As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why are we not talking about [Legal Marijuana] in multiple states and now for Vets?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I didn’t like stop and count or anything but we saw literally thousands of plants over our stay. It was everywhere. I’m sure people are making money hand over fist.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Weed got legalized in many states and the world kept on spinning, which means more people are going to use it which means more people are going to be exposed to the fact that it's not a society ending threat, rinse and repeat.

Shit's just going to keep blowing up.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Weed got legalized in many states and the world kept on spinning, which means more people are going to use it which means more people are going to be exposed to the fact that it's not a society ending threat, rinse and repeat.

Shit's just going to keep blowing up.

It's also going to be legalized in Mexico soon, meaning we are sandwiched between countries that are full on recreational. Hell, it'll mean the entire Pacific Coast of North America is legal.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    As soon as the first states legalized it and the DEA pretty much shrugged it was really just a matter of time. We went from Colorado and Washington legalizing in 2012 to virtually every Dem front runner supporting federal legalization.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    California, Oregon, New Jersey, there's major major movement in a lot of highly populated states for legalization. I'd bet more of the population live in legalized states and areas than don't at this point, damn near it anyway.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    California, Oregon, New Jersey, there's major major movement in a lot of highly populated states for legalization. I'd bet more of the population live in legalized states and areas than don't at this point, damn near it anyway.

Yeah, but that doesn't really matter legislatively.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Brody wrote: »

Yeah, but that doesn't really matter legislatively.

I'd say it does. It was a slow process like this that overturned prohibition

RickRude on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Re population, I looked a little bit ago and we've definitely gone over the tipping point for medical but recreational is still a ways to go (even if NJ and NY legalize rec in the next two years we're not quite there). You'd need like PA and FL to go over as well.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Legacy wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    Here's a very detailed article about vitamin e acetitate and how is used in most terps that make the liquids. I trust none of them now even more

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/vape-pen-lung-disease-vitamin-e-oil-explained

After reading that article, I could see why youd still be wary, but that article hasn't been updated since Oct 3rd, the height of the scare. Theres since been an updated article from the same author. Dunno why it doesnt just replace the old one, as it's basically the same but a lot less worrying:

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/vape-pen-lung-disease-advice-consumers

As they say, pretty much all of the cases are linked to illegal shops selling illicit carts tainted with bad thickening agents. Legal shops wont have these shady products.

Per the CDC it's linked specifically to the Vitamin E Acetate: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/severe-lung-disease.html

They're of course looking into it further but so far that seems like the culprit.

There is nothing preventing legal shops from having that because the regulations surrounding vaping are, well, virtually non-existent. I suspect that'll change eventually but with everything going on with the government right now probably not soon enough.

Legal shop or not I would strongly suggest everyone do research into whether or not what they're using may contain Vitamin E Acetate and if anything other than a resounding "Fuck no" is found finding something else.

• Options
    The House Judiciary Committee just approved a bill to legalize weed on a federal level.

Sounds like it had a good chance of passing the house, but will probably be killed by McConnel in the Senate. Hopefully his doners smell the money and push him to get it passed.
    The legislation allows states to enact their own policies and gives them incentives to clear criminal records of people with low-level marijuana offenses. It also includes a 5% tax on cannabis products that would provide job training and legal assistance to those hit hardest by the war on drugs

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/11/20/house-committee-approves-bill-decriminalizing-marijuana-on-the-federal-level.html

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I don't even like weed and I'll say it's about fucking time.

• Options
    Dividing up me and my dad's harvest now. Rough estimate is close to 4lbs total out of 10 plants I believe. 3 in pots 7 in raised flower beds. My dad does a pretty good job with soil and gas done this for about 5 years, then I added the appropriate guano throughout the year. All organic and something you can't buy in stores.

Wedding cake crossed with mimosa.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Dividing up me and my dad's harvest now. Rough estimate is close to 4lbs total out of 10 plants I believe. 3 in pots 7 in raised flower beds. My dad does a pretty good job with soil and gas done this for about 5 years, then I added the appropriate guano throughout the year. All organic and something you can't buy in stores.

Wedding cake crossed with mimosa.

Fuck, that sounds good.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i really wish you could grow for personal use in washington :(

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I cut some corners with my current and last grow that have resulted in poor harvests. I’ve lost four seeds due to my laziness. I’ll be going back to the methodical step by step I did my first grow with my next grow.

Wasting seeds sucks.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    The House Judiciary Committee just approved a bill to legalize weed on a federal level.

Sounds like it had a good chance of passing the house, but will probably be killed by McConnel in the Senate. Hopefully his doners smell the money and push him to get it passed.
    The legislation allows states to enact their own policies and gives them incentives to clear criminal records of people with low-level marijuana offenses. It also includes a 5% tax on cannabis products that would provide job training and legal assistance to those hit hardest by the war on drugs

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/11/20/house-committee-approves-bill-decriminalizing-marijuana-on-the-federal-level.html

My guess is that he is going to get conflicting views from his various donor groups and base voters.

The libertarian crowd, along with a group of wealthy donors that see the business opportunities here are likely pushing him to pass this.
    On the other hand, he is likely getting push back from wealthy donors that have investments in industries that don't want marijuana to be legal (I'd say Tobacco and some pharma companies probably don't want it legal). Some police unions. His racist base and donors because that takes off something form the table they used to screw over non-white people. The insufferable moral majority asshats that want the US to be a Christian theocracy.

I'm not terribly optimistic that this will pass in the current Congress because McConnell does probably kill it to appease the racists and because keeping it illegal allows them to keep a tool they've been using to fucking minorities out of their votes (be either catchign them with marijuana or planting it on people of color).

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    And don't forget the private prison lobby who sure aren't supporting any democrats this time around

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I never understood the problem tobacco has with cannabis. Like, just plant a different plant.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I never understood the problem tobacco has with cannabis. Like, just plant a different plant.

A lot easier to get people to smoke way more cigarettes than joints.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »

A lot easier to get people to smoke way more cigarettes than joints.

Also it is a lot easier to grow marijuana at a small scale across the nation. It's easier to monopolize tobacco production.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    That... that bold right there... that is what I've been waiting for to make this all done right. Getting it legalized is one thing. Expunging non-violent marijuana offenses that have fucked over so many people (and blatantly targeted a specific demographic) is the big thing. Damn do I want this to go through.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Wisconsin inches closer to MMJ
    wo Republican lawmakers introduced legislation on Wednesday that would legalize medical marijuana in the state, an indication GOP lawmakers are warming to a proposal that has for years failed to become a reality in Wisconsin.

But the bill from Rep. Mary Felzkowski, R-Irma, and Sen. Kathy Bernier, R-Chippewa Falls, which would create a regulatory framework for medical marijuana, already faces stiff opposition from Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau.

The bill would allow for the cultivation, processing, testing and dispensing of cannabis to people with qualifying medical conditions who obtain a recommendation from a certified medical professional.

It's significant that it's coming from two republicans. It'll still get knocked down in the state Senate if it ever gets that far, but we should at least get some hearings out of it. And given that two of our neighbors now have legal weed it seems like it's only a matter of time.

Speaking of our neighbors Michigan sold $1.6M worth of weed in the first week of legalization with only five stores open.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    It's also one of the smallest baby steps possible
    To qualify for a medical card under the bill, the patient would need to have an established relationship with a medical professional and suffer from a qualifying medical condition including cancer, Crohn’s disease, glaucoma, HIV/AIDS, multiple sclerosis, post-traumatic stress disorder or seizure disorders.

Under the bill, only marijuana in the form of a liquid, oil, pill or tincture or in a form applied topically would be permitted.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's not great but I'm trying to be hopeful about some kind of progress.

• Options
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Yeah, it's not great but I'm trying to be hopeful about some kind of progress.

Nah it's a joke to make you think the laws have changed and they give a fuck about people it can help. It's so restrictive nobody will qualify and if they do they won't be able to find the meds the need. It's to make you feel good while still fucking people over.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    So Illinois has legal weed. We went today and got some stuff. The line was insane, 2-4 hour wait. Ours was around 2 hours. We got a .5 gram cartridge for 85 dollars, 20 a gram for flower. Nabbed a few prerolled joints, two .5 joints for 20 a pop. Also some fruit gummy edibles, 100mg for 40 bucks.

It's pricy but I'm so happy right now

6tgx0t0wm05u.png

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    So Illinois has legal weed. We went today and got some stuff. The line was insane, 2-4 hour wait. Ours was around 2 hours. We got a .5 gram cartridge for 85 dollars, 20 a gram for flower. Nabbed a few prerolled joints, two .5 joints for 20 a pop. Also some fruit gummy edibles, 100mg for 40 bucks.

It's pricy but I'm so happy right now

It's $40 for 50mg of gummies in my town. :(

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Yeah some friends were saying how insane the lines were. I'm also sure there is probably a markup for the first day + since they know they're going to sell out at the start. Things should probably be normal around March at the latest, I'd figure. No different than Binny's.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Hopefully as the market settles the prices will go down.

Here in WA I can get 100mg of edibles in the range of $15-25.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea it took Oregon about 3-4 months to settle down, and by a year in we were starting to see the prices drop under the old illicit prices.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    There's only a handful of spots ready for business day one, and more will eventually get approved as counties see the demand for it. I'll probably wait a while before going again, I can get very cheap shatter and use that to make my own edibles, but still it's amazing to be able to walk into a store and legally buy weed. My dad is incredibly jealous, since he lives in CT.

The interesting thing is it's a cash only business, apparently because it's not federally legal?

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    It's cash only because there isn't enough money involved for banks to risk being accused of money laundering for illegal activities. Now, if it were arms trades, blood diamonds, large scale narcotics, terrorist financing, or business dealings with embargoed countries, I'm sure HBS, Goldman Sachs, or one of the other banks would step up. Because those things run in the hundreds of millions if not billions.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    NM is going to try again but sighting the money they will make from it will go to law enforcement
    I feel it's too late because of how it's legal in all the states around it

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I feel like we are close to a critical mass on legalization, given how many states have already done it and how public opinion has shifted. Even Texas is having a difficult time charging people.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I feel like we are close to a critical mass on legalization, given how many states have already done it and how public opinion has shifted. Even Texas is having a difficult time charging people.

Medical is legal in 33 states and most of us were born the number was 0 (California was first to legalize in 1996).

Of the states that legalize none of them have recriminalized once the laws went into effect.

And we're seeing the same thing now with recreational, except at a faster rate.

As each state goes legal and fails to descend into some reefer madness hellhole it starts swaying people previously on the fence and softens the resistance of the intractable.

Honestly the biggest obstacle left is going to be the US Senate as I'm sure they can muster just enough die hards to block a federal bill, so we're probably just running out the clock now.

Which is silly and stupid but it's not the worst off we can be.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Is the only way to change scheduling via a bill? I feel like there has to be some other mechanism there to thread the bigot needle.

Edit: I believe the FDA and/or DEA could reschedule Marijuana w/o needing a congressional bill, so presumably if we get a Dem pres w/ enough willingness to do it, it could be lowered/removed on day one?

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    There's only a handful of spots ready for business day one, and more will eventually get approved as counties see the demand for it. I'll probably wait a while before going again, I can get very cheap shatter and use that to make my own edibles, but still it's amazing to be able to walk into a store and legally buy weed. My dad is incredibly jealous, since he lives in CT.

The interesting thing is it's a cash only business, apparently because it's not federally legal?

The House recently passed a bill with wide support to make banking transactions legal for sellers. It has the possibility of actually seeing the senate floor since it apparently benefits McConnell's hemp lobbyists.

Until then though expect local real estate prices to sky rocket since land is about the only "safe" option sellers have to store wealth.

• Options
    So how does vaping flower product aresolize terpenes/cannibinoids? Are you just exceeding the evaporation point of those compounds? iirc the cannibinoids mostly exist on the exterior of the plant, or does it even matter if its heated through evenly?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    in really, really simple terms, vaping dry herb is like sticking your food in an oven instead of heating it over an open fire

the smaller/simpler ones basically just heat up a surface in a chamber that the plant matter is in contact with, toasting it enough to produce vapor but not hot enough to combust the material