As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Borderlands 2] Pre-Sequel lands on the goddamn moon. Now with Improved Drop Rates!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So, up until this point most of the companies in the Borderlands universe have had their shit kicked in.
    Dahl got rocked by Pandora/Atlas.
    Atlas got rocked by the VHs 1.0.
    Hyperion got rocked by VHs 2.0/Rhys.
    Jakobs has a Zombie problem.
    Eridian... well.. yeah.
    Bandit is Bandit. Even in space.
    S&S fell of the face of the planet.

This leaves
    Maliwan, Tediore, Vladof, and to a lesser extent Pangolin and Anshin.

Also EXPLOSIONS~!! Torgue, but I'm not sure things are looking good for them.

I wonder if that's something any theoretical sequel (BL3 or otherwise) will touch on.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Regarding team choices:
    Is it actually possible to screw up enough that you can't get a full team?
    Going by the descriptions, you can:
    Not tell anyone you're a Vault Hunter, so no Zer0.
    Not defend Cassius, so he's not there.
    Kill off Felix and spend money, so no him or Mystery Hunter.
    Which leaves Athena, Springs and August. Do they always find a reason to join you?

Also, I tried as unprofessional a team as possible (Springs, Cassius and Mystery Hunter).
    I love Claptraps contribution at the start of the fight. Athena throws her shield at the Travellers legs, August just keeps shooting at it, Zer0 does some Colossus climbing stuff as you'd expect, and Claptrap... drives past and fires a single shot from his pistol. Money well spent, there.

They really expected everyone to have Athena in the team, didn't they? Not only does Rhys mention her as a possible pilot even if she isn't there, but, my Athena-less team still had her visible in the background of some of the group shots at the end.

End stats show her at 97% or something, so I doubt many people will notice.
    From what I've seen, the game will always work it so you have a full team. If you don't do whatever it was that got Athena on your side, she'll simply join for another reason. August seems to be a definite option too. Not sure who the third is. Maybe Zero?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Regarding team choices:
    Which leaves Athena, Springs and August. Do they always find a reason to join you?

Also, I tried as unprofessional a team as possible (Springs, Cassius and Mystery Hunter).
    I love Claptraps contribution at the start of the fight. Athena throws her shield at the Travellers legs, August just keeps shooting at it, Zer0 does some Colossus climbing stuff as you'd expect, and Claptrap... drives past and fires a single shot from his pistol. Money well spent, there.

They really expected everyone to have Athena in the team, didn't they? Not only does Rhys mention her as a possible pilot even if she isn't there, but, my Athena-less team still had her visible in the background of some of the group shots at the end.

From what I've seen, the game will always work it so you have a full team. If you don't do whatever it was that got Athena on your side, she'll simply join for another reason. August seems to be a definite option too. Not sure who the third is. Maybe Zero?
    Pretty sure it's Janey. Has anyone not launched Scooters satellite ad? If they haven't and she still joins, I'm comfortable saying she's always available.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Regarding team choices:

Pretty sure it's Janey. Has anyone not launched Scooters satellite ad? If they haven't and she still joins, I'm comfortable saying she's always available.
    I didn't launch it. Figured I'd try and launch it on the way back, but... we'll, y'know. That didn't work out.
    Anyway, to answer the actual question, she is not available to join you if you don't.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Regarding team choices:

I didn't launch it. Figured I'd try and launch it on the way back, but... we'll, y'know. That didn't work out.
    Anyway, to answer the actual question, she is not available to join you if you don't.
    Okay, so that's four people I can potentially get to not help me.
    I'm going to have to replay and see how few allies I can end up with.

• Options
    xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    I've started playing the first BL for the first time. Man, it's tough going back after finishing 2, but I figured it'd be even tougher hitting TPS beforehand as well, so thought I'd finish it before hitting that up. So many little interface tweaks are needed (like WHY DO I HAVE TO CONFIRM SELLING EACH AND EVERY GUN?!?!?!?), also the story and characters just aren't as fleshed out. But all that is to be expected really, and the gameplay is still a lot of fun. Plus it's cool seeing how the characters started out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Regarding team choices:

Okay, so that's four people I can potentially get to not help me.
    I'm going to have to replay and see how few allies I can end up with.

The following hypothesis is based solely on my suspicions and a general sense of "Well, this is how I would've done it if I'd designed the game".
    I wouldn't be surprised if the game tweaks it so you'll have at least three allies available.

Because Felix, Zer0, Cassius and ~The Mystery Hunter~ are all either easy to miss (or dead) and/or not that important to the overall plot, I'm betting the game will always fudge things so that you'll have at least Athena, August and probably Janey available.

But if you do have some of the four less-likely team members unlocked, the game will let you miss out on the 'guaranteed' three.

Of course, if the game somehow does allow you to get locked out of everyone... well, I just don't know how it'll work its way around that.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    The Mystery Vault Hunter..

Hahahahaha......YES.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Chapter 4 kinda shocked me for having the balls to do it.
    They killed Scooter! He went out the way he wanted though. CATCH A RIIIIDE!!!!

Seriously. I didn't expect that. On to chapter 5 later tonight.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Chapter 4 kinda shocked me for having the balls to do it.
    They killed Scooter! He went out the way he wanted though. CATCH A RIIIIDE!!!!

Seriously. I didn't expect that. On to chapter 5 later tonight.
    It's like The Highlander. He was screwed the minute Janey landed on Pandora. It was either that or he let her cut his head off.

"THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!"

In all seriousness, I'm guessing he's actually fine. Probably show up in a new season or BL3 dramatically. I think part of me just doesn't buy that they would do this in a spinoff.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Holy shit...episode 5. Man this was just a fun ride.

For my posse...
    Went with Athena, Janey, and Zero. Made the Voltron Moment all the better I think. Especially when Zero does the thing and then Rhys freaks out cause he did the THING!

Probably the best TT game to date. Just lovely story and some of your choices felt they had more weight than other games they've done. Only thing that bugged the LIVING HELL OUT OF ME was...
    What was wrong with Zero's voice in Episode 5. Its like they forgot how to mix his voice and it just came out weird and alien.

This is pretty up there with my game of the year candidate. But I'm a Borderlands mark so its with a grain of salt.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    man, i'm gonna have to find some time. the last 5 pages are full of spoiler tags about stuff i own but haven't had time to play!

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I finished my second playthrough with Gaige, on TVHM. Now i have level 51 after finishing nearly all side quests and Captain Scarlet DLC. Should i now play other DLCs on TVHM, even though i will get less exp from them, or should i jump to UVHM?

Asthariel on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Play the DLCs now, because it's the only time you'll really be properly leveled for them. UVHM will always be properly leveled to the player, so it can wait.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Just finished episode 5 of Tales. So fucking good! Gonna be in my GOTY top 10 for sure. Telltale's servers are fucked right now I guess... cant see my episode 5 stats :(

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    TPS got a patch today.
    The following list contains once-live hot-fixes that have been made permanent in the game.

Permanent Hot-Fix to fix a progression blocker that occurred when saving and quitting before uploading the H-Source during the mission “System Shutdown” in Deck 13 ½.
    Permanent Hot-Fix to fix kickoff dialog not playing for "Eradicate!".
    Permanent Hot-Fix to prevent Belly from being killed when Red dies.
    Permanent Hot-Fix to fix Cult of the Vault Symbol not displaying correctly for clients in Concordia.
    Permanent Hot-Fix to fix Cult of the Vault Symbols not displaying correctly for clients in Crisis Scar.
    Permanent Hot-Fix to add footstep audio to Janey in Serenity's Waste.
    Permanent Hot-Fix to change collision on some scav components to prevent erratic ragdolling.
    Permanent Hot-Fixes to set emitters to replicate on DAHL teleport spawn styles.
    Permanent Hot-Fixes to prevent the grinder from becoming non-functional if it is used immediately after closing it.
    Permanent Hot-Fixes to prevent the trash compactor from having its kill target changed.
    Permanent Hot-Fix to adjust the location of the socket used by "Compound Interest" on Shuggurath enemies.
    Permanent Hot-Fixes to prevent DAHL combat training missions from being marked as plot missions.
    Permanent Hot-Fix to prevent Roland from emoting while running during "Home Sweet Home".
    Permanent Hot-Fix to ensure that mission critical Kraggons spawn during "Lost Legion Invasion".
    Permanent Hot-Fix particle effect optimization.
    Permanent Hot-Fixes to fix mission dependency on Lunar Lunching Station fast travel station.
    Permanent Hot-Fixes to fix Cult of the Vault symbols not displaying correctly for clients.
    Permanent Hot-Fixes to prevent portrait from displaying for Customs Trap when non-ECHO dialog plays.
    Permanent Hot-Fix to ensure "Space Slam"’ rocket launcher reward is always available.
    Permanent Hot-Fix to apply performance optimization for a particle used by the Storm Front grenade.
    Permanent Hot-Fix to fix ECHO log Merciless Killing Machine Part 4 dialog not playing as an ECHO.
    Permanent Hot-Fix to fix clients not seeing the shipping container after failing "To The Moon".
    Permanent Hot-Fix to fix Hyperventilator Ozkits showing incorrect comparison arrows.
    Permanent Hot-Fixes to fix Vladof sniper rifles reload sound not being attenuated.
    Permanent Hot-Fix to fix the UI rotation of the Lawbringer's Chronicler of Elpis class mod.
    Permanent Hot-Fix to fix skill Bottled Courage so that it works correctly with class mods that modify consumption rate.
    Permanent Hot-Fix to prevent Epicenter skill from throwing around boss Kraggons.
    Permanent Hot-Fixes to prevent Athena skills from ceasing to function after entering and then exiting a vehicle.
    Permanent Hot-Fixes to prevent client Jacks from being refunded more than 100% of cooldown duration when recalling Expendable Assets.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Borderlands 2, too. Apparently including Maya buffs.

Three years later, thank you. For that.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    What's up with the timing of this patch?

• Options
    Borderlands 2, too. Apparently including Maya buffs.

Three years later, thank you. For that.
    I don't suppose this will make my fleet/rough rider build not incredibly stupid

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Maya needed buffs? She is who I played in BL2, and I thought she was fantastic.

• Options
    Compared to Salvadore or Kreig. Everyone needs buffs. Especially when it comes to how they approach Raid mobs. Maya had probably the least useful set of talents for handling the raid mobs. Kreig had Release the Beast and Bloodsplosions. Salvadore with Grog Nozzle, Norfleet, and a Top Tier Sham is a walking nuke. Zero's ability is great for healing and marked for death before going back in with a Love Thumper.

• Options
    Maya can be built to be pretty effective, but you need to navigate around broken and obsolete skills to do so. Large swaths of the harmony and cataclysm trees are out and out bad.

She's also a bad raid boss character, but I'm not sure they can buff her to make that not the case. It's a basic flaw with how her action skill works.

Axton could also use a buff, in all honesty. But I don't think enough people complained for him.

• Options
    I wouldn't mind it if Our Lady of Chrome got some of these updates as well. There's still a bunch of talents that are traps or just don't work.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    A little disappointed that they seem to have fixed the infinite ammo glitch in 2. I kinda enjoyed turning Gaige into a totally unstoppable ball of anarchic destruction.
    I mean, she still is one, but less than she was. I can't just fill an entire area with bullets anymore.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Episode 5 of Tales was excellent, seriously. They had a pretty smart way of bringing back previous choices that you may have assumed didn't matter by this point. I'm gonna post this in both TT and Borderlands threads, as neither are super active and I've love to chat it up about things. Now the spoiler thoughts and questions:
    -So how does a hostile loaderbot (if you tell him to blow up in episode 1) work out for the finale stuff? Is he angry but still helpful to Rhys the whole time?
    -So Athena confirmed not killed in The Pre-Sequel. Did we already know about this (I have not beaten TPS yet)? I'm glad of course, she's real cool.
    -How does siding with Jack the whole series go for the finale? Does he basically turn on you (I have to kill you for this to work, sorry bud) right at the start and then it goes the same way?
    -Can you screw up the Rhys x Sasha throughout the series or do you have to finally just deny it at the end of the game? I mean, I was shipping them HARD the entire time, but I'm curious if people who weren't holding the Olympic Torch for that ship saw everything the same way.
    -How does a team with Athena and Cassius work? Wouldn't she just try to kill him immediately?
    -So Loaderbot survived because he was lucky... and a robot, fine. But how did douche henchman #2 survive?! Did he just find another escape pod luckily? Despite the opening song showing how unlikely that would be?
    -Valerie's death didn't satisfy. She was an annoying "oh look at how extreme and cool this person is" type character that came out of nowhere for me (is she in another BDL game?) and then she just exits the story unceremoniously. Like... why even bother to register the choice for "did you allow her to help you up"? What a bullshit stat that was (and always seemed to be).

And finally, a category for how well the whole "flash forward" thing worked. Honestly... not super well? So in my game at least, the hostility Rhys shows to Fiona makes some sense, but her return hostility didn't really at all. They tried to justify it by the Jack thing, but it doesn't really wash by the way they're acting towards each other in the beginning of Episode 5. Further, the Stranger person has reason to be mad at Fiona, but again, no particular reason to be actively angry at Rhys specifically. The reason the Stranger is mad doesn't apply equally to both characters! I guess you could say the Stranger was just mad generally, but it feels like a false trail that doesn't match all choices equally well.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Finished up Tales recently and I think I can answer some of them.
    -Loaderbot seems to vent a lot of his frustration towards Rhys for blowing him up in Episode 2 and a bit in Episode 3. He'll toss Rhys instead of setting him down and give him shit but in the end he sees them as all his friends for the adventure they went through.
    -Yeah, Athena survives but it's still worth seeing how that goes down in TPS. I won't spoil it.
    -I sided with Jack quite a bit (told Vaugh about Jack but didn't tell Sasha and Fiona, uploaded him to Hyperion in his office) but he still wants to turn you into a meat puppet and so Rhys just decides he's a psycho and turns on him.
    -Rhys did have some amount of romantic overtures in my playthrough though so not sure if that could change things. I think the final conversation with Fiona and Rhys decides how the Sasha and Rhys relationship ends up. I guess because I didn't outright reject it as Fiona ("You're no August) I had blessed it while with Rhys I went a bit more nebulous (We'll see how things work out) making it "not sure." I thought while Rhys definitely would have liked it, his awkwardness and habits might not have jived with Sasha so well especially when he started rebuilding Atlas.
    -No idea on Athena and Cassius, probably set it aside for the common good? Might be the path of forgiveness for trying to spare his life and she trying to move past her hatred for an otherwise dead (but now reborn) company.
    -The Borderlands series is full of unlikely if not impossible survivals. Hell I doubt few people on Pandora could actually live if we were being realistic so I was willing to suspend my disbelief. Though they may have just wanted to reuse a character instead of introducing someone new/a nobody.
    -Vallory's demise felt like a nod to the original Borderland of someone rushing to open a Vault but finding they are no way prepared for it. Still it would have been nice to take her out ourselves and then that would affect recruiting August for the final team.

Feels like that last bit should be a spoiler too
    I played mine with both Fiona and Rhys as snarky and mistrustful that weren't afraid of callousness and backstabbing so it made sense for mine. Arguably even if they were friendly they may have drifted apart before The Stranger brings them back together. The Stranger wanted them to keep Gortys safe and they failed if not outright "killed" her, so it felt like a betrayal but decided instead of immediate vengeance that it would uncover the truth first, still seeing them as its friends. To understand the full story also involves Rhys, especially with the stuff with Handsome Jack.

Hopefully makes sense, I'm rather tired.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Played the first Borderlands but got bored mid-way through and stopped.

Then Claptrap showed up (and was great) in Telltale's Poker Night 2, and Telltale also did the Tales game, obviously. I'm a big Telltale fan, So I got 2 for cheap and I'm making myself play through it before Tales.

Ho-lee crap, this game is so much better than the first. Mainly because it actually feels populated with people that would rather talk than shoot. I'm having a ball going through and embracing the crazy (just got to Sanctuary).

Couple questions, though -- is there any worthwhile funny in the Claptrap Revolution DLC worth YouTubing?

And do I need to know anything about Random FMV Chick that keeps projecting things into my character's brain?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Then Claptrap showed up (and was great) in Telltale's Poker Night 2, and Telltale also did the Tales game, obviously. I'm a big Telltale fan, So I got 2 for cheap and I'm making myself play through it before Tales.

Ho-lee crap, this game is so much better than the first. Mainly because it actually feels populated with people that would rather talk than shoot. I'm having a ball going through and embracing the crazy (just got to Sanctuary).

Couple questions, though -- is there any worthwhile funny in the Claptrap Revolution DLC worth YouTubing?

And do I need to know anything about Random FMV Chick that keeps projecting things into my character's brain?

Re: Claptrap
    Robot Revolution is not great. I think the only through line is that you encounter a bridge in 2 that is named after the antagonist there.

Re: FMV lady
    You get no answers about her (that I remember) throughout Borderlands 1.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

There is that one thing in the ending.
    It shows her operating through a Hyperion satellite with 'angel' written on the side in leet. So you're supposed to know her corporate allegiance, at least.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

I didn't play the Claptrap DLC but I'm sure there are funnies to be had.

Concerning the FMV Chick, all will be explained in time. But the stuff you missed out on from Borderlands 1
    she ends up guiding you all the way to the Vault and apologizing that she tricked you there to defeat the monster with the promise of finding riches.

We are then showed this picture shortly before the credits roll.

Karoz on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »

There is that one thing in the ending.
    It shows her operating through a Hyperion satellite with 'angel' written on the side in leet. So you're supposed to know her corporate allegiance, at least.

Oh, it's been a while. I couldn't remember if that was the end of 1 or the beginning of 2.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Hee hee hee! (Early Borderlands 2 spoiler)
    "bonerfart."

That's my kinda great eighth-grader humor.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hee hee hee! (Early Borderlands 2 spoiler)
    "bonerfart."

That's my kinda great eighth-grader humor.

I love that quest.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The best part is that the little ones get renamed to "Bonertoots"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Can you leave that quest there, and they stay renamed for the rest of the game?

• Options
    Can you leave that quest there, and they stay renamed for the rest of the game?
    Probably, though you'd have to make sure you don't accidentally kill enough Bonerfarts to complete the objective that sets them back to Bullymongs.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I just started a tvhm run in the pre-sequel for the first time, and the voice over changes are awesome. I love story time!

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Got a hankering for some Borderlands and remembered I bought the Handsome Collection.

Nisha is really fun but I'm having a hard time figuring out how heavily I want to focus on revolvers.

On one hand they're cool. On the other I hate that most (all?) are non-elemental.

• Options
    You actually do find plenty of elemental pistols later on, she just doesn't do a whole lot for elemental damage in her skills so you're basically golf-bagging to them for specific enemies. And some of her skills actually key off non-elemental guns.

Don't forget shotguns are totally a thing with her.

persona4celestia.jpg
This discussion has been closed.