Options

Reality is merely an [REDACTED], albeit a very [Spooky] one

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Calica wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »
    NSFW: this video contains upper-body nudity of the female sort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DOJmUaHL4&ab_channel=MathChief-Gameplay&Trailers!

I like this. It's quite creative but more importantly very claustrophobic and threatening. The whole "Everything is coated in organic" is tired but if you take it a bit further it goes back to being upsetting.

I can't tell what's supposed to be scary for most of that video. Squicky scenery is squicky, but doesn't actually seem to do much other than ooze threateningly. Pretty lights are gorgeous; I want to know more about that.

I can't watch people play Amnesia; it's too scary. I would love to watch a playthrough of this. (Not interested in playing it myself because I don't enjoy games where you're being hunted.)

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is both the scariest game I've ever played and one of my favorite games.

And there are no jump scares.

It's all just relentless crushing tension, mostly from atmosphere.

A PAer played through it on stream for the first time for charity a few years ago - CorriganX, I think. I'm not sure if his twitch still has it archived, but hilarity of his reactions offset the terror pretty well.

Ceno on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    if grudge lady wants to absorb me before I have to do dishes I am 100% on board with that

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    36V8qRJVlhCtF5--3kxF8uan4dKUsIS34D7ig2kH_8s.jpg?w=1024&s=2809a46d00191ef63703e79a30c06594

Oh, good, YOU can do the dishes. I'm out!

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    36V8qRJVlhCtF5--3kxF8uan4dKUsIS34D7ig2kH_8s.jpg?w=1024&s=2809a46d00191ef63703e79a30c06594

"Oh, Thank god! Sink lady! I'm all alone in a world where my actions are meaningless and I've begun to question whether my actions are my own or whether they're nothing more than the result of a chain of cause and effect that render free will meaningless.

Not the end result but merely another link in the causal chain that began before any of us began all the way back to the first seconds of the big bang.

Nothing has meaning, we're all made of dead stars, but even the stars are meaningless with no great purpose, no will, and no lasting effect. There is no free will, we're merely grass blowing in the wind of an uncaring universe, existing as nothing more than food for the next great maw. But your existence gives me hope! Tell me this is because I deserve it for something I've done! Make my actions have meaning in the eyes of something greater than my existence!"

"Sink lady?"

"Stupid monsters, can't even handle a little existential dread"

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    how stumpy are those arms

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    There was a Steven King shorty story about a finger poking up out of the drain. It was fantastic.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    There was a Steven King shorty story about a finger poking up out of the drain. It was fantastic.

King's novels can be hit and miss with me, but his short stories are consistently amazing.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Skeleton Crew is one I still reread from time to time

• Options
    maritzacmaritzac Registered User regular
    "The Crawling Finger". Excellent. EXCELLENT.

And I do agree, his short stories are masterpieces. Of course, he's only been doing them for like 60 years.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    rbg9tEoNv3FIM5FXdix3RVJ0Ltb1c4xk__0QjgV-Y0U.jpg?w=540&s=3fdafe636c0844c9c37b9bcffb58b667

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    But I don't own a dog...

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DOJmUaHL4&ab_channel=MathChief-Gameplay&Trailers!

I like this. It's quite creative but more importantly very claustrophobic and threatening. The whole "Everything is coated in organic" is tired but if you take it a bit further it goes back to being upsetting.

I can't tell what's supposed to be scary for most of that video. Squicky scenery is squicky, but doesn't actually seem to do much other than ooze threateningly. Pretty lights are gorgeous; I want to know more about that.

I can't watch people play Amnesia; it's too scary. I would love to watch a playthrough of this. (Not interested in playing it myself because I don't enjoy games where you're being hunted.)

I think the scary part is supposed to be that hell is real and you're there.

I kind of agree that the world building is so interesting that it takes away from the scariness a bit.

• Options
    maritzac wrote: »
    "The Crawling Finger". Excellent. EXCELLENT.

And I do agree, his short stories are masterpieces. Of course, he's only been doing them for like 60 years.

It Grows On You is pretty dang amazing

• Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    grosselo.jpg

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »

I think the scary part is supposed to be that hell is real and you're there.

I kind of agree that the world building is so interesting that it takes away from the scariness a bit.

Been and done.

I found a Keenguy! What's scary about a Keenguy and plenty of BFG ammo?

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Fall of 1984! That means there might be Ghostbusters references!!!!!!

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Oh no

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I'm pretty surprised how quickly they're making it, but it makes sense to strike while the iron's hot (and I assume filming while the kids are still young is a factor too, assuming they're the returning cast).

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    I'm pretty surprised how quickly they're making it, but it makes sense to strike while the iron's hot (and I assume filming while the kids are still young is a factor too, assuming they're the returning cast).

They're actually taking an extra year to let them grow up some more.

• Options
    Bogleech, the premier source for all things Halloween, has posted a list of his favourite 50s B movie monsters.
    This one might be my favourite? But there's some really good ones.
    nhung-bo-phim-khien-khan-gia-tu-vong-vi-soc-giua-rap-13-092444.jpg
    1955: THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT

The "Quatermass" films were based on a series of British television serials named for their protagonist, Professor Bernard Quatermass, who in this first adventure contends with one of the most disturbing monsters of its time...and fairly disturbing to this day. The grisly, cancerous, creeping mass we see here was once a human astronaut, infected by mysterious spores he encounters on a routine mission. The rapidly mutating man absorbs every living thing he comes into contact with, including a variety of zoo animals and even a large cactus. You don't need blood and guts for good body horror; just looking at this globster and knowing how it came to be is frightening enough. Naturally, the thing threatens to germinate even more of the infectious spores until successfully contained and destroyed.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I love Bogleech so damn much.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Bogleech, the premier source for all things Halloween, has posted a list of his favourite 50s B movie monsters.
    This one might be my favourite? But there's some really good ones.
    nhung-bo-phim-khien-khan-gia-tu-vong-vi-soc-giua-rap-13-092444.jpg
    1955: THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT

The "Quatermass" films were based on a series of British television serials named for their protagonist, Professor Bernard Quatermass, who in this first adventure contends with one of the most disturbing monsters of its time...and fairly disturbing to this day. The grisly, cancerous, creeping mass we see here was once a human astronaut, infected by mysterious spores he encounters on a routine mission. The rapidly mutating man absorbs every living thing he comes into contact with, including a variety of zoo animals and even a large cactus. You don't need blood and guts for good body horror; just looking at this globster and knowing how it came to be is frightening enough. Naturally, the thing threatens to germinate even more of the infectious spores until successfully contained and destroyed.

I never saw the original Quatermass, but I did see the mid-00's remake, which starred David Tennant just before his turn on Doctor Who (I think they even announced his casting as The Doctor whilst they were in the middle of filming it). I don't remember much about it, but I'm fairly certain I enjoyed it!

• Options
    Don't Breathe might be the scariest movie I've seen this year...and it doesn't feature any supernatural spooks of any kind.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    So I'm watching a show called Hellevator on Netflix, and it's basically Legends of the Hidden Temple but spoooky. It's kind of great.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I just started watching the latest series of American Horror Story (the hotel one).

Holy fuck, they've definitely gone deep on this one. Gore and sex flying everywhere, sometimes together! Some of it's a bit hammy, but I really like the feeling of madness they've managed to imbue this series with.

• Options
    http://reason.csail.mit.edu/~vondrick/vgan/hospital/
    A computer was given photographs of babies and told to turn them into videos based on its own understanding of reality.
    presumably a file size warning, the gifs themselves are small, but there are a lot of them

• Options
    A computer was given photographs of babies and told to turn them into videos based on its own understanding of reality.
    presumably a file size warning, the gifs themselves are small, but there are a lot of them

A lot of those babies are being seriously overcooked.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    You know what makes for a good and quick spooky time? Five Nights at Freddy's.

I've been stuck on the 4th night, and trying to beat that first one before moving to the second. I hear the games get progressively better with each iteration, but I already dig the concept. In half-hour chunks in a dark room, it totally gets the job done.

I never understood why there was so much venomous hatred toward the guy who makes the games: every time he puts out a sequel, regardless of quality, there's a bunch of angry people on the internet whining about it.

"Stop being successful!"

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    You know what makes for a good and quick spooky time? Five Nights at Freddy's.

I've been stuck on the 4th night, and trying to beat that first one before moving to the second. I hear the games get progressively better with each iteration, but I already dig the concept. In half-hour chunks in a dark room, it totally gets the job done.

I never understood why there was so much venomous hatred toward the guy who makes the games: every time he puts out a sequel, regardless of quality, there's a bunch of angry people on the internet whining about it.

"Stop being successful!"

Anytime someone hits it big with a simple game, the "hardcore gamer" grossboys get out the knives and scream about how people are having fun the wrong way.
    I love the sheer amount of mythology in the Five Nights series. I haven't played any of them but the first, but I always lookup the new story tidbits that come out of them.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    I just think it's a simple but effective concept: I've had late night jobs in the past, and even in a fully lit office there's still a feeling of dread in the darkness.

Five Nights takes the concept without fully resorting to supernatural elements (at least not in the first game): they tell you straight up these are typical mascot animatronics gone rogue. That alone works for me.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    So Enc Story time.

This is going back a ways now, but a long time ago I worked in a warehouse that held various types of flooring. It was an... interesting job. My boss was a family friend who needed someone to clean and watch the warehouse along with doing various... jobs that needed doing for ~his~ job. He was a factor, so what his business was entailed purchasing types of wholesale materials you couldn't easily get in the states and keeping them coming into his warehouse, where he would then sell them for a slight markup to large scale companies that didn't want to pay for the delays in the importing costs. It essentially was entirely based upon relationships and most of his business required frequent high end dinners and parties.

Where things got odd was that during these high end dinners and parties I would frequently be called up out of my dorm room across the city to drive over and watch the warehouse. No reason was given, only that I needed to be there from 8:45 when he left to 2-4am and to remain awake, but he was somewhat cheap so I had to keep the lights off in every room but where my work station was (it was a 20k foot warehouse and showroom, so lighting it was not inconsiderable cost). Whatever I did was fine, I could do homework or read or play on my gameboy, didn't matter. Sometimes I'd be asked to clean up a bit, but really I kept the place so tidy it rarely needed any work at all at night.

My workstation was a pretty strange thing, it wasn't a full room per say, but was intended to be by the builders. So it had two of the four walls built, including the one with the doorframe, and two that were just open wood framing you could easily squeeze between. The north wall was concrete and was an exterior wall with the outlet and computer, the south wall had the doorframe (but no door), and the east and west walls were the framework with the slats. This will be important.

So one night I get the odd call again and come into the office. My boss is dressed in an exceptionally fine suit, as opposed to the usual Miami-Vice wonky casual he usually sported, and tells me the same deal. Stay over night. He should be back by 3:00 am. Keep the lights out. But this time he stopped and told me one more thing:

"Keep your ears open tonight." He told me, and gave me a baseball bat. When I asked why I needed it he just said "If something happens, take care of yourself and don't call the cops."

Yeah. Ok. Not panicing now or anything. But I made a lot of money at that job and at the time money was super tight. My family on both sides had cut their funding of my degree to pay for their stupid and insane divorce and I was working three jobs to pay tuition, room and board without acruing too much debt. I made like 400 bucks each night I did this on average, so I wasn't about to turn it away.

I'd like to say that night was straight out of a ghost story, that haunting sounds happened and some sort of strange buildup occurred. It would be better story, but that's not how it went down. Most of the night I was just sitting there, staring at the computer monitor half jumping at every creak in the air conditioner kicking on and off (a requirement in Florida unless you want your wood floorings to warp), and trying to lose myself in online forums and my homework that night. I then started dozing off and fell asleep at the desk.

Around 1am, though, things changed.

There was a loud crash outside, and I freaked out absolutely. I had the bat in hand and did my nerdy, slightly overweight version of stalking like a seal around the warehouse to make sure everything was ok. It wasn't. Outside a car had crashed into the hedges in front of the showroom, shattered the fencing, and came about a foot away from the glass window before stopping. It was a really nice sports car, the door was open, and no one was inside. I ran back to the workstation to get my phone, and stopped halfway. one of the smaller metal garage doors into the warehouse had been opened. I slowly made my way around the warhouse, again doing what I thought was super cautious stalking and hiding but was probably stupid and loud and obvious, trying to get to my station without being seen by whatever was breaking in. I get back and nearly freak out. Something was in the "office" standing over my workstation. Somthing big, and messing around with my stuff and the computer. I had to get my phone, one way or another, and I had the bat, so I figured I'd try to scare the guy. I snuck up to one of the open sides and just let the bat fly as hard as possible into one of the wooden beams. The noise was really loud, and the figure shouted and fell out the other side, into a warehouse rack knocking it over.

You know how in the movies warehouse shelves fall over like dominos? In real life it only happens once and the second one just sort of screaches and slides away. It was loud, hella loud. I grabbed my phone, my bag, and teh bat and bolted out of the warehouse as fucking fast as possible and didn't stop until I was at a 7-11 about three blocks away. I called my boss and called but he didn't answer. Eventually I got my roomates to pick me up, and I waited to hear back.

Next morning I found out what had happened.

My boss got drunk, crashed his rental car out front, and came in the back looking to get me to drive him home so his wife wouldn't be mad at him. My little "startle" caused about 800 dollars worth of lost product and a mild concussion, along with shattered nerves on all parties.

When I came in the next day we talked about what had happened and he said he wouldn't take the loss out of my pay so long as I didn't breathe a word to his wife about wrecking the front of the shop. I worked with him for the rest of the day and into that night replanting the entire front area, replacing some cinderblocks, and putting fresh paint on the whole front area. We fixed the shelf, though thick gouges had been slammed into the floor from the second shelf sliding and one of the wooden timbers was cracked from my bat attack.

When I asked him later that day why he had me there in the first place though he gave me a weird smile.

"Oh, the guys I was meeting with had threatened to burn down the warehouse last time." He said with a nervous laugh. "Those guys don't fuck around." I always figured he was joking and I was just on drunk watch from then on. We made a deal that if he ever had a situation where he was drunk just to call me and I'd come pick him up. This made more sense, so we started doing that and I eventually played as his chauffeur for a few more months until I graduated.

Two years later the warehouse was set on fire in the middle of the night and half of his store was lost. They arrested the guys and they were seriously shady smuggler types from Japan and Korea. He retired after the insurance went through, and I haven't gone into a dark warehouse since. Every time i see FNAF I think of that job and it freaks me out.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    That's my new favorite story of all time

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Holy shit

What did he expect you to do with a bat if arsonists showed up tho

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Holy shit

Threaten to smash their skulls in before they tried it and hope they beat feet.

Not a good plan but it would make sense for a shady drunk who parties with smugglers and is too cheap to pay for office walls or proper security.

Having worked on that line of work it doesn't surprise me very much but it's a great story!

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Holy shit

From what his boss said, run the hell away and only stop to hit someone if they were blocking him running the hell away.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular

Man, those are some ass ugly babies

vEaRQgH.png
This discussion has been closed.