As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSO2] Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis is essentially PSO3!

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Dang there is a lot of out of date info out there for this game. I had a plan to level both Braver and Force so that I could unlock Techer but now I see that I can just be a Techer.

Anyway I just got to level 20, and unlocked subclasses. On this character, I'd like to be a Force/Tech or Tech/Force.

Are there any non-obvious things a complete newbie should be aware of, in terms of missions or turn ins for good gear?

I am already resolved not to start eating any XP boosters until the 40's. But when is a good time to pop that free 1,000,000 XP? -- I'm thinking it's a good way to put my subclass on parity with my class.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    If ever you find that you have the choice between a tiny Gundam or a Killer-doll, remember, why not both?
    3COitTH.jpg

Quite enjoying the ranger and braver. The new ranger skills add a great deal, in particular. Really adds some flavor. You know how robots with guns are required to do the roller derby thing, skating around while shooting? That's in, now. Also your launcher is a jet bike. A+ would agonize over which wings to buy for my gundam again.

My favorite tip thus far was learning that there's a gentleman seated in the center of the ship Cafe who will award 100 000 Meseta, weekly, for rare gathering items from each biome. The trick is that those items are only likely to drop if you have some sort of gathering boost running, so you might eat a Tomato Salad, start fishing until you trigger FEVER, then pounce on a mining node and go wild.

If you're lucky, you can get multiple items and drop them in your global inventory, then turn them in on each character that hasn't yet. For your first time completing his quest, you'll earn 200 000 as a mission bonus. Again, per character.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »
    If ever you find that you have the choice between a tiny Gundam or a Killer-doll, remember, why not both?
    3COitTH.jpg

Quite enjoying the ranger and braver. The new ranger skills add a great deal, in particular. Really adds some flavor. You know how robots with guns are required to do the roller derby thing, skating around while shooting? That's in, now. Also your launcher is a jet bike. A+ would agonize over which wings to buy for my gundam again.

My favorite tip thus far was learning that there's a gentleman seated in the center of the ship Cafe who will award 100 000 Meseta, weekly, for rare gathering items from each biome. The trick is that those items are only likely to drop if you have some sort of gathering boost running, so you might eat a Tomato Salad, start fishing until you trigger FEVER, then pounce on a mining node and go wild.

If you're lucky, you can get multiple items and drop them in your global inventory, then turn them in on each character that hasn't yet. For your first time completing his quest, you'll earn 200 000 as a mission bonus. Again, per character.

Nice, I hadn't thought about turning in those rare gathers on a per character basis. But that had me thinking... is there some of counter measure that prevents someone from exceeding the 3 mags (1 per character) freebies by just deleting one of the characters and making them level 10?

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    user wrote: »
    Nice, I hadn't thought about turning in those rare gathers on a per character basis. But that had me thinking... is there some of counter measure that prevents someone from exceeding the 3 mags (1 per character) freebies by just deleting one of the characters and making them level 10?

Can't transfer Mags between characters, I'm pretty sure.

Also, I am having more fun decorating my Personal Quarters to look like a factory than I am actually crafting stuff. The crafting line cooldowns put a bigger damper on my enthusiasm than Warframe's timers ever did.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I am very disappointed to learn that subclasses do not give you access to new weapon types.
    Mind you, directing a tiny to medium sized animals to murder everything on screen with a conductors baton is fun in a silly way, but i kinda hoped for a backup gun (no, gunblades don't count).

The inventory is super tiny compared to how much stuff i keep being handed to, not unplayably so, but having to stop mid mission to send stuff to storage is annoying, if i stick around, i will have to spend money on inventory expansion.

• Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    You can also do Yerke's client orders to qualify for the weekly quest of 1 million meseta as well. You would only have to turn in two of his orders on each character over 50 for it. I never have time to play all my alts so it works quite well.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Is that two separate Turkish there because I don't remember seeing a spot where you could see more than one character at a time on the character selection screen

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    My gundam cropped really well using paint 3D, so I had him sneak in.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Ianator wrote: »
    user wrote: »

Can't transfer Mags between characters, I'm pretty sure.

Also, I am having more fun decorating my Personal Quarters to look like a factory than I am actually crafting stuff. The crafting line cooldowns put a bigger damper on my enthusiasm than Warframe's timers ever did.

Natch, that's 100% right dang. Okay well it was only 3 bucks and that's worth the nostalgia alone. Gonna do a pure Tech and a pure Dex.

I was very happy to see that the subclass gets some XP too.

I have no idea if I want to be a Force sub Techer or a Techer sub Force. But there doesn't seem to be any Photon Arts for Wands so I'm not sure I really 'get' Techer.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Bear in mind that you can cast from your hot bar as well as your weapon bars. With Techter you're likely to be beating things to death with your wand a lot, and running awesome buffs for all.

Have a look at the practice quests, they outline the most immediately pertinent mechanics and combos to get started, like this spell to gather, then hit them all with the beating stick.

There is some mechanic to use cross class weapons eventually, yeah? I could swear I've seen techs using swords to solo bosses.

I have found all class weapons for sale.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    I did just drill into the Techer tree, and I see that they have a lot of emphasis on greatly enhancing their normal wand strikes. I'm sure in practice it's good damage, but in a game that has flying, twirling, light show photon arts. It just seems kinda dull.

Not for me, I guess. Still the idea of maining Force and going Techer as a subclass and being excellent in all 6 elemental offensive techniques seems good to me.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    There's a few weapons in each group (Lambda series I think and a few others) that are class agnostic, and every class can use Gunblade.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I saw that footage came out of the gunblade focused class.

Very beam swordy, and all about stances modifying your skills.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Newbie question: Items on my quickbar (the bar at the bottom of the screen) with numbers from 1 to 0 below them... how do I use them? I can move the cursor between them using right and left on the d-pad. But I can't seem to activate them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    Newbie question: Items on my quickbar (the bar at the bottom of the screen) with numbers from 1 to 0 below them... how do I use them? I can move the cursor between them using right and left on the d-pad. But I can't seem to activate them.

For me it's clicking the left stick that does it.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »
    Fiskebent wrote: »

For me it's clicking the left stick that does it.

Thanks!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So I reinstalled this now it's on steam and seems to have sorted its issues out. I didn't really play through much of the story the first time around (because god it's just all bad cutscenes) so I'm honestly totally confused why the new zones seem to be just...earth? Like regular modern-day Tokyo but with T-rexes and bears?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    What I gathered from quest chatter and loot descriptions is that there is some unfortunate parallel universe fuckery ongoing.

This is what happens when a Dead Orbit colony fleet manufactures light-bearers and throws them through a bootleg Vex gate network to plunder far-flung worlds.

The darkness might not be wrong in suggesting that its time to stop.

But uh, don't say that out loud. I'm pretty sure the lobotomized counter exos report everything they hear to the ministry of friendship-
    "A FULL MAG IS A HAPPY MAG."
    "EVEN IN DEATH, I SERVE."

Shit. Um. Right, here goes:

Hey friend! Live concert at the market. All ARKS operatives should attend. Fun is mandatory! We've got an op on a factory world scheduled immediately thereafter. Bring your looting pants. Kill everything that moves.

Remember, Falspawn can't corrupt the dead.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    So, how important is gear in this game?
    Because i am level 48 summoner now, and i'm not sure how level appropriate my gear is as most of my xp was gained from tickets.
    Though i suspect the fact i am a summoner somewhat makes gear less important as long as i keep my pets levelled.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    So, how important is gear in this game?
    Because i am level 48 summoner now, and i'm not sure how level appropriate my gear is as most of my xp was gained from tickets.
    Though i suspect the fact i am a summoner somewhat makes gear less important as long as i keep my pets levelled.

On summoner your gear is... pretty much irrelevant, it's all about pet level and candy box. You'll want to start looking at Pietro's weeklies for some of the useful candy there. The collection sheets are also invaluable for getting rarity bumps for your pets since they can get you guaranteed eggs of higher rarities... just not in light. But rarity upgrade doesn't change element. The pancakes are the important one for candy box iirc - a triple stack pancake is the single biggest damage boost you can add.

Light is basically the only element you ever want on 90% of classes (Force has an edge case I think), because falspawn are all weak to light and show up everywhere, and element percentage still increases damage against everything else (Weapon damage * (1+element) * weakness, basically - if they're not weak you just have a 1 for weakness but element % applies still).

For other classes... yeah gear matters a lot in two ways. First is of course raw attack (and affixes are mainly used for cranking more attack stat and PP max on basically everything), second is potentials (which DO matter for summoner, but only at like 70+ when you can actually start getting other harmonizers) since those are often % boosts to things.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Can i change the element of my pets after hatching?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Not really. There's a candy for it but it requires an item from the gacha to trade for it (and eats space in the box). If you haven't done anything but put levels into them it's easy to start over, but... the main thing is just that light is the most common weakness by far.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Well, i guess i need to start hunting for some eggs.
    Or not, probably not super relevant for someone doing story and solo explorations.
    Maybe once i start thinking of teaming up and finding an alliance.

• Options
    So, i have been playing the story (still in episode 1), and i have noticed one thing.
    I have no idea what is going on. 0.o
    There's something about a broken weapon (that just got stolen), some weird dudes in badass suites, a psycho ally and his domestically abused partner, somekind of dragon and a girl who hunts it, amnesiac girl in white who never talks to anyone but me, scientist obsessed with dragon people, someweird lady who occasionally comes and talks about probability and destiny for some reason, small rabbit people, and so many other things...
    And i have no idea how, or if, these things tie up.
    In fact, i am not even clear on what i am, ARKS, what is that? What are the Fallspawn? Why do we live in ships?
    The story is told in individual snippets that barely relate to each other, if at all, less an adventure and more like a slice of life story in some ways.
    And at no point is anything explained (except in the exposition twin snippets, that are often not very informative).
    And yet, i find this story telling style somewhat engaging for some odd reason.
    I have also decided that my character is just as confused with everything as i am, and just going along with it and giving a stoic air and keeping her mouth shut in hopes that stuff starts to make sense at some point.

Also, Afin is such an anime protagonist.
    Is this his story and i'm just an observer?
    I suspect not, but part of me wish it was.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    That is pretty much episode 1 yeah, it's a mess even setting aside that they're throwing out like 10 different plot threads. Alfin is not the protagonist, he's just you "new guy NPC to ask setting-establishing questions on your non-voice-acted protagonist behalf" except they forgot to do that past the tutorial mission. It never really stops being a mess but it gets a little more coherent towards the end of episode 1 and on into episode 2?

As for backstory on the setting and the falspawn, I think you're supposed to know it from the rest of the Phantasy Star franchise? I don't get it either since I've never played anything but a bit of PSO1 and this.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Alfin may not be a protagonist, but he sure as hell should be, or atleast the hero, he would be a perfect fit for an anime everyman protagonist turned hero.
    And i could easily see my character as the big sister/mentor figure.
    This picture is probably helped a lot by the fact that i made almost tallest possible space elf i could (digging the fairly large variation between character heights).

Not sure if i want the story to become more coherent, kinda digging the wtf factor of all of this.
    But i guess it would probably get old eventually.

• Options
    So I'm 40/40ish on my Force and Techer. I'm really curious about cracking into crafting but it seems just out of reach for my resources at the moment.

I have no idea how to progress it and learn new recipes -- a guide I saw said that the dailies would be a good place to start but for a few days now the crafting dailies have been all Technique discs, which I haven't got the recipes for -- I'm stumped.

• Options
    I don't even know where to get the PA fragment thingies.

• Options
    I was able to get at least a small amount from just doing some of those introductory Arks Quests the ones in your Quest menu.

I understand where to get more, they come from dismantling Discs that are level 11 or higher, but I'm just on the cusp of getting those.

• Options
    I'm lost on crafting priorities even with the Achievements page to guide me. What should I prioritize unlocking first? Where can I effectively grind for desynth item x?

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited August 2020

The fragments are traded for in a store with excubes, the on level up currency generated by leveling after cap, too.

I was deeply amused to learn that I can recruit friend characters as NPCs. Ian has been zooming around with my gundam. They make an amusing duo, as they represent different styles of giant robot. I'll take a picture later.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »

The fragments are traded for in a store with excubes, the on level up currency generated by leveling after cap, too.

I was deeply amused to learn that I can recruit friend characters as NPCs. Ian has been zooming around with my gundam. They make an amusing duo, as they represent different styles of giant robot. I'll take a picture later.

Trading EX-Cubes for PA Fragments can be a bit pricey in comparison to how many Lv11+ discs you can get from Urgent Quests.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    The story used to be told via a "Matter Board" system of nodes. Unlocking the nodes on each board required doing tasks on each planet, and viewing side events that filled in many details about the game setting and events, but also wasted a lot of the players' time with event node RNG, enemy spawn RNG, and item drop RNG affecting many of those unlocks. As of Episode 4 in JP they removed the entire Matter Board system for the current "Story Board" menu.

The Story Board regrettably defaults to the "Unfinished Quests" view, which makes Ep 1-3 feel a lot less cohesive. I instead recommend viewing Ep1-3 chapter-by-chapter. This lists the side-scenes originally meant to be viewed during that chapter. That should improve cohesion, since seeing the main and most side story bits listed together is much closer to the original experience.

I say "most" because Ep1-3 also had large amounts of scenes for each NPC's personal storyline. They were typically optional nodes on the Matter Boards but are now removed to the Event Chronicle (JP) at the gray Room terminal in your Personal Quarters (NA)/My Room (JP).

Edit:
    Matter Boards were an interesting attempt at integrating the story into gameplay, as well as creating a sense of time and place for related/contemporary events. They suffered from poor implementation and confusing presentation, which lead to them being removed years before NA launched. Details and screens in spoiler.
    pbwa6oc2l6dn.jpg
    Xion would give you boards covered in branching nodes to be unlocked. Each node represented a task, quest, or scene to be completed. Your goal was to unlock the path to each story quest or scene (the yellow nodes). Clear all the yellow nodes to clear the board and advance to the next chapter and Matter Board. It represented both the time travel ability she gave you and her guidance to shape or reshape events. By thinning out some enemies here, meeting someone there, and participating in major events, you would shape/reshape the future.

The issues with it were thus:
    - Events required going on a quest to the appropriate planet, or around the ARKS ship, to find event markers (pictured below). Outside the ship, they didn't have a 100% spawn rate and could appear anywhere in the stage, wasting lots of time. xcrogybv2zud.jpg
    - Events interrupted the viewing player, even in a party. Others would just see your character standing with the busy icon overhead until you finished.
    - Filling the gauge of enemies to kill for a drop wasn't enough. Once the gauge was full you still had to keep going until you randomly got the drop.
    - The drops were old-type generic weapons. Old-type weapons (which don't exist in NA) use the same failure-prone grind system units do, but with painful failure rates. Generic items also haven't been useful since Ep 2.

Matter Boards got a facelift and big QoL changes during JP Ep 3, before going away completely in JP Ep 4. They fixed the drops to be 100% from the very first enemy. Pictured above is the updated EP 3 iconography. They were originally as shown below. Node icons, their connections, and even the start node were indistinct; inscrutable at a glance.
    k8kwlh4d0kt6.jpg
    They also updated the drops and re-awarded everyone who'd already cleared the nodes; showed up at the visiphone in several massive waves of loot. I personally felt they had fixed the system and just needed a solid tutorial, but they soon became a thing of the past, mostly for the better.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    I have finished Episode 1, atleast there are end credits rolling.
    And i have no idea wtf is going on. 0.o
    Well, bit hyperbolic there, i have some idea, but the story is being told in a very disjointed manner, and i'm so here for it.
    So, in retrospect.
    Afin continues to be an anime protagonist.
    Gettemhult was a complete psycho (also monster or moron) and the ARKS ops need some actual therapy, also psychological screening.
    The whole story involving him and Melfonseana/Melrandia was very uncomfortable.
    I hate what happened to Theodores childhood friend, how does this game make me so sad for someone whose name i can't even remember.
    The moment i saw Luther, i was certain that everything would be better if i just killed them right there, pity it was not an option.
    And then game more or less confirmed it through npc dialogue.

I do wish the writers did not feel it necessary to make it so obvious that someone is a bad guy, it just makes everyone look bad.

I did enjoy Quna and Haddred storyline, how is Aki involved? Not sure, but eager to find out.
    Oh, enjoyed meeting Aki as well.
    Also, wtf happened with the Dark Falz the elder? And did we ever find Zeno?
    And so many other things i could talk about, but not going to bother, even if largely because i can't remember everyones names.

The way the story is told is, weird, and i suspect unintentionally so.
    But it is odly enjoyable.
    This might be one of better written mmo's i have played, even if by accident.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Answers to a few questions:
    Aki was directly involved in the Draconian modification experiments, including those that created the Chrome Dragons (including Haddred).
    Dark Falz Elder is still out there. You haven't seen the last of him.

As to Theodore and Ulku, Melfonseana/Melrandia and Zeno, you'll learn more about them in Chapter 2.
    \
    EDIT: In other news...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S80zcZyoq4s

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i have the following accessories:
    -marlin head
    -cowboy hat

they are combined in the greatest possible way.
    i am now the legendary texan swordfish.

PSO2 actually kinda rules.

• Options
    My only complain so far is how, new use unfriendly, the game can be.
    And lack of furniture budget on the free room i guess, is there way to up it without paying real world money?
    Or to up it permanently with money?

I'm liking the story, i'm liking the characters, i'm liking the gameplay, the character customization is awesome, or would be if i had clothes to use (i have a bikini and a watermelon on a sling for beach parties, so that's nice, and a strawhat that does not fit with the super long ponytail, pity that).
    Have not tried pvp yet, i assume i will hate it (i usually do), but i won't hold that against the game if so.

Really should join an alliance i guess, the harder difficulties kinda make me nervous to go solo and i hate bugging strangers for groups, or joining teams blindly.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    My only complain so far is how, new use unfriendly, the game can be.
    And lack of furniture budget on the free room i guess, is there way to up it without paying real world money?
    Or to up it permanently with money?

I'm liking the story, i'm liking the characters, i'm liking the gameplay, the character customization is awesome, or would be if i had clothes to use (i have a bikini and a watermelon on a sling for beach parties, so that's nice, and a strawhat that does not fit with the super long ponytail, pity that).
    Have not tried pvp yet, i assume i will hate it (i usually do), but i won't hold that against the game if so.

Really should join an alliance i guess, the harder difficulties kinda make me nervous to go solo and i hate bugging strangers for groups, or joining teams blindly.

You can buy the proper housing rooms passes for ex-cubes at a rate of one per 3 days. You can get a month's access by just doing an urgent quest.

• Options
    Just did the defend mining operation urgent mission succesfully for the first time.
    Synchronized firing button pushing is just the right kind of cheese. :D

• Options
    Just missing the urgent beach quest now to finish my bingo card.

steam_sig.png