Options

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Started watching this after seeing this thread and having seen the Pumaman episode on some random stream years ago.

Manos: The Hands of Fate is such a heap of shit oh my god.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Manos is so terrible that I don't even enjoy watching it with the riffs.

I understand why the episode is famous but I think the movie is so bad and gross that it's not a good episode.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I'm surprised how little time it took me to get used to the new voices and stuff

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Manos: The Hands of Fate is such a heap of shit oh my god.

The Master would not like to hear you say such things.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Wait, people hate Manos?

The only movie that was so terrible there have been 3 distinct riffs of it all with unique and different material?

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    There have been three different riffs on Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, too, if you count Cinematic Titanic along with MST3K and Rifftrax.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I almost spit out my milk in episode 2 at
    "someone was sasquatching their every move"

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The only new voice I don't like is Gypsy. I miss her old doofy voice.

Mind you Gypsy has been voiced by like four different people over the course of the show :bzz:

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    There have been three different riffs on Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, too, if you count Cinematic Titanic along with MST3K and Rifftrax.

Oh right, I forgot about that one.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt were perfect choices.

• Options
    Episode 9 is probably competing with episode 2 for my favorite of the season so far.
    "Toonces, no!"

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Episode 2 question:
    Is the Pearl clone played by Mary Jo Pehl as well, or is it just someone who looks remarkably like her? I couldn't quite tell...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Could be that they're doing the "commercial breaks" just in case they do end up on broadcast TV, in which case it will be trivially easy to work the show in the usual broadcast format.

I know streaming is in a big rush to make broadcast TV obsolete, but MST3K did spend dozen and dozens of episodes on regular TV so I could see them wanting to keep that option open.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Could be that they're doing the "commercial breaks" just in case they do end up on broadcast TV, in which case it will be trivially easy to work the show in the usual broadcast format.

I know streaming is in a big rush to make broadcast TV obsolete, but MST3K did spend dozen and dozens of episodes on regular TV so I could see them wanting to keep that option open.

I just took it to be a running gag on the show.

The goal of the new bad guys is getting ratings, so it's like they are doing a tv broadcast and they interrupt for commercials that never come

it makes me chuckle

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    5 episodes in and I'm loving it. The new voices take some getting used to, especially Tom Servo, whose voice seems the most different than his predecessor. But the general tone and sense of humor haven't changed at all. Aside from the different voices and modern references, these could've come from a decade ago. Also a good sign that episode 2 already belongs on the MST3K must watch list.

Also man was episode five weird. A straightforward western then in the last ten minutes a cowboy fights a dinosaur.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The bobcat joke in ep 2 made me lose my shit.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Episode 11(Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II) - good god I don't think they could have cast more uncharismatic main characters if they tried.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    What does Gypsy keep bringing in/picking up?

• Options
    I don't believe they've said yet.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    The Interoceter callback in episode 2 made me laugh.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Episode 3 was a truly awful movie, not even funny bad... just bad.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Oh my lord, Episode 4 - Avalanche is amazing.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Someone on twitter mentioned some of the jokes are happening BEFORE the bit in the movie they are mocking actually starts and now I can't un-notice it.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Someone on twitter mentioned some of the jokes are happening BEFORE the bit in the movie they are mocking actually starts and now I can't un-notice it.

It's because of how it was edited. I noticed it during Cry Wilderness when the raccoon spills the milk.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Someone on twitter mentioned...

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show,
    I should really just relax..."

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    My favorite part of episode 2 was
    BANG every single time.

Really digging this so far, but also a big fan of Jonah Ray and Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt and it's just so much fun.

Only seen two episodes and loved both of them.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Oh man episode 11 - This kind of reinforces the idea that I don't think there's a movie in existence where David Carradine isn't reciting all of his lines in a vaguely conscious drunken stupor.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    My favorite part of episode 2 was
    BANG every single time.

Really digging this so far, but also a big fan of Jonah Ray and Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt and it's just so much fun.

Only seen two episodes and loved both of them.

Watch out for my three legged bear plate

It casts no reflection and it may be cursed

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna need Netflix to go ahead and renew this and for them to make double this amount of eps next season since the cost of building a set and puppets and shit is already done

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I'm gonna need Netflix to go ahead and renew this and for them to make double this amount of eps next season since the cost of building a set and puppets and shit is already done

Also if they could just get way way more episodes of the original series that'd be great.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    OMG StarCrash! I am laughing so hard at this...

I lost it at
    "Glinda the Good Witch is multiplying at an alarming rate!"
    Hahaha... also
    "when did she change into vampire lingerie?"

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

I lost it at
    Hahaha... also
    Did she lose clothes in the jump to hyperspace?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Donnicton wrote: »

I lost it at
    Hahaha... also
    Did she lose clothes in the jump to hyperspace?

Hahaha I just got to that part... laughing so hard... I think this is easily the best one so far...

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I keep thinking Patton Oswalt is such a trooper. They must have been filming this not long after his wife passed.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    My wife and I are two episodes in, but I think my favorite joke so far is still from the first episode;
    He'll be here in about an hour.
    Well why'd he send a telegram then?!?

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

It's because of how it was edited. I noticed it during Cry Wilderness when the raccoon spills the milk.

Its always been that way too though

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Episode 11(Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II) - good god I don't think they could have cast more uncharismatic main characters if they tried.

Does this include Deathstalker? Which was inexplicably the third movie in a four movie series. Leonard Maltin's reviews of them are pretty funny IIRC.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Avalanche is my favorite so far.

"I can't believe hitting on an underage girl is my last act"
    "Ok bought some time there. Now to do a good deed."

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

I noticed it in the previous eras of MST3K, which is how I learned that only the first season was improv.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Why was the dad's voice dubbed in Cry Wilderness when it seemed like nobody else was? It was driving me crazy during the entire movie.