As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic: the Gathering] Durdle turtle's a big hurdle.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    The blue promo looks like it will do some gross things in EDH. Right now, I'm thinking Derevi just for an extra use each turn, but with a mana engine, an all permanent deck, and something like Pemmin's Aura, you can Genesis Wave your whole deck. Seems good in Momir Vig as well since you can search up the combo pieces at will easier than Genesis Wave.

These are all good in EDH (well, except red, meh) but blue is absolutely the sickest.

There are lots of ridiculous ways to combo off of him. Intruder Alarm and Viridian Longbow - you don't need any other colors.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    I'm hoping the blue one sees use in Standard. I want to see a pro find a way use it to drop a ton of cards all at once.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Mediator is blue and 4/5, so he doesn't have to worry about Blood Baron or Stormbreath Dragon (presuming they haven't achieved their respective extra-fatty status). I could see him getting standard play.

You don't need to combo out with him. Just swing for 4 and get some card advantage from his ability. If your opponent doesn't have an answer, they lose.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Actually come to think of it, Hidden Strings isn't a bad idea. It lets you untap the Sphinx post-combat, so you get your topdeck'ed creature a turn early, which means it doesn't have summoning sickness next combat.

The Sphinx works with Thassa to let you scry up a permanent when it attacks.

Thassa means blue devotion, and Strings can be used with Shrine to ramp the Sphinx out early.

I think this is a thing.

• Options
    tumblr_mvyk1o9q451qia2dho1_400.jpg

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    @Houn

Pack Rat fits by virtue of each token being an exact copy aka having the same mana cost. That allows you for HUGE devotion turns. And, you know, Pack Rat is very good on it's own.

And, more than Nythkos (since you lack mana sinks like Mizzium Mortars or Monstrosity) I would look at Thoughtsieze or Mutavault. They are both great purchases since they will conserve their value after rotation.

Wait, do tokens count toward devotion? They don't have any colored cost symbols on them.
    Wait again, Pack Rat says "a copy of Pack Rat". Ooooooh.
    You play physical right, @Houn ?

Yeah, sorta. I own some cards, and keep meaning to go out and hit some Drafts, but something always comes up that prevents me from doing so (like tonight, daughter's got something I need to take her to, no spending 4+ hours at Card Kingdom for me.)

Houn on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

Mediator + Hidden Strings + Prophet of Kruphix.

Yeeeeep

Edit: Splash some white for Ethereal Armor

Holy shit dat Ethereal Armor synergy

Good catch

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Guys, Hidden Strings is always a bad idea.

It's a day[9] at the Pro Tour bad idea.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Houn wrote: »
    Wait, do tokens count toward devotion? They don't have any colored cost symbols on them.

I guess you figured this but yea; tokens have exactly what characteristics the effect that creates them says they do and a copy of a card has all the copiable values of the original (including other copy effects, but not including other temporary or static modifiers) so a token that's a copy of something with a mana cost has a mana cost itself and so contributes to devotion.
    Technically you could also have an ability that creates a token and sets that token's mana cost but it's never happened (probably because they don't want to deal with the barrage of people asking if they have to pay the mana cost). If it is gonna happen though, Theros block might be the most obvious candidate yet.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

So it's a great idea?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    admanb wrote: »

So it's a great idea?

Strategically dubious, but crazy fun and occasionally hilarious?

Feral on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I guess you figured this but yea; tokens have exactly what characteristics the effect that creates them says they do and a copy of a card has all the copiable values of the original (including other copy effects, but not including other temporary or static modifiers) so a token that's a copy of something with a mana cost has a mana cost itself and so contributes to devotion.
    Technically you could also have an ability that creates a token and sets that token's mana cost but it's never happened (probably because they don't want to deal with the barrage of people asking if they have to pay the mana cost). If it is gonna happen though, Theros block might be the most obvious candidate yet.

New mission: Progenitor Mimic copying Gary.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

Oh man, so, you play a Gary, then you play a Mimic as a Gary, then every upkeep, you get a new Gary?

I demand this deck be named either "Garyception" or "Garys all the Way Down".

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Crosspost from SE++
    Nullzone wrote: »
    I took my Level 2 Judge exam today

You need an 80+ to pass

I got 46
    out of 50, so a 92 (passed).

\m/

• Options
    As a side note, I feel like I started paying attention to Magic a year too late. I dig the theme of Theros, but the Return to Ravnica block is just so cool and filled with fun cards.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Ma2kViS.jpg

Behold Karametra

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    you can still join rtr block queues on mtgo.

I do because fuck theros.

I really like this season's promo (tropical island) but I don't think I can get 15 qps with just drafting rtr.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    http://mtg-realm.blogspot.ca/2014/01/the-gods-of-born-of-gods.html

All the BNG Gods. Mogis is still the best, followed by Ephara.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Oh man, so, you play a Gary, then you play a Mimic as a Gary, then every upkeep, you get a new Gary?

I demand this deck be named either "Garyception" or "Garys all the Way Down".

"Garys all the way down" I think. Garyception is when you throw an Infinite Reflection down too, and attach it to the mimic-Gary.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

Noooooo

This means I'll have to wait 5 more months for the UR God Keranos.

If he doesn't make Izzet Standard viable I'm going to be so sad

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

Noooooo

What you said, but Athreos.

Still, not unexpected.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »

Noooooo

If he doesn't make Izzet Standard viable I'm going to be so sad

There may be some Keranos-themed stuff in BNG that you'll enjoy.

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

Mediator + Hidden Strings + Prophet of Kruphix.

Yeeeeep

Edit: Splash some white for Ethereal Armor

Holy shit dat Ethereal Armor synergy

Good catch

Thanks! I was hoping that was as deliciously synergistic as it seemed in my head. Even your LANDS pump up the armor if they come from the Mediator.

I do wonder what "manifestation counter" is up to there. Is that a type of counter that already exists? What does it do?

@metaghost mind explaining to a noob why? It seems to be an amazing card with heroic triggers, and can even untap land, giving you essentially two extra mana everytime you connect with the cipher. Obviously I'm missing something

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Having a manifestation counter is likely just short hand for "is an enchantment now"

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Having a manifestation counter is likely just short hand for "is an enchantment now"

Ah. That makes sense.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

I've done that, its incredible

Progenitor Mimic copying Sylvan Primordial is pretty good too!

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    I bought a pair of Theros boosters (I have a problem, I know), and got a second Meletis Charlatan. I feel like there's some untapped potential here, like the universe is daring me to build a deck around him, but I haven't quite figured it out yet.

• Options

@metaghost mind explaining to a noob why? It seems to be an amazing card with heroic triggers, and can even untap land, giving you essentially two extra mana everytime you connect with the cipher. Obviously I'm missing something

Well, the core of the issue is that every time someone imagines a use for Hidden Strings they are imagining elaborate scenarios in which Hidden Strings is this vital tool that enables whatever dramatic end result that person has conceived. Yet, in all likelihood, Hidden Strings' role in that scenario is that of "win-more" card. That is to say, in order for Hidden Strings to function, the controlling player needed to be ahead on board (such that they could confidently attack and trigger Hidden Strings) and have cards in hand (or on board) with which they could leverage the potential bonus resources. As a result, you could probably remove Hidden Strings from the scenario and still win, just with less panache.

As I think Feral pointed out, the Inspiration Sphinx doesn't need Hidden Strings to win you the game, it's already a Large Flying Dude that, should it survive, naturally untap during your untap step and shit out powerful permanents.

If you consider your Heroic deck and some of the advice people have been giving you, the ideal Heroic activator is something that triggers your creature AND positively impacts the board in your favor, such that you minimize the chances that your opponent will later accrue "virtual" and real card advantage by eliminating your beefed up Voltron Hero.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Hmm.

That's some good points.

I guess what I like about Hidden Strings is that, particularly on fabled hero, it massively shortens their clock. I can't deal with a lot of big late game threats, so even one swing with a ciphered Fabled Hero can cut the game so short they don't get the chance to roll them out. With a chiphered Hero, a Phalanx Leader and a Nivmagus on the board one connection by the Hero gives the Magus +6/+6, the Hero +4/4 and the Leader +2/+2. At that point, the only thing that can really slow me down is Verdict or Master of Waves. And even Master of Waves can be dealt with.

I'll also use it's initial cast to clear blockers so I can get a solid swing through. Even if they have more than 2 blockers, I can force then to run an important card that they don't want to sacrifice to chump against a Fabled Hero

But you have a good point. I may be over commiting with Hidden Strings at times. Maybe I want to cut it down to a 2 or 3 of. Could bring in a Brave the Elements or two for an alpha strike (it's a card I'm considering for my sideboard anyway).

Edit: I'm not really trying to argue with you @metaghost I'm more just talking through my thought process so you can point out where it's flawed so I can learn how I can improve said thought process!

APODionysus on
  • Options
    Edit: I'm not really trying to argue with you @metaghost I'm more just talking through my thought process so you can point out where it's flawed so I can learn how I can improve said thought process!

No worries, APO. I think it's probably just as important for me to acknowledge that having fun is the most important thing, and winning with the extra panache of Hidden Strings may in fact make it a "good idea". I was just elaborating on the competition-oriented logic that dictates playing Hidden Strings is probably a bad idea - specifically, a bad idea that day[9] had when he was invited to the Pro Tour.

• Options
    Yeah I mean, this deck isn't competitive either way. Hidden Strings or no. Maybe someday I'll be participating in MTGO tournaments and have to be FAR more careful about deck construction. But right now I neither have the skill nor the card library to do that.

Heck, I still need to stop making stupid mistakes like accidentally F2ing past my combat step, or forgetting to cast a creature from my hand before targeting Phalanx Leader with something so it can be pumped. I make mistakes like that ALL the time. It doesn't help that when I do take my time and try to think things through I get people telling me to hurry up. Sigh.

I'm still proud of this deck. For my first time building one out of my own head (with an assist to you guys, the Nivmagus suggestion was so, so huge), it's pretty decent.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Aha, wow. People are starting to sideboard Circle of Protection: Blue in order to combat True-Name Nemesis, as it actually works since it doesn't target.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    ...The Jund player just won his game in which he got Turn 1 Blood Moon'd into Sneak Attack -> Emrakul, destroy all your permanents, by his opponent.

Characters
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    ...The Jund player just won his game in which he got Turn 1 Blood Moon'd into Sneak Attack -> Emrakul, destroy all your permanents, by his opponent.

...how? how do you even do that?

• Options
    Sneak & Show has a habit of fizzling off of the Emrakul rush, as opposed to an early Griselbrand.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Aha, wow. People are starting to sideboard Circle of Protection: Blue in order to combat True-Name Nemesis, as it actually works since it doesn't target.

If WW isn't a problem Runed Halo can get the job done too, but is much more specific. I have a lot of fun with this in my Modern deck.

• Options
    Sneak & Show has a habit of fizzling off of the Emrakul rush, as opposed to an early Griselbrand.

Jund player also drew his basic swamp, which allowed him to cast Deathrite Shaman, which allowed him to give a giant middle finger to the three blood moons across the table from him.

Characters
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    @APODionysus

One of the things that college has taught me so far is that you go to your own pace, not the pace of others. This applies specially to a game when a mistake can cost you a game. I have lost quite a bit of games that way, so ignore them. Some of them are trying to make you rush into a mistake anyways.

This is a game. That people play for fun. Not to be told to hurry up by a stranger on the Internet or a wannabe in a FNM.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    I just got disqualified for inaction because my gf kept pestering me for more than 10 minutes about the most insignificant thing.

Gah. So infuriating.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Chen wrote: »
    I just got disqualified for inaction because my gf kept pestering me for more than 10 minutes about the most insignificant thing.

Gah. So infuriating.

I've had this happen. Important to remember it's all a game, I think.

This discussion has been closed.