As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic: the Gathering] Durdle turtle's a big hurdle.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Fixed, thank y'sir.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Log Elemental
    Morph - Sacrifice X untapped forests.
    Log Elemental has power and toughness equal to the number of untapped Forests sacrificed when it was morphed.

Templating is an issue. What's its P/T if not cast as a morph? Might I suggest something more like "when Log Elemental is turned face up, place X +1/+1 counters on it"

You're right. Let's template this properly.

The *s in the lower right hand corner are equal to the number of untapped forests you bury when Log Elemental was turned face-up. You may not bury forests that are already on the way to the graveyard.

Yes but again, in this templating, as old school as it is, you can't hard cast it. It would be a 0/0.

Edit: now there may be room for a card with NO hard casting cost... that can only be played first as a Morph.

What about a cycle of 0/0 morph creatures? Something like:

Blue Morph
    UU2
    Creature - Human Wizard
    0/0
    Flash
    Morph UU
    When Blue Morph is cast from your hand or turned face up, counter target spell.
    When Blue Morph is turned face up, place a +1/+1 counter on Blue Morph.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    What about something properly weird like a Morph Instant?
    You'd have to move it to the Stack as part of its Morph cost but I think it could work.
    Something like:

Morphing Bolt {RR}
    Instant
    Morphing Bolt deals two damage to target creature or player.
    Morph — RR, move ~ to the stack and choose a target for it.

Edit: or a morph Sorcery; since you wouldn't be casting it when you turned it face up you could effectively "cast it as though it had Flash" or something.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Those are some neat ideas. MaRo has hinted that Morph will be used in unexpected ways. We could very well get something like that

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Is "detach" a word that makes sense in an ability that refers to Auras or equipment?
    Like could a card have "detach target equipment" as an effect?

"Becomes unattached" is the best we have, IIRC.
    Winky wrote: »
    Also I ended up playing two different opponents with that fucking phoenix. It is such a pain in the ass; literally the only card I know of in the set that can get rid of it is Azban Charm.

Kill it while it's still face-down.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Is "detach" a word that makes sense in an ability that refers to Auras or equipment?
    Like could a card have "detach target equipment" as an effect?

@Mr_Rose‌

Image.ashx?multiverseid=205488&type=card

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Ah, perfect.
    Tantu Totem {2(2/G)}
    Artifact — Equipment
    Equip {2}
    {t}, {(2/G)(2/G)(2/G)}: unattach all auras from equipped creature then search your graveyard, hand and library for an Aura with "Totem Armor" and attach it to equipped creature.

N.B. it has to be unattach because SBAs don't check until the ability finishes resolving and if it sacrificed them instead it could reattach the aura you just sac'd. I think. It's also a bit long but there's not much to be done about that.

• PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Blue Morph
    UU2
    Creature - Human Wizard
    0/0
    Flash
    Morph UU
    When Blue Morph is turned face up, place a +1/+1 counter on Blue Morph.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't work. It will die while the the "place a +1/+1 counter" trigger is still on the stack.

The opposite effect actually works better (at least as far as templating works):

Whelk Welp
    2UU
    Creature - Illusion
    0/0
    Flash
    Morph UU
    ~ Enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counters.
    When ~ enters the battlefield or is turned face up, counter target spell.

Edit: I suppose the original meaning could be done as something like:
    Blue Morph
    UU2
    Creature - Human Wizard
    0/0
    Flash
    Morph UU
    As Blue Morph is turned face up, place a +1/+1 counter on Blue Morph.

I think this would create a replacement effect which would replace turning Blue Morph face up with turning it face up and putting a +1/+1 counter on it.

Papillon on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Hooded Hydra exists, so the answer stands before thee.

• Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    thinking on these painful dragon morphs...
    Azban, the Eternal 10WWWWW
    Legendary Creature- Dragon

Lifelink

Morph 3WWW

When ~ is turned face up, you get an emblem with "Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, sacrifice two permanents."

When ~ is tapped, destroy all creatures you don't control.

11/11

Jeskai, the Master 10UUUUU

Flying

Morph 3UUU

When ~ is turned face up, you get an emblem with "If you would take an extra turn, choose an opponent. That opponent controls you during that turn."

Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, take an extra turn after this one.

11/11

Sultai, the Merciless 10BBBBB

Intimidate

Morph 3BBB

When ~ is turned face up, you get an emblem with "If you would draw a card, exile it instead."

Whenever ~ deals combat damage, draw thirteen cards.

11/11

Mardu, the Destroyer 10RRRRR

Double Strike

Morph 3RRR

When ~ is turned face up, you get an emblem with "If a source would deal damage to you, it deals double that damage to you instead."

Whenever ~ attacks, tap all creatures defending player controls. They deal damage to you equal to their power.

11/11

Temur, the Hartless 10GGGGG

Trample

Morph 3GGG

When ~ is turned face up, you get an emblem with "Whenever a point of mana leaves your mana pool, sacrifice a land."

Whenever ~ attacks, add GGGGG to your mana pool.

11/11

Shock G on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Yeah you just have to change "when ~ is turned face up" to "as ~ is turned face up.

• PapillonPapillon Registered User regular

I haven't been really paying attention to Khans.

Papillon wrote: »

I haven't been really paying attention to Khans.

I think Hooded Hydra works because they wrote it as "as Hooded Hydra is turned face up" rather than the usual "when"

Wasn't trying to make you feel bad about not being omniscient. Intent was to just say "WotC has your back on this and printed a cool card that answers your rules query."

Is kind of amazing how much difference a word makes for a magic card. We're not even talking about big keywords - like flying or Deathtouch - but the small regular words. The difference between As and When is the difference between the creature killing itself and not.

Magic is crazy

• tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    Went to my first prerelease last night. Went 2-1-1. Got mana screwed in the final match but still had fun! Temur was the clan I chose and no one expected the third beat punch.

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
    Is kind of amazing how much difference a word makes for a magic card. We're not even talking about big keywords - like flying or Deathtouch - but the small regular words. The difference between As and When is the difference between the creature killing itself and not.

Magic is crazy

The CR document is basically written in the same language as contracts and some laws, not actual English. The terms "when" "whenever" and "at" have specified meanings that are at best parallel to their regular human language meanings. Similarly, there's a list if things which are Replacement Effects:
    614. Replacement Effects

614.1. Some continuous effects are replacement effects. Like prevention effects (see rule 615),
    replacement effects apply continuously as events happen—they aren’t locked in ahead of time. Such
    effects watch for a particular event that would happen and completely or partially replace that event
    with a different event. They act like “shields” around whatever they’re affecting.

614.1a Effects that use the word “instead” are replacement effects. Most replacement effects use the
    word “instead” to indicate what events will be replaced with other events.

614.1b Effects that use the word “skip” are replacement effects. These replacement effects use the
    word “skip” to indicate what events, steps, phases, or turns will be replaced with nothing.

614.1c Effects that read “[This permanent] enters the battlefield with . . . ,” “As [this permanent]
    enters the battlefield . . . ,” or “[This permanent] enters the battlefield as . . . ” are replacement
    effects.

614.1d Continuous effects that read “[This permanent] enters the battlefield . . .” or “[Objects] enter
    the battlefield . . .” are replacement effects.

614.1e Effects that read “As [this permanent] is turned face up . . . ,” are replacement effects.
    Crazy it may be but that's what happens when you let lawyers (or something like them anyway) write card game rules…

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    the thing is, the rules MUST be written this way, because there has to be a way to consistently resolve every specific interaction that couldn't necessarily have been foreseen.

it's essentially programming.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Lucedes wrote: »
    the thing is, the rules MUST be written this way, because there has to be a way to consistently resolve every specific interaction that couldn't necessarily have been foreseen.

it's essentially programming.

Yup. Rules consistency is one of the reasons why Magic has lasted this long.

TryCatcher on
  • slappybagslappybag Local Badass Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
    Went today, went 3-2.

Any cool combos you guys found while playing?

I had the Ankle goblin guy who gave deathtouch when he attacked. I used the red 'creature you have fights another creature' with the deathtouch.

Ankle Shanker is basically the perfect Aggro card in limited.

I haven't really looked at the set with Limited combo in mind yet, but nothing has jumped out at me like the ol' Burning Anger/Midnight Guard or HornetQueen/that bounce a creature every turn dude. I'm sure there are some goofy things though.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Ankle Shanker would be tolerable if it didn't have haste, imo

But since it does, its SO fucking obnoxious

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Maybe we'll get Morph-Evoke hybrids?

Bomb Spider 2BB
    Creatuer - Spider
    Morph - B
    When Bomb Spider is turned faced up, sacrifice it.
    When Bomb Spider dies, target creature gets -4/-4 until end of turn.
    2/4

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I'm really not enjoying this set very much yet.

Maybe that will change when I draft it instead of sealed.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

You should build Storm. Maybe that will help

I was watching the CFB Khans drafts over the weekend, and it looked pretty neat, though Josh Utter-Leyton kept drafting Abzan which didn't really help make things exciting. Abzan Guide seems like a dumb common.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I saw a guy double Bear Punch with an Abzan Guide, then swing for 8 with it. Gained 22 life.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I was watching the CFB Khans drafts over the weekend, and it looked pretty neat, though Josh Utter-Leyton kept drafting Abzan which didn't really help make things exciting. Abzan Guide seems like a dumb common.

All of the common Morphs are really good, and most of them trade favorably with Abzan Guide.

admanb wrote: »

All of the common Morphs are really good, and most of them trade favorably with Abzan Guide.

I understand that they developed this environment in a particular manner such that the Morphs abide by a certain philosophy of "non-punishment"; I was just stating that Abzan Guide made a distinct impression upon me, unlike Abomination of Godul or Ponyback Brigade, which each seemed good but not "dumb-good". Of course, I shouldn't fail to acknowledge that the Guide's "dumb-goodness" was exacerbated by the prevalence of Armament Corps and Abzan Charm in Utter-Leyton's decks.

The fact that the Guide inherently triggers Ferocious, as in Kal's example, is a serious boon though.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i only played one match against abzan this weekend, and while the game where he flattened me with triple guides was pretty bleh, i didn't feel too wrecked by the card even as a mardu deck with unexciting creatures

a 4/4 morpher is in a pretty decent spot for the person trying to remove it, at least, allowing suspension field and smite the monstrous, and falling back into heart piercer/morph-trade range after a debilitating injury

i didn't draft the snot out of theros, but i feel a little less threatened by lifelink now than i did then

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    i only played one match against abzan this weekend, and while the game where he flattened me with triple guides was pretty bleh, i didn't feel too wrecked by the card even as a mardu deck with unexciting creatures

a 4/4 morpher is in a pretty decent spot for the person trying to remove it, at least, allowing suspension field and smite the monstrous, and falling back into heart piercer/morph-trade range after a debilitating injury

i didn't draft the snot out of theros, but i feel a little less threatened by lifelink now than i did then

Lifelink was a huge deal in Theros because you could plop a Hopeful Eidolon onto any huge creature, or make a lifelinker into a huge creature. Khans seems much lighter on ways to enhance your creatures, other than Outlast. There aren't many auras or equipment worth playing in limited, while Theros was packed with them.

• nnanjinnanji Registered User regular
    I went 3-1-1 at my pre-release which was good for 4th place. I chose Temur, but my packs were slanted towards Sultai. Fortunately my mana was good enough for me to play a 4 color deck. The event was really fun but I went to time in 3 of the 5 rounds. So many tap lands and incidental life gain from the refuges really slowed things down. There were so many games where I would just let their morphs beat on me for a turn or tow and I would still be at 20 life. The wound I lost I got beat down by the Durdle Turtle. Such a slow, painful way to die.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    If you ever get a pool with enough dual lands to pull off 5-color morph, I highly recommend it. Not only is it a blast to play, but your opponents have no idea what to expect once you have access to all five colors of mana. I lost to it in my midnight event and later had a pool that supported it and it was amazing.

Not sure if it will work so well in draft, but it's something to keep in mind for PTQ/GP season.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    If you ever get a pool with enough dual lands to pull off 5-color morph, I highly recommend it. Not only is it a blast to play, but your opponents have no idea what to expect once you have access to all five colors of mana. I lost to it in my midnight event and later had a pool that supported it and it was amazing.

Not sure if it will work so well in draft, but it's something to keep in mind for PTQ/GP season.

This was actually going to be my go to drafting strategy this week. I'll just do what I did in DGR draft and pick bombs>top-tier removal>mana-fixing. In DGR I usually wound up with 7-10 gates and I'd wager I could end up with that many or more non-basics in triple Khans.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Durdle Turtle's a real hurdle. Enough to make your blood curdle.

turtle's pretty big, but i definitely beat one last weekend. force away -> crippling chill -> singing bell strike.

knuckleblade beat the stuffing out of me though. that dude brings the pain.

I did terribly in both my prerelease, but at least I got to pull my awesome Rotting Mastodon + Kin-Tree Invocation combo!

The Betman wrote: »
    Ankle Shanker would be tolerable if it didn't have haste, imo

But since it does, its SO fucking obnoxious

Ankle Shanker has been a dud about half the time. This includes times I've had one and times I've gone against one.

I'll just refuse to block your army of little 1/1s and 2/1s and swing back with Abzan Guide/Bellowing Saddlebrute/etc.

Whereas a durdle card like Herald of Anafenza is a serious threat every time it hits the table unless I have removal for it.

NdDk6SS.jpg

the thread title is chafing me.

This discussion has been closed.