As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Those Nutty Boardgames are At It TWICE (PRE and POST Pax Boardgame Nights)

• RandomAtomRandomAtom Registered User regular
    I just got my copy of Guts of Glory and I can bring CAH and Munchkin (Western Edition).

EAST 2014 Ticket[X] Hotel [X] Transport [ ] Plan [ ]
    Find me on Steam.
  • TeholTehol Registered User new member
    edited January 2014
    I got Drunk Quest and was thinking about getting pathfinder card game but I did not see that on the list so it might not be good? New to all these boardgames I am seeing but stoked to play some.

Tehol on
  • QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I scored a screaming deal on a 34" rolling duffel at Macy's, which I've found can easily fit a pretty good chunk of games. Couple that with Alaska's "2 checked bags free" for MVP Gold members, and I've officially got the ability to transit a pretty wide array of things to play.

Games that I will definitely be bringing:

-Caverna
    -Triassic Terror
    -A Study in Emerald
    -Merchant of Venus
    -Robinson Crusoe + expansion
    -Red Dragon Inn 1, 2, 3, 4 + all standalone expansion characters + special promo character
    -Terra Mystica
    -Ninja Burger (because Ninja Burger)
    -Probably my CAH box, if only for the fact that it's one of the only truly complete sets in existence. I'd loan it out, but would likely pass on playing it.

I'll be bringing 4 to 5 others I haven't decided on, dependent on A) whatever I'm in the mood for leading up to that week and B ) taking weight into consideration, as the bag has to stay < 50 pounds. Will also consider requests (if you can't figure out how to find my game collection, you shouldn't be requesting, I say :P). Sadly, no mondo-box games (Tide of Iron, Fortune & Glory, Axis & Allies, Chaostle, Francis Drake, etc.) just because of the volume they consume.

Quintious on
  • DisposableLemurDisposableLemur Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'll be bringing a handful of games, as well as a small dry erase board to let people know we have room available at the table. We're staying, and will be playing at the Westin.

We're bringing:

- The Resistance (5-10 Players)
    - Superfight (3-10 Players)
    - 7 Wonders (1-8 Players)
    - Ladies and Gentlemen (4-10 Players)
    - Bloodbound (6-12 Players)
    - Bang! (4-7 Players)

I'll have a few more games available, most likely, but that covers my large group games.

DisposableLemur on
  • gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Quintious wrote: »
    Games that I will definitely be bringing:

-Caverna
    -Triassic Terror
    -A Study in Emerald
    -Merchant of Venus
    -Robinson Crusoe + expansion
    -Red Dragon Inn 1, 2, 3, 4 + all standalone expansion characters + special promo character
    -Terra Mystica
    -Ninja Burger (because Ninja Burger)
    -Probably my CAH box, if only for the fact that it's one of the only truly complete sets in existence. I'd loan it out, but would likely pass on playing it.

Wow! These are all really great games. I really want to try Caverna, Merchant of Venus, and A Study in Emerald. I have Robinson Crusoe and IT IS AWESOME--I would always be up for a game of that. I looked at your collection. You have a lot of awesome board games. My requests Exodus: Proxima Centauri, Suburbia and Archipelago (if it's not too big). Which board game night do you plan to attend?
    We're bringing:

- The Resistance (5-10 Players)
    - Superfight (3-10 Players)
    - 7 Wonders (1-8 Players)
    - Ladies and Gentlemen (4-10 Players)
    - Bloodbound (6-12 Players)
    - Bang! (4-7 Players)

The Resistance and Bang! are two of my favorites. Great hidden role games! Same question--which location are you going to attend?

Will also consider requests (if you can't figure out how to find my game collection, you shouldn't be requesting, I say :P). Sadly, no mondo-box games (Tide of Iron, Fortune & Glory, Axis & Allies, Chaostle, Francis Drake, etc.) just because of the volume they consume.

Hmm...I kept looking at your collection, so many good games. I think Shadows Over Camelot is always a hit, and I have been wanting to play Mage Knight for along time now. Mice and Mystics also looks fun, and Power Grid never fails to please. These are not official requests, just suggestions if you decide to bring more. These are the games I would seek out to play. You, Sir, have excellent taste in games.

• iltailta Registered User regular
    Oh man, I NEED to play ladies and gentlemen. Please bring that!

• DisposableLemurDisposableLemur Registered User regular
    Edited my post, we'll be at the Westin. Ladies and Gentlemen is one of our favorites, and just get's better with more people/booze.

edited January 2014
    gonexall wrote: »

Wow! These are all really great games. I really want to try Caverna, Merchant of Venus, and A Study in Emerald. I have Robinson Crusoe and IT IS AWESOME--I would always be up for a game of that. I looked at your collection. You have a lot of awesome board games. My requests Exodus: Proxima Centauri, Suburbia and Archipelago (if it's not too big). Which board game night do you plan to attend?

I'll be at the Thursday game @ the Westin. Will also be hanging out in the tabletop area of the BCEC most of the weekend. I can bring Suburbia without issue (I also have the expansion Suburbia Inc., though I haven't added it to my collection yet as it just showed up this week). Archipelago is likely too big. Exodus....I don't know how to play it yet. It'll hit the table between now and then (I think it's planned to be the first game that hits the table when my Geek Chic table is finished in March) and I'll make a decision at that point as to what I think of it. Most of these games are meatier and take 2-5 hours to play, so most of em will never make it, regardless. Better to have and not need than need and not have, though.

Quintious on
  • SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'd REALLY like to try Caverna (being a HUGE Agricola fan) and Ladies and Gentlemen.

(I meaning my fiance and I, of course :))

Schmulki on
  • smorggiesmorggie Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I plan on bringing

Munchkin (several varieties)
    CAH
    Gloom (which is similar to Redshirts)

• teriwynteriwyn Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I haven't really got anything that isn't mentioned here, but my husband and I do plan on coming down to learn some new boardgames. Maybe we'll bring a duplicate of something popular, as well. We will have lots of games for the train-ride up, anyway.

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    @LexiconGrrl you have me down to volunteer, don't you?

Of course you do.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• TripleozeroTripleozero Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Hmm. I can bring:
    • Lords of Waterdeep + expansion (2-6 players | about 1-2 hrs | very fun Euro game);
    • Game of Thrones (3-6 players | stupidly long | high learning curve)
    • The Resistance (5-10 players | ≈ 20 min per round | great quick "who's the spy?" type game)
    • Sentinels of the Multiverse (Think everybody knows this one)
    • Cards Against Humanity + all expansions (Think everybody knows this one too!)
    • Pandemic 2nd ed. + expansions (2-5 players | 45 min | cooperative team-oriented game vs the board )

Tripleozero on
    By the way, I'm assuming this is on Thursday? (Don't say Wednesday, or I'll be sad, and nobody wants that.)
    I'll be at the Renaissance, but I can mosey over to the Westin if that's where the action is.

-Terra Mystica
    How is Terra Mystica? I always see the reviews are great, and was really thinking about buying it, but I'm not sure if I want to plop down $70 for it.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It is on Thursday, yes.

• SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    How is Terra Mystica? I always see the reviews are great, and was really thinking about buying it, but I'm not sure if I want to plop down $70 for it.

I played it a couple of times. Felt like multiplayer solitaire the whole time, and FAR too long for what it was. People tell me it's not, but there was so little interaction and so much of what I did was sit there staring at my own board.....I really didn't like it. And this is coming from someone who loves Euros.

• phillerphiller Registered User regular
    I'm likely to bring Zombie Fluxx as an emergency game, but I'm really really hoping I get my copy of Metagame in the mail before I leave for PAX. Be interesting to see how that plays out with new people!

All Kinds of Philler: A pop culture podcast remarkably free of filler!
    Twitter: @phillerworks || @AKOPpodcast || Steam: mr_philler
    PAX East '14 Locations: || Classic Console Freeplay || Tabletop Area || Long Wharf Pre-PAX Game Night (Come say hi or trade buttons!)
  • RichSoCashRichSoCash Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    philler wrote: »
    I'm likely to bring Zombie Fluxx as an emergency game, but I'm really really hoping I get my copy of Metagame in the mail before I leave for PAX. Be interesting to see how that plays out with new people!
    I bought this game before Prime last year. It's fun and harder than I thought it would be. Takes a good knowledge of video games and then putting an argument into words that sounds intelligent. I'll bring my copy and we can setup a game.

-Terra Mystica

If it's playing as solitaire (as someone else says after this post), it's not being played right. It's a fantastic game. Perhaps not worth ALL the hype it received over the last year due to the fact that if you wanted a copy, you were basically screwed unless you were willing to pay someone $200, but it really fires on all cylinders.

• UnnDunnUnnDunn New York, NYRegistered User regular
    I will be at the Westin, and I will be bringing Flame War. As well as my Zombie Dice (with the Double Feature expansion dice) and CAH (with expansions 1, 2 and 3.)

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    If someone can give me a time and a place and some contact information I'd be willing to bring the booze for the evening.

EDIT: When you all say "Pre Pax" do you mean Thursday night?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • iltailta Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    If someone can give me a time and a place and some contact information I'd be willing to bring the booze for the evening.

EDIT: When you all say "Pre Pax" do you mean Thursday night?

Yes, Thursday night, though generally there is gaming every night in the Westin lobby after the floor closes.

Since the Westin actually serves booze I think they'd take offense if you brought your own. Also there are going to be many many people, be careful about offering to bring "the booze". :)

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Hey all! Sorry for the extended absence: my computer bricked on me earlier this month and it's taken me a while to get back online. Mea Culpa!

Update: 1. Reachout to the Westin will be happening this week. 2. I'll be combing through all the posts since I last logged in and will answer any questions that haven't been addressed.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Oh they serve themselves? Yeah, that probably wouldn't go over.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • BoothbyPrimeBoothbyPrime Software Consultant New YorkRegistered User regular
    Hey all, I plan on attending again and bringing more than just me :)

I'll have Cards Against Humanity, Small World, and a couple of A Game of Thrones LCG decks with me for anyone that wants to play/learn that will definitely be where most of my evening is spent!

• SwordnStoneSwordnStone Registered User regular
    Pre-PAX boardgame night has been a major highlight for me for 3 years now! I'll be back again at the Westin with Betrayal at House on the Hill and Cards Against Humanity. I usually let people borrow CaH while I play Betrayal. I'm always up for teaching new players, so if you see me come and say hello!

Quit now and cake will be served immediately.
  • reverend_tobiasreverend_tobias Registered User regular
    We'll probably be showing up to this event this year since we're closer to the Westin. Last year I ran a game of Dungeon World at the Long Wharf, and I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in playing this year? It's a lite roleplaying game in the style of oldschool D&D adventures.

We'll probably be showing up to this event this year since we're closer to the Westin. Last year I ran a game of Dungeon World at the Long Wharf, and I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in playing this year? It's a lite roleplaying game in the style of oldschool D&D adventures.

I would be interested in this. In fact, I was thinking about starting another thread asking about roleplaying opportunities at Pax East. Although this is the third Pax, I have just recently gotten interested in roleplaying games. Dungeon World sounds perfect for a relative beginner like me. If this is going to happen, I'll get the book and make a character and any other player prep you would recommend.

• reverend_tobiasreverend_tobias Registered User regular
    DW requires 0 amount of prep from the player. Last year, the creators were at PAX East and selling copies of the book--not sure if they'll be there this year.

If you're open to other games, WotC will surely have a ton of opportunities to play D&D, and the Indie Games on Demand area is great for trying a variety of games (I'll be running DW over the weekend for sure, maybe other things too).

• dyeingbraddyeingbrad Registered User regular
    Me and my brother will be joining in (especially considering it's downstairs!) I really hope people bring BANG!, Munchkin (Cthulhu or Base) or some other good games I could try!

Kaladin wrote: »
    hey cany any one suggest to me what games i should buy that are easy to carry and easy to play? i went to a local shop (the battlegrounds) and they told me cthulhu dice or zombie dice.... any one know of a good game under $20 $30 if its really good

We Didn't Playtest This At All is cheap, silly fun, and very portable. And I can reccomend Cthulhu Dice as being enjoyable and easy to learn as well.

I can bring my Cthulhu dice so we won't have any shortage!

• teriwynteriwyn Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    dyeingbrad wrote: »
    Me and my brother will be joining in (especially considering it's downstairs!) I really hope people bring BANG!, Munchkin (Cthulhu or Base) or some other good games I could try!

I have BANG! and can bring it, but I admit we haven't played it, yet. In fact, it's still wrapped in plastic.

teriwyn wrote: »

I have BANG! and can bring it, but I admit we haven't played it, yet. In fact, it's still wrapped in plastic.

I will like love you forever and it's a blast!

• PorkchopPorkchop Registered User regular
    I've just started getting into board games (real board games, that is!) in the last few months. I think I'd love to try some out during PAX. Problem is, I hadn't planned on staying Thursday night--my Westin stay is Fri - Sun. Someone mentioned that board games at the Westin are still pretty popular after the show floor closes?

Also considering looking for a Thurs. night spot somewhere to take part, but we'll see about that. I generally take the train in early on Fri morning.

• GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    This was awesome last year. I had so much fun.

I'll have Gloom and CaH and maybe a few other games with me. Will be there a bit after the prepaxdinner

GhostDan on
  • AnnaRoyalAnnaRoyal North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Oh hi. I might come by and play some games with my friends. Here is a list of the games I currently have, I am sure by april I will have more as I like to frequent my local game store.

Smash up, with expansion The Obligatory Cthulhu Set
    In the City: Origins
    Coup (LOVE)
    Eaten by Zombies!
    The Resistance (SUPER LOVE)
    Ascension Chronicle of the God Slayer and the expansion Return of the Fallen
    Takenoko
    Munchkin Legends and Munchkin Booty
    Evil Baby Orphanage
    Dungen Roll

I am down to bring whatever. If someone has last night on earth that would be awesome. If not I am sure I can borrow my brothers or just go buy it myself.

=)

I love Tacos.
    WoW: BanAnnaPi#1341
    Steam: BanAnnaPie
    Origin: BanAnnaPie
    3DS Friend Code: 3840 - 6540 - 5643
    https://twitter.com/xAnnasaurusx
    AnnaRoyal wrote: »
    Oh hi. I might come by and play some games with my friends. Here is a list of the games I currently have, I am sure by april I will have more as I like to frequent my local game store.

Coup (LOVE)
    Eaten by Zombies!
    Takenoko
    Evil Baby Orphanage
    Dungen Roll

I am down to bring whatever. If someone has last night on earth that would be awesome. If not I am sure I can borrow my brothers or just go buy it myself.

=)

Omg I love Ascension <3

• AnnaRoyalAnnaRoyal North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    AnnaRoyal wrote: »

Coup (LOVE)
    Eaten by Zombies!
    Takenoko
    Evil Baby Orphanage
    Dungen Roll

=)

Omg I love Ascension <3

It is pretty fun, even more so when you buy up all the cards someone else wants... bwahahahaha (evil laugh) I will most def bring that. And prob Takenoko and Eaten by Zombies for sure.

I love Tacos.
    WoW: BanAnnaPi#1341
    Steam: BanAnnaPie
    Origin: BanAnnaPie
    3DS Friend Code: 3840 - 6540 - 5643
    https://twitter.com/xAnnasaurusx
This discussion has been closed.