As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic: the Gathering] Durdle turtle's a big hurdle.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Probably because they're both 4-drops, and I think Reaper of the Wilds is the better golgari 4-drop?

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Also, I wonder how viable mixing Tribute with Evolve could end up, or at least with some of the Simic token shifting.

Also also, someone's going to try a Tribute + Corpsejack in standard.

Actually, why haven't I seen Corpsejack and Desecration Demon together?

I abuse the hell out of Corpsejack in EDH, but he's just not quite good enough for standard. The combos you'd use him on are too slow.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    New spoiler with an application of Hexproof I approve of:

Tromokratis
    5UU
    Legendary Creature - Kraken
    ~ has hexproof unless it's attacking or blocking.
    ~ can't be blocked unless all creatures defending player controls block it.
    8/8

metaghost on
  • Options
    here's a picture of it, my buddy just posted it on tumblr

tumblr_mzejeyCBiH1qc29lyo1_500.jpg

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I'm glad they're playing around more with conditional hexproof.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    That seems like a very powerful card. I mean 7 CMC wil lmake it tough to play, but it certainly is beastly

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Wow that's kind of insane. A single Pacifism effect or tapper makes him unblockable forever. Fortunately both of those effects are rare in Theros limited, but still.

• Options
    Every time there's a giant blue sea creature that doesn't cost 9, Grozoth sheds a single tear.

And then Inkwell Leviathan gently lays a flipper on his shoulder and whispers, "There, there. I'll never leave you."

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Wow that's kind of insane. A single Pacifism effect or tapper makes him unblockable forever. Fortunately both of those effects are rare in Theros limited, but still.

I never thought of the Pacifism interaction. That's brutal.

• Options
    I don't think I ever understood Grozoth's design. Like... you're supposed to build a deck with 4 Grozoth and a bunch of other 9 drops that you would tutor for by casting a single Grozoth, fetching your other Grozoths, and then transmuting them into Blazing Archon?

Sure thing.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    I don't think I ever understood Grozoth's design. Like... you're supposed to build a deck with 4 Grozoth and a bunch of other 9 drops that you would tutor for by casting a single Grozoth, fetching your other Grozoths, and then transmuting them into Blazing Archon?

Sure thing.
    Grozoth came out one block after the Shoals and Myojin. Not necessarily a great deck type, but kind of a hilarious one.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    I used Grozoth to fetch Dragonstorm to fetch my shuffled in Niv-Mizzet to combo off in EDH before.

Also, it can fetch Darksteel Forge, Blasphemous Act, Iona, Reya, Rise of the Dark Realms, Furnace Dragon and Zodiac Dragon (RIP Worldfire). Dat utility.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Sure thing.
    Grozoth came out one block after the Shoals and Myojin. Not necessarily a great deck type, but kind of a hilarious one.

Hey, Blazing Shoal is banned in Modern.

True, that has more to do with Infect than Shoals + 9-10 drops...

EDIT: On a more serious note, Grozoth was about five or six years ahead of its time. You could have a lot of fun with Grozoth and Quest for Ula's Temple.

(Although as Feral noted, you can really only get Leviathan, Inkwell, Thing From the Deep, and other copies of Grozoth.)

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Thinking about burning some of my New Player Points to learn some limited. Before I do that can anyone direct me to some videos with good walkthroughs from playing M14 Limited (the New Player Points games ONLY use M14, no Theros)

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Thinking about burning some of my New Player Points to learn some limited. Before I do that can anyone direct me to some videos with good walkthroughs from playing M14 Limited (the New Player Points games ONLY use M14, no Theros)

M14 Limited at SCG. Premium articles normally require a subscription, but once they're a few months old they are all free.
    M14 Set Reviews on CFB.
    M14 Limited at CFB.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Sure thing.

Hey, Blazing Shoal is banned in Modern.

True, that has more to do with Infect than Shoals + 9-10 drops...

EDIT: On a more serious note, Grozoth was about five or six years ahead of its time. You could have a lot of fun with Grozoth and Quest for Ula's Temple.

(Although as Feral noted, you can really only get Leviathan, Inkwell, Thing From the Deep, and other copies of Grozoth.)
    Infect drops the difficulty of sudden Shoal-related wins significantly.

A buddy of mine built the Glitterfang, Shoal/Myojin, Shoal/Myojin deck to run in a block constructed tournament. It only worked once, but I don't think I've ever seen a magic player more pumped than he was. Or one more confused than his opponent.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    nnanjinnanji Registered User regular

The Limited Resources podcast is a pretty good for learning about Limited. In their archives they'll have a 2014 set review episode.

• Options
    So I was thinking about my Heoric deck and looking at cards for it.

What about Artisan of Forms?! Can copy my opponents beasts, my Fabled Hero, my Phalanx Leader...

Seems a real add in the deck.

I could run fewer of the other guys, since he gives so much flexibility.

• Options
    Artisan of Forms doesn't seem like it will do what you want it to do. For your opponent, that means they have to have a good creature down, and those are spells that can go to beefing up the guys you already have. The best your artisan of forms can do is trade in a lot of cases.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    The Betman wrote: »
    Artisan of Forms doesn't seem like it will do what you want it to do. For your opponent, that means they have to have a good creature down, and those are spells that can go to beefing up the guys you already have. The best your artisan of forms can do is trade in a lot of cases.

My experience with Artisan in limited has been that it is really undervalued and underappreciated on the battlefield. If they attack with Nessian Asp into it and I have any sort of trick, they are just boned (assuming they don't have monstrosity). People walk into it who should really know better, and they do it multiple times in my experience.

That said, constructed has a lot more instant speed removal and creatures like Polykronos who just laugh at you when you try to copy him with a 1/1.

For APODionysus, remember that each spell you are pointing at artisan is a spell you are pointing away from your other dudes.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    PfD1COxHDV_EN.jpg
    dYYaz1GoSS_EN.jpg
    x5VhsUFaIx_EN.jpg
    KWeUHrqwJh_EN.jpg
    ooOdwI0blO_EN.jpg
    aMfmgRUAVM_EN.jpg
    8nRIb8xmVD_EN.jpg
    gtMyp0soSV_EN.jpg

The Betgirl on
  • Options
    The Full-Art Gameday promos for Pain Seer and Kiora's Follower are rad as fuck.

• Options
    9asufo_arc1408_gameday_part.jpg

9asufo_arc1408_gameday_prize.jpg

You weren't joking, damn

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Champion of Stray Souls?

Garycycling.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »

My experience with Artisan in limited has been that it is really undervalued and underappreciated on the battlefield. If they attack with Nessian Asp into it and I have any sort of trick, they are just boned (assuming they don't have monstrosity). People walk into it who should really know better, and they do it multiple times in my experience.

That said, constructed has a lot more instant speed removal and creatures like Polykronos who just laugh at you when you try to copy him with a 1/1.

For APODionysus, remember that each spell you are pointing at artisan is a spell you are pointing away from your other dudes.

my experience with Artisan in limited has been that he's a 1/1 for 2 with no text :C
    i got him in like 3 theros sealed pools, and he was hands down the worst card in the deck every time.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Huh, they reprinted Infest.

Except they made it better

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    tumblr_mzfho37fRK1r4q5pio1_400.jpg
    tumblr_mzfh67wswh1r4q5pio1_400.jpg
    Launch Day Promo
    Tromo - "a trembling or quaking with fear"
    kratis/kratos - strength/power
    this thing has forced me to make a Blue/Green kaiju deck with Colossus of Akros/Guardians of Meletis as jaegers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff4anuDvnOs

• Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    Huh, they reprinted Infest.

Except they made it better

Not the black sweeper I was hoping for, but I guess I'll take it. Stupid Caryatids still survive it.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I wasn't too hot on Standard lately, but Drown in Sorrow pretty much makes WW and RDW unplayable, so standard is a boring, expensive, Midrange fest.

Again.

So, I'm gonna cash out for Commander.

And yes, I MAD.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    New infest doesn't kill MINOTAURS so its fine

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    New Infest seems mad strong, yo.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    Not sure how good it will be in limited. Infest was awesome in Shards block, but there weren't a million random dudes back then that could rapidly accrue +1/+1 counters. It'll fuck up red decks, that's for sure, but I'm more concerned about the continued reign of U/W Heroic.

• Options
    7261_592166587532875_1531121762_n.jpg

SO IT BEGINS

• Options
    So, Minotaur Tribal is also going to be a thing? I can get behind that; I think most of my conflicts with Standard are that I just want to build decks based on themes or silly names, when Standard really seems to be about abusing broken cards from what I've seen.

• Options
    Houn wrote: »
    So, Minotaur Tribal is also going to be a thing? I can get behind that; I think most of my conflicts with Standard are that I just want to build decks based on themes or silly names, when Standard really seems to be about abusing broken cards from what I've seen.

I mean, I have two decks right now. One of which is a mono-red, a bit more serious kind of deal

the other one is a completely garbage simic deck that runs plasm captures to play sylvan primordials on turn 4

It goes off sometimes, and when it does its the best thing in the world and you can sneak out some pretty fun wins at an FNM. Standard is what you want it to be, moreso when you're at the right place to play it at.

• Options
    7261_592166587532875_1531121762_n.jpg

SO IT BEGINS

I love that this guy is just Edgewalker (+1 toughness, because Minotaurs are tough) for a different tribe.

• Options
    Every minotaur except Minotaur Skullcleaver survives an Infest, and that's all I needed to know

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Every minotaur except Minotaur Skullcleaver survives an Infest, and that's all I needed to know

Fanatic of Mogis doesn't either but he's already done what he was put in the deck to do. (As has the Skullcleaver, probably.)

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Hrm, I bet I could craft up a version of that Mogis/Desecration deck with Minotaurs...

This discussion has been closed.