As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why are we not talking about [Legal Marijuana] in multiple states and now for Vets?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if other states allow the legislature to override the people's will like that.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Brody wrote: »
    I'm not sure if other states allow the legislature to override the people's will like that.

North Carolina recently tried, and there are tons of state legislatures practically annulling ballot referendum results they don't like as we speak. The consent of the governed isn't a particular priority for the GOP, especially if they can suppress votes and gerrymander themselves into power without it.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    In the first five days of recreational sales in Massachusetts (only two stores), sales combined for over $2.2 million. According to the article, the state took in $376,995 in taxes, with each town splitting $66,528 in collected taxes... in 5 days.

If all things hold constant, and only those two shops exist all of 2019, that's roughly $27.5 million in state tax revenue and roughly $2.4 million in city tax revenue. I totally get that it is silly to (a) expect sales to continue to be that strong for an entire year, and (b) for only two shops to exist in all of 2019, so take any of the above with a grain of salt.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Of course the first weekend a pot shop opens in my town I'll be out of town.

Interestingly for a while that shop will be by appointment only. Which really isn't much of a difference from how a dealer works now which is a quaint easing into legality

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Ohio 'has' medical marijuana, but it was rammed through by conservatives as a reaction to a series of serious attempts at popular ballot initiatives. It's essentially crafted to be so restrictive as to never let anyone actually get their hands on pot, though once you have a card you're allowed to buy it from other states. Also, because of the ambiguous wording, the CBD products you used to be able to buy over the counter are now a felony to sell.

This puts us largely in a worse position than if there was no medical law on the books, because it's still essentially illegal but now much harder to motivate people to put a petition together.

I'm not personally invested - illegal pot is as cheap and available as it's ever been for well-off white people. Sick people and ethnic minorities are going to suffer, though.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    TL DR wrote: »
    Ohio 'has' medical marijuana, but it was rammed through by conservatives as a reaction to a series of serious attempts at popular ballot initiatives. It's essentially crafted to be so restrictive as to never let anyone actually get their hands on pot, though once you have a card you're allowed to buy it from other states. Also, because of the ambiguous wording, the CBD products you used to be able to buy over the counter are now a felony to sell.

This puts us largely in a worse position than if there was no medical law on the books, because it's still essentially illegal but now much harder to motivate people to put a petition together.

I'm not personally invested - illegal pot is as cheap and available as it's ever been for well-off white people. Sick people and ethnic minorities are going to suffer, though.

Don't say that out loud, the conservatives will get excited.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    From what I can tell, it's unlikely that you can get a medical card before July in Missouri. Places that sell it not until next December.

It's so stupid it's legal now but it will be months/a year before you can legally get any.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

Out here in california I've always assumed and though from looking at them, that the over the counter CBD oils are shit. So it's not a big loss. The ones for vapes at least. They look totally different than what you get in the actual medical shops. WIth legalized hemp though, it should be better to source.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Ohio 'has' medical marijuana, but it was rammed through by conservatives as a reaction to a series of serious attempts at popular ballot initiatives. It's essentially crafted to be so restrictive as to never let anyone actually get their hands on pot, though once you have a card you're allowed to buy it from other states.
    You may want to check up on that. A card in one state doesn't mean that another state will accept it, and each dispensary has their own set of rules. I've been running into that problem in New England. I have my MA card, but NH won't accept it and the closest dispensary in ME won't accept MA cards, even though ME apparently will allow an MA card. I'm also fairly certain that MA won't accept out of state medical cards either.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    From what I can tell, it's unlikely that you can get a medical card before July in Missouri. Places that sell it not until next December.

It's so stupid it's legal now but it will be months/a year before you can legally get any.

That's not what was being said a few weeks back. That may not be the most unbiased of sources, but as far as I can tell, everything is proceeding in such a way that it's not going to be going away. That's something important to get right. This doesn't need to be halfassed or rushed into being. It needs be done in a way that doesn't make it easy for the government to get rid of it just because they can.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    As predicted it was 2019 before I'd get to hit a legal dispensary in MA, but really that was down to scheduling at the end there. Got to hit the salem dispensary over the weekend though. Id have posted about it yesterday but the skywalker kush I got there is nothing to fuck with. There is now an official record of an act of open rebellion I partook in which is weird to think of.

• Options
    Is there a reason to use dry herb versus a concentrate? It feels like the second would provide much more with less setup.

• Options
    Is there a reason to use dry herb versus a concentrate? It feels like the second would provide much more with less setup.

Not at all, concentrates take more effort to smoke generally.

With flower you just take the flower throw it in a pipe and smoke it.

For concentrates you need a "rig" of some kind. On the less portable ends it involves essentially a more advanced version of a bong and you've gotta use basically a blow torch to get your slide literally red hot.

As well the dosing on concentrates is not for the beginner.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i also prefer flower because it's a much less intense high, i often get anxious and jittery if i'm using concentrates. i'm kind of a traditionalist in that sense though, i think there are beneficial compounds in the whole plant that aren't present in some other forms, but that's probably just me trying to justify a personal preference lol

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Sleep wrote: »

For concentrates you need a "rig" of some kind. On the less portable ends it involves essentially a more advanced version of a bong and you've gotta use basically a blow torch to get your slide literally red hot.

Eh, there are concentrate rigs that aren't too hard. I've got the Atmos Q3 and also the Dr. Dabber Boost black edition. The boost had some defects with one so I needed to replace it, but they just sent the replacement for free.

The atmos is literally "Take a bit of concentrate, throw it on the coils, hit the button 5 times, breathe in". The boost is a little harder at "hit the button 3 times, wait until the light changes, then toss the dab on the nail and breathe in"

It's not "portable"(I also have a wax pen for that), but it's pretty easy to deal with.

Also, I started with concentrates because my wife's rule was "no smell" and I didn't want to end up buying multiple things for multiple types of inhalation, so I just went straight to concentrates. Sure, at the beginning (and even with experience) there are some moments of "Oh geez, that was more than I wanted and I'm in it for a bit now", or "Oh I'm relaxed but wanted a bit more, maybe I'll have another tiny dab", but the dosing isn't so extreme that it'll destroy you if you don't have the tolerance/understanding.

What I really like about concentrates is that I can just duck outside for ~2-3 minutes and be real good for 3 hours or so, and the smell is gone in seconds.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Also, and this is just from a lot of reading and 0 experience, but depending on the concentrate, don't some of them strip out the terpenes? Which has a badly understood affect on the overall experience.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Khavall wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »

Eh, there are concentrate rigs that aren't too hard. I've got the Atmos Q3 and also the Dr. Dabber Boost black edition. The boost had some defects with one so I needed to replace it, but they just sent the replacement for free.

The atmos is literally "Take a bit of concentrate, throw it on the coils, hit the button 5 times, breathe in". The boost is a little harder at "hit the button 3 times, wait until the light changes, then toss the dab on the nail and breathe in"

It's not "portable"(I also have a wax pen for that), but it's pretty easy to deal with.

Also, I started with concentrates because my wife's rule was "no smell" and I didn't want to end up buying multiple things for multiple types of inhalation, so I just went straight to concentrates. Sure, at the beginning (and even with experience) there are some moments of "Oh geez, that was more than I wanted and I'm in it for a bit now", or "Oh I'm relaxed but wanted a bit more, maybe I'll have another tiny dab", but the dosing isn't so extreme that it'll destroy you if you don't have the tolerance/understanding.

What I really like about concentrates is that I can just duck outside for ~2-3 minutes and be real good for 3 hours or so, and the smell is gone in seconds.

Vape rigs are definitely the easiest way to handle concentrates.

Sleep on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i did get a pax pen though, and i love that thing

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    i also prefer flower because it's a much less intense high, i often get anxious and jittery if i'm using concentrates. i'm kind of a traditionalist in that sense though, i think there are beneficial compounds in the whole plant that aren't present in some other forms, but that's probably just me trying to justify a personal preference lol

The process of making concentrates typically makes you lose a lot of the terpenes from the plant. That said, most concentrates reintroduce those terpenes to the concentrate after the fact.

• Options
    I wish it was easier to rent a vape pen or something similar. I kind of want to try it, but I'm just not in a place where I can drop $50+ on something I may only ever use once or twice.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    basic batteries seem to run cheaper than that around here; i picked up a super simple one for $20 this weekend which works great with ccell cartridges and also came with a fitting for atomizing raw concentrates.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Think of concentrate vs herb like this: Do you want to sit down and spend an hour or more smoking a bowl and enjoying what your doing, or do you want to hit that entire bowl in a single hit and sit there stupid for 10 minutes and the high is gone in 30 minutes?

At least, that's been my experience between the two.

• Options
    I wish it was easier to rent a vape pen or something similar. I kind of want to try it, but I'm just not in a place where I can drop $50+ on something I may only ever use once or twice.

Why not just get a disposable one? That way your cost to entry is minimal and you'd be throwing the thing out after it's done anyway. Then if you like it you can by something with refillable cartridges if need be.

• Options
    basic batteries seem to run cheaper than that around here; i picked up a super simple one for $20 this weekend which works great with ccell cartridges and also came with a fitting for atomizing raw concentrates.

Yeah, but I am also vain, and want to look like the hip kids with their Juul's or w/e. What I really should have done is asked our friend that was quitting vaping if I could have her old battery.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular

Why not just get a disposable one? That way your cost to entry is minimal and you'd be throwing the thing out after it's done anyway. Then if you like it you can by something with refillable cartridges if need be.

Yeah in places where it's legal, I've gotten disposable vapes for about $20 and they last 3-5 days depending on how often you're puffing on it and how much you're sharing. Unfortunately here in NYC, disposable CBD vapes can run as high as $60 for something that doesn't even get you high, what a scam.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

Yeah, but I am also vain, and want to look like the hip kids with their Juul's or w/e. What I really should have done is asked our friend that was quitting vaping if I could have her old battery.

ah, of course. really the only thing i could say is a downside of the one i got is that it's not really designed to easily balance upright, which can lead to concentrate pooling on the wrong end of the ccell cartridge

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Think of concentrate vs herb like this: Do you want to sit down and spend an hour or more smoking a bowl and enjoying what your doing, or do you want to hit that entire bowl in a single hit and sit there stupid for 10 minutes and the high is gone in 30 minutes?

That's not quite how I would characterize the concentrate high. Like, it'll stick with you. It changes a bit over time, but my experience with concentrates is that I'm good for a while. Like at least 4 hours before I feel it completely gone. Now, granted, normally there are some changes over time - it's most intense for like 30 minutes, then breaks off to a nice normal high for 90 minutes, and then just sort of becomes a mellowing for another 2 hours (which also might be the strain), but it definitely isn't gone in 30 minutes.

• Options

Yeah in places where it's legal, I've gotten disposable vapes for about $20 and they last 3-5 days depending on how often you're puffing on it and how much you're sharing. Unfortunately here in NYC, disposable CBD vapes can run as high as $60 for something that doesn't even get you high, what a scam.

I mean, I live in a legal rec state, and they probably have them cheap/easy to get, its just that its hard to check prices without going into the store, and I hate going into stores w/o knowing what I am going to buy/going in and not buying. Which, honestly, going in and not buying is probably something they are used to (although probably not as much now that its been a year or two).

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I already have a vaporizer which has tanks I can fill or buy prefilled ones. I don't like smoking in general and not a fan of the smell. Also some liquids seem super concentrated which seems like less time getting high and more time being high?

Also I tried CBD and I don't know if it's over hyped, I got a bad brand or what but that shit doesn't seem to do anything it's purported to do. What a waste, but at least I know the vape works fine.

Magus` on
  • Options

I mean, I live in a legal rec state, and they probably have them cheap/easy to get, its just that its hard to check prices without going into the store, and I hate going into stores w/o knowing what I am going to buy/going in and not buying. Which, honestly, going in and not buying is probably something they are used to (although probably not as much now that its been a year or two).

I'm not sure I follow. What you want is available in stores for you but you don't want to check the price in the store? Or you're worried about leaving without buying anything? I can assure you that not buying something is totally ok.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    i tried buying weed in vancouver on my way up to Whistler

first place on the maps didn't exist

2nd place was closed at 7PM on a Friday when Maps said it would be closed at 10

3rd place was a medical club only

so i didn't get any weed in Canada

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Truly a sad day when it’s harder to buy weed in BC than it is in WA

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

I'm not sure I follow. What you want is available in stores for you but you don't want to check the price in the store? Or you're worried about leaving without buying anything? I can assure you that not buying something is totally ok.

For myself, the introvert/shut in, the problem would be organizing the trip and navigating traffic, for a possible no sale.

Possible solution would be to call the store up and mention that the website doesn't list price, then have them do a price check / inventory check while you are on the line.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited January 2019

No, I realize its perfectly fine to walk into a store, and then leave w/o buying anything. But I hate walking into a place w/o knowing that I am going to make a purchase, and if I can't see what they have for sale, I'm not sure if they'll have anything in a price point that I can buy. Mostly just a weird anxiety thing on my part. It drives my wife nuts, because walking around a store with bags after you've bought something makes me uncomfortable too, so after we finishing checking out I always bee line for the door with no time for stops.
    Possible solution would be to call the store up and mention that the website doesn't list price, then have them do a price check / inventory check while you are on the line.

This is probably the exact solution to my problem.

Brody on

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

No, I realize its perfectly fine to walk into a store, and then leave w/o buying anything. But I hate walking into a place w/o knowing that I am going to make a purchase, and if I can't see what they have for sale, I'm not sure if they'll have anything in a price point that I can buy. Mostly just a weird anxiety thing on my part. It drives my wife nuts, because walking around a store with bags after you've bought something makes me uncomfortable too, so after we finishing checking out I always bee line for the door with no time for stops.

This is probably the exact solution to my problem.

I hear smoking weed is good for anxiety.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    In all sincerity, let the employees know what you’re looking for (uplifting, energetic, relaxing, anti-anxiety, sleepy) and your experience level, they’ll almost definitely be happy to help you out.

In regards to price, I’ll say this: there are significant quality differences across the price spectrum, but for somebody with minimal experience you probably won’t notice most of them. Try to avoid buying the very cheapest thing possible if you have the option, but don’t feel like you need to be reaching for the top-shelf either.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »

That's not quite how I would characterize the concentrate high. Like, it'll stick with you. It changes a bit over time, but my experience with concentrates is that I'm good for a while. Like at least 4 hours before I feel it completely gone. Now, granted, normally there are some changes over time - it's most intense for like 30 minutes, then breaks off to a nice normal high for 90 minutes, and then just sort of becomes a mellowing for another 2 hours (which also might be the strain), but it definitely isn't gone in 30 minutes.

30 minutes might be an exaggeration, this stuff can mess with your sense of time after all, but I do know that I am reaching for more concentrate before a normal bowl would have been finished. I also have actual, honest-to-god ADHD and likely am affected differently because of this. For instance, I never experienced what I would characterize as a real high until I was diagnosed and on a stimulant.

Of course, no way to know if this is a fabrication of my mind, just an anecdote, or a real thing because Someone wont let us do science on this miracle weed.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Oil cart pens are really unbeatable in terms of convenience and consistency, and they're very cheap. The practice of selling counterfeit carts is widespread, though I'm not sure to what degree that applies in various states with their myriad regulations on product tracking. Counterfeit carts can be less potent or contain banned pesticides. As others have mentioned, flower vapes may deliver a more complete terpene and cannabinoid profile. I also like the idea of not having to do additional manufacturing to extract or distill a concentrate and either put it in a disposable pen or use an ornate rig to dab it, but I confess that I partake infrequently enough that it's just easier to grab the pen than otherwise.

• Options
    Not to mention the first time I saw a person doing dabs I thought they were smoking crack or something like that. There's just something that seems unsavory about the whole setup for doing dabs.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Not to mention the first time I saw a person doing dabs I thought they were smoking crack or something like that. There's just something that seems unsavory about the whole setup for doing dabs.

yeah once a blowtorch gets involved, it starts to feel like "real drugs".

y59kydgzuja4.png