As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jerb Advice

InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
So, I am stuck at a crossroads in my career. After leaving my last job due to a very unhealthy work environment, and a few months of job hunting, I have come to a point where I must make a decision about my career. I am trained in HVAC/Refrigeration and have been highly successful at it, however, the job before last, I got burnt out working 7 days a week/ 12hr days, and after 6 years, I decided to resign. Went traveling and got hired on by a client to be an plant operator, unfortunately, that became a horrible environment with management. Right now I have 3 options open to me.

Option 1: Relocate to a small town in the middle of almost nowhere and run an expansion office by myself. Small town of about 20,000 people with minor services. While being a good opportunity, there is almost no recreational facilities beyond the local bar.

Option 2: Relocate across country with my old company, doing the same thing that I was doing before, with the option for a small advancement down the road (not guaranteed)

Option 3: Find temporary work in-town while deciding if a change of career is what I need.

Those are my options. My mind has been wandering between option 2 & 3. #2 because I know the company and the work involved and that maybe a change of scenery and people will avoid becoming burnt out again. #3 is also an option as I have begun to question what I want out of life, and that maybe a career change is a way for me to get more out of life. So I welcome any and all advice.

Thanks

• ThunderSaidThunderSaid Registered User regular
    Since you mentioned bad work environments twice, I'd recommend option 1 (because if you're by yourself, how bad can the environment be?) or option 3 (because it gives you the opportunity to step back and decide what kind of work environment you're looking for).

If it were me, I'd take option 1, because I'm not looking to party (basically ever). You might thrive in a more active area, though, so option 3 might be your best bet.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    You don't seem like you want option 1, so it's not really an option. I think it has the best career potential, but in terms of quality of life, if the only R&R is a bar, then it may not be a reasonable place to work and not die of cirrhosis.

A career change may be what you need to get more out of life, but I would suggest that you take a long look at yourself and decide what it is that you want to get out of life. If your just looking for more free time and a better work life balance, that is negotiable. "I can take your job, and you know I'm good, but I need someone to take over for a day or 2 so I can get a day off." If they want you bad enough they will likely be reasonable.

Have you considered getting your steam engineers license?

zepherin on