As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reality is merely an [REDACTED], albeit a very [Spooky] one

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Do not acknowledge the hooded figures.

If you do acknowledge them immediately draw a figure of eight around your feet in salt.

If you have no salt then close your eyes and await your doom, running or fighting will only prolong the agony.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    The city council reminds you again not to mention or acknowledge the hooded figures.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I own a zine dedicated to uno moralez's work, and it is awesome. The guy mostly works in gif form and it is all horrifying

But super super awesome

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I don't really find it all that horrifying?

I'm mostly just incredibly impressed he does most of his illustrations using three tones - white, black and 50% grey

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    A lot of it is more weird than horrifying, but there are a few notable exceptions.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »

If you do acknowledge them immediately draw a figure of eight around your feet in salt.

If you have no salt then close your eyes and await your doom, running or fighting will only prolong the agony.

Or you can run them over.

I mean, it worked last time. Of course, that may have partially been due to the antifreeze leak.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

I mean, it worked last time. Of course, that may have partially been due to the antifreeze leak.

Oh yeah, that worked great.

Just remind me.

Where's Fred these days? Still screaming?

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Oh yeah, that worked great.

Just remind me.

Where's Fred these days? Still screaming?

Nah. Stopped a couple months back.

Still wedged in the wheel-well, though.

I really need to ditch that car. Shadow creatures in the undercarriage just play hell with the resale value.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    So I got reminded of this one yesterday:

My mom lived in Nottingham back in the 1960's. For a young girl from South Texas, living in honest-to-goodness England was like a fairy tale.

There's a picture on the wall next to her desk at home of the house she lived in at the time, she just calls it Number Nine; no street address applies since it was a sharecropper's home for a rather large estate out in the middle of the countryside.

On one of the first days of setting up their new home, my mother (aged nine at the time) was standing at the window looking outside at a quaint little fountain in the front yard and a little flower-box outside the window. She said she was planning on what kind of flowers to put in the box when she heard a sound behind her. Turning around, she saw a rather pretty local girl at the top of the stairs in a somewhat plain dress. Being the polite southern child she was, my mother greeted the young lady and smiled, the girl smiled back and held her finger to her lips as if to say, 'shhh, I have a secret!' and then the girl pointed at the flower-box.

My mother turned to inspect the box and then turned back around to ask the young woman what the secret was ... but she was gone. So, being somewhat confused, she went to inform her mother of the incident.

The entire family tore the house apart looking for this girl but there wasn't a trace of her. Eventually, the flower-box was inspected and a rotting cloth purse was found, filled with coins that were over a century old.

As matters would have it, a young girl once lived on the property in the mid-1800's who tried to elope with a young man who lived nearby; her father forbade the union and in her grief she drowned herself in the fountain in the front yard. From the amount of money stashed in the flower box, she had been saving her wages for over a year.

I always get a little sad when I think of that flower-box.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Made from steel and brass, this unusual prosthetic arm articulates in a number of ways. The elbow joint can be moved by releasing a spring, whereas the top joint of the wrist allows a degree of rotation and an up-and-down motion. The fingers can also curl up and straighten out. The leather upper arm piece is used to fix the prosthesis to the remaining upper arm. The rather sinister appearance of the hand suggests the wearer may have disguised it with a glove. Among the most common causes of amputation throughout the 1800s were injuries received as a result of warfare.

0vhhVoJ.jpg

hbWzRf3.jpg

LDCLD3y.jpg

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Made from steel and brass, this unusual prosthetic arm articulates in a number of ways. The elbow joint can be moved by releasing a spring, whereas the top joint of the wrist allows a degree of rotation and an up-and-down motion. The fingers can also curl up and straighten out. The leather upper arm piece is used to fix the prosthesis to the remaining upper arm. The rather sinister appearance of the hand suggests the wearer may have disguised it with a glove. Among the most common causes of amputation throughout the 1800s were injuries received as a result of warfare.

0vhhVoJ.jpg

hbWzRf3.jpg

LDCLD3y.jpg

You know, if you could get modern motors and sensors in there, and I had to get a mechanical arm, I'd love one that looked like that.

Straight up Metal Gear villain level sinister.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

These links may be spooky but with the exception of the UFO incident they're not really paranormal

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    or are they

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    @Metzger Meister
    ALSO, me and a buddy totally saw a UFO once and THAT. SHIT. WAS. BANAYNAYS.

Story? :D

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

These links may be spooky but with the exception of the UFO incident they're not really paranormal

the lead masks case could probably be!
    Calica wrote: »
    @Metzger Meister
    ALSO, me and a buddy totally saw a UFO once and THAT. SHIT. WAS. BANAYNAYS.

Story? :D

Okay, so, this was when I was living in the Seattle area, more specifically Renton.

This sighting occurred in late August of 2013.

I was out on the back patio, smoking a cigarette, and there was light low cloud cover, and it was a very humid, but pleasant, evening. This was probably around eight or nine pm.

At this point I'd been living in the area long enough to be very familiar with the near-constant commercial air-traffic in the area, and having grown up near one of the nation's larger Air Force bases (FE Warren in Cheyenne, WY) I was already pretty familiar with all types of aircraft, especially since my grandfather was a naval aviator and had taught me all sorts of stuff about planes.

So, as I'm standing there enjoying my nico-treat, I happen to look up and see this orange, pulsing ball of light, low in the clouds and dipping out of cover from time to time. At first I just assumed what I was seeing was a commercial air-liner with it's landing lights on, but then I noticed how slowly the object was moving. I immediately felt really odd. I don't know how else to describe it other than a "weird", ominous feeling, like a knot in my stomach. My mom and grandma had always told me as a kid, if something or someone makes you feel uncomfortable or weird, trust your instincts, so I called inside to my friend (we'll call him Connor for the sake of anonymity.)

Connor, assuming that I'd found a neat bug for us to look at (of which there are plenty in that part of the country), comes outside and freezes as soon as he looks up.

Me: "Do you see that too?"

C: "Y-yeah... what is it?"

Me: "I'm not sure, man..."

The object, which appeared to be extremely large and spherical and seemed to be made of panels of glass which were at least semi-translucent, was moving from a generally north-eastern direction, towards the south, and it paused very briefly before continuing it's slow cruise. Given how close the highway was I couldn't make out any engine sounds or anything in the back-ground noise of the city.

My friend and I stared at whatever it was for a good ten to fifteen minutes before it basically just kind of disappeared. I had the impression at the time that it accelerated upwards through the cloud-cover.

I am absolutely certain that this wasn't any kind of commercial aircraft. My friend agreed with me and also said during the event that he "felt weird", and we both admitted later that we were sort of frightened. It was one of those things that you just can't look away from.

• Options
    edited February 2014

I think probably is a strong word
    probably two dudes went to a field and OD'd on any number of things

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Metzger, that was just a Wonkavator. You should be fine as long as you don't eat any suspicious candy (especially of the stolen variety) and don't make deals with strange men in black suits and bowler hats.

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    Metzger, that was just a Wonkavator. You should be fine as long as you don't eat any suspicious candy (especially of the stolen variety) and don't make deals with strange men in black suits and bowler hats.

it's cool though, that guy was just his assistant!

• Options

I think probably is a strong word
    probably two dudes went to a field and OD'd on any number of things

Two guys who were part of a group known to take psychedelic drugs in order to have spiritual experiences.

So did two dudes take a bunch of acid and hallucinate a way to contact aliens then go out in a field and OD

or did ghosts/aliens happen

• Options
    most hallucinogens are ABSURDLY difficult to od on

• Options
    who says they OD'd on hallucinogens?

the note they left said "swallow capsules, wait for effect"

They could have easily thought they had to die to meet god and taken any kind of drug

• Options
    most hallucinogens are ABSURDLY difficult to od on

still more likely than ghosts or aliens

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Re-reading "John Dies at the End" and fuck is it the perfect level of fucked up.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
  • Options
    house millipedes are probably the scariest bugs

but

aXx7g7t.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Yesterday I found a tag on the SCP

Thaumiel

Only four articles, but four seriously deep, balanced and mind bending articles. 2000 in particular starts out seeming like the ultimate Deus Ex Machina, but ends up leaving you thoroughly skeeved.

#pipe on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    sounds handy though

• Options
    Oh man
    2000 is pretty good

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular

You can buy a bit of time by holding up your fist and initiating a fist bump saying "sup bro"

Move slowly backwards while keeping your fist up and

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Man, there is something about the stick figures created by the Kinect motion capture software that really creeps me out. They've actually been using it on Ghost Adventures and gotten some weird stuff to show up. I don't care if it counts valid evidence or anything (mainly because I don't know much about the Kinect), but every time a stick figure pops up it freaks me right the hell out.

This video is way stupidly edited but you can see what I'm talking about at 0:33 and 1:09.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn36WzTk8co

• Options
    About the only clever thing in Paranormal Activity 4 was when the Kinect starts picking up the thing as it walks around the living room

• Options
    did anyone watch Ghost Adventures yesterday

Nick had two entities zipping around him and climbing the walls that they were picking up on the Kinect

at least someone finally found a use for that thing

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Xehalus wrote: »
    did anyone watch Ghost Adventures yesterday

Nick had two entities zipping around him and climbing the walls that they were picking up on the Kinect

at least someone finally found a use for that thing

Yeah, last night's episode is what compelled me to post a video of them using the Kinect. It was super spooky, made my skin crawl. Like it was just picking up a bunch of random stuff on the ground and then bam, there's a full on figure being picked up on the Kinect crawling up the dude.

jgeis on
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    Oh man
    2000 is pretty good

They're in the 2000s now? Damnit

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Man, I was gonna write up an scp at some point. Signed up and participated in the community and tried to learn all I could about writing a good article.

Then I just kinda stopped and dropped it. Still got the notes, I just need the gumption to plunge back in, I guess.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Oh my gosh, there is a spooky thread. I love spooky stories. The portraits/windows story on the first page is great.

This Reddit thread has some pretty great ones, I've been reading my way through.

I'm a particular fan of this one:
    I was almost 16, living alone and out riding with some friends at 4 am. Wasn't the first time. Being kids, the driver was speeding. Then I heard a voice in my head: get out
    I ignored it. It got louder:
    GET OUT!
    I was having a really good time, so I continued ignoring it. Then the other passengers and the driver turned into zombies. I saw a smashed skull, a missing arm and a missing eye.
    Blood everywhere.
    That's when I freaked, and told the driver to slow down.
    Driver said 'Aint no bitch gonna tell ME what to do" and kicked me out.
    On the highway, at 4 am.
    Cell phones weren't around then.
    So, I started walking.
    Then it started raining.
    I was walking for about 30 mins, really kicking myself.
    I was soaking wet.
    Then I saw some flashing lights... and walked up to the car I was in.
    There had been a crash, everyone was dead. I caught a glimpse of one of the victims, his skull was smashed in exactly as I had seen it and an ambulance officer was picking up an amputated arm.
    A cop came up to me and said "Hey girlie, what are you doing here?"
    I said that I had argued with a boyfriend.
    Cop said he would call a cab for me.
    When the cab came, and I got in, cop said "Listen to your instincts little girl, because you have a hard life ahead".
    At least, that's what I heard.
    But I never saw him open his mouth
    And yes, I had a hard life- that was 26 years ago.
    And yes, listening to my instincts has helped me a LOT.
    TL:DR Somehow predicted car crash, got out and talked to someone who spoke without opening his mouth.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Oh man
    2000 is pretty good

Oh shit, I just read that.

That is well made.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Are you scared of swimming in the ocean, because of the possibility of sharks?

Have you considered being frightened by a complete absence of shark?
    The answer is no, but I wanted to mention this one anyway.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    There's a storm brewing outside, and it made me think of this post I made a while back which I feel might be appropriate for a spooky thread
    It's storming like a motherfucker here, and a little ways north I think a couple tornadoes have touched down
    I was hustling back from the apartment a few doors down and I happened to look up into the cloud mass as lightning flashed within

I know it was some trick of the light and varying density of clouds but for a moment it looked like a colossal solid object was passing through the cloud, and all I could see was the outline of a giant bird

Standing out there in the dark and the storm and looking up and seeing a thunderbird, it's easy to imagine yourself in the world as people used to perceive it. It was a pretty trippy feeling

This discussion has been closed.