As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Whomp! comic - ChicoBlue immortalizes Ronnie in a Bauhaus poster

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Well, not all of it. I just took the hand and 'what' out. You rotated the grin, as I recall?

Atheraal on
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I shall share my little secret. When I first read whomp, I was not impressed. I mean, sad little man comics oh boy.
    But enough people were so enamored I kept reading them.
    Im not sure when I started liking the comic. It was a gradual thing, mostly from skimming the webcomics thread.
    But one day, I actually checked out the website and then I spent a couple evenings just devouring the archive.
    Now, this thread is kinda a little weird, but yes. Good comic.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I shall share my little secret. When I first read whomp, I was not impressed. I mean, sad little man comics oh boy.
    But enough people were so enamored I kept reading them.
    Im not sure when I started liking the comic. It was a gradual thing, mostly from skimming the webcomics thread.
    But one day, I actually checked out the website and then I spent a couple evenings just devouring the archive.
    Now, this thread is kinda a little weird, but yes. Good comic.

Ha ha, it happened pretty much exactly the same for me, except I haven't gone back and read the archive.

Actually when people first started posting it I actively hated Whomp, 'cause I'm a fatty and therefore not down with fatty hating.

But as time went on I came to appreciate the comic and I laugh pretty hard at some of them. "Google that good thing" is one of my favorites.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    2013-11-01-Just-Because-You-Candy.jpg

When I'm at the store, I constantly worry that people are going to do this to me.

I also worry that people will put things in my cart and I won't notice. So I'll just get to the register and absentmindedly start loading up the belt with everything in the cart and end up with two boxes of laxatives and a box of condoms right next to each other and then I'll have to suffer the questioning, unbelieving gaze of the check-out girl as I explain that no, neither of them are things I intended to purchase or use and I don't know how they got in my cart. Yes, I'm sure. No, I don't need either of them and especially not both of them together. Please stop silently judging me. They're honestly not mine.

So basically what I'm saying is the world is terrifying and we must be ever-vigilant.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    If it makes you feel better, Darth Mogs, I would actually never take something out of someone's buggy unless I REALLY REALLY wanted it (nearly to the point of necessity), and I've never wanted something that badly.

Now here's a shopping cart story just for you. It happened a few weeks ago.

I had a grocery cart with perhaps 10 items in it. I park the buggy out of everyone's way so I can maneuver into a busy aisle for something I need. I come back, place it in my buggy and roll away. I then go to the other side of the (very small) store to get a bag of tortilla chips. As I go to put them in the buggy, I say to myself "I don't remember getting pork chops. Or orange juice. This... this is not my buggy."

So someone is walking around, wondering where the heck their buggy went, because I return to my buggy, and it hasn't been moved. I still don't know where I got the stranger buggy. So I park the wrong buggy and roll away with mine. I immediately decide "OKAY I HAVE ALL MY SHOPPING DONE" because my greatest fear at that point was that the original owner would see my buggy and say "Hey! That's the one that belongs to the guy who took mine!"

I never saw the person, and I wonder if they ever found their buggy.

P.S. Yeah, I say buggy

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    btw i worked in a grocery store for like 5 years and we totally played the "try to figure out what the customer planned for the evening based on what they were buying" game so if a guy bought like condoms and garbage bags and zipties and bleach and strawberries and a ten gallon jug of lard we were like "should we call the cops?"

what i'm saying is yes the grocery store cashiers are judging you every time
    :bz

• TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Ronnie I worked my way through uni in a part time thing at a supermarket. I saw someone do that sort of thing at least once a week. Occasionally they would be so embarrassed they would look down, click that it wasn't their stuff and just immediately leave the building absent any shopping whatsoever.
    There is nothing like the shuffle of a deeply embarrassed person trying desperately not to break into a run to escape further awkwardness.
    in other news it is 5 am and I am just hammering the random button and seeing whomps I forgot about. good fun, useful feature.

Taskman on
    uGn5f.png
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    self-checkout is civilization

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Never leave a trolley unattended in Ikea.

Used to get a lot of complaints from customers who returned to find the trolley missing and the contents dumped unceremoniously on the floor.

It's not because the trolleys were in hot demand and had run out. No, people are just too fucking lazy to walk to where the trolleys are when they can force someone else to do it instead.

broken image link
    Kilroy wrote: »

robots stealing jobs from the working man

i know what you are, Kilroy

got my eye on you

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    buggy is a weird thing to call it!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    It's called a shopping cart, you vile provincials.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Taskman wrote: »
    Ronnie I worked my way through uni in a part time thing at a supermarket. I saw someone do that sort of thing at least once a week. occasionally they would be so embarrassed they would look down, click that it wasn't there stuff and just immediately leave the building absent any shopping whatsoever.
    There is nothing like the shuffle of a deeply embarrassed person trying desperately not to break into a run to escape further awkwardness.
    in other news it is 5 am and I am just hammering the random button and seeing whomps I forgot about. good fun, useful feature.

oh my god yes

that little half-waddle not quite jog

it is amazing

or when someone knocks something off a shelf but it didn't break enough to make a mess but enough to damage the product

like a dented can or a slightly cracked jar

and they put it back and they shuffle away with a heart leaden with guilt because they don't feel behooved to tell anyone because it didn't actually make a mess but they don't want to pay for the broken item so they're like AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA inside and they're just trying to get away as fast as they can without looking like the horrid person they feel inside

i remember asking my manager when i was new what the policy on that was if we saw people doing that and he was like

"let them go, there is nothing you can do or say that will make it worse than how they feel"

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Except of course when you're stuck behind a long line of arseholes that can't figure out how to use the damn self-checkout kiosks.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Trolley has some things to say to you.

• FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

When I'm at the store, I constantly worry that people are going to do this to me.

I also worry that people will put things in my cart and I won't notice. So I'll just get to the register and absentmindedly start loading up the belt with everything in the cart and end up with two boxes of laxatives and a box of condoms right next to each other and then I'll have to suffer the questioning, unbelieving gaze of the check-out girl as I explain that no, neither of them are things I intended to purchase or use and I don't know how they got in my cart. Yes, I'm sure. No, I don't need either of them and especially not both of them together. Please stop silently judging me. They're honestly not mine.

So basically what I'm saying is the world is terrifying and we must be ever-vigilant.

My uncle got sent to the store once with a shopping list by my grandma. He didn't really think all that much of it, it was only two items after all. Now my uncle is/was a sensitive soul.

So he gets to the checkout and puts the items on the counter. The items? Laxatives and bulk toilet paper.

The cashier lady looked him right in the eye and said, "Planning ahead, eh?"

He cried all the way home.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular

Trolley has some things to say to you.

Is that it's another word for street car? because i already know Trolly. Remember when you showed up at my house drunk?

Cause i can't forget that night.

Had to throw away those lawn chairs.

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Falx wrote: »

My uncle got sent to the store once with a shopping list by my grandma. He didn't really think all that much of it, it was only two items after all. Now my uncle is/was a sensitive soul.

So he gets to the checkout and puts the items on the counter. The items? Laxatives and bulk toilet paper.

I01U9sb.png

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Ronnies your uncle ?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014

there's something I find deeply respectable about someone who performs a useful but not terribly important job with care and devotion

Shorty on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    not terribly important my ass

do you know how much less marginally annoying my job would be if our carts were properly cared for with that level of devotion?

a lot!

a lot less marginally annoying!

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    as someone whose job could be performed by a polite robot, I can respect that guy

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Whomp! comics are basically my life.

He says, having just finished 12 ice cream sandwiches.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Remember that fanart someone drew of Ronnie putting on make-up?

Because I can never forget it.

By Reavz (Maybe don't look for it at work)
    tumblr_mhhkcx0A6S1qd904no1_1280.png
    tumblr_mhhkcx0A6S1qd904no2_1280.png
    tumblr_mhhkcx0A6S1qd904no3_1280.png
    tumblr_mhhkcx0A6S1qd904no4_1280.png

Well.

Hello.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular

Ronnies your uncle ?

Man I wish.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    as someone whose job could be performed by a polite robot, I can respect that guy
    A polite robot?

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    W5yRrZp.gif

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Never leave a trolley unattended in Ikea.

Used to get a lot of complaints from customers who returned to find the trolley missing and the contents dumped unceremoniously on the floor.

It's not because the trolleys were in hot demand and had run out. No, people are just too fucking lazy to walk to where the trolleys are when they can force someone else to do it instead.

Well I don't know if this the case for every IKEA, but the one I visit most often is designed so that you can't get back to the entrance of the store once you're in the showroom until you go past the checkout counters. There's a one-way escalator that goes into the showroom and you're stuck. Like, maybe you could sneak on to the elevator or something.

Shorty wrote: »

there's something I find deeply respectable about someone who performs a useful but not terribly important job with care and devotion

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment, in this case the ads are of a humourous nature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLH4RJ2WEWM

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

It's called a shopping trolley you bloody colonials. 8->

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I love playing Mario Trolley 64.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    One thing I love about Whomp is how the edges of Ronnies' glasses sink into his face when he makes expressions.

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

robots stealing jobs from the working man

i know what you are, Kilroy

got my eye on you

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SDrpvb-L1r8

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

That was one bizarre PAL version

VRXwDW7.png
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

If there was an unlockable one of these:

shopping-trolley.jpg

in Mario Kart I think I'd die laughing.

If I could put all my shopping in one of these:

kt168x2_go_kart.jpg

there's a good chance I'd never leave the supermarket.

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Tore through the archives here at work, gotta say, its really hard to answer the phone when some of the comics have hit so close to home I'm in a state of giggles.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular

Except of course when you're stuck behind a long line of arseholes that can't figure out how to use the damn self-checkout kiosks.

True story, several years ago when they first put in self-checkouts in the Fred Meyer of my little college town, I actually had to wait to use one while the attendant helped some do the self check out. And I "helped" I mean "did everything for her."

The lady then said "I never like doing this myself."

It took all my will power and restraint to not just yell at her, "Then why the hell are you using the goddamned self checkout!?"

BLM - ACAB
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Shorty wrote: »

That little bit at the end, where he pushes the cart into the other line of carts from far away? Yeah, I do that all the time.

At a couple of grocery stores, they have big plastic sides in the rack where the carts go, and so sometimes I like to ricochet them of the side once before it lands into the other carts.

BLM - ACAB
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    well actually ma'am, they've started offering full service checkout lanes in this establishment

a small gratuity is considered customary

This discussion has been closed.