Options

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Why was the dad's voice dubbed in Cry Wilderness when it seemed like nobody else was? It was driving me crazy during the entire movie.

Possibly because they thought the actor's voice wouldn't sell.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Har Mar Superstar is singing the theme song, which I was pumped about.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Why was the dad's voice dubbed in Cry Wilderness when it seemed like nobody else was? It was driving me crazy during the entire movie.

It's possible that they didn't get good recordings of the actor's voice and had to have him come back and redub it in post.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

It definitely was. I think they made a joke about how bad the dubbing was. I had assumed they all were but his was just the worst job/most noticeable, but maybe it was only him.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Reminds me of the female lead (and only the female lead) in "Horror of Party Beach"'s terrible dubbing:

"Daddy?"

Crow: "...why am I dubbed?"

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Cry Wilderness may have been the most tense movie I have ever watched. I never once felt the big game hunter was a threat, but kept honestly expecting the "heroes" to shoot each other by accident. The "bang" jokes helped take the edge off this to some extent, but it was almost too horrifying for the jokes to salvage it.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    Cry Wilderness may have been the most tense movie I have ever watched. I never once felt the big game hunter was a threat, but kept honestly expecting the "heroes" to shoot each other by accident. The "bang" jokes helped take the edge off this to some extent, but it was almost too horrifying for the jokes to salvage it.

Bang!

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I laughed everytime.
    No really.
    BANG

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    The big game hunter grabbing the raccoon was a little over the top. Like that seemed very "in the 60s we didn't give a shit about animals in movies" and you could tell those raccoons weren't having it cause they bit the hell out of one of the guys

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

For a prominent example in a successful, well regarded movie: all of Auric Goldfinger's lines are dubbed. (Also Star Wars obviously, but since you never see Vader's lips move it's less of a dub and more just normal VA work, at least to my mind)

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

For a prominent example in a successful, well regarded movie: all of Auric Goldfinger's lines are dubbed. (Also Star Wars obviously, but since you never see Vader's lips move it's less of a dub and more just normal VA work, at least to my mind)

Well, in Star Wars case it's because I don't think they wanted a "West Country" Darth Vader

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    In the No Small Parts video series I learned they dubbed all of Viggo the Carpathian's lines in Ghostbusters 2. Like David Prowse in Star Wars, they didn't tell him ahead of time.
    But the guy who played Viggo was also a real miserable SOB.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    The big game hunter grabbing the raccoon was a little over the top. Like that seemed very "in the 60s we didn't give a shit about animals in movies" and you could tell those raccoons weren't having it cause they bit the hell out of one of the guys

Agreed. Made me really worried for the animals on set if they put that into the film.

Poor trash panda.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Agreed. Made me really worried for the animals on set if they put that into the film.

Poor trash panda.

Ditto, though at least like 95% of them were just bad stock footage :P

I actually wonder though - aren't films required to have that "no animals were harmed..." message in the credits? Curious if that is there, or maybe this movie predates that being done...

Edit: Side note, had the same concern for that horse in the Hollow Mountain movie. That thing is forced down a steep hill and then topples over...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

Despite the dated quality of the movie, Cry Wilderness is actually early 80s, which you can fairly readily tell by the hair and clothing styles. But it's not much better - people largely didn't start giving a shit about things like animal welfare until the 90s began rolling in.

Warlock82 wrote: »

Poor trash panda.

Ditto, though at least like 95% of them were just bad stock footage :P

I actually wonder though - aren't films required to have that "no animals were harmed..." message in the credits? Curious if that is there, or maybe this movie predates that being done...

Edit: Side note, had the same concern for that horse in the Hollow Mountain movie. That thing is forced down a steep hill and then topples over...

No, there actually isn't really a law requiring animals being treated humanely, but I believe it is enforced by the Screen Actor's Guild that an American Humane Association representative be present during all filming to ensure the safety of the animals.

It does however tend to be career suicide nowadays if people find out you've been abusing animals(as you may have recently seen with the backlash over A Dog's Purpose - whether or not it actually happened) and/or to go against the guild, so it ends up being its own kind of self-policing.

IMDB lists Cry Wilderness as independent so they probably didn't care about any sort of humaneness guidelines.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    It was the horse tumbling/flipping down the hillside in the cowboy monster movie that caught my eye. Stunt guy got flattened and the horse was clearly having none of it.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017

Cry Wilderness, according to IMDB, was released in 1987

No idea when it was actually shot, but that is a lot later than I would have thought.

Edit: Wiki claims it was shot the year before

Veevee on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Jesus Christ they must have gone back in time to film Cry Wilderness.

Holy shit in 87 we had like Lawnmower man right?

Also watching Avalanche now and wow it's amazing.
    (speaking about Rock Hudson's character) "He's up to his ass in celebrities"

- let's leave that one be fellas....

"and also you, Danny from the previous movie..."

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Avalanche starts out amusing and becomes uproariously funny

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    MST3K shows great promotional material for people aspiring to be moviemakers, because they continue to find films which magnificently demonstrate that literally freaking anybody can make a movie.

People pay money to make this crap. Money. Real, actual money. And also act in these things! Or pretend to act. Or try to pretend to act.

• Options

It's so weird because it spends a stupid amount of time setting up all these random plot threads only to kill off just about everyone in about 2 minutes. Like literally, what was up with the figure skater?

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II might be one of the best episodes, oh man. These old fantasy movies are great. A huge treat after trekking through my two least favorite genres, Herc movies and kaiju films

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    MST3K shows great promotional material for people aspiring to be moviemakers, because they continue to find films which magnificently demonstrate that literally freaking anybody can make a movie.

People pay money to make this crap. Money. Real, actual money. And also act in these things! Or pretend to act. Or try to pretend to act.

Sure, sometimes it's a money laundering scheme for the mafia a la Mel Brooks' The Producers, but hey, sometimes you gotta make some tough choices when you first get into the biz.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Sure, sometimes it's a money laundering scheme for the mafia a la Mel Brooks' The Producers, but hey, sometimes you gotta make some tough choices when you first get into the biz.

I don't even want to know what David Hasselhoff had to accept for being in Star Crash. The writing is so incredibly awful that I find it actively disorienting and uncomfortable, because it just slews around wildly.

Though I'm betting the number of people who actually saw that move was fairly nonexistent, so it probably had minimal impact on his career.

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    And also act in these things! Or pretend to act. Or try to pretend to act.
    I was reading up on what the hell Christopher Plummer was doing in Starcrash, and it boiled down to "I get to go to Rome," which I can understand.

• Options
    Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II might be one of the best episodes, oh man. These old fantasy movies are great. A huge treat after trekking through my two least favorite genres, Herc movies and kaiju films
    "Please don't say grand wizard..."

• Options

I don't even want to know what David Hasselhoff had to accept for being in Star Crash. The writing is so incredibly awful that I find it actively disorienting and uncomfortable, because it just slews around wildly.

Though I'm betting the number of people who actually saw that move was fairly nonexistent, so it probably had minimal impact on his career.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that Hasselhoff took what he could get. IMDB says Starcrash was four years before even Knight Rider, so his career was basically a non-thing at that point in time.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm 5 episodes in now and this is just as good as I was desperately hoping it would be. I'm still not used to new Servo, and maybe I never will be, but the writing is the most important thing -- far more than nostalgia -- and it's very much on point.

Weirdly I'm liking the host sections a lot more than I used to. And I liked the old ones a lot!

• Options
    I'm 5 episodes in now and this is just as good as I was desperately hoping it would be. I'm still not used to new Servo, and maybe I never will be, but the writing is the most important thing -- far more than nostalgia -- and it's very much on point.

Weirdly I'm liking the host sections a lot more than I used to. And I liked the old ones a lot!

I didn't like him at first (for sounding way different) but I think I got used to him during all the kickstarter promo stuff they did leading up to it, so he seems fine to me now.

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I didn't like him at first (for sounding way different) but I think I got used to him during all the kickstarter promo stuff they did leading up to it, so he seems fine to me now.

I have no problem with the new bot voices individually, but I've watched half the episodes and I still can't tell Vaughn and Yount apart much of the time.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Screw it let's go to the good Arbys

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

Giant bomb is currently playing through a full motion video game called tender loving care that was cobbled together from the most lifetime ass lifetime movie that includes nudity and somehow got john hurt to act in it for like a total of 20 minutes. They found out he got paid 100k for the role.

Your bolded is still true today/the last 10-20 years.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I've only seen Reptilicus (I'm not sure that counts as kaiju; shows more sweaty people around tables than it does monsters) and Cry Wilderness so far, but everything seems on the up-and-up.

I always thought Joel's hosting segments were the weakpoint of the show. Both the Jonah and Felicia parts seem to be written a bit smoother with better jokes. Just their "Movie sign!" is a little too over the top. Felicia Day in particular seems to improve quite a bit from Ep. 1 to Ep. 2, less constant smiling and more character. But that's all incidental to the riffing.

I'm still not sure which voice goes with which bot in the theatre, but that's fine. The jokes stream in; they seem a lot more densely packed than in a lot of the old MST3K (the original wasn't improv but seemed like it sometimes, whereas the new stuff seems even less improvisational). There's also a lot more singing in the new stuff. Like 5 to 10 times per movie instead of 1 or 2. I think the 'commercial' bumpers work well - they're actually dubbed with joke-like digs unlike the original's bare musical interlude.

I think the main difference is that this feels like it has much higher production values than the original series. More effort (and probably time) spent on acting and writing. I am happy with the fruits of basically the only kickstarter I've ever backed.

President Rex on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

She died as she lived. Lit up.

Edit: also the extended TripAdvisor bit at the end was p good too

Delzhand on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I maintain that Felicia Day is overrated but I am enjoying her in MST3K and hope she continues to get better. It really shows when the actors are actually having fun with the material.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Hehe, I still like the joke from Beast of Hollow Mountain:
    "But the cowboy didn't like him so he shot him in the faaaaaace... "
    "Ooh! Meta!"

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Giant bomb is currently playing through a full motion video game called tender loving care that was cobbled together from the most lifetime ass lifetime movie that includes nudity and somehow got john hurt to act in it for like a total of 20 minutes. They found out he got paid 100k for the role.

Your bolded is still true today/the last 10-20 years.

Michael Caine's explanation of appearing in Jaws: The Revenge "Look at the house it bought me."

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    That Tame Impala joke in episode 2 cut deep. I'm going to go cry into my craft beer now.

No joke though, the references here are top notch now.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Ep 7
    Jingle had better become a recurring character. That was awesome.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.