As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Borderlands 2] Pre-Sequel lands on the goddamn moon. Now with Improved Drop Rates!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'd actually argue that Lilith is faster than Maya though. Like sure, Maya is fast all the time (or can be, depending on build), but Lilith felt like a bullet when she was Phasewalking.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    What are the recommended COMs for leveling Wilhelm? Too many have First To Fight.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    As I'm playing through, I'm of the thought that TPS didn't need the post-BL2 framework for the story.

Also
    I get that the main story is about how Good Guy Jack becomes Handsome Jack, but the 1 side-mission I've done for him is straight Handsome Jack reacting to it, nothing else.

sig.gif
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    As I'm playing through, I'm of the thought that TPS didn't need the post-BL2 framework for the story.

Also
    I get that the main story is about how Good Guy Jack becomes Handsome Jack, but the 1 side-mission I've done for him is straight Handsome Jack reacting to it, nothing else.
    i don't think he was ever really 'good guy jack,' myself, i think he was more 'proto-asshole who hasn't yet encountered the rush of killing people yet Jack,' it might be that the BL2 colours my perceptions some, but he seems like a petty-scheming douche-nozzle from pretty early on in tPS

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

Also
    i don't think he was ever really 'good guy jack,' myself, i think he was more 'proto-asshole who hasn't yet encountered the rush of killing people yet Jack,' it might be that the BL2 colours my perceptions some, but he seems like a petty-scheming douche-nozzle from pretty early on in tPS
    ...Well, yeah, he's a Hyperion employee.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I think it would have been better if Jack didn't hand out sidequests, and only did the main stuff.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Do you need to install the compatibility pack to redeem the special skins from SHIFT codes?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

Also
    ...Well, yeah, he's a Hyperion employee.
    He's basically incapable of recognizing his own faults. Everything that he does gets rationalized as being for the greater good, even if the decision is selfish or irrational. Since he doesn't understand that his mistakes are mistakes, he's unable to learn from them or even to stop them when they're in progress.

TPS is basically him building up layers of delusion until he's unable to function as anything other than a supervillain.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    So in case anyone else is getting into TPS recently, like I am, or just wants to "catch up" on gear, here's the link for TPS' Shift Codes.

Picked up 212 keys, a years' worth of holiday skins/heads for all the characters, 2 shotguns, an AR, and a sniper rifle.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    (Claptrap DLC in TPS)

Good lord the
    5H4D0W-TP/EOS fight is pure, unmitigated bullshit.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    should I get this for PS4? I don't play my 360 much anymore.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    (Claptrap DLC in TPS)

Good lord the
    Yeah, EOS felt like it could've been one of those optional raid bosses, but they didn't have a good place to stick it so they stuck it at the end of the story.

Like, yeah, it's awesome that it has a guaranteed chance to drop a leggo, but it sucks that people who are just going for story completion have to suffer through it. Heck, could've given us a gimped version for the story quest fight, and then put the real one in there if you ever come back to it.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    PMAvers wrote: »
    (Claptrap DLC in TPS)

Good lord the
    Yeah, EOS felt like it could've been one of those optional raid bosses, but they didn't have a good place to stick it so they stuck it at the end of the story.

Like, yeah, it's awesome that it has a guaranteed chance to drop a leggo, but it sucks that people who are just going for story completion have to suffer through it. Heck, could've given us a gimped version for the story quest fight, and then put the real one in there if you ever come back to it.
    5H4D0W-TP was kind of fun in a hectic and flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of way, so when it was defeated, I was happy that I made it through and glad to be done.

Then EOS started, and I spent the next however long almost dying and trading complaints with my co-op buddy. That should absolutely been an optional raid boss or something. Fuck ever doing that again, even for farming.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, the final boss of the TPS DLC is a fucking pain.
    EOS was so far away I don't think my rockets actually hit it.

I just used my sniper rifle and pinged shots at the big glowy eye thing.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i can farm the final boss of the claptrap DLC with jack, which demonstrates just how fucking strong he is

wasn't even able to clear it with athena and athena is really good.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I solo'd it with Athena but on normal.

Wasn't really worth the effort to be honest.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, I'm running Athena, and my buddy was running Aurelia. Final Boss was an absolute chore.

Also
    The post credit scene would've worked a lot better if Borderlands 2 didn't already exist. Because they obviously do nothing with that idea.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    So many keys wasted on purple pistols. :(

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    So many keys wasted on purple pistols. :(
    Ah yes, the truest Borderlands experience of them all.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Lost Legion Officers moonwalk. Cool!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Man, I really want a poster with "my" versions of the Vault Hunters posing like they do on the main menu screen.

Also, Claptrap as a playable character suuuuuucks.

sig.gif
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Sounds like someone needs a high five!

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Gonna start Claptastic voyage. Ideally after the main game, right?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Yup.

sig.gif
  • Options

Definitely. Story-wise it takes place afterwards.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Yeah, it's a direct sequel, more so than the DLCs from previous games.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    It also has it's own TVHM/UVHM dialogue, so if you want the """"serious"""" storyline do it on playthrough 1.

• Options
    Shucks, two of my characters are overleveled for the first part.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Overleveled is fine for the DLC; it scales up to 40, but you'll not actually top 39 without grinding away.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Interesting bit of timeline stuff:

I was at Moxxi's Up Over and like in many places, there's a spot where there's a shitload of posters. Most of these are irrelevant, but there's two that are partially covered up; Maya and Axton's Wanted posters. Maya's is obvious because it says has her name/reward (which is how you know it's there), but Axton's is the top third or so where it's just his obscured haircut.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Man, those boss fights were stupid. But I got lucky and got a Thunderfire for Athena.

Sparks!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    A bunch of super high level info about Borderlands 3 ("that might not be called that") from Randy Pitchford at PAX East:

BEWARE: Super big Tales From the Borderlands spoiler just hanging out in the middle of the article.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/borderlands-3-teased-might-not-be-called-that/1100-6439116/?utm_source=daily_updates_registered&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Borderlands

I think Mikey Neumann's got some chops, but given a choice I would definitely have picked Anthony Burch to write game 3. I hope he'll still be involved in some way.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    I'd prefer Neumann over Burch, but if Burch was involved, I wouldn't have a problem with it. BL2 is my favorite in the franchise, which Burch was lead on, but it did tend to go a little too heavy on the absurd, plus all the references to other stuff did get old after a while.

A game in the universe that's closer in tone to the first game would be appreciated.

sig.gif
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Oh, flash sales... i have most all the BL stuffs on Steam already, but i was drunk, and pretty tired, and had some cashes in the US psn account's wallet...

So, yeah, i've got the Handsome Collection now. It looks and plays so much better than on my piddly little laptop. Started up a run in Pre-Sequel with the Doppelganger (wish i could port over my pc data and streamline things abit, but such is life). Only up to the Moonshot cannon part of the intro, but the interactions with real-Jack are definitely a hoot.

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    So, about those improved drop rates in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!...
    UWUB4Hp.jpg

Gear:
    Weapon 1 - Thunderfire. Despair in Claptrap DLC, second try.
    Weapon 2 - Rustler's Moonface. Quest Reward.
    Weapon 3 - All-in Cheat Code. Quest Reward.
    Weapon 4 - Heap'd Badaboom. Grinder, second try.
    Shield - Black Hole. Raid version of the final boss, first try.
    Class Mod - Celestial Gladiator. A friend actually hooked me up with this so it doesn't count, but whatever.
    Grenade Mod - Stormfront. A goddamned red chest behind RedBelly.
    Oz Kit - 3DD1.E. The Dr. Who mission, first try.

Hilariously, most (felt like 90%) of the time the Red Chests were all greens, but when they weren't, there probably was an Orange in there. Or it was one of those "All Cash/Moonstone" ones. So those got passed around with the people I was playing with or Stashed for another character.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    An article on Overwatch's character design. More interestingly, it comes from lead writer of Borderlands 2, Anthony Burch.
    Additionally -- and this is a great strength of Overwatch's writing across the board, not just within its more stereotypical characters -- the dialog is not annoying. Characters don't really make capital-J Jokes, and they don't say anything particularly bizarre that would draw your attention more than it ought to. Battle dialog, especially battle dialog in multiplayer games, needs to be frictionless. It needs to convey information, do so concisely, and, above all, not be fucking annoying.

I'm probably more guilty of this last sin than anyone. Much of the battle dialog in Borderlands 2 is filled with capital-G Goofz, which can make it extremely irritating when you hear the same line twice. My bad.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Being Self-aware is the first step on the path of Self-improvement.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Is he the same one who apologized for basically making them silent protagonists? If so, he's at least dedicated to acknowledging his mistakes.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Is he the same one who apologized for basically making them silent protagonists? If so, he's at least dedicated to acknowledging his mistakes.
    Yup. He's also on record as saying "Every time I think I wrote the game well, I remember I killed the one black dude and kidnapped the girl."

sig.gif
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Unfortunately Anthony Burch doesn't work for Gearbox anymore so we have to hope that their current writing staff is just as self aware as he is.

This discussion has been closed.