As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Those Nutty Boardgames are At It TWICE (PRE and POST Pax Boardgame Nights)

• okayreneokayrene Registered User regular
    I can bring Werewolf & Munchkin Zombies.

• petrieslastwordpetrieslastword Syracuse, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I've never been to PAX before, but have a sizable collection of games I could bring. Betrayal at House on the Hill, Last Night on Earth, Ibnvasion from Outer Space, Carcassonne, along with lots I've bought but never gotten to play. If there's interest though I'll gladly bring some along, I'm dying to get them to the table:

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/petrieslastword

The full list.

I figure I'll bring smaller stuff like Cthulu Dice and Fluxx either way just to have in my bag.

petrieslastword on
  • SwordnStoneSwordnStone Registered User regular
    During PAX there is a boardgame library where you can borrow games to play if you don't want to try to bring a whole bunch of games yourself.
    People are really good here about not losing pieces, but accidents do happen, so keep that in mind when bringing a bunch of games.

Quit now and cake will be served immediately.
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The two events that this thread is about are outside of pax and do not pull from the pax game library. That /is/ good advice but isn't really applicable here.

• QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    I've never been to PAX before, but have a sizable collection of games I could bring. Betrayal at House on the Hill, Last Night on Earth, Ibnvasion from Outer Space, Carcassonne, along with lots I've bought but never gotten to play. If there's interest though I'll gladly bring some along, I'm dying to get them to the table:

The full list.

I figure I'll bring smaller stuff like Cthulu Dice and Fluxx either way just to have in my bag.

If you can teach Invasion from Outer Space, I'll sit with you. I've owned that game for about a year and it's still in shrink.

• petrieslastwordpetrieslastword Syracuse, NYRegistered User regular
    Quintious wrote: »

The full list.

If you can teach Invasion from Outer Space, I'll sit with you. I've owned that game for about a year and it's still in shrink.

Have you played Last Night on Earth or no experience with either? The systems are similar enough to require little effort to learn between them.

If not i'm more than happy as I love the game but people always prefer the zombie theme.

• apparentlymaryleeapparentlymarylee Jersey City, NJRegistered User regular
    Edited my post, we'll be at the Westin. Ladies and Gentlemen is one of our favorites, and just get's better with more people/booze.

I'm so there.

• FugitoidFugitoid New York, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I'll be there for thursday and sunday. I'll be volunteering gor the pokecrawl so I'll be leaving early thursday, but I'll be bringing Zombicide! Zombicide, for those who don't know, is a cooperative survival horror boardgame, I love it!

Fugitoid on
  • RenneesmeRenneesme Registered User regular
    Super excited for this! Planning on being at the pre and post board game sessions. But, like Fugitoid, I'll be leaving early Thursday for the Pokecrawl. I'm excited since I don't have too much experience with board games besides the typical (Monopoly, Life, etc) and some cards like CAH so I'm so excited to learn! I've been looking up the games that you guys have mentioned and I'm pretty excited. Seriously wanna try 2R1B.
    Are most people pretty open for teaching those of us who haven't tried the game before? Is it something we (my boyfriend and I) should mentioning before we join a game or not?

3DS FC: 4382-3356-7103
    Renneesme wrote: »
    Super excited for this! Planning on being at the pre and post board game sessions. But, like Fugitoid, I'll be leaving early Thursday for the Pokecrawl. I'm excited since I don't have too much experience with board games besides the typical (Monopoly, Life, etc) and some cards like CAH so I'm so excited to learn! I've been looking up the games that you guys have mentioned and I'm pretty excited. Seriously wanna try 2R1B.
    Are most people pretty open for teaching those of us who haven't tried the game before? Is it something we (my boyfriend and I) should mentioning before we join a game or not?

I can't speak for everyone but I personally love to teach new games to people, it's sharing something I love. I have found this to be true of everyone I have interacted with at past board game nights. approaching new people about learning a game was so easy and everyone was very welcoming.

Thanks so much, Fugitoid! See you at the Pre-Pax AND Pokecrawl :smile:

Renneesme wrote: »
    Thanks so much, Fugitoid! See you at the Pre-Pax AND Pokecrawl :smile:
    have you selected a team? come join blue white!

Haven't chosen one yet! BUT I have a shirt to wear that would work for either blue or yellow: It's a blue shirt with Pikachu... soooooooo I could technically do either!

• jj4thjj4th Registered User regular
    Looking forward to it! I will bring:
    Also interested in anyone wanting to play a 2-player Dragon Dice.

• nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I will be bringing Paint the Line (It's only a two player game, but still very enjoyable).

• apparentlymaryleeapparentlymarylee Jersey City, NJRegistered User regular
    Quick questions, since this is two nights, are people attending both or specifying which day they'll be there? This is my first PAX so I'm clueless as to how everything goes. I started a monthly game night among my friends and it's been a blast so I can't wait to do it on a grander scale. :)

• IronChefBobbyFlailIronChefBobbyFlail Registered User new member
    I'm flying solo for this years PAX and am a total board game noob (but willing to play damn near anything haha). If anyone is looking for an extra, fire me a message!

Quick questions, since this is two nights, are people attending both or specifying which day they'll be there? This is my first PAX so I'm clueless as to how everything goes. I started a monthly game night among my friends and it's been a blast so I can't wait to do it on a grander scale. :)
    I'm sure some are only attending one, but there's nothing stopping anyone from attending both.

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Both ! .....

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • sigmabetasigmabeta Registered User new member
    I'll be coming, and I'll bring the following:

Settlers of Catan
    Ticket to Ride: Europe
    Shadows Over Camelot

SoC and TTR are pretty basic games, so I guess I'm not surprised that they're not on the list - but they aren't, and intro games would be great if anyone intends to bring a guest who is not way into board games. So whatever. I'm bringing them. Dealwithit.gif

Shadows Over Camelot looks really cool, and I recently bought it but haven't actually gotten a chance to play it. So I'm hoping someone would be willing to run the game. But if not, I'm down for a learning experience!

• iltailta Registered User regular
    sigmabeta wrote: »
    I'll be coming, and I'll bring the following:

Settlers of Catan
    Ticket to Ride: Europe
    Shadows Over Camelot

SoC and TTR are pretty basic games, so I guess I'm not surprised that they're not on the list - but they aren't, and intro games would be great if anyone intends to bring a guest who is not way into board games. So whatever. I'm bringing them. Dealwithit.gif

Shadows Over Camelot looks really cool, and I recently bought it but haven't actually gotten a chance to play it. So I'm hoping someone would be willing to run the game. But if not, I'm down for a learning experience!

SoC is a fun game, you'll really like it. For my money I'd rather play Battlestar for a deep experience, or Coup/Resistance/Werewolf for a light experience, but it sits pretty happily in between for a middle-weight game you can play in one sitting even with new people. You'll get it right away.

• epicfailzepicfailz Plymouth, MIRegistered User regular
    I think I'm going to have to change my check-in time for earlier in the day so I can make it to the shindig a little earlier. I will probably only bring small things to play like Coup, Hanabi and my Netrunner decks.

I will be coming with about 4 other Netrunner players. Maybe we can get some games in?

• elbarroelbarro Registered User regular
    This is my first year at PAX, so I will definitely be attending the Sunday meet up!

• Melnik_FeatherfootMelnik_Featherfoot Registered User new member
    My friends and I plan on attending at least one night. I'll be bringing along assorted games on the list plus Elder Sign.

• amu_gamesamu_games Registered User regular
    I didn't get the stupid excitement for PAX until reading this thread. Now I am STOKED! I'm flying up, but have some friends that are driving and may have spare cargo room. Once I talk to them I'll confirm what games I can bring. I don't see King of Tokyo on the list, so if they have room I'll bring that but don't add it to the list yet.

• mr_effmr_eff MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    We'll probably be showing up to this event this year since we're closer to the Westin. Last year I ran a game of Dungeon World at the Long Wharf, and I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in playing this year? It's a lite roleplaying game in the style of oldschool D&D adventures.
    I played in that Dungeon World game last year. It was a ton of fun and I'd love to do it again.

I could bring my Jenga tower if anyone is interested in trying Dread. In addition, I'll definitely have my Netrunner decks, Hanabi, Masquerade, Coup, Love Letter, and probably Skull & Roses. I'd be up for playing Betrayal at House on the Hill too.

Last year I started at the Westin, couldn't find a game, but eventually found plenty to do at the Long Warf. I'll probably use the same game plan this year.

I'm going to have Zombicide at the westin hopefully both days. It is a great co-op game playing in the midtst of the zombie apocolyps. Games are plot driven requiring you to meed the set objectives while not getting turned into an undead snack.

• elbarroelbarro Registered User regular
    Just checking this is for all all ages right? (17 over here) also is there any cost? Or is it just a show up and play thing?

elbarro wrote: »
    Just checking this is for all all ages right? (17 over here) also is there any cost? Or is it just a show up and play thing?
    All ages, free.

• OuterHaven37OuterHaven37 Registered User regular
    Can't wait for these nights!

• DannyfnlanzaDannyfnlanza Registered User regular
    I'm a local Tabletop Game Designer here in Boston. I'll be at PAX at the Tabletop Arena booth showing off some of my new games that'll be on Indiegogo. I'd love to come by the Hotel and play some games with you guys. I can bring some of the ones I've created as well for people to enjoy...hopefully... =)

The Games I'd bring would be

Zodiak Legends: A Semi-CCG with a dice battle mechanic (2-4 players). 12+ if you like PVP games or TCG's/CCG's, you'll like this game.

Henchmen!: A game about the tough lives of henchmen in today's evil society. It plays like a mixture of Dominion and Munchkin (2-6 players). 12+

Slander!: A party game where players accuse each other of doing terrible things using cards with only illustrations and the imagination of the players (3-8 players). -probably not so kid friendly depending on the group...

Can't wait!

• RichSoCashRichSoCash Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    300 seats is a lot, but it's gonna be overcrowded just like last year

• dan.blancharddan.blanchard Registered User regular
    I'll be there as always. I'm trying to travel light this year, but I'll be bringing:
    • Adventure Time: Card Wars - Finn vs Jake
    • Adventure Time: Card Wars - BMO vs Lady Rainicorn
    • Alien Frontiers
    • The Resistance
    • Romans Go Home

I'm mostly bringing my iPad Air for gaming in line, but on that I've got:
    • Agricola
    • Ascension
    • Carcassonne
    • Ghost Stories
    • Lords of Waterdeep
    • Small World
    • Stone Age
    • Suburbia
    • Summoner Wars
    • Ticket to Ride

I know playing on the iPad isn't quite the same, but it's a good backup plan if every copy of Suburbia is in use. :smiley:

• gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Westin!

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    So this will seem like kind of an odd question, but....what colour is the carpet @ the Westin's conference room? I'm thinking of finding a way to stuff 'Crazy Monkey Coconuts' into my rolling duffel 'o games, but I don't want the damn coconuts to get lost because they blend in with the floor and nobody wants to get on their hands and knees (also known as 'sitting ass level') in a room full of gamers in order to find them.

• warringkingdomwarringkingdom Registered User regular
    Fantastic! I will bring copies of my brainchild Warring Kingdom, and would be happy to demo/teach anyone on how to play! I'll also bring Revolution! and Munchkin (with all expansions)

• forty2jforty2j Registered User new member
    edited March 2014
    So, this will be my wife & I's first PAX. We've done a few GenCons, one NYCC, and lately Dreammations in NJ, but PAX feels like an entirely different animal.

What's the protocol for the post-con event? Is there an RSVP, or do you just show up and wade through the sea of humans at the hotel and hope there's games open?

Also, if one wants to bring games but is staying at one of the hotels 3 miles away, is there a better option than lugging them around the con all day?

forty2j on
  • CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    forty2j wrote: »
    So, this will be my wife & I's first PAX. We've done a few GenCons, one NYCC, and lately Dreammations in NJ, but PAX feels like an entirely different animal.

Also, if one wants to bring games but is staying at one of the hotels 3 miles away, is there a better option than lugging them around the con all day?

That's because PAX is a Wombat. No one else does Wombats.

also, pre-con it won't be an all day...post-con maybe bag check it?

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • Eric510Eric510 Brooklyn, NYRegistered User new member
    Can't believe nobody's mentioned Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre. I'm bring that with me!

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Okay, the game list has been updated in the OP.
    Quintious wrote: »
    ....what colour is the carpet @ the Westin's conference room?
    We're getting the mezzanine and Sauciety restaurant, not a conference room. There's probably only room on the mezzanine for a floor game, but not a lot. The carpet there is a typical don't-show-the-dirt busy pattern. Unless you meant the conference room, in which case ignore the statement above.

What's the protocol for the post-con event? Is there an RSVP, or do you just show up and wade through the sea of humans at the hotel and hope there's games open?

You just show up. No RSVP needed. People game wherever they can: on tables, floors, nooks and crannys... It's pretty awesome but can definitely get crowded. This is the first year we're having it Post-Con so I have no idea how soon it will fill up.

Not an official way, no. But PAX is a lot about community and making friends. Ask around on your first couple of days and see if you make any new friends who are staying at the Westin who might hold on to them for you. Otherwise, you can always go back to your hotel after the con and bring your games to game night. Just have someone save your seat :)

Eric510 wrote: »
    Can't believe nobody's mentioned Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre. I'm bring that with me!
    Thank you for rectifying this rather glaring error.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
This discussion has been closed.