As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    MST3K seems like a perfect fit for Netflix.

Yep. Although Shout is currently streaming older episodes on Hulu, so I would expect it to show up there before Netflix if for no other reason than that that relationship already exists.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Holy crap, those are some guest stars:
    So, here are a few performers who are interested in appearing on MST3K next season:
    • JACK BLACK, the brilliant comic actor and musician, star of everything from the Kung Fu Panda films to the wonderful School of Rock… though to some people, of course, he's better known as one-half of Tenacious D. So, I don't wanna tell you anything about what I'm planning for his character… but I think it would be a lot of fun to have him perform a song.

• JOEL MCHALE, who I first knew as the hilariously dry host of The Soup, and who has been expanding his acting career into television (as the star of Community) and film (the Ted movies). I met Joel at a friend's wedding last year, and we became fast friends. He's a really nice guy, so even though he's in demand for big-time revivals like The X-Files, he says he's up for joining us too!

• BILL HADER, the incredible changeling/actor/impressionist who has appeared in everything from SNL to Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs to Trainwreck. I’ve always been amazed by Bill's talents, and was finally introduced to him backstage at SNL by a mutual friend.

• NEIL PATRICK HARRIS is a true renaissance man whose career spans film, TV, the broadway stage and the internet, where he appeared opposite our own Felicia Day in Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Funny enough, though, I actually met Neil through mutual friends at the Los Angeles Magic History Conference, where we geeked out on magic together. Also, I'm honored to point out that Neil has always been a MSTie. In fact, he was included in first MST documentary – This is MST3K – all the way back in his Doogie Howser days!

• JERRY SEINFELD, my long time friend, and of course, one of our most brilliant stand-up comedians. Jerry was also the co-creator of Seinfeld, and the creator and host of my favorite concept for a talk show, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. You know, I’ve known this guy for over thirty years. I actually remember him from when he only had one car.
    ----
    MARK HAMILL is up for doing a cameo on Mystery Science Theater 3000!

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    If NPH and Felicia Day are on-board, why don't they just let Joss join the writing staff and let Nathan Fillion have a cameo too?

• Options
    The crazy thing is with all the addon rewards they are looking like they might actually hit 12 episodes.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    And if not, they might do 10 or 11 episodes because the money is there.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Go read up on his big strawman rant on the PC police (seriously like 50+ tweets). The guy honestly can't seem to wrap his head around how insensitive language might be harmful, or how giving offensive material aimed at minorities a free pass legitimizes it.

It's just one example, and it's not going to keep me from watching the show or anything. I just think he's more concerned about getting to say whatever he wants without having to worry about offending people than he is about the people who are hurt in very real ways by the normalization and acceptance of insensitivity and microaggression.

Uh, I'm googling but not finding anything I actually disagree with. He's a comedian, saying potentially offensive/funny things is what he does. This is the US, where he should be allowed to "say whatever he wants without having to worry about offending people." There's literally an amendment that lets him do that. I disagree with people who say there are some subjects you shouldn't joke about ever at all in any capacity. If handled correctly, anything can be made into a joke. But comedy should also encourage people to laugh with one another, not at each other in an offensive way.

Although I think everyone can agree that writing an essay on Twitter is horrible. Don't write 50 tweets to get out one message holy crap.

That's not what the 1st amendment does...

Freedom of Speech is protected by the 1st amendment in the US. His ability to say whatever he wants on twitter without getting arrested by the government is protected by the 1st amendment. Thus, he can say whatever he wants without having to worry about terrible consequences from making a joke about something. Sure, other people can be offended, but he doesn't have to worry about it because they can't do anything just because they're offended. But you're right, it can't prevent people from being offended. I just don't think it makes him "a garbage person" for wanting to be able to joke about whatever. Was there a specific instance where he mocked something and someone got upset? There are cases of that where the person mocking did it insensitively and ruined it, and cases where people are way too uptight about stuff that is clearly a joke. I haven't seen Patton Oswalt doing anything that might hurt people "in very real ways by the normalization and acceptance of insensitivity and microaggression." Hell I see Patton most making fun of the GOP!

The 1st ammendment only protects him from government censure, it does not protect him from people disagreeing with him, or businesses reacting to his comments, or anything else. He has the right to say what he wants and people and businesses and organizations have the right to call him on his shit.
    He on the other hand chooses the lowest road when it comes to how he responds and chooses to punch down at people who are offended.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    And if not, they might do 10 or 11 episodes because the money is there.

Or find additional funding after it closes. They'd have time, and could keep the option open to extend to 12 later on cast/crew contracts. Maybe.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Apostate wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure $4M is going to be enough to get some bigwig to take notice. It doesn't seem like a lot, but that's money raised exclusively by fans, not out of a corporate bank account. There's clear demand for this show. The only other Kickstarter for a TV show that's done better than this is Veronica Mars.

Unfortunately that's unlikely to happen. MST3K is in the "Firefly zone" where the fans are passionate and vocal but less numerous than the volume of their voice might imply. If you were to graph it out there is a steep dropoff from those who like it to those with no interest at all. It just doesn't have a really wide appeal.

I disagree with this. I mean, for one the show is nearly 15 years off the air at this point, so it's obvious there is going to be a gap of people who aren't familiar with it. Secondly, it's an extremely cheap show to make, so it's not like the most likely high budget SFX-heavy episodes of Firefly. I mean, it's understandable that executives don't want to spend that much on a semi-niche show. But MST3K might make more sense given the low cost and built-in fanbase.

But it's not an extremely cheap show. The rights for the movies are expensive. It's the whole reason the show got canceled. There was a good audience for the show but they couldn't afford the royalties anymore. It's why Rifftrax started as just mp3s and only later was able to add the integrated b movies when they started making enough money to pay the royalties.

• Options
    The show got canceled because Bonnie Hammer had it out for the show, not solely because of licensing and royalties. According to Mike, who maintains that this is true to this day, she said, "I'm going to kill that fucking puppet show." She went on to cancel MST and Farscape, changed the name of the channel to SyFy, and the rest is history.

It's true that prior to the Sci Fi era, the show had become sort of a misfit on Comedy Central. Here was a show that had an obscenely long running time, attracted a relatively niche (but admittedly enthusiastic and devoted) fanbase, and ratings were not up to network desires. Later Sci Fi would also cite ratings, and later on complained about the cost of licensing movies, but the show ran for 10 seasons, and it wasn't until Bonnie Hammer showed up and said that the show wasn't a fit with her vision of the network that it got canceled for good.

Bonnie Hammer may or may not also be awful, as network executives go. I don't judge, I report, you decide.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure $4M is going to be enough to get some bigwig to take notice. It doesn't seem like a lot, but that's money raised exclusively by fans, not out of a corporate bank account. There's clear demand for this show. The only other Kickstarter for a TV show that's done better than this is Veronica Mars.

Unfortunately that's unlikely to happen. MST3K is in the "Firefly zone" where the fans are passionate and vocal but less numerous than the volume of their voice might imply. If you were to graph it out there is a steep dropoff from those who like it to those with no interest at all. It just doesn't have a really wide appeal.

I disagree with this. I mean, for one the show is nearly 15 years off the air at this point, so it's obvious there is going to be a gap of people who aren't familiar with it. Secondly, it's an extremely cheap show to make, so it's not like the most likely high budget SFX-heavy episodes of Firefly. I mean, it's understandable that executives don't want to spend that much on a semi-niche show. But MST3K might make more sense given the low cost and built-in fanbase.

But it's not an extremely cheap show. The rights for the movies are expensive. It's the whole reason the show got canceled. There was a good audience for the show but they couldn't afford the royalties anymore. It's why Rifftrax started as just mp3s and only later was able to add the integrated b movies when they started making enough money to pay the royalties.

It was being produced for somewhere between 100k-200k an episode. It might sound crazy but in the land of television that is an extremely cheap show.

The rights to the films that MST3K weren't all that expensive for obvious reasons (or at least not expensive in the world of movie rights). Eventually once right holders of terrible B movies caught on that they could actually Get Paid it seems like cost started to become an issue but that's not "the whole reason it got cancelled".

Rifftrax went with mp3s because it allowed them to tear apart movies they'd never have been able to afford even a fraction of the rights to on MST3K. You're absolutely right they did eventually start doing some B movies but that wasn't the goal behind the mp3s.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    The show got canceled because Bonnie Hammer had it out for the show, not solely because of licensing and royalties. According to Mike, who maintains that this is true to this day, she said, "I'm going to kill that fucking puppet show." She went on to cancel MST and Farscape, changed the name of the channel to SyFy, and the rest is history.

It's true that prior to the Sci Fi era, the show had become sort of a misfit on Comedy Central. Here was a show that had an obscenely long running time, attracted a relatively niche (but admittedly enthusiastic and devoted) fanbase, and ratings were not up to network desires. Later Sci Fi would also cite ratings, and later on complained about the cost of licensing movies, but the show ran for 10 seasons, and it wasn't until Bonnie Hammer showed up and said that the show wasn't a fit with her vision of the network that it got canceled for good.

Bonnie Hammer may or may not also be awful, as network executives go. I don't judge, I report, you decide.

I basically blame anything even remotely related to "Syfy" (which I always pronounce "Siffy" because fuck that name) for that network going to complete shit, so yeah. Like, it used to be a good network. Now it is the joke network that created Sharknado, the movie that is only popular because of how obscenely stupid and bad it is (I guarantee you someone over there thought it was a brilliant film idea for non-camp reasons).

Edit: OH OH! New MST3K should riff on Syfy original movies to shit on that network once and for all :P Would be perfect material for them :D

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular

I basically blame anything even remotely related to "Syfy" (which I always pronounce "Siffy" because fuck that name) for that network going to complete shit, so yeah. Like, it used to be a good network. Now it is the joke network that created Sharknado, the movie that is only popular because of how obscenely stupid and bad it is (I guarantee you someone over there thought it was a brilliant film idea for non-camp reasons).

Edit: OH OH! New MST3K should riff on Syfy original movies to shit on that network once and for all :P Would be perfect material for them :D

Nah, they're too self-aware of how stupid they are.

Though speaking of the movies, has the Kickstarter announced any of their planned movies? If there a few famously bad ones queued up, it might bring in a few extra bucks.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Joel said he was going to keep the films under wraps until they premiere

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Kickstarter is up to $5.17 million, but that's using the add-ons total that hasn't been updated since yesterday. I am REALLY curious to see where that actually is now, since they've been pushing the add-ons hard lately. Either way, I think 12 episodes is pretty much a lock at this point.

Yesterday was the third best day of the campaign - I think the Seinfeld/Luke Skywalker news was a pretty big draw :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yea, I'm impressed at how well they've been chugging along.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I thought they'd be doing well to get to $4.4M total.

I bumped my pledge to $85 because $7/ep (if they get to 12) is probably a decent discount over what they're going to sell them for. Even at 9 eps, it is less than $10/ep and you get the classic bonus episodes.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I wonder what they're going to make for the story this time. I think the woman that played pearl is too old for the main bad guy.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Roe wrote: »
    I wonder what they're going to make for the story this time. I think the woman that played pearl is too old for the main bad guy.

It's Felicia Day as Dr. Forrester's daughter and Patton Oswalt as TV's Frank's son as the Mads.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    They just updated the bar - up to $425,000 in add-on cash and they added a box for a "13th episode - Holiday Special" beyond $5.5 million. I assume an update is forthcoming soon :P

Edit: Ha, and there it is.. went up as I was typing this :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Basically, they'll do a 13th episode/holiday special if they beat the Veronica Mars kickstarter record. I can't imagine they'll make it, but it looks like there's a more than decent shot at 12 episodes.

• Options
    There are supposed to be some extra add-on rewards offered during the countdown stream (specifically I saw stuff from Pen Ward mentioned - I'm guessing he will do some drawings?). That could help push them over.

As a side note, it's a shame Kickstarter doesn't have support for add-ons like that with their system. I hate how the numbers don't add together. Ditto for whenever they do paypal things.

• Options
    It's official, we're getting 12 new episodes.

• Options
    mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    A Patrick Swayze Christmas is just around the corner.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    $5.6 million with 5 hours to go. Another 400k and we'll have holiday movie sign!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    The telethon is about to start. Right now they're having technical difficulties.

• Options
    They're up to $5.7M now with add-on sales. I don't know how likely it is they'll get another $200K before the next 3.5 hours is up but I wouldn't bet against it at this point. We may be in for 13 episodes.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The telethon is about to start. Right now they're having technical difficulties.

I love how they changed the "Please Wait" message to "Please Get Out and Push"

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    There was a live stream here. It's gone now.

mildlymorbid on
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    They just beat Veronica Mars with 5.709 million.

I just noticed the ticker on their live stream isn't updating... the donations haven't stopped, they're just having technical issues out the ass with this live-stream business.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I want one of those flash drives, but this time of the year I cant justify spending so much for a small flash drive.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Gypsy representing in the back! I wasn't sure we were gonna get to see her anymore.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Ooh, I remember these guys. I saw them when they opened for Johnathon Coulton a few years ago.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Just saw Ninja Brian in the background.

• Options
    Trying to do things live is always a terrible awful very bad idea.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Livestreaming in an unfamiliar location with as many plates as they're spinning is fucking hard. They're doing fine.

• Options
    They got an assload in the first couple days but now the donations seem to have slowed down dramatically. I was hopeful they would get enough to do a full 12 episodes, but now it looks like we will be lucky to see more than 3. Time will tell.

Just bringing this back up

Just dredging this up to look at again

:P

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Honestly you just don't know what you're talking about.

I don't know where you got the idea that episode costs had anything to do with cancelation. It was another case where a network executive decided they didn't like a show and killed it purely out of personal bias. Kinda like the woman who killed the company that made Dungeons and Dragons because she hated gamers. Why do these people take leadership roles for things that they hate?

Anyway money talks, and unless I missed the memo where Firefly fans raised millions of dollars, and big names were jumping onto the movie finale left and right, the situation is in no way alike.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    This live stream is a fucking train wreck. I don't think they are going to hit 5.9 million with this shit show.

Joel seems like he's getting super pissed and trying to keep himself in check.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    It's very true to the show's origins. Super UHF.

But yeah there's no way they fail to hit 5.9M. With non-KS contributions they're only $100K away.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    I don't know who keeps rubbing sandpaper on a microphone but I want to murder them.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg