As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Also, specifically something that has not been done before.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I don't think there's any way it doesn't get renewed. It has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and is getting good word of mouth from viewers. But only Netflix actually knows how many people are watching, I guess.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I would assume it is getting renewed, yeah. Guess I'll have to sign up for Netflix next year if/when that happens.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I don't think there's any way it doesn't get renewed. It has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and is getting good word of mouth from viewers. But only Netflix actually knows how many people are watching, I guess.

They could have another season of MST3K, or six more shitty Adam Sandler movies.

Pretty sure it's an obvious choice for Netflix.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    It would be the first show ever to not get a 2nd season on Netflix. It would have to have disastrous viewing numbers for it to be the exception to that, especially since it's got to be one of their cheapest shows to produce - licensing for non-public domain movies is probably the greatest cost, and they already have the (only 2) sets built.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I would like to see all the actors involved get a pay raise though. It's a labor of love, but that's no reason to pay them peanuts. I want to see what this cast can do once they're veterans.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    I'm assuming that when they signed with Netflix they contracted for the possibility of multiple seasons with whatever everyone is getting paid already set.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017

They could have another season of MST3K, or six more shitty Adam Sandler movies.

The ratio there is probably much closer to the reverse, actually. Movies (even bad ones) are really expensive to make. MST3K is pretty cheap, even on the scale of TV shows.

That said, everything I've heard says those Sandler movies do good numbers for them. We have no idea what MST3K is looking like.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I imagine it's the same as always.

Good, solid numbers but it makes the people worried about the larger brand nervous.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Tickets bought for the DC evening show with the "Mystery Feature."

Taking my wife for her birfday, oh yeah. :D

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

The ratio there is probably much closer to the reverse, actually. Movies (even bad ones) are really expensive to make. MST3K is pretty cheap, even on the scale of TV shows.

That said, everything I've heard says those Sandler movies do good numbers for them. We have no idea what MST3K is looking like.

Few big stars (Felicia Day is big in online circles, but not big-big), few sets, little actual filming (and thus little actual film crew), intentionally bad makeup...I'd be shocked if the entire season of MST3K was more expensive to produce than a single Adam Sandler movie. Plus, some of the big ticket items such as making the Intro (Extra Sets), costumes, and making the robots (I assume they had to re-make them) are already taken care of. A season 2 of New MST3K could potentially be a lot cheaper than season 1.

I'm not saying its a given, because it definitely depends on viewer numbers, but you don't need huge numbers to justify season 2, and Netflix is certainly aggressive when it comes to expanding their Originals portfolio.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Wow. Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2 doesn't have a finale. It just sort of stops.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Wow. Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2 doesn't have a finale. It just sort of stops.

It shudders to a stop. Mercifully.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

They actually lost the ending.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

They actually lost the ending.

Lost to the medieval 80's

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    random obsevation from watching them back to back on a plane but I am 95% sure that the kid lead from Cry Wilderness is in Spinal Tap. Either that or his older brother given that it was 3 years before Cry Wilderness.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Turn that BANG up to 11.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    The kid dubbing the voice of Icho in that Yongary film sounded an awful lot like whoever did the Tails voice in Sonic Adventure.

Maybe all children just sound the same to me!

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

the entire movie hinges on the macguffin literally being on the floor the whole time

• Options

the entire movie hinges on the macguffin literally being on the floor the whole time

That was the original.

Were they even looking for something in 2? I think the kid just had to go fight Shel Silverstein and bat hat and third wizard. Whatever their names were.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular

That was the original.

Were they even looking for something in 2? I think the kid just had to go fight Shel Silverstein and bat hat and third wizard. Whatever their names were.

Yeah in WOTLK2 the whole quest was just cause some good wizard told another wizard to find a boy to go take out the 3 evil wizards.

• Options
    It's too quite in this thread.
    bang!

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

That was the original.

they're both basically the same movie.

• Options
    'The medieval 80's' is a really good riff

• Options
    Mia Farrow and Peter Cushing. What a season!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    These movies at the end of the season are SO BAD.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular

I enjoyed the last episode, At the Earth's Core was watchable and typical bad Sci-fi movie of the era although feels like it would fit better if it had been released a decade before.

But the one before (The Christmas That Almost Wasn't, Carnival Magic) were just slow, boring and very painful.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »

I enjoyed the last episode, At the Earth's Core was watchable and typical bad Sci-fi movie of the era although feels like it would fit better if it had been released a decade before.

But the one before (The Christmas That Almost Wasn't, Carnival Magic) were just slow, boring and very painful.

Yeah I hadn't gotten to the core yet. It's amazing the same guy starred in two bad but not absolutely atrocious adaptations of Burroughs novels.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I was gonna try to defend At the Earth's Core for being ambitious for its time, but holy shit, it was released in 1976. I thought it was a 50's film for a sec until I remembered it had an older Peter Cushing in it. Wow, that movie is pretty bad.

Personally, I kinda wish they would drop Christmas episodes. Almost as a rule, I've never found them entertaining; a bad Christmas movie is almost invariably going to be dull as hell, and that's the only kind of movie MST3K works with.

• Options
    Santa Claus Conquers the Martians was pretty wonderful

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Watched Yongary tonight and hoooboy was that one dry movie. The next time I need to paint the room, I'm going to put that on after and let it take care of it nearly instantly.
    I kept expecting them to BANG after every capsule mention.

I've seen several of my friends complain on FB that the new episodes are too quick with their quips and I can't say I agree. The pacing of them feels fine to me. There's only been a couple I don't think have landed very well.
    BANG!

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Wow, Starcrash. Wow.

Pretty sure someone here has an avatar of The (hilarious) Count.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Watched Yongary tonight and hoooboy was that one dry movie. The next time I need to paint the room, I'm going to put that on after and let it take care of it nearly instantly.
    I kept expecting them to BANG after every capsule mention.

I've seen several of my friends complain on FB that the new episodes are too quick with their quips and I can't say I agree. The pacing of them feels fine to me. There's only been a couple I don't think have landed very well.
    BANG!

There are definitely more of them packed together than in old episodes. Occasionally the joke starts before the on-screen action to time the punchlines. The original wasn't really improvised, but the new stuff feels much more rehearsed.

I think the new stuff is fine, but the riffs are a bit up-tempo from the old stuff. The movies are not. Some of them go from the delightful B movie sweet spot to terrible B movie territory.

• Options
    Wow, Carnival Magic suddenly threw way dark

"time to vivisect this monkey! who wants ice cream?"

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Wow, Starcrash. Wow.

Pretty sure someone here has an avatar of The (hilarious) Count.
    @Drake

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
  • Options
    I'm gonna break with the crowd and say I thought Carnival Magic was a riot

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I'm gonna break with the crowd and say I thought Carnival Magic was a riot

Hey rube!

• Options

The only way to do science is to cut this chimp up because I poorly understand evolution!

• Options

The only way to do science is to cut this chimp up because I poorly understand evolution!

But my beard is immaculate