As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic: the Gathering] Durdle turtle's a big hurdle.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Anyone here hitting GP Sacramento? I'd be down to play some of my awful EDH decks against folks on the forum after my inevitable 2-3 drop.

Yes, and I love Commander and would probably be up for playing.

They might be running 4-man commander pods, too.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I will be at gp sac.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Feral wrote: »

Those are the worst. If you get lucky it's you versus three strangers on an even playing field. More than likely it's you versus three friends who signed up at the same time.

And of course since there are prizes on the line, that means the "social contract" is out the window and turn-four combo kills are in force. Just really a complete bastardization of everything Commander was supposed to be.

EDIT:
    They are releasing a Modern format Event Deck:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1404

for $75. Taking bets now on whether it will be obtainable FOR $75, or if it will jump up to 100, 200, or more. I am deathly curious what's in it, I will confess. Shocks? Fetches? Tarmogoyf (HA! I know, I know).

For $75? The manabase is going to suuuuck. You might get like two fetches, tops. I can't even imagine what that deck would be. Storm seems unlikely and burn/goblins seems too basic, but those are relatively cheap decks to assemble.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    "Official" commander events have proven to be pretty terrible in my experience.

Commander seems like something best played on the outskirts of the event, or at the bar down the block over drinks.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    They are releasing a Modern format Event Deck:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1404

for $75. Taking bets now on whether it will be obtainable FOR $75, or if it will jump up to 100, 200, or more. I am deathly curious what's in it, I will confess. Shocks? Fetches? Tarmogoyf (HA! I know, I know).

For $75? The manabase is going to suuuuck. You might get like two fetches, tops. I can't even imagine what that deck would be. Storm seems unlikely and burn/goblins seems too basic, but those are relatively cheap decks to assemble.

If it's anything like the MTGO-only Legacy decks, it'll basically be half of a legit deck with an additional half being "approximations" of the cards that are missing.

Something like a Jund deck with 2 Dark Confidant and 2 Bloodgift Demon.

But I imagine they could come reasonably close to a full Affinity list, right? No fetches, relatively cheap nonbasics, and most of the cost is tied up in Mox Opal and Arcbound Ravager (I think).

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    But I imagine they could come reasonably close to a full Affinity list, right? No fetches, relatively cheap nonbasics, and most of the cost is tied up in Mox Opal and Arcbound Ravager (I think).

Yeah this is probably the way they go. They might even cut Inkmoths and go more of the Master of Etherium route.

• Options
    Affinity is also the easiest to explain strategically (I think), as it's essentially the all-in aggro deck of the format. There are complexities to playing it, but if they plan on packing in a booklet that explains "how to play", it's probably best that they don't try to do so for something like Birthing Pod or Scapeshift.

• Options
    Plus they already made a Pod-oriented Event Deck back in Dark Ascension.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I was sick of Theros a month after its release.

EDIT: Drafted a pretty sweet one and defeated the fabled MagicPlayer92649102 in round one.

DGR+Returns.JPG

EDIT#2: And lost round two to fucking Riot Control of all cards. Ugh.

@metaghost I think your Red splash would have been about as good as your Blue splash, and the mana would have been so so so much better.

EDIT: okay, maybe only slightly better.

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    Yeah, it was a toss up, and I just chose Curve + Cluestone over Fatty Boombooms.

Simic Charm would've been an excellent draw in game three, as my opponent's win-con (other than blowing me out with Riot Control) was suiting up random durdles with Way of the Thief and Holy Mantle, so I never sided into the red.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Mogis is by far the coolest thing on that PW's Guide. Hopefully the card is good, though I'm totally getting a playmat of him if I can.

Modern deck:

1 x Shock.
    1 x Fetch.
    1 x Chase card.
    Bunch of crap.

The fetch by itself will make it impossible to get at MSRP on it's own, of course.

Remand is perfectly safe to print on Standard, so we'll see it soon. And holy shit Karn Liberated is at 50$.

My problem with Daxos is that he depends on the topdecks of the opponent to generate value. So he isn't exactly great.

From a purely aggresive point of view, Dryad Militant is really good, just for being 2/1 for 1. The ability is almost irrelevant post-Innistrad, but really, 2/1 for 1 is a steal.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Remand is perfectly safe to print on Standard, so we'll see it soon.

Remand is not remotely safe for Standard. I believe this was made explicit by Zac Hill in an article on the Mothership, but Remand may very well be more powerful than actual Counterspell in most contexts. The ease of casting it in any number of control/aggro-control/combo builds + the tempo advantage gained from delaying your opponent and drawing a card is brutal.

Mana Leak was regrettable enough; it would take a dramatic change in design philosophy for Remand to make a reappearance in Standard.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    What about a three mana Dismiss?

Spell Snare?

Force Spike?

I'm tired of the essence scatter/negate core set reprints.

edit: especially since I have vintage Remove Souls I can't use in tournaments.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Chen wrote: »

Spell Snare?

Force Spike?

1. Three Mana Dismiss — Not without a significant condition governing the card draw.
    2. Spell Snare — Reprintable. Narrow but relevant effect that does not inhibit players from dreaming big.
    3. Force Spike — Likely reprintable, depending on what sort of safety valves they want in place vs. Mana Dorks & Weenie Aggro. Of course, they may actually want to reprint Mana Tithe, assuming Lapse of Certainty is an indication that they will continue experimenting with soft counters in white.

But dawg, you are going to loathe the day they decide to replace Essence Scatter with Bone to Ash in Core Set.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    I like counter spells. I'll take them all!

Then again control seems to be what I love most in terms of archetypes. Game 1 of the GP Dallas Semifinals, where Jensen was just in absolute control of the board all game countering everything against the Marlon guy was an awesome game to me (even if Jensen ended up losing the match).

Good Control decks are expensive though. AEtherling is the cheapest Win Con, but support stuff like Detention Sphere, Verdict, and Sphinx's Revelation are so expensive.

• Options
    Ok, I was wrong. But if WOTC is serious about lowering the cost of Modern, then one of the few things missing from the recent patch of reprints are Remand and Fetches. Mutavault and Thoughtsieze are on Standard now, and Fetches and the 20$ Ravnica uncommon are still there as barriers for most decks. Fetches are coming, but if they can't print Remand on Standard, they have to print it somewhere else like an event deck or some-...

75$, huh? Yeah, not happening. But hey, I get to do roll dice on predictions.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Fetches are very likely to be reprinted in a future set once Ravnica rotates out (or failing that, MMA2). I'd like to see the Onslaught ones added to the mix at some point too just for increasing available options, although then even mono-color decks can run 12 of the things if they wanted to.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    If for some reason the story returns to Zendikar, I can see them reprinting all 10 fetchlands. Maybe they'll follow Kiora's story for a bit.

But if not that, Modern Masters Part Deux should definitely see the enemy fetches.

Also, I had no idea Remand cost $20 in paper.

• Options
    There are several signs that suggest a return to Zendikar. Both Kiora and Gideon went looking for solutions to the Eldrazi problem, so you have to expect a "rematch" somewhere down the line.

• Options
    Whats the deal with Eldrazi anyway? My lore is weak.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Those are the worst. If you get lucky it's you versus three strangers on an even playing field. More than likely it's you versus three friends who signed up at the same time.

And of course since there are prizes on the line, that means the "social contract" is out the window and turn-four combo kills are in force. Just really a complete bastardization of everything Commander was supposed to be.

I've had good experiences with the Commander pods CFB runs. The prize payout is low and everybody who signs up gets at least one pack and/or promo, so it's very carebear.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Colorless abominations living "between" the plane who also devour them whole. Think Cthulhu meets galactus

Quire.jpg
  • Options

They are invincible Cthulu dudes that eat worlds, or something to that effect. They were trapped on Zendikar until Bad Guys starting messing with the doodads that kept them trapped.

Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

• Options

Lovecraftian elder gods, basically.

They're enormous, planeswalking, magic-devouring beings who warp both sanity and the laws of physics anywhere they go. They're so alien that they're not aligned with any color of magic - they're colorless (both in the game and in the lore). There are three major Eldrazi, and they spawn uncountable minor Eldrazi wherever they manifest. They go from plane to plane consuming everything they encounter.

They were imprisoned upon the plane of Zendikar millenia ago by planeswalkers (one of whom was Sorin Markov). The Eldrazi escaped once and Sorin returned to Zendikar with other planeswalkers to trap them again. During that escape, Zendikar's civilizations were in infancy - basically cavemen. They saw the Eldrazi as gods and they told legends of them and eventually these legends turned into Zendikar's religions. The influence of the Eldrazi during that time also caused the plane to become unstable. Zendikar is known for it's shifting lands, earthquakes, floods, and other sudden changes in terrain.

Most recently, the Eldrazi escaped again due to the machinations of the dragon planeswalker Nicol Bolas, and the last we saw of them they were basically destroying the entire plane and killing everything. Sorin was unable to contain them this time and the set ended on a cliffhanger.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

Spell Snare?

Force Spike?

1. Three Mana Dismiss — Not without a significant condition governing the card draw.
    2. Spell Snare — Reprintable. Narrow but relevant effect that does not inhibit players from dreaming big.
    3. Force Spike — Likely reprintable, depending on what sort of safety valves they want in place vs. Mana Dorks & Weenie Aggro. Of course, they may actually want to reprint Mana Tithe, assuming Lapse of Certainty is an indication that they will continue experimenting with soft counters in white.

But dawg, you are going to loathe the day they decide to replace Essence Scatter with Bone to Ash in Core Set.

I think the closest thing we'd get to a reprint on Remand is something like Venser without the body attached.

Venser's Counter 1UU

Return target spell to its owners hand.

Draw a card.

That's still pretty good.

• Options

They are invincible Cthulu dudes that eat worlds, or something to that effect. They were trapped on Zendikar until Bad Guys starting messing with the doodads that kept them trapped.

Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

A few other cards that capture the feeling of Zendikar and the Eldrazi IMO:
    The land is chaotic

165.jpg

70.jpg

135.jpg

The Eldrazi lie in sleep

199.jpg

until they awaken to eat everything

1.jpg

100.jpg

and all the realm's religions are lies

16.jpg

44.jpg

• Options
    Venser without the body would be:

1UU
    Instant
    Return target spell or permanent to its owner's hand.

No cantripping. Still pretty good.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

1UU
    Instant

Hmm, yeah that's probably a bit closer. The version I posted would be too good for Standard still, do you think?

• Options

1UU
    Instant

Hmm, yeah that's probably a bit closer. The version I posted would be too good for Standard still, do you think?

It would take context to really say, but rule of thumb is that drawing a card is essentially worth 2 colorless mana (a la Cycling). That's part of why Exclude became Bone to Ash, and Repulse more or less became Into the Roil.

• Options

1UU
    Instant

Bear in mind we already got Venser's Diffusion (2U: Bounce nonland permanant or suspended card) back in Future Sight. I think Boomerang + Remand (- draw) for 1UU is still a bit much, but perhaps right on the edge. Removing lands as targets would tip it back towards reasonableness.

• Options

1UU
    Instant

It would take context to really say, but rule of thumb is that drawing a card is essentially worth 2 colorless mana (a la Cycling). That's part of why Exclude became Bone to Ash, and Repulse more or less became Into the Roil.

I think 1UU for a temporary counter + card draw is probably casted right, since it's a less powerful Dismiss (at least on paper). I guess Dismiss would be pretty good these days.

• Options
    Dismiss would be shitty nowadays. Rewind hardly made a splash last time it got reprinted and that can do more degenerate things.

So we're going to see Ugin as a PW? That'd be cool.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options

I would love to see an Ugin card, just so they could reprint Ghostfire. Not my favorite burn spell ever (that would be Flame Javelin, or maybe Shining Shoal for a given definition of "burn"), but a neat thing to have in an environment where protection from red needs to be reined in.

• Options
    My favourite burn spell (other than the fairly straightforward lightning bolt) is probably Urza's Rage. Never understood why it's a burn spell (URZA BE RAGIN PEW PEW), but more than one time I kicked it to explode on someone's face (usually the guy who runs Nether Spirits).

Maybe they can print Ugin's Rage.

Ugin's Rage deals three damage to target creature. If that creature has 8 or more power, remove it from the game instead.
    "Screw you, Emrakul! Wait a second..."

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Eldrazi are interesting enough, but MaRo says that people didin't liked eating Anihilator attacks because, for most players, is pretty much deciding how to lose.

On another subject, here's an interesting Legacy Merfolk guide, from the guy that came second at SCG Las Vegas:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?8158-Deck-Merfolk&p=780238&viewfull=1#post780238

• Options
    Today's Latest Developments goes into all of the changes Kiora went through. Interesting read, and sort of related to our discussion about her earlier.

• Options
    I think I actively hate Ken Nagle's design instincts.

Good article though.

• Options

I would love to see an Ugin card, just so they could reprint Ghostfire. Not my favorite burn spell ever (that would be Flame Javelin, or maybe Shining Shoal for a given definition of "burn"), but a neat thing to have in an environment where protection from red needs to be reined in.

It would be neat to see another colorless planeswalker.

If there is a return to Zendikar, seeing Ugin and related cards (Ghostfire, etc) as "good" examples of colorless magic as a juxtaposition against Eldrazi would be interesting.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Update on my Hidden Heros deck!

-- Daxos has been performing well for me in the limited matches I've played with him in. His card stealing has swung two matches in my favor. His biggest role, ironically, has been as a removal magnet. With both him and Fabled Hero in hand, I'll drop Daxos first (if the board allows me the time to breathe) and my opponent will use something like Hero's Downfall to kill him right quick, allowing me to drop Fabled Hero next turn and have it live.

-- I'm gonna play with Daxos some more then try the Triton Fortune Hunter in his slot and see which works better.

-- while this deck certainly isn't competitive at all, I feel like if I had a bit more budget to round it out some more, it'd be borderline. Toss in a few Soldiers of the Pantheon (removing a couple Hoplites/Nivmaguses) and an Elpseth as a bomb. Could be. Probably wrong about that though.

-- I haven't yet gone up against a real Control matchup, so I don't know how I fair against them. I imagine things like Detention Sphere would wreck me since have such a small variety in creatures and I KNOW Verdict does

-- Black removal is my biggest Achilles heel so far. So many ways to kill my guys before the get going. Red Burn also causes me problems, but somewhat less so since I have more ways to pump my guys toughness (both permanently from triggers and temporarily with stuff like Dauntless Onslaught - surprisingly used more defensively than offensively - and Triton Tactics)

-- the Hallowed Fountains that @metaghost loaned me have HUGELY smoothed out my mana issues. I'm still running into problems with land pockets in my draw (maybe I should cut a land?), but it's far less of a problem than it was.

-- my next focus should be developing a Sideboard, a process I have to research HOW to do properly first

Lots of things to think about. I see why deck building is so addictive. It's like a really awesome puzzle!

APODionysus on
  • Options
    I wish they left Kiora at 3 loyalty.

Putting her at 2 and making her first ability +1 basically means she is bait for Lighting Bolt/Strike and won't get played in any format.

This discussion has been closed.