As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Gluten Free] Cooking Thread

SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
Welcome to the Gluten Free cooking thread, a thread for people looking to break away from American style wheat-heavy diets. It’s a place to share ideas for recipes, meal planning, shopping, kitchen setup, etc. If you have an intolerance to wheat, or if you’re cooking for people with an intolerance, then welcome to this thread.

What is Gluten?
Gluten is a protein that gives wheat it’s stickiness. If you’re making pizza, this is a good thing, because it means bigger bubbles. If you’re making tempura, then this is a bad thing, because it can make your batter very gummy. Different levels of gluten will result in different results. Things that increase gluten formation: High protein flours, high moisture levels, mechanical work, and time. Modern wheat is also very different from the wheat of 100 years ago, engineered for higher protein, higher yields, etc.

Why is Gluten a bad thing?

celiac%20villi.jpeg

It turns out that the gluten molecule might be very hard on the digestive system. In recent years, many people have been diagnosed with Celiacs, or gluten intolerance, where wheat can trigger an autoimmune response. Since wheat is found in pretty much everything, they end up feeling sick all the time, and never realize it until they ween themselves off of it.

No one in this thread can diagnose you with gluten intolerance, only a doctor can. However, even if you don’t have Celiacs, you can still benefit from a Gluten Free diet.

How hard is it to go Gluten Free?

Surprisingly tricky. Gluten is found in nearly everything because it’s cheap, tasty, and has good shelf life. It’s often added in small amounts in food where you wouldn’t expect it to be for the sake of texture or flavor. And even if wheat isn’t on the ingredients list, there’s always a risk of “cross contamination” if it’s produced in the same factory. For instance, oats are naturally gluten free, but the oats you buy at the supermarket probably aren’t.

The good news is that there are many, many gluten free options available on the shelves, made from gluten free flours. The bad news is that these tend to be very expensive. On a recent visit to a gluten free store, the baked goods averaged to be about $1/oz. The cheapest and easiest way to go gluten free is a) go low carb, and b) cook for yourself.

If you live near a Winco, I’ve found their bulk bin section to be a good source of affordable gluten free flours. They also sell xanthan gum in the spice section.

Variations of Gluten Free Dieting:

The Gluten Free Food culture overlaps with many other food cultures. Here are some main ones to consider:
  • Low Carb: Calories come from three sources: Fats, carbs, and proteins. The body starts to feel sick if you get more than 20% of your calories from protein. This means that your diet can be low fat or low carb, but not both. Low fat / High carb diets have been the standard for the last 50 years, while low carb / high fat diets have gained traction in more recent years. If you’re planning to go gluten free, then a low carbohydrate diet will make It easier.
  • High Carb: Not surprisingly, gluten intolerance tends to hit people who are used to eating a lot of it, which means people who are used to eating a carb heavy diet full of baked goods and sweets. Many of them will have a hard time making the transition, so they look for recipes to replicate their guilty pleasures. Vegetarians with celiacs will have a hard time switching to a diet emphasizing on meats, and children tend to prefer simpler convenience foods that are designed to be addictive.
  • Paleo: This is an extreme variation of the low carbohydrate diet. The idea of the paleo diet is to only eat foods that were available before modern agriculture, and foods that can theoretically be eaten raw. So no grains and no beans. They also tend to avoid dairy, which might be too extreme for most people. For baked goods, paleo enthusiasts will usually use coconut flour or almond flour, which are naturally low in carbohydrates. However, paleo does allow for carbs in the form of starchy vegetables, like potatoes.
  • Offal: While American diets tend to emphasize on muscle meats, many low carb and gourmet enthusiasts have been increasingly turning to offal, or the organ meats that usually get leftover and turned into hot dogs. These have a lot more nutrition and can pack a lot of flavor, but can be much trickier to master. If you’re going to be eating more meat, why not make sure you’re using the entire animal? If you're going to cut yourself off from eating gluten, why not try something new?
  • Other allergies: Such as soy, corn, rice, casein, etc. Many people who are intolerant to gluten are often intolerant to other foods as well, and it’s important to keep that in mind when finding recipes.

Now that we've established the ground work, let's get started!

• Options
    Equipment Corner:
    If you want to go gluten free without breaking the bank, then you’re going to need to cook for yourself, and that means having lots of equipment. Here are some ideas:

Appliances:

• Food Processor: For grinding meats, flours, nuts, slicing, grating, etc. Since you can’t rely as much on convenience staples, you’re going to have to do this yourself. America’s Test Kitchen recommends the Cuisinart Custom 14-Cup Food Processor, but that’s currently out of my price range. If you want something more affordable, they also list the KitchenAid 3-cup Chef Series Chopper, which currently sells for $46. Alternatively, you can buy something cheap in the $20 range for now, and save up for a more expensive model later on.
    • Mandolin Slicer: Part of making the gluten free diet work is eating more vegetables. Instead of making lasagna with a gluten free pasta, you can make lasagna with sliced zucchini or eggplant. You can also make your own veggie chips for snacking. America’s Test Kitchen recommends the OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer for $40, or the Kyocera Mandoline for $20.
    • Spice Grinder: If you’re going to start cooking from scratch, why not buy your own grinder? This ensures maximum potency, since pre-ground spices often lose most of their aroma by the time you buy them. If you’re making something like curry, it’s always better to grind your own. Whole spices can usually be found in the bulk section, as well as in Asian markets. ATK recommends the Krups coffee mill, available for under $20.
    • Food Scale: If you’re planning to make any baked goods, then it’s really important to measure your ingredients by weight, rather than volume.
    • Thermometer: A refrigerator thermometer is important to make sure your food is being kept at safe temperatures. Your freezer should be 0F, your refrigerator should be 32F − 40F. An oven thermometer is important for for baked goods, since the temperature on your oven is rarely accurate. And a meat thermometer is important for checking meats. The best meat thermometers cost $100, and are truly “instant read.” You can buy a digital thermometer for much less money, but keep in mind that cheaper thermometers rely on completely different technology, and can take over 30 seconds to gauge an accurate reading. For the oven, ATK recommends the Cooper-Atkins 24HP, available for $6.

Cooking:
    • Portable Induction Burner: If you’re like most people, you probably have an electric stove, which heats your pot via a heating coil. This is slow and inefficient, and doesn’t allow you to make fine temperature adjustments. Usually a pressure cooker is nearly impossible. Since installing a gas burner would cost several thousand dollars, your next best bet is induction, which uses magnetic waves to heat any magnetic pan directly. This means energy efficiency, and faster response.
    • Slow Cooker / Crock Pots: Many cheaper cuts of meat are better suited for braising, low and slow in moist heat. A good crockpot is a good way to save money in the long run. The problem with crock pots is that there’s no standardization. “Low” and “high” usually refer to the rate that heat is added, rather than the temperature. And the “low setting” is still much too high for many practical uses. Therefore, a slow cooker is probably best suited for fattier cuts, which will be much more forgiving. You’ll want at least 6 quarts, oval shape, to handle larger cuts of meat. Programmable models can be convenient, but they can also be finicky and have a tendency to reset on their own.
    • Pressure Cooker: These use pressure in order to cook food at higher temperature, allowing for faster cooking without boiling over. If you want to make a pot roast in under an hour, this is how you do it. However, there is a steep learning curve, and I’m still getting used to mine. Pressure cookers can also be used for canning, to sterilize food against botulism. Electric cookers can be convenient, but keep in mind that most of them are only rated for 12 psi, not 15 psi, which makes a huge difference. Unless you only intend to use a pressure cooker for canning, avoid aluminum at all cost.
    • Silicon Baking Mat: Helpful for creating gluten free substitutes. For instance, if you want to make a gluten free pizza crust from cauliflower puree. Or, if you want to roast a spaghetti squash, then a silicon mat can reduce the mess.

• Options
    Kitchen Staples:

Now that you’ve decided to go gluten free, the next step is to stock up your kitchen. Here are some kitchen staples that I always like to keep on hand in my kitchen. We will add to this list as things progress.

Cooking Fats:

If you’re going to go the low carb route, then you need to be eating as much fat calories as possible, so you might as well make sure that the fats you’re eating are healthy. The paleo diet recommends staying away from cheap vegetable and seed oils that have only been around for the past century (Canola, soy, corn, etc). They also recommend saturated fats over unsaturated fats, since those are the fats that the human race ate in primal times. I personally agree with this, so I try to keep my cooking fats more traditional:
    • Bacon Grease: Never waste bacon fat! It’s delicious.
    • Olive Oil: Extra virgin has lots of flavor and health benefits. Unfortunately, it doesn’t take to heat very well.
    • Coconut Oil: Expensive, but great flavor and very healthy.
    • Lard: I prefer to render my own, since the store bought stuff is hydrogenated. Still, if you’re making biscuits or deep frying, the store bought stuff is probably still better than shortening.
    • Tallow: Great for frying, but you have to render your own. It’s best if you can get a butcher who uses grass fed beef.
    • Butter: Never, ever use margarine. The best butter you can buy is Kerrygold, which is about $6 a pound at Trader Joes. But it’s grassfed, so it contains a lot of vitamins you can’t get anywhere else in a modern American diet, especially vitamin K2. Flavor wise, you’re best off with either a foil wrapped butter or Land O Lakes Butter, since wax paper wrapped butter (Aside from Land O Lakes) can allow for many off flavors. Always buy unsalted butter for recipes and frying. Salted butter is only meant for serving on toast.

Dry Goods:

Most recipes became standardized for wheat flour, and attempting to replicate those same properties without wheat can be very difficult, and very expensive. Here is a basic kitchen setup:
    • GF Flour Blend: I buy mine in the bulk section of Winco for $1.60 a pound.
    • Almond Flour: You can buy Almond Meal at Trader Joes for $3 a pound, although I haven’t tried it in recipes.
    • Coconut Flour: $3 a pound on Winco, much more expensive if you shop elsewhere. Keep in mind that coconut flour absorbs a lot of moisture, so most recipes will call for a lot of extra eggs.
    • Rice Flour: There are three types: White rice flour, brown rice flour, and glutinous/sweet rice flour (“Glutinous” does not mean “gluten”). White rice flour and sweet rice flour can be found in the Asian market.

• Tapioca Flour/Tapioca Starch: It’s the same thing. Again, available in the Asian market.
    • Potato Starch: This is a completely different ingredient than potato flour. The cheapest place to get this is at the Asian market.
    • Corn starch: You can buy this anywhere.
    • Yeast: Surprisingly, most yeast is gluten free.
    • Xanthan Gum: This allows gluten free flours to be sticky. It can also serve as a thickening agent.

Canned Goods:
    • Tomatoes: Most restaurants actually prefer canned tomatoes over fresh tomatoes, since fresh tomatoes are only in season during the summer months.
    • Fish: Farmed fish are usually fed items like corn, which causes them to lose all their health benefits. Canned fish is almost always wild, since farmed fish doesn’t can very well. Sardines are convenient and sustainable.

• Options
    Recipe Index:

Kept blank for now. Will add as to this section as people start posting recipes.

And with that, I'm off to the store to buy some ingredients!

• Options
    HuuHuu Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    To add on the above: Get a bread maker and find a good bread mix. It is expensive compared to wheat bread but it is a nice complement to a glutenfree diet. My personal favorite is Bob's Red Mill's glutenfree breadmix. It is faily simple to find (major grocery stores in Ohio and Illinois carry it, i can't speak for other states) and at $4-5 per bag it won't exactly kill your budget. One bag lasts easily a week for me at one thick slice each morning plus some.

I disagree (somewhat) that going gluten free is surprisingly tricky, but it can certainly feel overwhelming at first. I don't think it is trickier than other diets that rely un cutting out certain things (instead of lowering total calorie intake). It will require some sacrifices, but a varied menu can easily be developed. Unprocessed meat is always glutenfree, as is potatoes, rice, and corn. Also all veggies.

I was diagnosed with celiacs disease roughly three decades ago so feel free to ask me anything about living with celiacs disease, either here or PM. I am certainly not a doctor or dietitian, but I have picked up a few things over the years.

Huu on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Gluten isn't bad for you if you don't have celiacs.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-kitchen-11/truth-about-gluten

Celiacs hasn't been shown to be caused by gluten either

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/celiac-disease/basics/causes/CON-20030410

Obviously, if you must avoid gluten due to medical concerns or just don't want to eat gluten for <reasons> then by all means, avoid it. But also avoid misinformation.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    My mother got hit with this a few years ago. I don't know if there are levels of tolerance or whatnot, but she can eat the occasional wheat product without harm. It might also be because she just never did eat a lot to begin with, so that's why she went so long without knowing there was a problem.

It also means I've had the "pleasure" of trying out the occasional gluten-free product. Some of them aren't that bad. Like pies or cakes, if I didn't know it was gluten-free, I'd probably just assume it was a little dry or something. Other stuff, like some breads, or the flour she bought and tried to make yorkshire pudding with... Good lord. Some of the most disgusting shit I've ever put into my mouth. The best gluten-free bread I've tried, it actually tastes like bread! But like a piece of bread that's been lying on the counter for a few hours, and is in that halfway point between fresh and stale. And on top of that, it's 7 bucks a loaf, compared to the dirt cheap .99 cents of a normal loaf.

Anybody who has to go gluten-free, I would give you a big hug. Because you totally deserve it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular

This statement is kind of confusing and could be interpreted as borderline misinformation.

Celiacs hasn't been proven to be caused by gluten, but all the negative consequences of celiac disease are only brought to effect when gluten is present in the diet.

I understand and respect your point though - there is a lot of gluten misinformation out there right now

• Options
    Whenever I've seen gluten being talked about, it's described as the protein chains being created when you're mixing the flour and water together. It's also why you can overmix dough, because you mixed it so much there's too much gluten and it's too tight.

So if you have Celiac's disease, you can't eat gluten. Doesn't that logically mean you can still eat wheat? Or wheat products that just haven't been mixed enough to create an abundance of gluten? Anything really doughy like bread is probably out, but crackers should be ok?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/celiac-disease/basics/causes/CON-20030410

Obviously, if you must avoid gluten due to medical concerns or just don't want to eat gluten for <reasons> then by all means, avoid it. But also avoid misinformation.

This podcast has some good information about the misinformation related to gluten: http://www.theskepticsguide.org/podcast/sgu/419

You can look down in the news items and find some good reading too. Basically, it's not a problem unless you're intolerant, and if you were you would definitely have known it by now. We're not talking mild discomfort.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Whenever I've seen gluten being talked about, it's described as the protein chains being created when you're mixing the flour and water together. It's also why you can overmix dough, because you mixed it so much there's too much gluten and it's too tight.

So if you have Celiac's disease, you can't eat gluten. Doesn't that logically mean you can still eat wheat? Or wheat products that just haven't been mixed enough to create an abundance of gluten? Anything really doughy like bread is probably out, but crackers should be ok?

no - you basically just can't eat wheat. i don't think water has anything to do with it

e: you can isolate gluten from wheat with water. but wheat itself will still contain the gluten that will cause symptoms if consumed

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    At around the 2:40 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J-_zkhoeuc

I'm trying to find another episode where it was explained a lot better, but Alton Brown basically lays it out as: Protein in flour + water + mixing = gluten. It's not just some absolute that exists in wheat, it's created through the mixing process. So shouldn't you be able to tweak the mixing process and limit the gluten?

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    There are extremely few wheat derived things a person with celiacs can eat. In fact the only one I can think of is Maltodextrin.

• Options

Crackers are definitely not okay.

I could try to come up with an explanation based on my knowledge of biochemistry, but then someone else will come along and rightfully call me an idiot for trying. But the short version is this: No, you can't do it.

What I will say is that gluten forms every time wheat comes in contact with water. Say, the saliva in your mouth. While kneading the dough can speed up the process, it's technically not necessary (See: No knead bread).

But there's probably a more in-depth explanation that's above my pay grade.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

Word. I'm cool with a gluten free cooking thread because obviously people who react badly to it deserve to enjoy food but disclaimer that shit. if someone wants to avoid gluten for whatever reason I'm like whatever but let's not base threads on pseudoscience.

Especially if this thread is to be about the cooking. I applaud cooking. But I call bullshit on misinformation so either make another thread for it or prepare to have this thread not be about cooking.
    Al_wat wrote: »

This statement is kind of confusing and could be interpreted as borderline misinformation.

Celiacs hasn't been proven to be caused by gluten, but all the negative consequences of celiac disease are only brought to effect when gluten is present in the diet.

I understand and respect your point though - there is a lot of gluten misinformation out there right now

It's basically like an allergic reaction. There is a difference between the cause of the reaction and the cause of the condition. The cause of the condition in this case isn't gluten, but the cause of the reaction is gluten.

• Options

The first link seems to just say, "Be careful about going gluten free, because that means that you're going to be missing out on the nutritional value of wheat," without actually saying what the nutritional value of wheat actually is.
    jeffinva wrote: »

This podcast has some good information about the misinformation related to gluten: http://www.theskepticsguide.org/podcast/sgu/419

You can look down in the news items and find some good reading too. Basically, it's not a problem unless you're intolerant, and if you were you would definitely have known it by now. We're not talking mild discomfort.

Like I said, no one in this thread is qualified to diagnose anyone with anything.

People who go gluten free and who want to eat it affordably are going to make massive changes to their diet. Any improvement people experience could be for any number of reasons. It could be because you're going low carb, or because you're allergic to wheat for reasons that have nothing to do with gluten, or because your digestion was struggling with wheat but not to the point of auto-immune response.

It's also possible that everything is a placebo. However, since gluten free fits in with many other diet plans (Low carb, paleo, etc), there are many reasons to try this diet out even if you don't have an intolerance to the protein itself.

However, the purpose of this thread isn't to convince people to go gluten free. I have intentionally avoided making any health claims, because I don't want this to be a sales pitch. It's simply for people who are interested in this diet plan to learn about cooking in this style.

• Options
    However, the purpose of this thread isn't to convince people to go gluten free. I have intentionally avoided making any health claims, because I don't want this to be a sales pitch. It's simply for people who are interested in this diet plan to learn about cooking in this style.

I get that this is a cooking thread. My post (which I didn't mean to start an argument with) was only directed at the single segment of your triple post that said "Why is gluten a bad thing?" Because there's misinformation in there. Misinformation which I believe is addressed in a reasonable way on the mayo clinic page I linked to. But that's absolutely the last I'll say on the subject. It's a cooking thread. Enough said.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Julius wrote: »
    Word. I'm cool with a gluten free cooking thread because obviously people who react badly to it deserve to enjoy food but disclaimer that shit. if someone wants to avoid gluten for whatever reason I'm like whatever but let's not base threads on pseudoscience.

Literally the only health claim in this thread for non-celiacs is that gluten is hard to digest.

From the link:
    But What If You Don't Have Celiac Disease?

Some people may be sensitive to gluten but don’t have outright celiac disease. These people may feel better on a diet with less gluten.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

Literally the only health claim in this thread for non-celiacs is that gluten is hard to digest.

No you said it might be very hard on the digestive system. Which is an entirely different thing. At the moment according to most research gluten isn't hard on the digestive system for most people. I digest that shit just fine

As jeep said, the only problem here is the part of your first post where you claim some nonsense about gluten and it's effect on the digestive system. The rest is totally fine and I actually endorse less gluten eating than we currently in our society find acceptable (if only for the reduction in carbs).

You can't have a line in your post say "Why is gluten a bad thing?" and expect us not to call bullshit and then pretend you didn't imply some bullshit.

• Options

No you said it might be very hard on the digestive system. Which is an entirely different thing. At the moment according to most research gluten isn't hard on the digestive system for most people. I digest that shit just fine

Not everyone digests everything equally well. Regina's own link states that people who don't have an auto-immune response can still have sensitivity issues, says that gluten has no health benefits, but discourages people against going gluten free because it wants people to eat more whole grains.

Something can be hard to digest without triggering a full auto-immune response. Beans, for instance. That doesn't mean that beans will kill you, but they can cause you some discomfort.

Here, let's check in with Harvard:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/getting-out-the-gluten
    But a growing number of the people dodging gluten fall into a gray area: they don’t have celiac disease but seem to be unable to digest gluten properly. There are no tests or strict criteria for this problem, aside from simple trial and error with a gluten-free diet. Some people may be getting caught up in a food fad. But many others probably do have trouble digesting gluten or perhaps the sugars in some of these grains (like the lactose intolerance that makes it hard to digest dairy foods).

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    So. How about those recipes?

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    I've was diagnosed with Coeliac disease about three years ago and as it turns out just about everyone in my family has it (bar my mother). As a result I've been cooking gluten free for a bit - i'll dig through some of the recipes I have when I get home and post some up. Provided the thread hasn't been lost to the void by then.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    At around the 2:40 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J-_zkhoeuc

I'm trying to find another episode where it was explained a lot better, but Alton Brown basically lays it out as: Protein in flour + water + mixing = gluten. It's not just some absolute that exists in wheat, it's created through the mixing process. So shouldn't you be able to tweak the mixing process and limit the gluten?

If you have a very light sensitivity to gluten it might be enough to help, no-mix dough recipes for instance absolutely have less gluten than a properly kneaded dough. You can also mix the dough and then wash it off / soak it in water a little bit, which washes off a bit of that gluten as well (easier to just not mix it much, though).

It's hardly the only kind of intolerance where sensitivity ranges the gamut, after all: lactose intolerance isn't an all-or-nothing proposition either, and environmental factors can often play just as big a role as genetics.

Celiac disease is genetically based though, and afaik(?) is a reaction to one of the basic gluten-forming proteins, so you would just have to avoid any wheat-containing products altogether and you most definitely can't acclimate yourself to it. It's not a disease caused by gluten though, any more than tree nuts caused my allergy to them or sunlight causes light-sensitivity disorders. Just because tree nuts make me to swell up like a grape doesn't mean there's something inherently unhealthy about them.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    V1m wrote: »
    So. How about those recipes?

I recently tried out Alton Brown's recipe for oatmeal cookies. Not low carb, but they're for a friend with kids. I froze half the batch, so I'll bake up some new ones and take photos later this week.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/oatiest-oatmeal-cookie-recipe/index.html

Modification: Some people complained about the cookies not sticking right, so I added about a quarter cup of coconut flour, a dash of xanthan gum, and 4 eggs. Added chocolate chips and sunflower seeds instead of raisins, and I replaced two tablespoons of the butter with crunchy peanut butter. Next time, I'm thinking about keeping the oat flour and replacing the rolled oats with sunflower seeds. Similar texture, but fewer carbs. Slivered almonds would be healthier, but expensive. Oh, and I used brown butter instead of regular butter, then added 2 tablespoons of water to replace the loss in moisture. They turned out pretty tasty.

I also tried this recipe for peanut butter cookies:

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/cookies/coconut-flour-peanut-butter-cookies.html

Modification: I used 1 cup of brown sugar instead of 1.5 cups of natural sugar, and crunchy peanut butter instead of smooth. That was last week, though, so I don't have any pictures. Cookies turned out okay, but this was my first time making peanut butter cookies, so they're somewhat difficult to mold. I'd recommend chilling them. Not as tasty as the oatmeal, but fewer carbs.

I recently made some cheddar biscuits as well.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/05/gluten-free-tuesday-cheddar-biscuits-recipe.html

3/4 cups of milk doesn't seem to be nearly enough, so I had to keep adding more. I didn't have sharp cheddar, and 2 oz didn't sound like enough, so I used 4 oz of a medium cheddar jack blend. Used butter instead of shortening, but next time I'll just use lard and see if it works better. Added a garlic butter sauce at the end. Overall, the recipe seemed a little bland and one-note. They're okay, but no "wow" factor that will make you want to keep eating them. It's been so long since I've been to red lobster that I'm not sure how well they compare to the original. Would probably add a homemade herb/spice blend in the future for more depth flavor.

I just recently cut up some eggplant for Alton Brown's eggplant pasta. I started with 1.5 pounds of japanese eggplant (available at Asian markets, easier to slice uniformly), and the ended with .5 pounds after I squeezed out the excess moisture.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggplant-pasta-recipe/index.html#!

Tomorrow I'm going to make the eggplant pasta. I've made it before. This time, I plan to add bell peppers and mushrooms. I'm considering using tomato sauce instead of diced tomatoes.

I also have a spaghetti squash I'm going to try roasting. The first time I tried spaghetti squash was a disaster, so I'm going to cross my fingers and home for the best.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I've had ibs like symptoms for years and have the last 6 months gone gluten free (as a last resort, I understand, before my specialist is going to start me on what I believe is going to be last resort voodoo). Taking risks with Gluten has given me several rides on the Montezuma porcelain express, so I'm not taking risks. Much.

My recipe for gluten free crepes:

50grams of glutious rice flour.
    150grams of buckwheat flour.
    500grams of milk.
    2 eggs.
    vanilla sugar.

Everything is poured in a bowl standing on a balance or kitchen scale, then mixed. I use grams of milk so I don't have to dirty a litre can. Chtulhu knows what kinds of unholy measurements your american cooking style requires, but a balance should get you through ;).
    Use butter for baking. They don't keep very well, so eat fresh.

As for pasta I've found a brand of pasta I like that mixes corn and rice flour.
    For bread, I like the Schar (big German brand) pre-baked breads (ciabatta, focaccia) but not their loaf bread. Any loaf bread is going to be dry in my experience.

I've made tortillas with hominy, but it requires some art to get them thin enough. If you like tortillas apparently there's a press that can do this for you. I baked them in my pancake pan.

Pizza dough can be made with the above flour mix, I've also added hominy. This gives you a chewy frozen pizza base. I'll try for a fluffy 'al taglio' base one of these days, too.

Xanthan Gum: I have a bag, and have used it, and never will again. It's just rotten stuff. The bread I mentioned above uses it extensively, and my bowels don't like it. Use the glutinous rice flour instead.

Asian cooking. Is really good on account of all the rice flour, but then they all switched to wheat ages ago. Rice pancakes are bound to have wheat in them. I haven't found a brand or a recipe. Instant noodles have wheat. Glassy rice noodles however are fine, just check the ingredients.
    Soy sauce. I stick with Kikkoman, which is a bit of mismatch for Thai cooking, but I haven't found any gluten free non-japanese soy sauce.

Sausages. Basically all ground meat should be suspect. But my favourite Austrian KaseKraner sausages are gluten free. Many frankfurter ones are too, using potato starch. Salami sausages need checking.

Meat balls fall under ground meat. Buy a gluten free loaf bread, toast it in the oven, grind it for crumbs. Now use the crumbs and some gluten free ground meat to make your own meatballs. The bread will have xanthan gum, so the meatballs will be icky after having had a few.

Stock. Try and find a gluten free brand and stick with it.

Really important

some people will get cramps and diarrhea from the slightest speck of crosscontamination. For these people there's the gluten free indication, which means there were no gluten around when the product was produced. Most people will be fine if there's no gluten in the ingredients list. You can figure out which you are by experience. Statistically you'll be the robust type.
    I've found I can eat some wheat (say a bun) on one day, and then have to tiptoe around gluten for a week, and be fine. Having accidental gluten contamination (such as flour on fries, in mayonnaise, and in soy sauce-) can go either way but seems to accumulate.
    Don't ask me how much of this is psychosomatic.

Oh, and if I get an alnighter gluten party surprise, I have to stay of lactose for a week. This is quite common. I also get joint pains with my diarrhea. That's also not unheard of.

Finally, here's a recepy for a delicious banana bread. It's in french because I translated it out of German for my colleagues. Given more time I'll translate it to English.

140g farine sans gluten (ex. Schar)ou farine
    100g farine d' amandes
    1 cuiller de thé poudre levure chimique
    ½ cuiller de thé bicarbonate de soude
    50g beurre
    Une pincez de Sel
    1 packet sucre au vanilla
    3 grandes bananes
    150 g sucre
    2 oeufs
    100g de chocolat noir

Bien mélanger les amandes, farine, bicarbonate, et levure. A coté mixer la beurre avec le sucre, puis ajouter les œufs, les bananes (découpes) et ajouter un pincez de sel. Ajouter le mix de farine cuiller par cuiller en mixant. Dernièrement ajouter le chocolat; c'est également possible d'y ajouter des noisettes.
    Cuisson a 180° entre 30 et 50 minutes, c'est au meilleur encore un peu collant.

Bon appétit!

Cornucopiist on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    My view of gluten free cooking is much the same as my view of vegan/vegetarian cooking.

If you are trying to make Dish X, where x is normally loaded with the substance you don't want to eat, but a gluten-free/vegan/vegetarian version of it you are going to have a shit time of it. Particularly true if you are cooking for other people. The main exception with regards to gluten is in sauce thickening and binding.

you can probably make a pretty decent gnudi binding it with something other than wheat flour, but if you are trying for fettuccine its going to end up all kinds of wrong.

Beef bourguignon thickened with not-flour sure, croque monsieur without the yum of the fluffy white bread no thanks.

@Schrodinger what issue did you have with spaghetti squash? It's a pretty straight forward thing: split, seed, roast in the oven.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    It's hardly the only kind of intolerance where sensitivity ranges the gamut, after all: lactose intolerance isn't an all-or-nothing proposition either, and environmental factors can often play just as big a role as genetics.

Celiac disease is genetically based though, and afaik(?) is a reaction to one of the basic gluten-forming proteins, so you would just have to avoid any wheat-containing products altogether and you most definitely can't acclimate yourself to it. It's not a disease caused by gluten though, any more than tree nuts caused my allergy to them or sunlight causes light-sensitivity disorders. Just because tree nuts make me to swell up like a grape doesn't mean there's something inherently unhealthy about them.

I have coeliac disease and this is basically correct. The autoimmune reaction is triggered by a short amino acid sequence in gliadin which is a protein that makes up gluten in wheat, barley and rye. It has a genetic basis, though only a small number of people with the particular genetics do develop the disease.

I also agree with the sentiment that there's nothing 'wrong' with gluten as far as I'm aware. I don't understand the people who choose to cut gluten out their diet as some do, though I am kind of grateful as the advances in bread and other products have really come on. Even in the past 4-5yrs I've been diagnosed bread has gone from a weird powdery cake-like substance into something rather palatable!

Whilst gluten isn't bad, cutting it out of your diet will probably make you lose weight. However this is mostly because you're removing your ability to consume almost all ready meals, frozen food, pizzas, fast food, cakes, pastries, biscuits and so forth. You know, all the tasty stuff!

I don't have any specific gluten free recipes to hand, but this cookbook has some great recipes:
    The Gluten-free Baker

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2014
    Gluten is one of those topics that invariably results in lots of stupid people being obnoxious. In order to save this thread from itself, I am going to go ahead and declare discussion of gluten, Celiac's disease, the Real Science Behind Carbs, and everything related as off-limits.

This is a thread for people to post gluten-free recipes and talk about said recipes. Posts containing stuff that is not a recipe or discussion thereof will be clipped and the posters infracted. If someone wants to talk about the science of gluten or some such, they can start a new thread dedicated to just that, so that all the people who don't want to wade through a lot of argle-bargle can elect to steer clear.

Happy dining!

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    @Schrodinger what issue did you have with spaghetti squash? It's a pretty straight forward thing: split, seed, roast in the oven.

I think I poked holes in it and then roasted it, and it ended up being to thin/watery to hold shape.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2014
    Speaking of spaghetti and other winter squashes, what's the best way to deal with the skin? It's a bitch to remove when it's raw, but it's also a bitch trying to remove it after it's cooked without burning myself or mangling the shit out of the squash.

I love winter squash, I just always fail hard at them.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options

I think I poked holes in it and then roasted it, and it ended up being to thin/watery to hold shape.

The difference is slicing it in half, that allows water to evaporate. Ideally the exposed flesh should form a crust and the interior should still be moist.

I'd actually go a step further and slice it into (long ways) quarters before roasting, and then when it comes out of the oven slice each spear several times to chunk the squash. You can separate the squash from the skin and serve or serve the spears on the skin (but don't eat the skin it's really not good).

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Speaking of spaghetti and other winter squashes, what's the best way to deal with the skin? It's a bitch to remove when it's raw, but it's also a bitch trying to remove it after it's cooked without burning myself or mangling the shit out of the squash.

I love winter squash, I just always fail hard at them.

If you quarter the spears like I suggested and then roast them, after you pull them out of the oven make horizontal slices down each spear and scoop out each serving with a tablespoon. If the squash is cooked all the way this should be easy to do without mangling the squash. As for not burning yourself, use an implement in your left hand to hold the squash spear while you scoop with your right. Or a silicone oven mitt.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Ok, so I promised some recipes. So here's one to get us started.

"American" style pancakes:

I've never had pancakes in the states, so i cannot vouch for how close to the real thing these might be. However, they're not the crepes style pancakes you tend to get in Europe, so i guess that's what counts. Also, I've fed them to non-Celiac's and they didn't violently wretch which is the universal sign of success in gluten free cooking.

Ingredients:

3 Large Eggs
    115g/4oz gluten free plain flour (if you don't want to use preblended flours, I've found the following ratios of these flours to work pretty well - 79g Rice flour, 29g Potato flour and 12g tapioca so a 6:2:1 ratio, roughly.)
    1 heaped teaspoon gluten free baking powder
    140ml/5Floz milk
    A pinch of salt
    1/2 teaspoon Xantham gum (ignore this if the gluten free flour you're using has it added already)

Method:

1] Separate the eggs, whites in one bowl, yolks in another.
    2] Add the flour, baking powder, gum (if used) and milk to the egg yolks and mix into a batter
    3] Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks
    4] fold half the whites into the batter, and mix until combined. Then add the second half and repeat.

Now just cook them like you would with normal pancakes. Hopefully, you'll find them to be quite light by gluten free standards, but once again, no idea how the compare to the real thing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Part of the key to making pancakes is to avoid over-mixing specifically to prevent gluten formation, so I would assume pancakes would adapt relatively well.

Just tried to slice open a raw spaghetti squash. Dear lord, I sharpened my knives twice, and it still took over 25 minutes. The entire time, I was scared out of my mind to make sure that I didn't lose a finger in the process of hacking through it.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Part of the key to making pancakes is to avoid over-mixing specifically to prevent gluten formation, so I would assume pancakes would adapt relatively well.

Just tried to slice open a raw spaghetti squash. Dear lord, I sharpened my knives twice, and it still took over 25 minutes. The entire time, I was scared out of my mind to make sure that I didn't lose a finger in the process of hacking through it.

this is because you guys are doing it wrong
    Cooking spaghetti squash in your microwave is super-quick, but roasting it isn’t much more work — I’ve made it both ways and it works equally well. This works great as a side, but I tried something different this time and bulked it up with canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed. We had it with couscous but if I had thought of it sooner, it would also be great with some sautéed greens.

Serves 4

1 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) spaghetti squash
    1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley, if you’re cilantro-averse

To cook the squash in a microwave: Pierce squash (about an inch deep) all over with a small sharp knife to prevent bursting. Cook in an 800-watt microwave oven on high power (100 percent) for 6 to 7 minutes. Turn squash over and microwave until squash feels slightly soft when pressed, 8 to 10 minutes more. Cool squash for 5 minutes.

To roast the squash, two methods: If you’d like to roast the squash whole, pierce it all over with a small sharp knife to prevent bursting and bake it in a 375°F oven for one hour. If you are good with a big, sharp kinfe, you can save some time by cutting the squash in half lengthwise, scooping out the seeds and roasting the halves face-down in an oiled baking pan for about 40 minutes in a 375°F oven.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until it is barely golden. Stir in spices and salt and remove from heat.

If you have microwaved or roasted your squash whole, carefully halve it lengthwise (it will give off a lot of steam) and remove the seeds.

Carefully halve squash lengthwise (it will give off steam) and remove and discard seeds. Working over a bowl, scrape squash flesh with a fork, loosening and separating strands as you remove it from skin. Toss with the spiced butter and cilantro.

takes less than 20 minutes

you don't get the browning that you do with roasting, but if you're incorporating the squash into another dish that's not going to matter much

when I brought this recipe to work as leftovers it made the breakroom smell amazing as it heated up.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    My contribution to this thread:

http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Harvest-Spaghetti-Supergrain-8-Ounce/dp/B000LKTB90

Seriously, folks. I don't even need to avoid wheat, and I like this pasta more. My girlfriend has a serious case of celiac, so I got to try a variety of awful wheat substitutes over the years... but this is not one of them.

And they make a broad variety of noodles. I made a kickass lasagna with this stuff a few times.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Currently slow cooking some pork belly. It's a very rich dish, so hopefully the spaghetti squash will serve as a good rice substitute.

Anyone know any Asian style spaghetti sauce recipes? I found one for a peanut noodles, but I'm wondering if there are other options.

Schrodinger on
  • Options

this is because you guys are doing it wrong
    Cooking spaghetti squash in your microwave is super-quick, but roasting it isn’t much more work — I’ve made it both ways and it works equally well. This works great as a side, but I tried something different this time and bulked it up with canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed. We had it with couscous but if I had thought of it sooner, it would also be great with some sautéed greens.

Serves 4

1 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) spaghetti squash
    1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley, if you’re cilantro-averse

To cook the squash in a microwave: Pierce squash (about an inch deep) all over with a small sharp knife to prevent bursting. Cook in an 800-watt microwave oven on high power (100 percent) for 6 to 7 minutes. Turn squash over and microwave until squash feels slightly soft when pressed, 8 to 10 minutes more. Cool squash for 5 minutes.

To roast the squash, two methods: If you’d like to roast the squash whole, pierce it all over with a small sharp knife to prevent bursting and bake it in a 375°F oven for one hour. If you are good with a big, sharp kinfe, you can save some time by cutting the squash in half lengthwise, scooping out the seeds and roasting the halves face-down in an oiled baking pan for about 40 minutes in a 375°F oven.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until it is barely golden. Stir in spices and salt and remove from heat.

If you have microwaved or roasted your squash whole, carefully halve it lengthwise (it will give off a lot of steam) and remove the seeds.

Carefully halve squash lengthwise (it will give off steam) and remove and discard seeds. Working over a bowl, scrape squash flesh with a fork, loosening and separating strands as you remove it from skin. Toss with the spiced butter and cilantro.

takes less than 20 minutes

you don't get the browning that you do with roasting, but if you're incorporating the squash into another dish that's not going to matter much

when I brought this recipe to work as leftovers it made the breakroom smell amazing as it heated up.

That's actually the first method I started with.

I'm thinking that next time I might just microwave it until the skin softens, then cutting it in half.

• Options
    Microwaves are pretty underrated for cooking vegetables. There's a lot of "hurf blurf microwaves are for trailer parks", and while you should not cook meat in microwaves ever (uneven heating on a microscopic level means that microwaving meat can leave bacteria alive-this is bad) they are perfectly fine for cooking vegetables.

I always cook zucchini in a microwave with some dill and butter. It's seriously fast and tasty.

• Options
    Unfortunately, my microwave doesn't have a turn table. I have a nice gas stove and a microwave that doesn't have a feature you would find in a $50 portable model. :(

• Options
    CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Microwaves are pretty underrated for cooking vegetables...
    I always cook zucchini in a microwave with some dill and butter. It's seriously fast and tasty.
    Microwaved potatoes taste awesome and are done in a jiffy. Cut, put in a covered glassware bowl (just put a plate on top if you don't have a lid). And you can add other vegetables (carrots, peppers, zucchini, sweet potatoes) halfway through to finish with a great mixed dish. Sprinkle with olive oil and mix when you add the other vegs, and it is teh yummy in (for my microwave) 15 minutes.
    I have to peel my taters now for my kids, but really the peel has all the worthwile nutrients. So chopping and cleaning only takes a minute or two more. TLDR: healthy food on the table in under 20 minutes. This is a blessing when you're a parent.

Another 'recipe' is broccoli. Rinse, place in bowl upside down, cut out the stem, sprinkle with garlic, nuke for 7 minutes. All the flavour will still be in the vegg.
    Carrots need some oil becauce one thing to watch out for is vegetables drying out at the edges, and even catching fire. Carrots, cut fine, are the worst offenders. 4 minutes, stir regularly.

For all of these you should add the salt at the end, though. Beans you should not try outside of the 4th of july.

Now, I'm going to be honest with you, the flavours will not mix and boost each other like when you're doing an oven baked dish. But they're stronger flavoured than boiled veggies, and don't need stirring, and are done real quick. Quick enough that you can dump them in a frying pan, add oodles of your favourite fat, and in a minute and a half mix those flavours and get some browning/caramelizing going.

Cornucopiist on