As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Those Nutty Boardgames are At It TWICE (PRE and POST Pax Boardgame Nights)

• teriwynteriwyn Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    dyeingbrad wrote: »
    Omg I love Ascension <3

Ditto! Though I only have the base game, none of the expansions.

• QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    Quintious wrote: »
    I scored a screaming deal on a 34" rolling duffel at Macy's, which I've found can easily fit a pretty good chunk of games. Couple that with Alaska's "2 checked bags free" for MVP Gold members, and I've officially got the ability to transit a pretty wide array of things to play.

Games that I will definitely be bringing:

-Caverna
    -Triassic Terror
    -A Study in Emerald
    -Merchant of Venus
    -Robinson Crusoe + expansion
    -Red Dragon Inn 1, 2, 3, 4 + all standalone expansion characters + special promo character
    -Terra Mystica
    -Ninja Burger (because Ninja Burger)
    -Probably my CAH box, if only for the fact that it's one of the only truly complete sets in existence. I'd loan it out, but would likely pass on playing it.

I'll be bringing 4 to 5 others I haven't decided on, dependent on A) whatever I'm in the mood for leading up to that week and B ) taking weight into consideration, as the bag has to stay < 50 pounds. Will also consider requests (if you can't figure out how to find my game collection, you shouldn't be requesting, I say :P). Sadly, no mondo-box games (Tide of Iron, Fortune & Glory, Axis & Allies, Chaostle, Francis Drake, etc.) just because of the volume they consume.

Triassic Terror is out. Played it a few times and decided I'd rather just put it up for sale. CAH also out on the basis of a few people warning me that my set might not come back to me complete. Cutthroat Caverns (and all expansions), Game of Thrones (board game, not card), and Goblins, Inc. are in.

• AnnaRoyalAnnaRoyal North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I wish someone had Betrayal at House on the Hill. I would love you (as a friend cause come on we don't really know each other that well... ) if you did and brought it and played it with me. I am being serious right now. I want to own that game but no... I can't. =(

I love Tacos.
    WoW: BanAnnaPi#1341
    Steam: BanAnnaPie
    Origin: BanAnnaPie
    3DS Friend Code: 3840 - 6540 - 5643
    https://twitter.com/xAnnasaurusx
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Edit: looks like we're coming in early and will be there after all.

ANNOUNCEMENT - We had a scheduling fail this year and I can't get to the Westin until about 7 or 8 pm on Game Night. I need someone to set up and host from 4:00 till I get there. Any volunteers?

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    I'm going to have to make it to one of these events this year. Would be bringing Ascension (Rise of Vigil), Pandemic, possibly Chrononauts, and Munchkin. Can't wait!

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • SwordnStoneSwordnStone Registered User regular
    AnnaRoyal wrote: »
    I wish someone had Betrayal at House on the Hill. I would love you (as a friend cause come on we don't really know each other that well... ) if you did and brought it and played it with me. I am being serious right now. I want to own that game but no... I can't. =(

I do! And I'll be all evening and well into the night. Keep an eye out for me, I'd love to play with you! (It's such a great game, everyone should come play.)

Quit now and cake will be served immediately.
  • AnnaRoyalAnnaRoyal North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014

I do! And I'll be all evening and well into the night. Keep an eye out for me, I'd love to play with you! (It's such a great game, everyone should come play.)

OMG yay! I have been wanting to play this for some time now.

Oh hi. I might come by and play some games with my friends. Here is a list of the games I currently have, I am sure by april I will have more as I like to frequent my local game store.

Smash up, with expansion The Obligatory Cthulhu Set
    In the City: Origins
    Coup (LOVE)
    Eaten by Zombies!
    The Resistance (SUPER LOVE)
    Ascension Chronicle of the God Slayer and the expansion Return of the Fallen
    Takenoko
    Munchkin Legends and Munchkin Booty
    Evil Baby Orphanage
    Dungen Roll

I am down to bring whatever. If someone has last night on earth that would be awesome. If not I am sure I can borrow my brothers or just go buy it myself.

=)

So I went shopping this weekend and kinda bought a few more games. So here is what I got...

Dixit (might go back up there and get some expansions)
    Star Fluxx
    Cthulhu Gloom
    Cthulhu Munchkin
    Smashup Awesome lvl 9000 expansion
    Small world and be not afraid expansion
    Carcassonne and the traders n builders expansion

I also got some mini expansion thing for Eaten by Zombies.

=) I think I have a shopping problem when it comes to game... oh no.

AnnaRoyal on
    I love Tacos.
    WoW: BanAnnaPi#1341
    Steam: BanAnnaPie
    Origin: BanAnnaPie
    3DS Friend Code: 3840 - 6540 - 5643
    https://twitter.com/xAnnasaurusx
  • aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Probably bringing ... Gloom, Star Fluxx, Cthulhu Fluxx, Redshirts, various dice (Chtulhu, Zombie, RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock, Dungeon Roll) ... and maybe one other ... biggest issue is space ... Air Bloody Canada charges for all checked baggage to the U.S. (sad but i remember when airlines actually provided a service) so I have to watch what I bring weight wise ... (funny they don't charge for the first bag domestically)

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
    edited February 2014
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    Probably bringing ... Gloom, Star Fluxx, Cthulhu Fluxx, Redshirts, various dice (Chtulhu, Zombie, RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock, Dungeon Roll) ... and maybe one other ... biggest issue is space ... Air Bloody Canada charges for all checked baggage to the U.S. (sad but i remember when airlines actually provided a service) so I have to watch what I bring weight wise ... (funny they don't charge for the first bag domestically)

You can thank domestic US airlines for that. United (their Star Alliance partner in the US) started with a policy of not reciprocating AC's "overly generous" US:Canada checked bag policy, so AC rescinded theirs in response.

Quintious on
  • miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular

If I can find ya I'll join. My roommates been talking about the game so if I spot ya I'll certainly join ya!

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    Pre PAX Board Game Night is a personal highlight for me. I still remember playing Battlestar Galactica into the small hours while yelling I AM NOT A CYLON at my fellow players who refused to believe me to the point where they airlocked me, losing the game as the morale dropped to zero as I was indeed a human. *sigh*

Games I will be bringing with me from Old Timey Land AKA UK are as follows:

Euphoria - 2-6 players, 2-3 hours - Set a dystopian future it is worker placement game that is similar to Alien Frontiers as it uses dice as workers.
    Hanabi - 2-5 players, 30 minutes - Co-op card game that has players trying to match a set of 5 coloured cards by telling other players have in their hand, as they don't know what's in their own!
    Coup - 3-8 players, 20 minutes - Hidden role game where people try to work their way to the top of the Italian royal court in the renaissance period.
    Maskerade - 3-13 players, 20 minutes - Hidden role game in which people are trying to accrue 13 gold to win the game. No one knows who or what they are!
    Tales of the Arabian Nights - 2-6 players, 2-3 hours - Remember choose your own adventure books? Well this is one of those only in board game form. Make your way across medieval Arabia, Asia, Europe and Northern Africa to fulfil your destiny as a true adventurer. Be careful though as it is likely you be pursued by a scorned lover, crippled, turned into a monkey, go insane and worse still...get married. Yes all of these things are possible in this game and more.
    Chaos in the Old World - 2-5 players - 2-3 hours - Set in the Old World in the Warhammer universe, CitOW has players take on the role of chaos gods who are seeking to corrupt the Old World continent. An asymmetric area control game, each player has their own means of succeeding. Khorn is the most feared god and players will run from his brutal blood letters. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited February 2014
    kropotkin wrote: »
    Pre PAX Board Game Night is a personal highlight for me. I still remember playing Battlestar Galactica into the small hours while yelling I AM NOT A CYLON at my fellow players who refused to believe me to the point where they airlocked me, losing the game as the morale dropped to zero as I was indeed a human. *sigh*

Games I will be bringing with me from Old Timey Land AKA UK are as follows:

Euphoria - 2-6 players, 2-3 hours - Set a dystopian future it is worker placement game that is similar to Alien Frontiers as it uses dice as workers.
    Hanabi - 2-5 players, 30 minutes - Co-op card game that has players trying to match a set of 5 coloured cards by telling other players have in their hand, as they don't know what's in their own!
    Coup - 3-8 players, 20 minutes - Hidden role game where people try to work their way to the top of the Italian royal court in the renaissance period.
    Maskerade - 3-13 players, 20 minutes - Hidden role game in which people are trying to accrue 13 gold to win the game. No one knows who or what they are!
    Tales of the Arabian Nights - 2-6 players, 2-3 hours - Remember choose your own adventure books? Well this is one of those only in board game form. Make your way across medieval Arabia, Asia, Europe and Northern Africa to fulfil your destiny as a true adventurer. Be careful though as it is likely you be pursued by a scorned lover, crippled, turned into a monkey, go insane and worse still...get married. Yes all of these things are possible in this game and more.
    Chaos in the Old World - 2-5 players - 2-3 hours - Set in the Old World in the Warhammer universe, CitOW has players take on the role of chaos gods who are seeking to corrupt the Old World continent. An asymmetric area control game, each player has their own means of succeeding. Khorn is the most feared god and players will run from his brutal blood letters. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!

I believe you're the gent that I've played w/ at Prime for a couple of years. If that's the case, you can replace Euphoria w/ something else if you like, as I'll be bringing my Supreme Edition copy, as I would be happy to have you at my table again.

Quintious on
    DISCUSSIONS WITH THE WESTIN HAVE COMMENCED. RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    and then let slip the dogs of war ..... B)

aBByNormaL on
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!

Ha! Well Played!

I almost added 'and then let slip the dogs of Warmachine' but it made it sound like a minis-only night. So I didn't.

• SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Air Bloody Canada charges for all checked baggage to the U.S. (sad but i remember when airlines actually provided a service) so I have to watch what I bring weight wise ... (funny they don't charge for the first bag domestically)

If that's the case, take a look at the cost to ship extra stuff. Might be cheaper (I know it's been cheaper in the past for me within the US).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3UIXWVh55o&amp;t=5m49s (you can stop after that scene ends.

Awright you crazy kids, the Westin is onboard. We're getting TWO game nights this year! As you leave PAX on Sunday night, you now have the option to continue to crack out on games, gaming, noshies, drinking, and generally doing all the awesome stuff you don't want to end after the Omegathon. Consider it a PAX extension. Details are in the OP.

gerafin wrote: »
    Some good visual shorthand for "we have room for more players" is to simply hold the box cover of the game you're playing over your head. This works well to catch the attention of people wandering around, looking for open spots.

So this is just my personal opinion, but I don't love this technique. I know it's popular with the Board Game enforcers during PAX, but it's exhausting and doesn't seem to work any better than just putting the box top vertically on the table. That said, you're certainly encouraged to do whatever you're happy doing in order to procure players!

Cryana wrote: »
    I will try to bring games but they need a better way to travel. I wonder if knitting cozies for my boardgames would work? My Lords of Waterdeep box took a serious hammering this Christmas.

I actually thought about designing and selling some travelling game wraps too, we have the same problem. Have you seen those rolled paintbrush holders? What about the same design? Basically a long, flat piece of fabric with pockets and zip pouches sewn in. You load it up with your game pieces, roll it up and tie it like a sleeping bag (only smaller).

pureval wrote: »
    Is anyone else planning/thinking about bringing kids to this? I will probably be bringing my 7 year old and was debating grabbing one or two of his games. Anyone for Don't Break the Ice?

This is one of the better events to bring kids for. Just remember that language and nerds can be adult-strength. But it's intentionally an all-ages event.

mentok1982 wrote: »
    Has anyone started a list of the games that can or will be there?

Just getting to it today. Housekeeping. Look in the OP.

gonexall wrote: »
    I would also suggest to people who are more timid that they think about attending at the Long Wharf, if it is convenient to do so (obviously, not if they are staying at the Westin!). I think it was easier for people to meet and form groups because it was much less crowded.

You read my mind. It'll be on the OP by the end of editing today.

@Mentok1982 - At PAX Prime we implemented a couple of changes that worked really well, and today I got confirmation from the Westin that we'll be doing the same thing again. One is table numbers on the tables. Each table will have a number and a tent card with the drinks/food menu. It's not a good idea to add anything more than that on the tables, since people are trying to play games instead of having the tabletops cluttered up with more than that. So instead, we'll have a game matchup service at the info table (which will be at the bottom of the escalator this year). There will be a map of table numbers to make it easier.

One thing to consider with this event is that it's a) really, really big and b) has no formal authority so it has to be self-managing. Each game night gets better organized than the last as we expand and find ways to keep the experience good for everyone. Your suggestions are absolutely on the right track, thanks for the ideas!

@miker525 @mentok1982 - if one of you wants to update the spreadsheet, I'll link it in the OP. The long, simple list of games will be in the OP itself, but it would be great to have a spreadsheet with game links and more data. I just don't have the bandwidth to maintain it, and it doesn't look like anybody's added themselves to it yet.

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Hey the Long Wharf is starting at 7pm BTW :)

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

Hey the Long Wharf is starting at 7pm BTW :)

Updated, thanks!

• msuroomsuroo Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Omg, post PAX game night. Mind blown.

Ok, looking over the list in the OP, I don't see K2 or Cosmic Encounter, so definitely bringing those along. We'll probably bring more, but will sort that out as the date gets closer.

msuroo on
  • GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    @Mentok1982 - At PAX Prime we implemented a couple of changes that worked really well, and today I got confirmation from the Westin that we'll be doing the same thing again. One is table numbers on the tables.

Have you ever been to a brazilian steak house? At the tables they have cards that you can change from green to red depending on if you want more delicious steak and such to be delivered to your table.. It may be too late to do this this year, but I wonder if a system like that would work for next year. Green means we need/encourage more players, red means we are full up.

GhostDan wrote: »
    @Mentok1982 - At PAX Prime we implemented a couple of changes that worked really well, and today I got confirmation from the Westin that we'll be doing the same thing again. One is table numbers on the tables.

Have you ever been to a brazilian steak house? At the tables they have cards that you can change from green to red depending on if you want more delicious steak and such to be delivered to your table.. It may be too late to do this this year, but I wonder if a system like that would work for next year. Green means we need/encourage more players, red means we are full up.

Not a bad idea, as long as it wouldn't add any more 'bits' to the tabletop. We'll see what they have.

• RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    But then how would I let people know to bring me moar meat?

2013 Prime Omeganaut
    I'm coming armed with a bag of balloons, some wooden blocks, some string, and a small canister of helium. If you see the balloon flying high at my table, there's a game. If you don't, there's not.

• miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    @miker525 @mentok1982 - if one of you wants to update the spreadsheet, I'll link it in the OP. The long, simple list of games will be in the OP itself, but it would be great to have a spreadsheet with game links and more data. I just don't have the bandwidth to maintain it, and it doesn't look like anybody's added themselves to it yet.

I'll work on updating that Sunday and Monday. I'll go through and add what I can add. I'll shoot ya a PM when it's updated if that's cool with you

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Update for me. I'm in a hotel near the Long Wharf Thursday and Friday, then switch to the Westin Saturday and Sunday. Thus, I'll probably go to the Long Wharf game night on Thursday (also very close to the pre-pax forum dinner), but plan to come to the Westin post-board game night on Sunday (since I'm in the Westin that night). When listing games that will be there and games that are requested, should we have a separate list for each Westin event? I'll bring Citadels, but will likely only be there on Sunday.

gonexall on
    edited February 2014
    Long explanations for the edification of anyone who cares:

Note About the Game List
    This is a huge event. There will be hundreds of people, the majority of whom aren't even on the forums and will discover the event as they enter the Westin. Many forumers who post here won't be able to find a seat or will change their plans.

The list in the OP is advisory only, with the only rule being that since so many people like to discuss possible games on the thread, I don't add it to the list until someone says "Yes, I for sure definitely plan to bring this game." Even though that still doesn't set it in stone, it keeps the list fairly accurate. I will not have the game list with me on the night of the event. It's up to individuals who wish to meet up there to make their own plans.

That said, it's nice to have a link or some deets about each game on the spreadsheet.

@miker525 - Thanks for the offer to update the spreadsheet! It's linked already, no need to PM

Note About Table Flags
    The biggest challenge for this event is not how to fill up the game at your table. Games tend to fill up very quickly, even with no discernible invitation. The larger issue is that we have way more games than their owners can run at one time. Someone may bring 5 games, and 20 people may be looking for a group, but only 5 are playing and the rest of the games are on the floor under the owner's table.

What ends up happening is that we have a lot of game micro libraries on the floor, and the priority becomes finding a way to match borrowers up with lenders without the stress and complexity of a game checkout station. I can not stress this enough - there are not staff at this event, and Lexi (that's me) is too old and crotchety to stay up all night hunting down folks who decided to leave their games while they went elsewhere till 4AM.

SO! Here's the system that worked really well at Prime which will be in place at East...

1. There will be a highly visible info table to act as a coordination point.

2. A person with games to lend can check in there with their table number if they want to. (note the correct usage of "There" and "Their")

3. A person looking for games will be sent off to a table with lendable games.

4. The owner and the borrower are responsible to exchange contact information and the game handoff happens there at the table.

The system becomes self-managing, and Micro lending libraries are available to everyone. The added benefit is that it cuts way down on abuse of the games because everyone meets in person and there's less of a sense of anonymity when borrowing.

LexiconGrrl on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    @Mentok1982 - At PAX Prime we implemented a couple of changes that worked really well, and today I got confirmation from the Westin that we'll be doing the same thing again. One is table numbers on the tables. Each table will have a number and a tent card with the drinks/food menu. It's not a good idea to add anything more than that on the tables, since people are trying to play games instead of having the tabletops cluttered up with more than that. So instead, we'll have a game matchup service at the info table (which will be at the bottom of the escalator this year). There will be a map of table numbers to make it easier.

One thing to consider with this event is that it's a) really, really big and b) has no formal authority so it has to be self-managing. Each game night gets better organized than the last as we expand and find ways to keep the experience good for everyone. Your suggestions are absolutely on the right track, thanks for the ideas!

I got no problem with that plan. Sounds great!

I can't really update the spreadsheet because I do all my foruming at work and Google docs is blocked. Miker525 has it under control though. :)

Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    edited February 2014
    I'll probably go to the Long Wharf game night on Thursday

As noted in the OP, please post your info to the Mariott thread (also linked in the OP).

When listing games that will be there and games that are requested, should we have a separate list for each Westin event?

No, for the reasons listed in the long post immediately above this one. (TL;DR: the event is too big and unpredictable.)

LexiconGrrl on
  • PitBull008PitBull008 Registered User regular
    Need to update this but it seems like most of my games are already being brought. I would however like to play/see firefall if possible!
    http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/pitbull008?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

Also, coming up to Boston with 5 close friends, so we'll have a bunch of board games between us and we would love to play with you guys! If you're shy, find us with the pax scarfs and obnoxious laughter. If that isn't descriptive enough, well - that's okay ;)

Is there a Firefall board game?

• PitBull008PitBull008 Registered User regular
    Yessssss !! I assume it plays similarly to a combination of BSG and Space alert, since I believe it's coop? I've been meaning to buy it but have not yet ..
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/138161/firefly-the-game

Ah - Firefly, not Firefall. Looks fun!

• iltailta Registered User regular
    I will almost certainly be bringing firefly. It's not coop or real time -- it's a pick up and deliver game. But it's fun!

This discussion has been closed.