As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stumped on a computer build issue

MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
Here's the situation. I'm building two identical computers. The first one I get put together and when starting it up I get no video using both the VGA and DVI ports and there are no error codes. I troubleshoot all the regulars first. I try the ram for #2, no change, I try the CPU for #2, no change, I try the motherboard from #2, no change. I even tried a 3rd motherboard which I had set aside for another build, no change. I then proceed to go ahead with the build of #2 and everything works fine with it.

My next guess is that it is the power supply so I order in a new one, get it yesterday and swap it, of course there is still no change, same blank screen and no beep codes. I have gone through everything except for a second case on this thing as well as 3 motherboards and 3 PSUs. Are there any ideas of what I may be missing? I've triple checked all PSU connections to the motherboard as well as the case to board connections and everything is well seated. I'd rather avoid wasting time with another case as I have never seen an issue with a boot being related to the case. Any ideas?

iRevert wrote: »
Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
Steam: MyiagrosX27

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Have you tried plugging in the monitor into the motherboard's VGA port?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    That's what's being used, there is no pci-e card. Both the onboard DVI and VGA give the same result.

Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Strange. Maybe try another monitor? I know the other PC you built works but hm.

Also check the pins on the motherboard/cpu to make sure none are bent. You can realign them with a box cutter if you've got steady hands.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Is it starting at all? Perhaps you're not properly grounded?

Is the 4 pin (or 6 or 8 depending on your mobo) power properly connected?

Do you have anything in any of the PCI(e) slots? That sometimes disables the onboard video (thinking you're using a stand alone video card).

If you remove the RAM and power up, do you get the error beep from your mobo?

4pin is connected. It does turn on, fans spin, lights turn on. PCIe slots are completely empty. I've also pulled the RAM and don't get any beep codes. This is the 2nd motherboard and 2nd PSU I've tried in this case, I'm thinking I'll pull the mobo tomorrow and try it while not mounted to see if there is a short somewhere although I can't see any right now.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Any chance you have a fan header plugged into the mobo? When I did that, my pc would spin up like it would be turning on but wouldn't boot. Unplugging the fan from the board fixed it

camo_sig.png
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Strange, you should get some beeps with the RAM missing.

Any chance the 'Clear CMOS' jumper is shorted? That might prevent a boot.

What's the make and model of the mobo?

UEFI bios tend not to beep, at least the few I've encounter.

Board is a Biostar B75MU3B. The other build used the exact same board. I have also tried an Asus H61M-E and had the same problem.

• DaveheadDavehead Sitting at my computerRegistered User regular
    It sounds like an issue with the case then. Something shorting the motherboard after it is mounted perhaps?

Just got around to trying it without being mounted in the case and still nothing. Going to RMA the CPU through Intel and hopefully that one works. I've had shorted motherboards before and they tend not to spin up and keep going like this is.