As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why are we not talking about [Legal Marijuana] in multiple states and now for Vets?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Oh, yeah, if you do something along the lines of disallowing alcohol, military types will do something along the lines of hoard hundreds of boxes of apple juice over several weeks to ferment with some yeast in their storage locker over a month or two to make mediocre but strong apple wine to then share with everyone else until a couple guys are found passed out covered in their own piss during a room inspection.

Hypothetically speaking.

Quid on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    A buddy I went to school with was a Marine serving in Afghanistan and he told me that pretty much everyone over there was smoking hash like, constantly.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Honestly I don’t really begrudge our troops doing whatever it takes to cope in their off time.

We give them a thankless job in the asshole of the world and we expect they’re just gonna act like church deacons? Please.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    So Illinois has legal weed. We went today and got some stuff. The line was insane, 2-4 hour wait. Ours was around 2 hours. We got a .5 gram cartridge for 85 dollars, 20 a gram for flower. Nabbed a few prerolled joints, two .5 joints for 20 a pop. Also some fruit gummy edibles, 100mg for 40 bucks.

It's pricy but I'm so happy right now

6tgx0t0wm05u.png

The lines were a definite turn off. I've also been hoping that someplace relatively close will open. Time to check Google western suburbs again.

There's Oak Park, Naperville and North Aurora at the very least, right? And Elmwood Park, Addison, Arlington Heights and Romeoville depending on far north or south you are in the west burbs.

I'll be in Arlington Heights tomorrow so might as well do some first hand investigation.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »
    It's nice to be back in a civilised society up here in Washington. My dad is gonna take me to the store later, where you can just BUY pot, like an ADULT, instead of HOPING that your sister has some and is willing to share because Wyoming is stuck in the 1880s

*sobs federally*

The terrible thing is that I'd guess if/when it gets legalized federally military and those with a clearance would still be excluded.

Maybe the military but I doubt it. Or if they do, not for long. Not at all if it's some miracle administration that manages to achieve cheap/affordable college and healthcare.

Clearances wouldn't be affected at all. All the government cares about is whether or not you've done something illegal or have a guilty conscience about something. I'm pretty sure most agencies would be glad for it so they'd be a bit less off putting to coders.

The e-qip still has questions about abnormal or deviant sexual encounters. Your faith in adjudicators is stronger than mine.

• Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular

LOL I'm guessing you're in Fredericton and you're talking about Mimi's?

>_>
    <_<

You win the internet.

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    It's nice to be back in a civilised society up here in Washington. My dad is gonna take me to the store later, where you can just BUY pot, like an ADULT, instead of HOPING that your sister has some and is willing to share because Wyoming is stuck in the 1880s

*sobs federally*

The terrible thing is that I'd guess if/when it gets legalized federally military and those with a clearance would still be excluded.

Maybe the military but I doubt it. Or if they do, not for long. Not at all if it's some miracle administration that manages to achieve cheap/affordable college and healthcare.

Clearances wouldn't be affected at all. All the government cares about is whether or not you've done something illegal or have a guilty conscience about something. I'm pretty sure most agencies would be glad for it so they'd be a bit less off putting to coders.

The e-qip still has questions about abnormal or deviant sexual encounters. Your faith in adjudicators is stronger than mine.

FetLife has a massive intel community presence. Cause we're weird. That question is 100% about whether you personally consider anything you do to be deviant and whether you'd lie about it.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Honestly I don’t really begrudge our troops doing whatever it takes to cope in their off time.

We give them a thankless job in the asshole of the world and we expect they’re just gonna act like church deacons? Please.

We totally need to do a better job of taking care of them. Save for a couple special asshats, usually when people start turning to drugs or getting blitzed on alcohol, that's usually a sign that things are pretty bad and having detrimental impact on their mental health.

Like I don't begrudge them, but at the same time, I also get where the military is coming from as well. You have people that still get killed in accidents or attacks when everyone is well rested and sober. There's an argument to be made that you don't want people under the influence handling a fair bit of military equipment because one lapse of judge and someone is either badly injured or dead. Again, shit still goes south when no one is under the influence, so it's more of trying to reduce the chances of things ending with someone having a very bad day.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    If we're going to talk general weed experiences, it feels like 80% the time weed helps me chill out and relax, while the other 20% it makes me obsessive about shitty things in my life and bums me out. Is that normal?

That is normal. For me, it became 100% of the time that it made me feel anxious and made my mind race. Ive found that using CBD dominant strains prevent that from happening and allow me to actually enjoy weed and feel good. Usually what i do is start things off with CBD, then slowly mix in THC and i dont feel any negative effects as long as i do it gradually.

This is a really huge benefit that legalization has created here in canada - thanks to testing i can actually buy CBD dominant strains very easily.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

*sobs federally*

FetLife has a massive intel community presence. Cause we're weird. That question is 100% about whether you personally consider anything you do to be deviant and whether you'd lie about it.

Yeah, the whole point of it is to find out if you have anything that could be leveraged against you. If you're open and not ashamed of being a kinkster, it's not something someone could blackmail you with for state secrets or whatever.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »

*sobs federally*

My sister helps manage things at a theater in Oregon. One of the unwritten rules, is that no one cares about what someone does at home, but when you show up to work, you're expected to be somber; especially, if you're a stagehand dealing with equipment. If you're not sober and dealing with equipment while be under the influence there is a huge risk of harming or killing yourself or others. I don't think I could fault the military for telling people that once they are on duty, you'll keep clean. I mean it's more or less a similar deal as the stagehands, you're handling equipment that can harm or kill if it's mishandled and the best way to lower the odds of bad shit happening, is to require people to be sober.

I'd also argue that military would have a sound argument that people shouldn't expect to always have an open spot to partake in mind altering substances. If shit happens, you ass is suppose to react and while they can't do anything about sleep depravation, they can do stuff to try and make sure people are sober when those situations arrive. I'd be more concerned that you get a push to make sure that if someone fails the test when trying to enlist, that they get black listed. Or that people caught with possession before legalization are also black listed from serving (I'll admit this one is a bit iffy, you do have the argument that some knowingly associate with the drug dealers and that can raise flags, but you also get cases where they are having a friend or family member get it for them).

This argument would make a bit more sense without the *incredible* quantities of booze those same solders can freely imbibe. Being sober on the job, sure. But s far as I can tell any situation where you'd be fine drinking you should be fine getting high?

I agree, and I'm optimistic it'd be seen that way.

On the other hand, the Navy's reasoning for no beards is in case we have to fight a fire on a ship, regardless of whether we're on a ship or even hundreds of miles from the ocean.

It's for the gas mask seal. Can't get a seal with a beard.

• Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    Is this thread exclusively for the discussion of the legality of weed? Because I don't care about that and that's my privilege as a California resident.

But I want to bring something up about the experience of being high on weed, which might be as boring as talking about a dream but whatever. When I try to talk to people in person about this they aren't responsive but that could be because I'm obnoxious.

I don't feel like I have the same experience as other people. I don't get hungry or silly. What it seems to do to me is load up every sensory experience with more information. It feels like synesthesia but with emotions. It doesn't make things feel good, it makes feelings more available.

I guess what's happening is that it's waking up the dormant unconscious part of my mind. I know this can't be that unusual of an experience, so what I want to find out is there any way to prolong this? I've never taken antidepressants, do they do this? I honestly think this is how I should feel all the time if I were a normal person. It makes me realize that I'm way too robotic when I'm not high. Like I want a lo-fi version of that experience all the time with something more stable. I don't want manic peaks and the post-high "chill".

I'll leave the dormant unconscious part to Jung, but that's definitely a marijuana thing. I relate to your experience of additional information within sensory qualia, and no, antidepressants are more or less the opposite of this (for me, anyway - I'd feel 'flat' when I took them for a year, with random, tiny little bursts of anger that seemed to come from nowhere; I much prefer marijuana as a major depression treatment).

If you are looking for something less intense I'd recommend a tincture with a higher CBD:THC ratio. Be aware that tinctures tend to last longer, and the onset doesn't happen nearly as quickly.

Also, as my doctor likes to say: with weed, more usually isn't better.

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

*sobs federally*

My sister helps manage things at a theater in Oregon. One of the unwritten rules, is that no one cares about what someone does at home, but when you show up to work, you're expected to be somber; especially, if you're a stagehand dealing with equipment. If you're not sober and dealing with equipment while be under the influence there is a huge risk of harming or killing yourself or others. I don't think I could fault the military for telling people that once they are on duty, you'll keep clean. I mean it's more or less a similar deal as the stagehands, you're handling equipment that can harm or kill if it's mishandled and the best way to lower the odds of bad shit happening, is to require people to be sober.

I'd also argue that military would have a sound argument that people shouldn't expect to always have an open spot to partake in mind altering substances. If shit happens, you ass is suppose to react and while they can't do anything about sleep depravation, they can do stuff to try and make sure people are sober when those situations arrive. I'd be more concerned that you get a push to make sure that if someone fails the test when trying to enlist, that they get black listed. Or that people caught with possession before legalization are also black listed from serving (I'll admit this one is a bit iffy, you do have the argument that some knowingly associate with the drug dealers and that can raise flags, but you also get cases where they are having a friend or family member get it for them).

This argument would make a bit more sense without the *incredible* quantities of booze those same solders can freely imbibe. Being sober on the job, sure. But s far as I can tell any situation where you'd be fine drinking you should be fine getting high?

On the other hand, the Navy's reasoning for no beards is in case we have to fight a fire on a ship, regardless of whether we're on a ship or even hundreds of miles from the ocean.

Which is something to keep in mind once you can smoke weed too.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    If we're going to talk general weed experiences, it feels like 80% the time weed helps me chill out and relax, while the other 20% it makes me obsessive about shitty things in my life and bums me out. Is that normal?
    TL;DR version: it's totally dependent on the strain, how it's taken, and how much.

Yes, but it really depends on the bud you are consuming. It's not always clear cut with the Indica/Sativa or the THC levels; it's also about the plant variety. Some hybrids are a low THC but have a crazy psychedelic experience that puts higher THC strains to shame (e.g., French Toast is 17% but strong as hell). Sativas can give me a slight panic attack feel, so I shy away form them. Indicas are they stereo typical high, but it's seldom that you find a true Indica.
    Usually, you're going to find hybrids, so pay attention to the percentage. 50/50 is a split indica/sativa. 70i/30s is 70% indica and 30% sativa. You can figure the rest from there. The most important thing is to know what you are consuming and take it is low doses until you figure things out. This is a huge and very slow case of trial and error. Each person is different and therefore will have different effects, though many share the same effects of a specific strain. Learn how you react to each and either make a mental note (yeah, that works with bud, lol) or keep a diary/journal so you can start figuring out which strains are best for certain situations. I recommend getting the Leafly app and look up strains before you buy them. They usually show the positive and negative effects of both, and you can use that to make a starting determination for if a strain is good for what you are seeking.

At home, my wife and I have essentially a medic cabinet for what the situation calls for. We have sleepy time bud (Gorilla Glue). We have pain med bud (Purple Punch, FLO). We have arthritis fighting bud (Herijuana, Brandywine). We have super duper daytime bud (Moonshine Haze). It's all about knowing which strain works for you and your scenarios, as well as how much to take. Too much of any of those can easily go from "this is nice" to "oh fuck... um... I don't like this." The latter is especially true with edibles, because people see what appears to be a low dosage (not used to mg) and eat more than they can handle. Additionally, they don't wait 2 hours and start eating more, then they're way more fucked up than intended, and edibles last for a long time so that ride is going to be a rough one.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Can't get a seal with a beard.
    I accept your challenge:
    BeardedSealFlickr_foilistpeter.jpg

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    That's clearly a moustache.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Can I ask about CBD in this thread? I'm interested in using CBD to help treat my anxiety, and I'd like to make sure I'm getting the best product I can for the best price.

Last week I went to a CBD store and paid $80 for a 30 mL CBD oil tincture (if the information on the vial is to be believed, a 1/2 mL serving contains 16 2/3 mg of cannabinoids, with the vial containing 500+ mg). The seller suggested I get the 250 mg vial, but I chose the 500 mg one. The brand is Sunmed. I've been taking about 1 mL at a time.

I feel like it's having some effect, but not as much as I'd like. Would a higher mg dose help? I'd also like something more affordable.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I am not a doctor but I wouldn't recommend cannabis in any form as a way of meaningfully managing anxiety. I know there's research to say it's somewhat effective but that's never been my experience.

Price-wise that seems expensive. Granted, it's legal here and prices have become more appealing.

• Options

*sobs federally*

1. You can
    2. The Navy's reasoning is for fighting fires
    3. I'm not on a ship

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

*sobs federally*

1. You can
    2. The Navy's reasoning is for fighting fires
    3. I'm not on a ship

I mean, it seems like the clear problem here is #3. What kind of Navy are you people running down there?!?!

• Options
    If I wanted to be on a ship I would have joined whatever branch of the military has those.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The world of CDB is a little tricky, depending on what state you're in the CDB you get can vary wildly. If you're in a legal state, it's easier to procure what I call "real CBD." Here in Illinois you could buy CBD products from a number of places before bud was legal, but it's hard to know what brands are good for that kind of thing. For instance, Family Video (a blockbuster like chain here locally) infamously started selling CBD products too.

Using CBD to manage anxiety does not work for everyone, but no harm in trying

• Options
    I am not a doctor but I wouldn't recommend cannabis in any form as a way of meaningfully managing anxiety. I know there's research to say it's somewhat effective but that's never been my experience.

I've personally been on a number of anti-anxiety medications over the past fifteen years or so. I honestly don't feel like any of these have alleviated my anxiety. I think I feel at least a little bit better with the CBD I'm taking now. It could be a placebo effect (and I'd hate to be paying so much for a placebo), but the medications I've been prescribed haven't even given me a placebo effect.

• Options
    For sure, your body so you do what you want. I'd just look towards a doctor, behavioral therapist, etc before using cannabis as treatment.

Again, that's just me though.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    CBD is not the part of cannabis that gets you high. It's perfectly safe to take if you're trying to figure out a fix for anxiety.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    With CBD, as mentioned, I'd be more worried about people selling random shit with no CBD content. I'm not sure how best to get around it, but I feel like pot shops are the place I trust the most for that sort of stuff. They are dealing with a lot of people who know their shit, so I assume they are less likely to try and pass stuff off when it will be getting purchased by someone who is going to to know what to expect from a CBD tincture.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Trace wrote: »
    CBD is not the part of cannabis that gets you high. It's perfectly safe to take if you're trying to figure out a fix for anxiety.

It's not the CBD that's the issue. It's trying to treat mental health using cannabis as a panacea that is the trouble.

• Options

It's not the CBD that's the issue. It's trying to treat mental health using cannabis as a panacea that is the trouble.

I don't think anyone thinks it's a wholesale solution like some holistic madmen. It's just a very good mood adjuster. For some people, it can heighten and intensify anxiety. For others, it allows them to calm down, sleep, and eat for once. It isn't a cure-all, but it helps for sure in the right circumstances.

• Options

I'm using this as a last resort, honestly. I've already tried other options to no avail.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    If I wanted to be on a ship I would have joined whatever branch of the military has those.

Don't literally all of the branches have ships?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

I don't think anyone thinks it's a wholesale solution like some holistic madmen. It's just a very good mood adjuster. For some people, it can heighten and intensify anxiety. For others, it allows them to calm down, sleep, and eat for once. It isn't a cure-all, but it helps for sure in the right circumstances.

Sorry, but that's not right. Dabling in mood adjusters/controlled substances as a means of coping outside of professional help is a recipe for addiction and disaster.

I don't know Hexmage's situation and they can do what they want but self-medicating is likely not the best approach.

• Options

Sorry, but that's not right. Dabling in mood adjusters/controlled substances as a means of coping outside of professional help is a recipe for addiction and disaster.

I don't know Hexmage's situation and they can do what they want but self-medicating is likely not the best approach.

This is like assuming someone who enjoys a beer after work is going to also enjoy 7-8. As a recovering alcoholic and survivor of substance abuse I find it a little worrying you associate something like weed or even more innocently, CBD, as something people abuse. I don't see a whole lot of difference between taking anxiety meds or trying CBD which probably could be a healthier alternative.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    CBD isn't even exclusively limited to pot plants, you can get it out of hemp.

• Options
    The difference is a licensed medical professional.
    Hexmage didn't say they were looking to find a way to wind down after work. They said they were looking for a way to "treat" their anxiety. That is a very different thing.

I would say the same thing if someone said, "Hey does anybody have an opinion on having a beer after work to treat my anxiety?".

Either way, this thread should absolutely stay away from any sort of recommending of cannabis as a means to treat anything as none of us are doctors.

• Options
    Hexmage didn't say they were looking to find a way to wind down after work. They said they were looking for a way to "treat" their anxiety. That is a very different thing.

I would say the same thing if someone said, "Hey does anybody have an opinion on having a beer after work to treat my anxiety?".

Either way, this thread should absolutely stay away from any sort of recommending of cannabis as a means to treat anything as none of us are doctors.

You do know there are licensed medical professionals who prescribe CBD? and nobody here is advocating he wholesale change everything and only try CBD. I'm not a doctor, nor did anyone here claim to be. Hex probably has talked to doctors, it's kinda rude to assume he hasn't.

It's not a treatment. It's not a prescription. It's something an adult can try and see if it helps them, even a little bit. I don't think looking down on those who use cannabis and it's byproducts as things to ease their pain, wether physical or mental, is a good thing. It comes across as condescending at best and fearmongering at worst.

• Options

You do know there are licensed medical professionals who prescribe CBD? and nobody here is advocating he wholesale change everything and only try CBD. I'm not a doctor, nor did anyone here claim to be. Hex probably has talked to doctors, it's kinda rude to assume he hasn't.

It's not a treatment. It's not a prescription. It's something an adult can try and see if it helps them, even a little bit. I don't think looking down on those who use cannabis and it's byproducts as things to ease their pain, wether physical or mental, is a good thing. It comes across as condescending at best and fearmongering at worst.

Pump the brakes a bit. I didn't look down on anybody and I didn't say Hexmage didn't consult a professional (they said they did). I am very aware that medical professionals prescribe CBD. That, in no way, means a person should use it to self-medicate.

If Hexmage is serious about using CBD as treatment they should consult a professional about it to find out what an appropriate dosage, type, etc is that they should use Vs posting on an internet forum about it.

• Options
    edited February 2020

Pump the brakes a bit. I didn't look down on anybody and I didn't say Hexmage didn't consult a professional (they said they did). I am very aware that medical professionals prescribe CBD. That, in no way, means a person should use it to self-medicate.

If Hexmage is serious about using CBD as treatment they should consult a professional about it to find out what an appropriate dosage, type, etc is that they should use Vs posting on an internet forum about it.

Of course they should, they were simply asking if it's a good idea, and we all gave our honest opinion... That it works for some and not everyone. Trying it in small doses will not kill you. This post:

Price-wise that seems expensive. Granted, it's legal here and prices have become more appealing.

Is based off your personal experience. Your experience =/= everyone's. You could be discouraging someone from finding something that could really help them, because it didn't help you personally.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Bullshit. Why is your opinion/experience more valid than anybody else's? My point isn't that Hexmage should listen to my experience - it's that they should consult a professional. Me talking about my "experience" isn't about me not thinking it's effective, it's that I've done the research and, while there are some apparent benefits, they are by and large inconclusive.

There's no need for silly grandstanding about the effects of these drugs. If somebody is asking about treatment for something as important as mental health they should be talking to a professional and not a bunch of people on the internet.

At no point have I said CBD is bad. It helps a lot of people. But most of those people didn't get there by posting on a forum about it.

If you want medical advice or opinions you go see a doctor. Full stop.

What's far more dangerous is pushing somebody to use something (a controlled substance to boot) they have no experience with as a means of treating a serious illness absent professional insight.

At the end of the day Hexmage asked about TREATMENT for anxiety.

• Options
    Is CBD particularly dangerous? Self-medicating with alcohol is risky because of alcohol poisoning, liver damage, impaired driving, etc. Are there similar risks with using CBD? I was under the impression it was much safer than alcohol.