As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] This time it's still about painting miniatures

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Hello painting thread! How are you?

Me? Feeling a bit overwhelmed. I've been considering getting back into model miniature building and painting, not for any particular game, but just to build some nice models. I used to do it a lot as a kid, but I would always kind of half arse it, being a kid. I've decided that if I get back into it I'm going to go big or go home, so on that front I've been looking into airbrushes. And oh man, this is a whole world I know nothing about.

My research is making it seem like I'd want, as a beginner, a gravity feed, dual action, internal mix airbrush from a company like badger, paasche or iwata? But it's hard to know, when you know as little as I do, if my research is even good research.

If it is helpful for giving me some advice, I've been eyeing things like Maschinen Krieger, and would like to make stuff that looks like:

hsg64108_1.jpg?v=1417424053

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Right you're spot on with the brush. I use a Patriot 105. It suits me fine for what I use it for. Which is mostly basecoating and laying down some basic colours and highlights. Its got a largish needle so I find it pretty forgiving in terms of not clogging and such. Easy to clean and not too expensive. I'm in the UK and I ended up ordering it from amazon US for less than I could get it for locally. Really brushes go from reasonable to holy shit price wise. So go with what your budget allows. The shitty knockoff brands are exactly that for the most part.

I think you'll find almost everyone here uses the same sort of compressor. This thing ( probably attatched to a tank ), even some of those metal boxes with a brand name have this contraption inside them.

as18.jpg

Now it comes in various kits and with or without a tank. Branded with all sorts of names, but it's all the same kit. The one I purchased came with a hose, and I needed a thread adaptor from amazon to fit my brush to it. Was like a quid.

So tank or no tank? With a tank you'll find the pressure is more consistent rather than pulsing. Also less noisy as it won't be running all the time, but for my purposes, I've had no problems. The doodad on the front is your pressure regulator and moisture trap. You'll be adjusting pressure depending on your paint and how close you work, and on that note, every paint will have its own nuances for shooting including what you can or can't thin it with. Though each brand will mostly act similar.

As for painting that super cool model. Your probably going to lay down the basecoat and then the camo with the airbrush, then come in with the regular paintbrushes to finish up and apply your weathering. I'm new to the scale model side myself and its really a whole new game compared to a 28mm miniature. Ive been spending a fair bit of time reading on scale model forms like Armorama, they have lots of people posting in depth project logs.

So hopefully that gives you some food for thought.

J on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2015
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My research is making it seem like I'd want, as a beginner, a gravity feed, dual action, internal mix airbrush from a company like badger, paasche or iwata? But it's hard to know, when you know as little as I do, if my research is even good research.

Yeah, double-action gravity feed is what you want for painting on this scale. I have a Badger 105 Patriot, and it serves me well enough as an airbrush to learn with and it's decently priced too.

As for compressors, a bunch of people in the thread have an AS-186 with an air tank. You want a tank both as a tank for storing air so the compressor isn't running constantly, and also as a buffer between the airbrush and the actual air compressor so you don't get pulses in the air.

Gravity feed is better due to the paint volumes you'll be using - siphon feed airbrushes require a whole lot more paint in the container, gravity feed lets you use just a couple of drops of paint, and also use all of it - siphon feed airbrushes will always leave some paint in the container that the hose can't reach.

edit: You can probably get a Badger 105 + AS-186 compressor plus an appropriate hose for under 200 dollars.

Echo on
    As J mentioned, lots of people have this compressor with various brands slapped on it, but the model name seems to be AS-186. Also note that J's pic is just the compressor without the tank. With the tank it looks something like this.

eywh2nilrzx0.jpg

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    m1241265_99060103101_BigMekforcemain_873x627_enl.jpg

Shot in the dark here, but I want a to paint my Orks with a little bit more blue in their green, like the above. Years ago, I could find painting tutorials for this, but not anymore. Anyone got any tips?

• PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Tried painting my first infinity model over the weekend. Gonig to take some getting used to.

1) Never painted sci fi before.
    2) Never painted 28mm Non Heroic scale before.

Here was the result anyway.

11134398_10153305897019756_1440420721_n.jpg

edit: hmm, doesnt really show much...which might be a good thing. But will try and get a better picture.

Prime on
  • BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    m1241265_99060103101_BigMekforcemain_873x627_enl.jpg

Shot in the dark here, but I want a to paint my Orks with a little bit more blue in their green, like the above. Years ago, I could find painting tutorials for this, but not anymore. Anyone got any tips?

Teals are blues with green (or greens with blues). For GW paints you should look at colors like Incubi Darkness and Sotek Green. In that picture it looks like some of the highlights are straight up light blues (look at the lips) and the rest are whitish blue.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Thanks for the airbrush advice guys! I'll definitely be looking into the patriot. I already have access to an air compressor via my father, though it's a pretty heavy duty thing that we use to do things like refill the air in our car tires. It's got a tank, so as long as I set the psi low enough and get the right sort of hose I should be good, yeah?

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I've not been painting much recently but I did finish an Assault Terminator. 1 more and the Librarian to go!
    CCe-isRVEAA4aoL.jpg

I also did an objective marker, because dice ALWAYS end up getting rolled mid game
    CCe-5sFVEAAJYpr.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • LindLind Registered User regular
    Color question, on the back of the Dark Vengence box I cant help but to notice that two of the Dark Angels with bigger guns have a blue color on the guns. Anyone know what color it is?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This blue?

Warhammer-40k-Dark-Angels-Veteran-Sergeant-and-Squad.jpg

I know in P3 that would be Arcane Blue. In GW I'm guessing that's Lothern Blue.

• WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    Yeah Lothern. But really, with whatever base blue you use, steadily mix in white to hit smaller edges and you'll get a similar effect.

• LindLind Registered User regular
    Big thanks everyone.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Thanks for the airbrush advice guys! I'll definitely be looking into the patriot. I already have access to an air compressor via my father, though it's a pretty heavy duty thing that we use to do things like refill the air in our car tires. It's got a tank, so as long as I set the psi low enough and get the right sort of hose I should be good, yeah?

I would make sure you can set the pressure really low, like 10-20 PSI.

Also, I vow to paint my chaplain by next Sunday evening. You heard it here. Sunday evening I will be posting pics of my terminator chaplain, and if I don't you guys get to make extreme fun of me. I have to work through this injured finger and posting my intentions here is the easiest way I know to make sure I do it.

Besides, my Viking ancestors are probably rolling over in their Valhallan beds thinking about me wimping out for a flesh wound.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    Since I never got around to taking a better photo, here is a phone pic of the almost-finished Gracie (next to her good friend Burt), taken a few weeks ago.

udPYWQl.jpg?1

500 points of Dark Eldar assembled and primed! I'm really hating my test paint model though. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do for a color scheme anymore... I mean, the colors I picked look nice but I'm having a hell of a time getting the wash on the bone white to not look like garbage...

The plan was a cream "bone" white on the armor with very dark green helmet and a few, select pads of armor. Purple and silver for accents. But yeah, can't get a good wash on the white. All my dark greens are super runny so I can't edge highlight with them. Highlighting with light greens looks bad. It's a bit maddening.

Maybe I'll switch to silver armor and take advantage of the super runny dark green to use that as a wash on the silver? Blegh... Ideas anyone?

2nv00oji7c6u.jpg

Washes on white, and especially on flat surfaces (of which the DE have plenty) are a pain.
    For the green, maybe it needs more shaking? If it's thin enough you're considering using it as a wash something's probably gone wrong somewhere

• WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    Hm. Found this somewhere (not mine). Something like this?

XqjeEX1.jpg

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Cheat's bone white: VMC Ivory base, azimuth highlight white, oil wash yellow ochre or similar. Bam, done.
    Bonus points for using a crackle glaze over the top and adding a darker oil to bring out the lines.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    It's not strictly painting but: I was inspired by some conversations in a hobby group to create a custom Hive Tyrant specific to the Hive Fleet I've been gradually painting up. I've almost finished the modelling process.

All four upper limbs are magnetised. The lower body is fixed into a 'leaping' pose using three long pins in the hoof that go through multiple layers of cork and into the base. Sadly my sculpting skills aren't perfect, but I've done what I can with the neck. The head is a combination of Mawloc crest and Carnifex head. The tail pincer is from the Trygon/Mawloc kit. Finally, the lower sword-less arm will be fitted with a shield fashioned from multiple Carnifex carapace and green stuff (just need to do the sculpting).

Winged:
    grcrpi4zyb4i.jpg

Walking:
    ckburbs5z3e6.jpg

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    Seam lines on the Skitarii troops are a bit of a ball ache. :evil:

Also, I vow to paint my chaplain by next Sunday evening. You heard it here. Sunday evening I will be posting pics of my terminator chaplain, and if I don't you guys get to make extreme fun of me. I have to work through this injured finger and posting my intentions here is the easiest way I know to make sure I do it.

Besides, my Viking ancestors are probably rolling over in their Valhallan beds thinking about me wimping out for a flesh wound.

Started yet :p

edited April 2015
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Washes on white, and especially on flat surfaces (of which the DE have plenty) are a pain.
    For the green, maybe it needs more shaking? If it's thin enough you're considering using it as a wash something's probably gone wrong somewhere

That would be my go to answer for why it's so thin. It's hard to say though because the pigment is still really vibrant and it doesn't seem separated at all.
    Woozl wrote: »
    Hm. Found this somewhere (not mine). Something like this?
    XqjeEX1.jpg

I was actually inspired by those, @Extreaminatus' Dark Eldar and these:
    ib533bwgz5m1.jpg

I'd hate to give up on the white but I might go silver on the armor, green on the helmets and such, and then purple elsewhere. One problem with giving up on the white is that I'd be at a slight lose on what to do for vehicles.

BreakfastPM on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    It's not strictly painting but: I was inspired by some conversations in a hobby group to create a custom Hive Tyrant specific to the Hive Fleet I've been gradually painting up. I've almost finished the modelling process.

All four upper limbs are magnetised. The lower body is fixed into a 'leaping' pose using three long pins in the hoof that go through multiple layers of cork and into the base. Sadly my sculpting skills aren't perfect, but I've done what I can with the neck. The head is a combination of Mawloc crest and Carnifex head. The tail pincer is from the Trygon/Mawloc kit. Finally, the lower sword-less arm will be fitted with a shield fashioned from multiple Carnifex carapace and green stuff (just need to do the sculpting).

Winged:
    grcrpi4zyb4i.jpg

Walking:
    ckburbs5z3e6.jpg

This Tyrant is amazing!

Good work.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    J wrote: »
    Seam lines on the Skitarii troops are a bit of a ball ache. :evil:

Started yet :p

Um... sort of?

I finally finished redoing the arms on the scouts. And I'm putting those away so I can start painting tonight.

001_zpszq4lzx01.jpg

I know it's only one step, but for me, this is an accomplishment.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    One step is better than no steps. I work so slow I consider a base coated arm to be a big deal.

Also shipping notice from forgeworld. Yaaaaas. :D

Yaaaaas.

I plan to get in on a FLGS FW order here soon. I think I will get some of their brass etch number sheets, one large and one small, for my vehicles. Hmm... maybe just the large one.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    And there's the walking version finished, including the shield.

eqtdiqgwrbid.jpg

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    Very very cool

J wrote: »
    One step is better than no steps. I work so slow I consider a base coated arm to be a big deal.

Whoa now, don't leave me way behind like that

How do you guys manage to glue infinity models?

PAIN.png

Her arms are causing me no end of grief.....I've bought a 0.3mm drill set that should arrive Friday. Hoping that will be small enough to at least try and pin. I have no idea what to use for the pins though!

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    My tips on glueing small stuff: If 0.5mm is too large, discard the model and weep.

Mayday on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    That's a fig that can't be pinned, sadly

I just used Loctite and will hope for the best

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Yay....

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Clean the joint and score it with an exacto knife. Don't use too much glue. It should hold pretty easily because the limb weighs so little. If not, you might have shitty glue/glue that demands drying accelerant.

admanb on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I put together both my Kotails last week and had no issues. Compared to most other metal models, Infinty seems like a dream ...

edited April 2015
    Welp, looks like its better. This is how it looked yesterday, when I finally took the bandages off for, hopefully, the last time, and started modeling again. Only knicked my right thumb this time with the Xacto knife while working on the scouts. Lol :bigfrown:
    001_zpsp8mig7ze.jpg

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I haven't pinned a single Infinity model, and have not had any problems with bits breaking. This includes 3 TAGs, and various tiny fins on infantry sized models.

I'm quite willing to say, don't bother pinning them. Just use a good superglue.

-Loki- on
    The more I look at it and compare it to the other models the more i think my main problem is a slight miscast on the gun holding arm. I've got a few ideas to fix the issue.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Prime wrote: »
    The more I look at it and compare it to the other models the more i think my main problem is a slight miscast on the gun holding arm. I've got a few ideas to fix the issue.

Shit not fitting together properly is 50% of the reason my copy of Operation Icestorm sits on a shelf until someone takes it or I throw it out.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Prime wrote: »

Shit not fitting together properly is 50% of the reason my copy of Operation Icestorm sits on a shelf until someone takes it or I throw it out.

I mean, if you're giving it away, I'll take it off your hands ... ;D

This discussion has been closed.