As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me (find someone to) clothe myself

ElbertoryElbertory Registered User new member
I never know what clothes to get and I don't seem to do a very good job picking out stuff for myself, so I'm looking for a better solution. I've been able to shop with friends a few times to get their advice, and that generally seems to go well, but I don't want to constantly burden them with my fashion limitations. I've heard of online services that can help you figure out a style and what kinds of clothes to buy (presumably based on you answering some questions, providing some body data, etc.). I think one such service was even mentioned in one of Tycho's posts awhile back, so my question is...

Does anyone know of (or, better yet, has anyone actually used) such a service?

• Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    Like a Nordstrom personal stylist (formerly known as a 'personal shopper,' I suppose)?

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    I think Jcrew still has personal stylists too. But they started putting cashmere into everything so I haven't shopped there in years. (Wool allergies.)

• Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Not sure of any formal service, but SE++ has a pretty friendly/helpful fashion thread:

forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/185450/the-fashion-thread-wherein-usagi-has-stars-upon-thars/p1

Try posting some pics in there, and people will be glad to comment.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I've read a bit about Trunk Club, which seems similar to what you're looking for -- they basically pick out and ship you a bunch of outfits and you pay for what you want and ship the rest back -- a friend tried them out recently and I haven't heard back about the actual results but he was really impressed with how detailed the interview process was.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Trunk club is the one that Tycho tried; if you listen to the DLC podcasts around that time, there's a bunch more discussion about what happened, and how well it worked (very well, apparently). Downside: it's pretty expensive, based on a quick look at their website.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    if you have the money to spend pretty much any brand name mall clothing store has multiple people there who will help you out

Nordstrom's is an extreme example, but that's the general concept

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    So, go to a store that carries your size. Find mannequin with something you like. Try on sizes until you find thd best fit. Buy clothes off mannequin.

It's pretty much the foolproof way to make sure you at least look decent.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    @Stale fucking loves Trunk Club as far as I remember and will probably be more than happy to tell you of his experiences with it. Yes it is a bit spendy to purchase items directly through them but I don't think there's a purchase commitment and you can at the least use it to decide what you like and don't like in terms of sizes, cuts, colors to have that information when you go shopping for yourself.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Trunk Club is amazing and I have gotten a LOT of not only great clothes, but awesome style advice and direction from my stylist.

However, this isn't exactly cheap, nor is it for everyone. You'll sign up and speak, for about 15-20 minutes, to your personal stylist. He or She will figure out your measurements (Hint: Just because you wear a 36x32 in Levis doesn't mean you have either a 36" waist or a 32" inseam), what you generally wear now, and most importantly what you want to wear in the future and going forward. They'll ask about what you dress for, how you do it, where you shop, all that. Then you'll give them a credit card and they'll put together a trunk.

It costs you nothing. Zero. No hold, no authorization, no nothing. You have a zero dollar investment as of yet. Your trunk is FedExed out to you 2nd day air and you get it, divided up into outfits and looks, along with a hand written letter describing each item and how to pair them or wear them.

At this point you try everything on and see what you like and what you don't. The price list is right there in front of you, no surprises, no fees, no nothing. All up front.

It isn't cheap. It also isn't cheap clothing. It's quality stuff. And generally not stuff you're going to find at a mall. You can always call up your stylist and ask questions, get advice, get clarification. This costs you nothing. It's part of the service and built into the cost of the clothes.

Once you've made your choices, keep what you want, send the rest back with the pre-paid label and you only pay for what you kept. You can fill out a checklist online that shows each item and you select why you did or did not keep it. It's all simple buttons "Too big, didn't fit right, didn't like the color, didn't like the fabric, would never wear this, too expensive, etc etc"

You can request another trunk right away, or never again, up to you. They only send a trunk when you ask, and it only has things you specifically ask for. I usually ask for a trunk every couple months and just send Erin an email saying "Hey pack me a trunk with chinos, oxfords, and 3 or 4 pair of socks", 2 days later a trunk shows up at the office with my clothes. Easy as that.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I used Trunk Club, but I really can't recommend doing it long term. They sent me a few items that basically showed me what styles I ought to be looking for this season, but other than one pair of $300 chinos I sent everything back. They charge MSRP+ on high end clothes that literally NO ONE buys at that price. If you can get a trunk club trunk, take pictures of what came out, think about how the outfits work together, then send it back and do the shopping yourself, that'd be a pretty big help. That's basically what I did.

But seriously, they charge prices that literally no one ever pays for those clothes. Undershirts for $50 each. $225 dress shirts. I buy those brands and that quality, but I never pay full price for it.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    It's about 50/50 really. Sometimes its exactly what you would pay from a brand, but its last season's line so it's not discounted like it would be otherwise.

But again, I always chalked it up to paying for the service. I'm tough to fit, tall and very thin, so it's worth it for me to have someone else do all the legwork for me. Plus, I just hate shopping.

But it is certainly not for everyone, you have to be willing to pay a premium for the overall service and not just the clothes.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yeah, if the service is worth a 400% markup they're pretty great, and the free shipping back and forth is nice.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ElbertoryElbertory Registered User new member
    Awesome, thanks for all the advice.

I think I'll give Trunk Club a shot, but maybe just for a little while (and hopefully I'll get an idea of what works through that process).