Options

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

Hey, which one is this from? I remember laughing at this running gag, but not which episode.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

Hey, which one is this from? I remember laughing at this running gag, but not which episode.

Its from a lot, but I remember it from The She Creature best

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Space Mutiny is painlessly bad though

Just some schlocky, cheesy fun

Monster-A-Go-Go is pain

Invasion of the Neptune Men is pain

Red Zone Cuba is an interminable nightmare made manifest through film

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Monster-A-Go-Go is pain

"what's the hole in it for" about killed me laughing though

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Monster-A-Go-Go is pain

"I wanna hurt this movie, but I can never hurt it the way it hurt me."

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

Its from a lot, but I remember it from The She Creature best

I think my favorite callback to that gag is in the Maximilian Schell version of Hamlet in Season 10.

Hamlet: Devoutly to be wished. To die… to sleep.
    Servo: To SLEEEEEEEEEEP!!!
    Hamlet (whispering): To sleep.
    Servo (whispering/hissing): To sleeeeeeeeeep!!!

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Man I really hope this is good.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I've never really watched MST3k but I love Rifftrax. I like the few I've seen on Netflix, but I just can't get into the interstitial bits. Fortunately my girlfriend isn't crazy about them either, so we usually just skip em, but I feel kinda bad about it.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    I've never really watched MST3k but I love Rifftrax. I like the few I've seen on Netflix, but I just can't get into the interstitial bits. Fortunately my girlfriend isn't crazy about them either, so we usually just skip em, but I feel kinda bad about it.

They were less annoying as a way to go in and out of commercial breaks.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    MKR wrote: »

I've actually gotten to be more of a fan of them now than when I was a kid, but they're definitely a super-cheesy acquired taste.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    MKR wrote: »

I've actually gotten to be more of a fan of them now than when I was a kid, but they're definitely a super-cheesy acquired taste.

Nothing gets me rolling like the bits when they are standing around after the skits waiting for something to happen.

Never could tell if it was part of the joke or they just had to stretch some time.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    For the classic episodes on netflix, is there a chronological order for them already out there or will I have to actually do some work and make that list myself?

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    Netflix is all over the place, consider it a MST3K sampler.

There's a MST3K fansite that has links to YouTube and other sites for near all the old episodes, club MST3K iirc. Quality is all over the ace but if you want something going on a second monitor while you're doing something else it's serviceable.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Alexandier wrote: »
    Netflix is all over the place, consider it a MST3K sampler.

There's a MST3K fansite that has links to YouTube and other sites for near all the old episodes, club MST3K iirc. Quality is all over the ace but if you want something going on a second monitor while you're doing something else it's serviceable.

I know, but I've been watching MST3K from the beginning and watching them in the order they were made/released would make my viewing them on netflix even better.

Veevee on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Good question; don't know, but I'm sure you can get it from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mystery_Science_Theater_3000_episodes

Also, I'm ~40 minutes into Eegah!, and the cast is really starting to get rolling after a bit of a slow start. It's hard to treadmill when laughing sometimes, y'all.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    So in case anyone wanted to know, the order is

Netflix - Season/Episode - Episode Name

14 - 0202 - Sidehackers
    02 - 0204 - Catalina Caper
    11 - 0303 - Pod People
    13 - 0321 - Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
    17 - 0402 - The Giant Gila Monster
    16 - 0404 - Teenagers From Space
    05 - 0410 - Hercules Against the Moon Men
    01 - 0424 - "Manos" The Hands of Fate
    03 - 0506 - Eegah!
    07 - 0507 - I Accuse My Parents
    20 - 0604 - Zombie Nightmare
    09 - 0706 - Laserblast
    08 - 0813 - Jack Frost
    15 - 0820 - Space Mutiny
    18 - 0821 - Time Chasers
    12 - 0903 - The Pumaman
    19 - 0904 - Werewolf
    10 - 1003 - Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders
    04 - 1004 - Future War
    06 - 1011 - Horrors of Spider Island

Veevee on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Pyumayman.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Sidehackers was way more entertaining than it should have been. I think one of my favorites was Cavedwellers, though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    1101 is very good! The opening sequence was kind of in an "uncanny valley" for me between charmingly low-budget and just cheesy, but the rest was solid throughout. Looking forward to the rest.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    JonBob wrote: »
    1101 is very good! The opening sequence was kind of in an "uncanny valley" for me between charmingly low-budget and just cheesy, but the rest was solid throughout. Looking forward to the rest.

Yeah I agree. I think the only things I did not like were the weird "kind of sort of" commercial break things where Patton Osward would make some quip with that band playing then it'd cut back to the show (what was the point of these? Possible future syndication?) and Gypsy's interruptions. With Gypsy it was like, she said one or two words then left, and her shadow was so huge it was actually a distraction. I think they need to at least keep her out there a bit longer, and possibly change the shadow so you don't have this giant ass tube hanging from the ceiling covering almost the entire screen.

The rest was very good though. Actually liked the new cast quite a bit. Felicia Day was so-so, but mostly fine. Did think the beginning was a little weirdly jarring where they went from backstory to "oh and now it's 2 months later all of a sudden" but I guess you only have that problem once :P
    Also was there a freaking Breath of the Wild joke in there? Maybe it was referencing something else, but everyone is shooting at the monster and they say "You're going to waste all your ammo, then you'll have to run around looking for healing herbs and treasure chests!" (I'm probably wrong, especially given the timing, but man it seemed like it :P)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I find Felicia Day to be a bit overrated in general so my expectations are low. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    It sounds like you guys watched the first episode already; were you kickstarter backers? Netflix says it's not up until April 14th, just curious if I missed something.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Kickstarter backers get advanced screening today

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Ok just watched the first new sode. Pretty good! The new opening kicked me right in the nostalgia. I think without the nostalgia factor it's a pretty average MST3K entry, which to me is a good sign because it suggests the new crew knew what they were doing right off the bat, and this new season ought to give us at least a couple gold standard MST3K episodes. The new show also has the advantage of having much newer references, which I think is going to make it a lot more accessible in general. Love the look too, it's high def but definitely has that home-made quality. You get the impression the folks involved were passionate about what they were doing.

Oh and it was neat to see my name in the credits, too.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Wow, enjoyed that quite a bit! Really solid considering it's the first episode. Looking forward to see the next episodes when they refine things. I was pretty skeptical going in, but this has got me excited for more.

The only thing that stood out as a problem for me is there didn't seem to be much distinction between the three riffers (both personality-wise and in how their voices sounded). A lot of times it was just a big barrage of riffs where I couldn't really differentiate between who was riffing. That's something that should develop as they do more episodes, though.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, that was pretty damn good. They need to get a bit smoother with the host segments and mads' contributions (though I liked the monster song,) but the riffing is pretty on track for so early in the series. Sadly, since the Kickstarters are barely into the (deadly) B's, it will be half the season before my name comes up.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that was pretty damn good. They need to get a bit smoother with the host segments and mads' contributions (though I liked the monster song,) but the riffing is pretty on track for so early in the series. Sadly, since the Kickstarters are barely into the (deadly) B's, it will be half the season before my name comes up.

I'm an R. How do you think I feel? ;)

That said, it just means you'll have your name attached to an episode after they hit their stride.

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    The host segments were easily some of the best. The jokes were a lot slower in the coming than your average Rifftrax, especially earlier in the movie. I'm hoping things pick up for the rest of the season. I'll be interested to see what the "ratings" are once it releases on Friday, since this show has more niche appeal than a Stranger Things or Marvel series.

I will say, though:
    The remixed theme song hit me in the feels, and the new door sequence is slick as shit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Question: How audible is the movie they're riffing? It's the one complaint my wife has about the classic mst3k, because she can't hear the awful movie it distracts her from hearing the jokes.

Veevee on
  • Options
    They actually seem to talk over dialogue a whole lot less than classic MST3K or Rifftrax, in my estimate.

• Options
    Is Netflix releasing all episodes at once?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I think in one of the updates Joel said they made a point of trying to get films that were at least semi competent production wise, the fact that everything is HD now probably helps, rather than rips of rips

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Is Netflix releasing all episodes at once?

Yep. I think I read that Joel said it was one point Netflix wouldn't budge on.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    They released a kickstarter update that said we shouldn't talk about the episode until it's on Netflix. That would have been nice to know before we talked about it :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    They released a kickstarter update that said we shouldn't talk about the episode until it's on Netflix. That would have been nice to know before we talked about it :P

I know why it's important to do so, but I am amused that the fandom whose rallying cry and mantra was "Keep circulating the tapes" has now changed to "Please don't circulate the tapes."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    They don't mean episode 1, they just dropped the whole season on the kickstarter site.

• Options
    Well now the show's continued existence depends upon how many people watch it legally on Netflix. In the days of VHS showing someone some episodes would make them fall in love with the show and make them want to tune in next week. Now you can download the entire season in a couple hours and as far as Netflix is concerned that's someone who never watched.

• Options
  • Options
    Even though I'm a backer I still plan to watch the rest of the season on Netflix just to give them ratings or whatever.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Have it in the background when you... SLEEEEEEEEP