As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whomp! comic - ChicoBlue immortalizes Ronnie in a Bauhaus poster

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    The Geek wrote: »
    Kilroy wrote: »
    self-checkout is civilization

Except of course when you're stuck behind a long line of arseholes that can't figure out how to use the damn self-checkout kiosks.

True story, several years ago when they first put in self-checkouts in the Fred Meyer of my little college town, I actually had to wait to use one while the attendant helped some do the self check out. And I "helped" I mean "did everything for her."

The lady then said "I never like doing this myself."

It took all my will power and restraint to not just yell at her, "Then why the hell are you using the goddamned self checkout!?"

I saw this news report that was like "Self-Checkouts are being removed from some locations" and one guy they were interviewing says "It's slower than a regular checkout." THEN USE THE REGULAR CHECKOUT IF IT'S SO MUCH FASTER. THE EXISTENCE OF SELF CHECKOUT DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR LIFE EXCEPT THAT IT GETS PEOPLE OUT OF THE LINE YOU SO DESPERATELY DESIRE

My local Wal-Mart still doesn't have self-checkout, probably because it's in the middle of I Don't Know Nothin' 'Bout Nothin' County and there would be rioting

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »

Except of course when you're stuck behind a long line of arseholes that can't figure out how to use the damn self-checkout kiosks.

True story, several years ago when they first put in self-checkouts in the Fred Meyer of my little college town, I actually had to wait to use one while the attendant helped some do the self check out. And I "helped" I mean "did everything for her."

It took all my will power and restraint to not just yell at her, "Then why the hell are you using the goddamned self checkout!?"

I saw this news report that was like "Self-Checkouts are being removed from some locations" and one guy they were interviewing says "It's slower than a regular checkout." THEN USE THE REGULAR CHECKOUT IF IT'S SO MUCH FASTER. THE EXISTENCE OF SELF CHECKOUT DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR LIFE EXCEPT THAT IT GETS PEOPLE OUT OF THE LINE YOU SO DESPERATELY DESIRE

I liked the idea of self checkout until some stores decided that certain times of the day would be self-checkout only. Then you've got a long line behind the self checkout, only one person to help everybody, and checkout stations having problems so the checkout person has to do everything manually anyway. So yeah, that takes longer, and makes me wish they kept just one line open with regular checkout, because I'd rather wait in line for someone who can in theory check me out 100% than going to a self checkout that thinks I'm trying to steal every item that I scanned because it doesn't understand how different things have different weights.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    hey, self-checkout pushes alternative lifestyles

and that's against my religion

mmhmm

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    if i wanted to check myself out i wouldn't have broken and covered all my mirrors.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

Translation: "I am a lazy fuck who doesn't want to do anything myself because I can't blame the cashier if something fucks up due to my own incompetence. And I can't walk the five feet to get in the regular line because I might shit my pants."

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    im jelly the ronster gets his own thread but also happy hes sticking around now the other threads deid

sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My local Wal-Mart still doesn't have self-checkout, probably because it's in the middle of I Don't Know Nothin' 'Bout Nothin' County and there would be rioting

My walmart had self checkouts, and I loved them.
    Aside from the occasional person who had to call over the cashier a dozen times to finish their transaction, they really sped things up for me.

Then they removed them.
    And installed 6 under 12 items cashiers.
    Which always has a long line now.

I shop there a lot less now

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

I liked the idea of self checkout until some stores decided that certain times of the day would be self-checkout only. Then you've got a long line behind the self checkout, only one person to help everybody, and checkout stations having problems so the checkout person has to do everything manually anyway. So yeah, that takes longer, and makes me wish they kept just one line open with regular checkout, because I'd rather wait in line for someone who can in theory check me out 100% than going to a self checkout that thinks I'm trying to steal every item that I scanned because it doesn't understand how different things have different weights.

Places do this? That's nuts. Ours are usually the exact opposite with self-checkout being closed at night

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    where I live, everyone is quick and comfortable at self checkouts, even the older folks

It is wonderful

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yo, for the record, I've walked into grocery stores that didn't have any standard checkout lines open

so this talk of ARGLE BARGLE IT HAS NO EFFECT ON YOU DON'T USE IT IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT isn't always true

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    The only place I've been with them is Wal*Mart and considering I usually go there at like 2am (night shift) I can't say I've had much in the way of line back-up.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    yo, for the record, I've walked into grocery stores that didn't have any standard checkout lines open

so this talk of ARGLE BARGLE IT HAS NO EFFECT ON YOU DON'T USE IT IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT isn't always true

Our local supermarkets all have self checkout lanes and regular checkouts.

The self checkout lanes were marketed as money saving installations for the supermarkets (five different members of my family have worked in supermarkets over the last 20 years), and the supermarket management fucking loved that, because there seems to be no greater pain in life for the management of national supermarket chains in Australia than paying wages.

So the supermarkets that I use most regularly went from having about half as many manned lanes open as required, to a single solitary lane and half a dozen self checkouts open at any time.

Consequently, the lines for the one lane and the self checkout back up and clog up the end of the store where the checkouts are, so then trolley traffic and flow gets completely fucked because you have to either go along the aisle you want until you get the product you desire, then turn around and head back the other way through the aisle, or leave your trolley at the end of each aisle and go get what you want and bring it back to your trolley.

Guess how well that works with 100+ people all trying to shop in 12 aisles, oh, and the deli is situated along the back wall where the trolley traffic is preventing anyone from approaching the counter.

Amy and I are lucky that with our work schedules (and now my no work schedule!), one of us was always free to go at a time when there would be less people there, like 10 a.m. on a Tuesday.

For people that work long hours though, you'd be stuck battling your way through an hour or so of grocery shopping on a Thursday night.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    We built false cashiers to check out for us

How proud we have become, and how blind

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I was in Whomp once.

It was pretty damn cool.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I was in Whomp once.

It was pretty damn cool.

Totes jelly.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    if i wanted to check myself out i wouldn't have broken and covered all my mirrors.

I thought that was because of the malevolent spirits?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I was in Whomp once.

It was pretty damn cool.
    That is a thing that should have a link when you say it.

Just sayin'.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I was in Whomp once.

It was pretty damn cool.

Just sayin'.

http://www.whompcomic.com/2012/03/19/hare-brained-schemes/

(Thanks Ronnie! I still love this comic.)

rhylith on
  • Options
    Rhylith gave generously to Child's Play and deserves much more than that comic

• Options

I, for one, welcome our robot cashier overlords.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I worked a wal mart as a summer job one time

As one of the only cashiers under 60 I ended up being the de facto self checkout guy

Ostensibly that just means keeping an eye on the machines, refilling the receipt printers, making sure no one is trying to shoplift something

In reality it was pretty much the exact same thing as working a normal register except I got to deal with four dumbshit customers at a time instead of one

• Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

actual shopping experience at Wal-Mart, 2015:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwqN3Ur-wP0

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    wat

• Options
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

actual shopping experience at Wal-Mart, 2015:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwqN3Ur-wP0

That shoplifter totally got what it deserved.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Alpha Centauri had some goddamn cool lore.

• Options
    all educated men should be able to quote Alpha Centauri by heart

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    if you couldn't recognize that as the self aware coloney from the screen cap alone I don't even want to know you

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I've never played that game :(

• Options

there is no excuse for this

gog.com/game/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri

seriously it costs roughly as much as a bad sandwich, everyone deserves to experience it

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    alpha centauri is one of the most well-written games ever, made doubly impressive by being in a genre not known for writing

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

I still recognized it just from how often people post it here.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    Whomp should have more hats in it.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I love this one:

2011-11-30-The-Inside-Gory.jpg
    Well, Mr Filyaw. The problem is you've got your hands in the air, and you're waving them around like you just don't care. Around here, we respect the established norms of sub-shoulder arm orientation.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I just archive binged the entirety of Whomp! today.

It's probably got the highest comic-laugh ratio of any webcomic since I archived binged Penny Arcade a couple of years back.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

I thought that was because of the malevolent spirits?

It can be for two reasons!

Shut up!

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I was in Whomp once.

It was pretty damn cool.

Just sayin'.

http://www.whompcomic.com/2012/03/19/hare-brained-schemes/

(Thanks Ronnie! I still love this comic.)

The carrot skirt just seals the deal

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The decision to use self checkout or regular checkout is a complex decision based off many variables.

1. Am I carry FRUIT? (Fruit is a self checkout nightmare!)

2. Is anyone in the self checkout line carrying FRUIT? (These people are even less competent than I am and probably look under b for brown onions)

3. How many people in the line are OLD? (This applies to both lines, although it gets even worse with the self checkouts as old people will pay in cash and probably will cry when the computer asks them a question as it's the closest they've had to human contact in months.

4. How many people can I superficially judge and class them as IDIOTS. (This is mostly determined with are they in a self checkout with trolleys)

Once these variables have been decided then you start working the numbers game.

First you figure out the actual wait number through the self checkout. This is given by, number of people in the line divided by number of self checkouts open, rounded up. This is you comparison number that you compare the other cues to.

Next you look at the other queues. One checkout chick will go through a persons stuff approximately 25% faster than a regular person. And trolley load of shopping is approximately equal to three to four regular baskets.

Then you do the maths and figure out where you should go.

And that's how you should make decisions if you're a fucking nerd.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Shopping with an engineer, ladies and gentlemen

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    You also have to note the last person in all the other lines.

Once you step into your line, you are in a race with them.

This discussion has been closed.