Options

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Even though I'm a backer I still plan to watch the rest of the season on Netflix just to give them ratings or whatever.

I probably will just because I have no way to watch this VHX thing on my actual TV which is annoying. I watched the first episode on my computer but that's less than ideal when each episode is almost 2 hours, especially for all of them

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    I have large swaths of my weekend carved out to get in as many episodes as I can.

Watched the first episode and loved it. The movie was terrible and had weird things going on with the characters. The riffs were rapid and some were so nerdy I don't know that anyone else that would have laughed at them. Water bears!

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    Wow. I was gonna try to limit myself to just 1 episode a day. I just finished episode 4.

I'm really bad at this.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna start watching tonight I think.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'm about half way through the first episode. I had to stop because it was making me chuckle too loudly and I fear waking my daughter from her nap, and then we started doing other stuff. I'll finish it tonight, probably do another episode because I won't be able to help myself.

It's not bad! Yippee!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The new voices will take getting used to but overall I was pleased with the first episode.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Wow. I was gonna try to limit myself to just 1 episode a day. I just finished episode 4.

I'm really bad at this.

This is a pretty good recommendation, at least!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Just made it through episode 2.

It's so good.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    On the second episode, I kind of wish there were some longer host segments, but I think that's because I liked the scifi era stuff.

I also think they may be riffing a little too much. I like the Joel episodes were they would occasionally be quiet and let the movie just be stupid on it's own. I'd rather have 1 really good joke a minute then 5 ok jokes.

Still pretty good so far. Is this the best revival of anything ever?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Delightful to see Brain Guy, Bobo and Pearl again. It's flimsy fan service, but it's hits me right in my nostalgia button.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I find it a little weird how they occasionally stop to let you know you're watching MST3K as though preparing for a commercial break... and then there's no commercial... since... it's Netflix.

• Options
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Delightful to see Brain Guy, Bobo and Pearl again. It's flimsy fan service, but it's hits me right in my nostalgia button.

Episode 2:
    I liked seeing them too, though the Bobo mask looked really off to me. Kinda creepy - less Planet of the Apes, more weird ape/man hybrid.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I find it a little weird how they occasionally stop to let you know you're watching MST3K as though preparing for a commercial break... and then there's no commercial... since... it's Netflix.

It's a throwback joke to the old station breaks they used to do.

I like them.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

can... can this be season 2?

• Options
    Episode 2 was really, really good

• Options
    I actually don't like when they riff on "good stuff", like the oscar stuff they used to do. Good in small doses, but one of the reasons I didn't get a lot of Rifftrax stuff is for me the bad movie is a big part of the fun.

Episode 2:
    I liked seeing them too, though the Bobo mask looked really off to me. Kinda creepy - less Planet of the Apes, more weird ape/man hybrid.
    Combination of Kevin Murphy being 20 years old and having lost some weight.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The new episodes have been nothing but gold for me so far. The visual quality being vastly improved is a nice bonus, but the writing and riffing, to me, seems pretty improved across the board compared to the original series. The old shows have some great moments in them, sure, but there's also a fair show of low moments and things that are so bad they don't even riff well. The campiness of the sets and props is also nicely present; I love that they went with the crude model miniatures for all the space bits.

I'm also pretty surprised that they really stuck with digging up old movies for the series; I've deliberately not been looking for info about the new show, and I was wondering if they were going to shift to more modern B movies or something. I was thinking "how many crappy old scifi movies could there be that they haven't done yet?" and it turns out the answer is "plenty".
    I actually don't like when they riff on "good stuff", like the oscar stuff they used to do. Good in small doses, but one of the reasons I didn't get a lot of Rifftrax stuff is for me the bad movie is a big part of the fun.

While that Stranger Things bit was excellent and I would love to see them do that for the whole season if they could keep up the quality, the beauty of a Netflix/MST3K partnership is that Netflix can recover shitty originals by letting MST3K take a crack at them. There would be a wonderful symmetry to it, in that Netflix would be producing the crappy stuff that they then get viewers for by letting it get riffed on, on their own site.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Hahaha. Favorite line of Episode 2:
    "Son, it might just be the brain injury talking but... I submarine lightbulb."

RT800 on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    What in the holy hell was Cry Wilderness?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Episode 2 was really, really good

I really, really hope Amulet of Eagle Blinding becomes a meme.
    Aegis wrote: »
    What in the holy hell was Cry Wilderness?

A reason that I still hate most child actors in/and ham-fisted stories about the-innocence-of-children-even-though-the-child-was-a-total-shithead.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    No jokes about the schlitz beer? -1 point.

• Options
    Halfway through episode 3, I'm enjoying that Jonah's robots in the intermission vaguely resemble Megazord.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Was not a backer, but I'm pleased by the quality so far after episode 2. The new voices were a bit of a shell shock, but I was past that by the point in episode 1 where
    the inexplicable nitwit character deliberately gets himself shocked by an electric eel because... physical comedy? What a strange movie that was.

I do think it was an odd choice to start the show as an origin then randomly jump cut to two months later to avoid actually discussing the situation they just created.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    They've got the right weird charm and enthusiasm going.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. They really should have started with episode two's film.

Still, I do get that they went with the monster movie out of tradition.

What is up with the liquid stuff? Is it supposed to be like they are using some kind of liquid broadcast technology?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Episode 1 started slow, but boy once the monster showed up and that film went full HAM... grade A until the end.
    In Denmark, Beatles chase you!
    I can't decide, it all looks so good!
    That's one epic D&D game.

That entire sequence was amazing.

Gypsy showing up was weird. What was the case she brought then took away?

Love the Bonehead band interludes.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Patton Oswalt making up his own lyrics to the credits music at the end of episode 2 had me in stitches

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    These episodes get better and better as it goes on

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Episode 2... Those raccoons. Madness. Was almost hoping for a Bud Light reference during the coke scene.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Ep 6 spoilers
    oh man that UFO song, and that robot with the texan accent

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I'm three episodes in now. On the MST3k scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is a bad KTMA episode and 10 is Colossus Vs The Headhunters, I'd rank them:

Ep 1: 5
    Ep 2: 3
    Ep 3: 6

They're new to this, and it may take some time for them to work out from under the shadow of their predecessors, but they can make this thing work. After all, it was season 3 before Joel really caught his stride, and Mike needed a breaking in period too.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I never saw the originals, being a small child when they came out and most of the references seems like they would be too old for me, but I watched the first episode last night because I love Patton Oswalt and Felicia Day...

It's alright. I was expecting more jokes but it was like I was watching the monster movie then every now and thien got reminded that it was MST3K when someone started talking or the breaks. I might give it a few more episodes since the first are always rough for any show, but I kinda feel like this show's premise is outdated. The jokes were good, just not enough of them.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Knee-jerk reaction mid way through Reptilicus

I don't like Servo's new voice, but it reminds me of the really early years voice (Josh Weinstein?) IDK. Its too dissimilar from Kevin Murphy who's completely become Servo at this point for me. Its fine though, I'll get used to it.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Episode 5 - That has to be top billing for one of the most random and sudden tonal shifts I've seen in a movie. Generic Western for an hour and then SUDDENLY MONSTER JUST BECAUSE

Donnicton on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Ep 6 spoilers
    oh man that UFO song, and that robot with the texan accent

Just got to this episode
    "No, I must obey destiny"

What does that even mean?

"She lost the will to live!"

I am weirdly impressed by the movie's special effects though, it's like every scene is the cover of an Atari 2600 cartridge.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    REPTILICUS 6-5000
    "One night in Denmark makes a hard hmm mmmphmmm..."

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    That musical bit in Episode 1 is when I felt like, okay, this was a good idea.

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    I never saw the originals, being a small child when they came out and most of the references seems like they would be too old for me, but I watched the first episode last night because I love Patton Oswalt and Felicia Day...

It's alright. I was expecting more jokes but it was like I was watching the monster movie then every now and thien got reminded that it was MST3K when someone started talking or the breaks. I might give it a few more episodes since the first are always rough for any show, but I kinda feel like this show's premise is outdated. The jokes were good, just not enough of them.

I'd recommend "I Accuse My Parents" (also streaming on Netflix) as the best "gateway" episode to MST3K. I'd argue it's one of the best of the series, period, but there aren't a ton of obscure references in the movie, the short is great, and the live segments ( which can be really hit or miss) are on point .

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Just got through episode 2 and nearly bust my stitches laughing (seiously, I had my gallbladder removed yesterday). I hope they keep this level of goodness up the whole season and get a season 2 out of Netflix.

On the interludes, I would imagine during filming of this season they did not know yet whether they would be on actual TV with commercial breaks or something else.

The only new voice I don't like is Gypsy. I miss her old doofy voice.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg