Options

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Holy crap Avalanche is boring...

Are you saying you felt nothing for the old lady who got trapped in an avalanche and then suffered from strokecirrhosishypothermia and then experienced fiery doom from an ambulance careening out of control and plummeting 80 feet to doom? Because even without riffing that made me laugh out loud from the shear inanity.
    The lady is alive and well; why are you driving like a maniac on snow-covered mountain roads, ambulance driver dude?

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    The payoff of the ambulance sequence was absolutely hilarious, honestly. From the ambulance driver being a former rally car driver to "she died how she lived" it was just fantastic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Holy crap Avalanche is boring...

Are you saying you felt nothing for the old lady who got trapped in an avalanche and then suffered from strokecirrhosishypothermia and then experienced fiery doom from an ambulance careening out of control and plummeting 80 feet to doom? Because even without riffing that made me laugh out loud from the shear inanity.
    The lady is alive and well; why are you driving like a maniac on snow-covered mountain roads, ambulance driver dude?

That happens after 75% of the movie is over.

The Beast of Hollow Mountain suffered from the same problem.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Jeez, Starcrash was so bad even the riffs couldn't save it.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Ha, that South Korean monster movie was so weird. (I am still sad at the lack of StarCraft jokes :P)
    CAPSULE!!

Also it seems my name ended up in the credits of The Loves of Hercules. Which is ok I guess, but I'm still mad at the Js for screwing me out of StarCrash's credits (still my favorite one so far). Did have some good lines tho :P
    "How is that river purple?"
    "Purple rain..."

"I must have slept through the Greek mythology class that went over Sasquatches..."

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    :whistle: I'll never Beast, of Hollow Mountain :whistle:

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The Loves of Hercules has the weirdest closing segment yet

I love it

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    @nexuscrawler

I don't know what's worse about Pumaman- his costume, the ludicrously bad flying effects, or his theme music.

Also, Donald Pleasance must have REALLY needed a paycheck.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Soundtrack by my little brother's Casio

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I'm waiting to watch the new series with so.e friends but have watched some old eps to whet my hunger.

Re-watched Manos last night, and I had forgotten precisely how awful it is. There's several instances where everyone literally just stand around looking at each other while ominous music plays and Torgo fidgets.

• Options
    Manosssss...

The... Hands of Fate?

Yessssss...

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Every frame of this movie looks like someone's last known photograph.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Finished the 3rd ep last night. Time Travelers was merely bad to mediocre, instead of awful. Pleasantly surprised after the previous Ib Melchior movie. They even didn't completely flub some of the science, like the speed of light transmission from alpha centauri.

Cry Wildness on the other hand...

Never have i so badly wanted a child to be eaten by a bear.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Finished the 3rd ep last night. Time Travelers was merely bad to mediocre, instead of awful. Pleasantly surprised after the previous Ib Melchior movie. They even didn't completely flub some of the science, like the speed of light transmission from alpha centauri.

Cry Wildness on the other hand...

Never have i so badly wanted a child to be eaten by a bear.
    bang!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    BTW, maybe it is my mythology OCD but it was constantly driving me crazy in The Loves of Hercules that they were interchanging Greek and Roman mythology. Like, they talk about Zeus but then call Hercules "the son of Jupiter" all the time. I guess I shouldn't expect much from a movie that bad :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    A LOT of people named Zach backed this kickstarter, apparently.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    I noticed a rather large number of people named Brian in the kickstarter list. Now I wonder which name had the most.

Cry Wilderness was quite enjoyable, Time Travelers was that special kind of awful scifi movie that I love on MST3k, Avalanche had some of the best lines so far but Beast of Hollow Mountain was a real treat.

Also great was Tom Servo and Crow breaking out the drones in Avalanche, and really every time they interact with the action on the screen I've liked.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I had the hardest time telling all the wasps apart in avalanche.

Who was rock sleeping with?
    It looked like the good skater.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    The Hoff is like.... 18 in this. The special effects are 20 years out of date. Ladies in bikinis all the time.

Truly a masterwork of cinema.

Edit: it seems like the bowchicka bow wow music should start any moment and then boning down, but they forgot that part.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    The Hoff is like.... 18 in this. The special effects are 20 years out of date. Ladies in bikinis all the time.

Truly a masterwork of cinema.

Edit: it seems like the bowchicka bow wow music should start any moment and then boning down, but they forgot that part.

It's still just an iron.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    are you ready FOR SOME FOOTBALLLL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvNzhKTXweQ

• Options
    Do you think Starcrash's marketing strategy was to confuse your grandmother into taking you?

Because it is that movie with the lasers and spaceman that you really wanted to see. Thanks Grandma!

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Do you think Starcrash's marketing strategy was to confuse your grandmother into taking you?

Because it is that movie with the lasers and spaceman that you really wanted to see. Thanks Grandma!

Caroline Munro.

That's the marketing.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »

Caroline Munro.

That's the marketing.

"Did she lose some more clothes when they jumped to hyperspace?"

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular

What the hell was the point of skater side plot?

Pathos? Get fucked movie.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

That whole movie was a joke, and the punchline was getting to watch an old lady get saved and then promptly Dukes-of-Hazard-ed off a cliff to crash, explode, burn, drown, and possibly freeze if she was still somehow alive long enough for that.

Even without riffing, that part was hilarious.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Eh, her blood alcohol level would probably be too high to freeze anyway.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Rock Hudson was a treasure

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    End of season spoilers:
    Well, uh, that was a thing. Eaten by a Reptilicus.

I don't know that I care all that much for the mad plot. The old mad plots worked best as an excuse to be kitschy, and this "media empire" thing seems more cynical.

The series has potential to get up on its own legs, but I do hope they break a bit out of the shadow of the previous seasons for season 12.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Last few weeks I marathoned all the 'good seasons' and also went back to the later ones I liked. I forgot how much of my childhood was giggling like a madman as they mocked Gamera.

I'm only on ep one of the new shiz but I'm really liking it. I'm just gonna need someone to copy these to VHS so I can get over how weird it is to see this show in HD.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    End of season spoilers:

I don't know that I care all that much for the mad plot. The old mad plots worked best as an excuse to be kitschy, and this "media empire" thing seems more cynical.

The series has potential to get up on its own legs, but I do hope they break a bit out of the shadow of the previous seasons for season 12.

I liked it okay, except for that ending.
    I mean, they should at least have left it ambiguous what happens to him. Maybe he gets swallowed whole and unharmed and escapes out the back end or something. But with everyone running around going, "He's dead!" then cut to credits, it just ends the show in a weird place that retroactively affects one's mindset when watching any previous episode.

• Options
    OK, Starcrash was a treat. Absolutely loved the episode. Amazing to think that came out the year after Star Wars.

#torpedo

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    End of season spoilers:

I mean, they should at least have left it ambiguous what happens to him. Maybe he gets swallowed whole and unharmed and escapes out the back end or something. But with everyone running around going, "He's dead!" then cut to credits, it just ends the show in a weird place that retroactively affects one's mindset when watching any previous episode.

Repeat to yourself it's just a show...

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    End of season spoilers:

I don't think that quite applies in this case.
    It's nothing to do with how the science works, or any of the other logical inconsistencies brought on by pretending a low-budget puppet show is a mad scientist experiment. It's like if, at the end of Mitchell, instead of landing safely in the Australian outback, Joel's escape pod was shot down over the Sea of Japan, it spun in, and there were no survivors. That might have put a damper on things. Yes it's just a show and Joel Hodgson continues to live on unharmed in Minneapolis, but having him pointlessly die would also probably have made the Joel vs. Mike net arguments even fiercer.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    End of season spoilers:

It's nothing to do with how the science works, or any of the other logical inconsistencies brought on by pretending a low-budget puppet show is a mad scientist experiment. It's like if, at the end of Mitchell, instead of landing safely in the Australian outback, Joel's escape pod was shot down over the Sea of Japan, it spun in, and there were no survivors. That might have put a damper on things.

Y'know
    He's not dead simply because a pack of bumbling idiots proclaimed it in a scattered panic. No one except Max even knew that robot existed.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

That whole movie was a joke, and the punchline was getting to watch an old lady get saved and then promptly Dukes-of-Hazard-ed off a cliff to crash, explode, burn, drown, and possibly freeze if she was still somehow alive long enough for that.

Even without riffing, that part was hilarious.

Mia Farrow popping the escape hatch on that ambulance really tickled me. Peace out, ex in law, good luck with that cliff!

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    End of season spoilers:

It's nothing to do with how the science works, or any of the other logical inconsistencies brought on by pretending a low-budget puppet show is a mad scientist experiment. It's like if, at the end of Mitchell, instead of landing safely in the Australian outback, Joel's escape pod was shot down over the Sea of Japan, it spun in, and there were no survivors. That might have put a damper on things.

Y'know
    He's not dead simply because a pack of bumbling idiots proclaimed it in a scattered panic. No one except Max even knew that robot existed.
    So, he's alive because Kinga and Max are bumbling idiots? The robot monster that ate him and is seen gnawing on him whole didn't count?

It could just all be a plot to introduce a new host in season 12, but as it is, every indication is this character's dead and personally I don't think they should have gone that route. There are less gruesome ways to cancel a wedding.