As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Those Nutty Boardgames are At It TWICE (PRE and POST Pax Boardgame Nights)

• YPP_MentleYPP_Mentle Registered User new member
    Would there be any interest for Space Cadets/ Space Cadets Dice Duel? I'd like to bring them, but I'd want to make sure they aren't just a waste of space.

Can't wait toget hopelessly lost in Boston play more games!

• TripleozeroTripleozero Registered User regular
    I'll be there as always. I'm trying to travel light this year, but I'll be bringing:

• Lords of Waterdeep
    I know playing on the iPad isn't quite the same, but it's a good backup plan if every copy of Suburbia is in use. :smiley:

Come find us if you want to play the boxed version of Waterdeep. The expansion makes it a whole new experience.

• QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    I've had Space Cadets forever and have never been able to get it on the table. I'd have interest, but can't guarantee I'd find the time.

• iltailta Registered User regular
    YPP_Mentle wrote: »
    Would there be any interest for Space Cadets/ Space Cadets Dice Duel? I'd like to bring them, but I'd want to make sure they aren't just a waste of space.

Can't wait toget hopelessly lost in Boston play more games!

After Ladies and Gentlemen Space Cadets is probably the other game at the top of the list of games I'd really love to try. Dice Duel looks fun too, and honestly might be a better choice for the con since it plays faster.

• BCBarneyBCBarney Registered User regular
    I've played SC Dice Duel once and would love to play it again. Hopefully I can find you on Thursday!

• SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    I've never played either, but both looked fun. I'd definitely be up for trying one/both.

• The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    Just got Boss Monster last night and will be bringing it along with me.

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Hey Everybody! This is your one-week countdown notice. PAX Starts in one week, and we're looking forward to a fantastic kickoff with the game nights!

Don't forget that there's an alternative meetup at the Mariott LongWharf, organized by @halfazedninja. If you're more shy or don't like big groups, consider heading over there. It's a more chill, smaller, quieter meetup that's really personal and fun. Ninja does a.. well, Ninja job with coordinating it.

Also don't forget that the hotels give us the space, service and tables for this event for free. It's a really big deal that we've been able to negotiate so much from the hotels and it doesn't happen every day. Be sure to order generously from the bar and restaurant while you're there. That's how we pay for this event.

Have fun, and see you all next week! PAAAAAAAXXXXX!!!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Yeah guys! The Waterline is giving us a little more space than last year and were going to have drink specials and stuff. Swing by!

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014

Don't forget that there's an alternative meetup at the Mariott LongWharf, organized by @halfazedninja. If you're more shy or don't like big groups, consider heading over there. It's a more chill, smaller, quieter meetup that's really personal and fun. Ninja does a.. well, Ninja job with coordinating it

Thanks for the mention. However, I would say shy folks will have as good a time at the Westin as the Long Wharf. The criteria I would use for which one to go to is which is closer to where you are staying. l wouldn't want anyone walking from the Westin just because they feel it will be easier to meet folks at the Long Wharf. Nor should anyone staying at the Long Wharf feel they need to walk to the Westin because they are looking for something bustling and lively. The Long Wharf is smaller but was extremely lively last year, and this year we are likely to be even more so.

We had a good mix of people at the Long Wharf last year--some seemed shy, some very outgoing, but everyone had a great time. I am sure that the same goes for the Westin. I recommend going to the game night that is close to you're hotel so you can stay late!

gonexall on
  • akiboshiakiboshi Registered User regular
    Just went through a round of Arkham Horror this past weekend and was really enjoyable, but it took 5 hours!!!

Are there any games that are remotely similar on tap this year but don't require such a long commitment?

akiboshi wrote: »
    Just went through a round of Arkham Horror this past weekend and was really enjoyable, but it took 5 hours!!!

Are there any games that are remotely similar on tap this year but don't require such a long commitment?

There's a sequel (sorta) called Eldritch Horror that came out recently. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but's supposed to be a streamlined and fun, but similar.

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Looks like I'll be making it for this, although probably later in the evening. If anyone is looking for a particular game that's not on the list yet, I'll be happy to bring it down (I'm local) - my collection can be found here.

Thanks as always for putting this together, @LexiconGrrl‌ - you rock in so many ways!

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

edited April 2014

Yeah, Arkham is a meatier game. You didn't specifically state what it was you liked about it though by which you're looking for similarity. As someone mentioned, Eldritch Horror is a slimmed down version of it. If it's the theme that drew you in and not the mechanics, 'A Study in Emerald' might be to your liking, or 'Mansions of Madness'. If it's the co-op nature coupled with a horror theme, 'Betrayal at House on the Hill' has some similarities, as does 'Ghost Stories'. Mechanically, 'A Touch of Evil' is a *much* lighter interpretation on the mechanics of AH.

If theme doesn't matter to you at all and you just want games you'll enjoy based upon the idea you enjoyed AH, I'd take a look at 'Defenders of the Realm', 'Castle Ravenloft' or 'Wrath of Ashardalon'.

Quintious on
    Khadour wrote: »
    Looks like I'll be making it for this, although probably later in the evening. If anyone is looking for a particular game that's not on the list yet, I'll be happy to bring it down (I'm local) - my collection can be found here.

Thanks as always for putting this together, @LexiconGrrl‌ - you rock in so many ways!

If you know how to play 'Ground Floor', I'd be interested in learning it. Just recently picked that one up.

Quintious wrote: »

Yeah, Arkham is a meatier game. You didn't specifically state what it was you liked about it though by which you're looking for similarity. As someone mentioned, Eldritch Horror is a slimmed down version of it. If it's the theme that drew you in and not the mechanics, 'A Study in Emerald' might be to your liking, or 'Mansions of Madness'. If it's the co-op nature coupled with a horror theme, 'Betrayal at House on the Hill' has some similarities, as does 'Ghost Stories'. Mechanically, 'A Touch of Evil' is a *much* lighter interpretation on the mechanics of AH.

If theme doesn't matter to you at all and you just want games you'll enjoy based upon the idea you enjoyed AH, I'd take a look at 'Defenders of the Realm', 'Castle Ravenloft' or 'Wrath of Ashardalon'.

What I liked was the Co-Op nature of the game, plus the RPG elements. Character cards, equipment, spells, traits, etc. It could have had a medieval theme or a space theme, doesn't matter to me. It looks like Elder Signs is going to be at the gaming night, so maybe I can get a game of that in. Too bad Eldritch Horror isn't though.

• warringkingdomwarringkingdom Registered User regular
    Wooo, 3 days until the pre-party, WOOHOO!
    I'll be there 5ish to start teaching Warring Kingdom, and hope to stay until "late late late" :D

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    we should be rolling in sometime after 7 (prepax dinner) but may pop through 4ish before we head out to it.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!

What I liked was the Co-Op nature of the game, plus the RPG elements. Character cards, equipment, spells, traits, etc. It could have had a medieval theme or a space theme, doesn't matter to me. It looks like Elder Signs is going to be at the gaming night, so maybe I can get a game of that in. Too bad Eldritch Horror isn't though.

Elder Sign is a dice rolling game - completely different. I'd say you would likely enjoy Descent, but it's a long game, as well. Look for a game of Betrayal (as above) and that'll suit you well. You'd also likely get a kick out of 'Mice & Mystics'.

Elder Sign is a dice rolling game - completely different. I'd say you would likely enjoy Descent, but it's a long game, as well. Look for a game of Betrayal (as above) and that'll suit you well. You'd also likely get a kick out of 'Mice & Mystics'.

perhaps i'm misinterpreting this, but isn't Arkham Horror dice rolling too? Or I may just need an explanation on what 'dice-rolling' means.

• XirycXiryc Middleburg Hts, OHRegistered User regular
    Almost the entirety of Elder Sign is dice rolling. Arkham Horror has more to it than that. Both games are awesome.

I will be bringing Boss Monster and Cold War: CIA vs. KGB with me for sure. I might try to bring one more game with me.

• kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    I think I might have to come by once I arrive in Boston

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • OldSkoolJOldSkoolJ Registered User new member
    I will be bringing Eons, Firefly, Settlers of Catan, and Betrayal at House on the Hill. And will be playing in the Westin.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    I'll be on site by about 2:30 or 3:00 this year to set up. In the past I've kinda blown off the opening of the game night but it's getting too big so... yeah. If you have questions or whatever, there will be a big, bright table with lots of signage and stuff and info at the bottom of the escalators this year. Shit's gettin' real, y'all!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    I'll be on site by about 2:30 or 3:00 this year to set up. In the past I've kinda blown off the opening of the game night but it's getting too big so... yeah. If you have questions or whatever, there will be a big, bright table with lots of signage and stuff and info at the bottom of the escalators this year. Shit's gettin' real, y'all!

I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off on Thursday, but can probably swing by and drop a few boxes of games for opening if you'd like (and, of course, say howdy :smile:). I won't get there proper until later in the evening - have people to pick up from the airport, dinner, etc.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

Getting real people ... I have been down with sheer amount of work I must complete before I leave but so looking forward to this and making some new friends !!

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!

If you know how to play 'Ground Floor', I'd be interested in learning it. Just recently picked that one up.

I've only gotten it to the table once, and that was more than six months back, so I don't think I'd be very good at teaching it. I will happily bring it, but I think my game dance card is filling up rapidly, so I doubt I'd be able to play it.

xWDsUaZ.png

• EnnoGyojaEnnoGyoja Registered User new member
    I'm new to boardgames but have decided to make an effort to learn and get into some at PAX this year. Does anyone have suggestions regarding good starter games? Is anyone willing to teach and play with the new guy? I know D&D rules insofar as the classic BioWare games from Baldur's Gate to Neverwinter Nights represent them. But that is about all. Looking forward to this.

I just bought Eldritch Horror, though it's still in the shrinkwrap. If anybody wants to give it a try, we can learn it together. All in all, I'm bringing the following (updated from a previous post):
    • Cards Against Humanity (all expansions)
    • Eldritch Horror
    • Lords of Waterdeep (+Expansion)
    • The Resistance
    • Pandemic (+On the Brink)
    • Zombie Dice (along with half of PAX)
    • maybe Game of Thrones (if it fits in my bag with the rest)

Game of Thrones isn't really con-friendly since there are a ton of pieces, it takes forever to play, an errata page that is as long as the rulebook, and usually ends in a fight. Though maybe that also makes it a perfect con game, who knows?

I was going to bring Sentinels of the Multiverse, but I left it at a friend's shop. I also have the Pathfinder Card Game, but since it's a campaign-themed game meant to be played over the course of several weeks/months, I'm leaving it behind.

• doubleonaddoubleonad Registered User regular
    I'm bringing a bunch of small games, several of them Japanese.
    In no particular order:
    • Say Bye to the Villains
    • Dungeon of Mandom
    • Hattari
    • Chronicle
    • Sushi Go!
    • Sail to India
    • One Night Ultimate Werewolf
    • Haggis
    • Trieste
    • Witch's Brew
    • Lost Legacy
    • Master Merchant
    • For Sale
    • Sail to India
    • Hive

If anyone has any last minute requests, I could be persuaded to bring a regular-sized game:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/DoubleOnad?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

I was considering bringing Catacombs, because it is awesome to play as well as watch. I'll see how I feel about it once I have everything else in my bag.

I just bought Eldritch Horror, though it's still in the shrinkwrap. If anybody wants to give it a try, we can learn it together

Done

I just bought Eldritch Horror, though it's still in the shrinkwrap. If anybody wants to give it a try, we can learn it together. All in all, I'm bringing the following (updated from a previous post):

I really want to try Eldritch Horror--are you going to be at the Sunday night post-game night? I'm going to be at the Long Wharf on Thursday, since that is closer to my hotel and the forumer dinner, but I'm switching hotels on Saturday and will be at the Westin Sunday night.

EnnoGyoja wrote: »
    I'm new to boardgames but have decided to make an effort to learn and get into some at PAX this year. Does anyone have suggestions regarding good starter games? Is anyone willing to teach and play with the new guy? I know D&D rules insofar as the classic BioWare games from Baldur's Gate to Neverwinter Nights represent them. But that is about all. Looking forward to this.

Most boardgamers are a friendly lot, and would love to teach you games - that means we'll have more people to play with in the future!

xWDsUaZ.png

• Cards Against Humanity (all expansions)
    • Eldritch Horror
    • Lords of Waterdeep (+Expansion)
    • The Resistance
    • Pandemic (+On the Brink)
    • Zombie Dice (along with half of PAX)
    • maybe Game of Thrones (if it fits in my bag with the rest)

Game of Thrones isn't really con-friendly since there are a ton of pieces, it takes forever to play, an errata page that is as long as the rulebook, and usually ends in a fight. Though maybe that also makes it a perfect con game, who knows?

I was going to bring Sentinels of the Multiverse, but I left it at a friend's shop. I also have the Pathfinder Card Game, but since it's a campaign-themed game meant to be played over the course of several weeks/months, I'm leaving it behind.

@Tripleozero ... I'd be up for that

• treezatreeza Registered User regular
    Does anyone have Pictomania? I've been wanting to try this game, but haven't been able to find a copy. Thanks!

The contents of my duffel have been ever-evolving since the start of this thread. Just finished packing it up, and what I've included is below. Some games like Merchant of Venus or Caverna didn't make the final cut because of physical weight, the amount of table space required, or risk of losing bits that are difficult to replace, etc. Some, like Study in Emerald and Triassic Terror ended up getting the axe because I'm over them. Some are just unbelievably un-con-friendly (Exodus Proxima Centauri)

-Red Dragon Inn (complete/all characters throughout all expansions)
    -Theseus: Dark Orbit
    -Zombicide 1 w/ Season 2 characters but not the s2 tiles (no room)
    -Conquest of Planet Earth
    -Manhattan Project w/ Second Stage
    -Euphoria
    -Coup
    -Pandemic + On the Brink + In the Lab
    -Goblins, Inc.
    -Ultimate Werewolf

Games that might make it into one of our other bags depending on how much space my clothes and what not consume:
    -Police Precinct
    -Dominant Species
    -Atlantis Rising
    -Last Night on Earth + expansions (unlikely)

• bluecheezbluecheez Registered User new member
    I'll be playtesting a Madoka-themed, print-and-play board game with some friends. Other people are welcome to join in if they're interested. The game is somewhat genre-defying, though it's inspired off of eurogames, social, and diplomacy-oriented games. If I had to describe it, I'd say it feels like a mix between Diplomacy, BattleStar Galactica, and Arkham Horror.

Check out the "quick summary" on page 2 if interested but too lazy to read the whole rulebook:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3069cl6855v4rr/madoka rule book v1.51.pdf

If you're interested in trying it out - let me know.

• ZestroZestro Registered User new member
    I will be there Sunday night if I don't get lost ^_^ First time going to PAX and this definitely looks like fun. You guys already have all the board games I'd want to play but I might bring an extra one just in case.

• KumaKuma Registered User regular
    Just got Thursday night off so I may have to stop by!

f7v9h.jpg
    @Quintious‌ Great list? Will you be at the event Sunday too or just Saturday? Also, of your "maybe-if-there-is-room" games I would vote for Dominant Species.

This discussion has been closed.