Options

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    gavindel wrote: »
    End of season spoilers:
    Well, uh, that was a thing. Eaten by a Reptilicus.

I don't know that I care all that much for the mad plot. The old mad plots worked best as an excuse to be kitschy, and this "media empire" thing seems more cynical.

The series has potential to get up on its own legs, but I do hope they break a bit out of the shadow of the previous seasons for season 12.

I liked it okay, except for that ending.
    I mean, they should at least have left it ambiguous what happens to him. Maybe he gets swallowed whole and unharmed and escapes out the back end or something. But with everyone running around going, "He's dead!" then cut to credits, it just ends the show in a weird place that retroactively affects one's mindset when watching any previous episode.

Repeat to yourself it's just a show...

I don't think that quite applies in this case.
    It's nothing to do with how the science works, or any of the other logical inconsistencies brought on by pretending a low-budget puppet show is a mad scientist experiment. It's like if, at the end of Mitchell, instead of landing safely in the Australian outback, Joel's escape pod was shot down over the Sea of Japan, it spun in, and there were no survivors. That might have put a damper on things.

Y'know
    He's not dead simply because a pack of bumbling idiots proclaimed it in a scattered panic. No one except Max even knew that robot existed.
    So, he's alive because Kinga and Max are bumbling idiots? The robot monster that ate him and is seen gnawing on him whole didn't count?

It could just all be a plot to introduce a new host in season 12, but as it is, every indication is this character's dead and personally I don't think they should have gone that route. There are less gruesome ways to cancel a wedding.

There's only so far I'm willing to go with this because by all accounts there's no way you're not just overthinking it, but
    I guarantee you that if he does come back next season, his return will be just as contrived as his "death".

I also guarantee you this is fully by intent.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    My main criticism of the new show is sometimes they have 3-4 jokes for a single action on screen. It would probably better to select just one instead of shouting out all of them in order.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    On episode 8 now, here is my list so far of the episodes in order of most entertaining,

1. E02 - Cry Wilderness - Is this a classic?
    2. E08 - The Loves of Hercules - The riffs are really on point and this movie is the right amount of goofy fun
    3. E04 - Avalanche - Safety last!
    4. E03 - The Time Travelers - Reminds me a lot of This Island Earth, not quite as good but movie is a decent sci-fi b-movie and the riffing is on point
    5. E06 - Starcrash - This movie is incomprehensible terrible but the riffs keep you awake
    6. E07 - The Land That Time Forgot
    7. E05 - The Beast of Hollow Mountain
    8. E01 - Reptilicus - Giant monsters are fun but I don't know if I would have lead with this

No episode has been bad so far. This is a really solid season.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    This may sound weird but I'm not even sure The Land That Time Forgot and Time Travellers are even that bad. I mean, they're not good, but The Land That Time Forgot had some fun nonsense in it and Time Travellers had a lot of neat "movie magic" stuff in it, alongside some neat, if super derivative, sci-fi ideas.

Then again, I know they chop these movies down to make every episode about the same length, so that may be doing some of these movies a lot of favors as far as pacing goes.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Time Travelers had some fairly badass prop work special effects for the time. And the story wasn't complete drek.

It was very much a product of the era where they turned slow scifi books into slower scifi movies, though.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Some of the finer experiments are movies with low pain factors. Werewolf, Hobgoblins, Puma Man, pretty much all the Gamera stuff, Mitchell, etc. are mostly harmless, corny, product-of-their-time stuff.

Most of the Manos/Red Zone Cuba/Monster-a-Go-Go type of movies are one and done for me. I'm fine being incredulous at their existence one time and then I never need to suffer again.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Gamera in particular, as a series, I find more fun and inventive than Godzilla movies, for the most part. The big ol' turtle deserves some love.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Also, he's really neat and made of turtle meat

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    But ... can I have a Coke?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

I have it on good authority that he is a friend to children.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

I have it on good authority that he is friend to children.

FTFY ... :D

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Wow, Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II was just ridiculously bad (the movie that is, the actual riffing was great). Holy crap. At least the first one had something of a coherent plot to it... the sequel (which had absolutely no connection to the first movie in any way at all) seemed to be mostly an excuse for a horny teenage boy to perv on a bunch of hot blondes... and jokes about roast chicken for some reason...

Edit: Come to think of it.. the first one was basically low-rent medieval Star Wars... Young boy with magical powers he hasn't mastered yet sets out on a journey to rescue the princess from an evil wizard accompanied by a sarcastic outlaw and yeti-like companion while avoiding temptations towards "dark magic". Just replace "wizard" with "jedi" and his father is Obi-wan but he dies at the beginning of the movie instead of the end :P I guess the ring is the rebel base :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I always wondered how much they cut out of these movies

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Wow, Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II was just ridiculously bad (the movie that is, the actual riffing was great). Holy crap. At least the first one had something of a coherent plot to it... the sequel (which had absolutely no connection to the first movie in any way at all) seemed to be mostly an excuse for a horny teenage boy to perv on a bunch of hot blondes... and jokes about roast chicken for some reason...

Edit: Come to think of it.. the first one was basically low-rent medieval Star Wars... Young boy with magical powers he hasn't mastered yet sets out on a journey to rescue the princess from an evil wizard accompanied by a sarcastic outlaw and yeti-like companion while avoiding temptations towards "dark magic". Just replace "wizard" with "jedi" and his father is Obi-wan but he dies at the beginning of the movie instead of the end :P I guess the ring is the rebel base :P

The second one felt like someone realized how bad and unintentionally funny the first once was, and tried to make a comedy out of it, but maybe only told half the writers.

And the other half and most of the cast sucked at comedy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

They seem to be calling the cuts out now with the "leaks" in the movie vat.

For Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II they say they cut David Carradine fighting some creature. "It could have saved the movie"

• Options

They seem to be calling the cuts out now with the "leaks" in the movie vat.

For Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II they say they cut David Carradine fighting some creature. "It could have saved the movie"

I can't tell if those are actual cuts or just jokes...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    My wife has been depressed recently (for reasons covered elsewhere on these boards) and while she couldn't commit to occupying herself with anything, I said I was gonna take the plunge and check out the new MST3K on Netflix.

She sat next to me doing crochet during 'Reptilicus', and was grinning within ten minutes.

Mission accomplished.
    Bones.
    Jim!
    Fossil Bones.
    Fossil Jim!

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    And Reptilicus is my least favorite so far!

• Options
    And Reptilicus is my least favorite so far!

Yeah by far I think Reptilicus is the worst one. They just get so much better after that.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Halfway through Yongary, this might be my 2nd favorite so far behind Cry Wilderness, these jokes are great.
    "That's the Korean biathalon, you run a 5k and decorate a room"

"Oh, so thats why they were carrying those pillows on their heads"

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I caught a Kingkiller Chronicle joke in The Loves of Hercules, so I'm happy.

• Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Halfway through Yongary, this might be my 2nd favorite so far behind Cry Wilderness, these jokes are great.

I was seriously disappointed at the lack of StarCraft jokes for a South Korean movie...

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I was seriously disappointed at the lack of StarCraft jokes for a South Korean movie...

Great, now I am too. :P

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

I don't remember that. I vaguely recall several different nerdy refs, but not that one

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

I don't remember that. I vaguely recall several different nerdy refs, but not that one

At one point there's a group traveling on the road they call the "Edema Ruh"

• Options
    Seems like there's a Game of Thrones reference every ep

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I'm a little disappointed that I didn't catch any Night Rider or Baywatch references in Starcrash. Did I miss one? I know it's the easy route to take, but it's also probably funny.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Even though it was better than Reptilicus, I feel like there were a lot of dropped balls in Starcrash

It had the potential to be a classic, and instead it was merely good

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

There are GoT references everywhere, always.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

A man makes a game of thrones reference.

• Options
    Everyone is so down on Starcrash but it was still probably my favorite one :P

• Options
    The ending of Hercules is the silliest thing

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Everyone is so down on Starcrash but it was still probably my favorite one :P

Despite the lack of Night Rider and/or Baywatch jokes, I also really like Starcrash. It's up there with Cry Wilderness and Avalanche so far for me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    the only knock i have is servo's voice. they need to do something so he doesn't sound so like the other folks. and its just kinda meh. Not to say baron is bad or cant change inflection or something...

This is a tiny knock- it came back in excellent form. Jonah does well, the riffs are great. Its just about perfect.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I think part of the problem with other Servo's voice is that Kevin Murphy has such a distinct voice. He sounds like he should be doing a radio show or something. Other people, like Josh and Baron just sound like normalish people.

Also he voiced the character for 9 years, it's hard to seperate that little gumball machine from Kevin.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Patton Oswalt was on Jimmy Fallon last night, promoting The Circle. After initial opening patter, Jimmy talked to him about MST3K. Normally, if an actor goes on one of these shows, and the host mentions some show or movie they've been in/are currently in, there's clapping, applause, or at least an errant "Wooo!"

Nope. Dead silence for two minutes while they talked about it, until Patton made a silly face. It was really bizarre and kind of sad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Jimmy Fallon's audience needs its hands held through each stage of a joke, so I'm not surprised.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if this was like early-2000s Conan then I would expect a different reaction.

• Options

Oh yeah, i do remember that one.
    It's kind of weird having an MST with current references that i get. It makes a weird cognitive dissonance for me, because sometimes the references are so thick it feels like that's all they do and it pulls me out of it.

But then i remember how I watched Pod People like 10 times in high school, and needed my dad to explain the piles of references i didn't get.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Oh yeah, i do remember that one.
    It's kind of weird having an MST with current references that i get. It makes a weird cognitive dissonance for me, because sometimes the references are so thick it feels like that's all they do and it pulls me out of it.

But then i remember how I watched Pod People like 10 times in high school, and needed my dad to explain the piles of references i didn't get.

steam_sig.png