As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[True Detective] CURRENT EPISODE SPOILERS UNMARKED!

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I wonder how much of Rust's currentday persona is an act. He's done deep undercover work for years at a time. He's totally capable of putting on an act of being a burnout drunk.

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    I wonder how much of Rust's currentday persona is an act. He's done deep undercover work for years at a time. He's totally capable of putting on an act of being a burnout drunk.

The scary part is that now that we've seen Hart privately and professionally, who is putting on the better act for the camera?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Another note as I rewatch the first three episodes:

I really like the tent revival preacher. His delivery is fantastic (as you'd hope; say what you will, but those guys are supposed to be pure charisma) but I also love the poetry of the language they gave him.

"...and his body is the stars, and the wind between the stars..."

or "this world is a veil. And the face you wear is not your own!"

While the church is full of grotesques (though to be fair, so is the entire world of the show) I like that the preacher himself seems polite, intelligent and helpful. Making him an oily villain would have been too obvious.

That language is why he's a suspect to me. That flowery language fits right in with cults that worship Cthulhu-esque abominations from beyond the stars. :) I do agree that he's to obvious a villain.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yeah in a show with this much depth and nuance I'd actually really enjoy it if these zealotous religious people just end up being characters that are blissfully faithful and hopeful rather than characters putting on acts to hide their villainous intent.

The former is much more grounded than the latter, and would broaden the discussion about how religion in a small town can really color the whole landscape.

It would open up the show to play out in a fashion similar to the REAL West Memphis 3 case, where a town cannibalizes its own in the name of "fighting satanists" in order to make a grotesque murder go away quickly.

I'd be much more interested in that kind of social discussion than the "religious people seem nice but are evil and lecherous" cliche.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    A good (and long) interview with Nic Pizzolatto: "Inside the obsessive, strange mind of True Detective's Nic-Pizzolatto"
    I’ve enjoyed reading people theorize about what’s going to happen because it’s a sign that you’re connecting. But I’m also sort of surprised by how far afield they’re getting. Like, why do you think we’re tricking you? It’s because you’ve been abused as an audience for more than 20 years. The show’s not trying to outsmart you. And really if you pay attention… if someone watches the first episode and really listens, it tells you 85 percent of the story of the first six episodes.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

The scary part is that now that we've seen Hart privately and professionally, who is putting on the better act for the camera?

I think Hart's better at lying to himself than anything else.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Okay, Nic Pizzolatto is my kinda writer.

im just surprised the unions aren't all over this with regards to having one writer, unless something changed recently i always thought it was a big nono for american tv to have one writer, a nono in the sense that the guilds or unions or whatever start shit up unless you have full room of paid writers. ah but who cares, industry speculation is fucking boring and this show is great.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Okay, Nic Pizzolatto is my kinda writer.

im just surprised the unions aren't all over this with regards to having one writer, unless something changed recently i always thought it was a big nono for american tv to have one writer, a nono in the sense that the guilds or unions or whatever start shit up unless you have full room of paid writers. ah but who cares, industry speculation is fucking boring and this show is great.

I have an understanding of how the WGA operates and I wouldn't be surprised if even though we've been pitched the show as some kind of vignetted episodic show, in legal terms Pizzolatto wrote a mini-series, which most likely is less stringent about filling a room full of writers.

If he wrote the whole thing before it was sold, as opposed to having wrote the pilot episode, it'd be easily sold as a feature or a mini-series and what the network decides to do with it after that is of no concern to the WGA. It'd only be a problem, most likely, if he was writing as he went with an unstaffed room.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    A good (and long) interview with Nic Pizzolatto: "Inside the obsessive, strange mind of True Detective's Nic-Pizzolatto"
    I’ve enjoyed reading people theorize about what’s going to happen because it’s a sign that you’re connecting. But I’m also sort of surprised by how far afield they’re getting. Like, why do you think we’re tricking you? It’s because you’ve been abused as an audience for more than 20 years. The show’s not trying to outsmart you. And really if you pay attention… if someone watches the first episode and really listens, it tells you 85 percent of the story of the first six episodes.

This is a funny response because it sounds really normal but is honestly a pretty deceptive way of answering that question.

"Why do you think we're tricking you? We've embedded just enough information into the first episode that if you watch it over and over you'll be able to figure out most of the story through veiled statements and out of context images. I don't get why people are coming up with so many theories!"

THAT'S EXACTLY WHY, NIC. THAT'S EXACTLY WHY.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I can rewatch the first ep but I'm just gonna ask (since the third is playing as we speak)

there are dates shown for the interviews the cops are doing... who do they talk to/film first?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I believe they talk to Hart five days after they talk to Cohle.

I remember this being the case because I believe uproxx had an article where a prevailing theory was that Cohle had died between the interviews and that's why Hart talks about him in the past-tense.

I don't buy the theory but I think in that article they specifically mention that five days have passed.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I really love Hart's performance for the detectives. You can tell he's a practised liar, he plays to a common narrative, tries to create a rapport, and establishes himself as a normal guy, while the flashbacks establish his actual character.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I really like the cut of Pizzolatto's jib. He's intensely focused, but he doesn't come off, to me, as preening or puffed-up about it. And he anticipated some of the things I was wondering most - like, after three great episodes, will the show drop the ball in the final stretch? He says no; of course, he may be wrong, but the fact that that's even on his mind is heartening to me.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

This is a funny response because it sounds really normal but is honestly a pretty deceptive way of answering that question.

"Why do you think we're tricking you? We've embedded just enough information into the first episode that if you watch it over and over you'll be able to figure out most of the story through veiled statements and out of context images. I don't get why people are coming up with so many theories!"

I don't think he was asking why people are coming up with theories; as he said, it's a sign that they're engaged. He was expressing surprise at where some of the theories are coming from ("far afrield") and speculating that this is because the audience has been trained by previous experiences to expect triple-crosses and ridicuolous developments from way out in left field. He's saying that this is going to be more straightforward than people might be used to.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I can rewatch the first ep but I'm just gonna ask (since the third is playing as we speak)

there are dates shown for the interviews the cops are doing... who do they talk to/film first?

There's a date on Hart's interview, but not on Cohle's.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

I don't think he was asking why people are coming up with theories; as he said, it's a sign that they're engaged. He was expressing surprise at where some of the theories are coming from ("far afrield") and speculating that this is because the audience has been trained by previous experiences to expect triple-crosses and ridicuolous developments from way out in left field. He's saying that this is going to be more straightforward than people might be used to.

Clearly that is nothing more than yet another misdirection! Let's figure out which character is definitely a robot.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

Are you positive? I could swear both were dated, with harts being later.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I just want it to be known that I affectionately refer to this show as the "Matthew McConaughey Murder Mystery".

So excited for the next one.

• Options

Right; for me what he's expressing is best exemplified by how our conditioning at the hands of popular media has us hypothesizing "ridiculous developments" such as Hart's daughter growing up to become a copycat killer, rather than restraining our analyses and accepting that the daughter's drawings and dolls might just be there to further highlight the futility and consequences of Hart's efforts to keep his work and family separate.

In some ways this issue may be less due to conditioning and more an extension of how he describes viewers' reactions to McConaughey's monologues — that people are hearing a litany of "ten-dollar words" and largely disregarding the content as "stoner philosophy", yet the monologues nonetheless give cause to believe that the story of True Detective is as convoluted and ornate as Cohle's diction.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I dunno, nothing about the first 3 episodes of this show gave me the impression that it was going to try to do a Shmyalan tweeeeeest or get all crazy. I'll give people that the king in yellow and some of that stuff was obviously going to lead to speculation about how potentially culty or supernatural the show might go because we didn't have enough show under our belts yet to know and this is a guy who is brand spanking new to TV so we don't have a precedent by which to judge him. But I always saw it as something that'd probably be a pretty straight forward story, with an amazing atmosphere and some fantastic writing/acting that makes the characters really come alive.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I dunno, nothing about the first 3 episodes of this show gave me the impression that it was going to try to do a Shmyalan tweeeeeest or get all crazy. I'll give people that the king in yellow and some of that stuff was obviously going to lead to speculation about how potentially culty or supernatural the show might go because we didn't have enough show under our belts yet to know and this is a guy who is brand spanking new to TV so we don't have a precedent by which to judge him. But I always saw it as something that'd probably be a pretty straight forward story, with an amazing atmosphere and some fantastic writing/acting that makes the characters really come alive.

In the finale episode, it will be revealed that Hart is a werewolf.

And the clue was there all along: Hart. And what do werewolves eat? Hearts.

And then the older of the two detectives conducting the interviews, upon watching Hart wolf out (and eat the younger guy), will slide on a pair of sunglasses and pull out a katana.

Why?

Because: he's Blade.

The final twenty minutes of True Detective practically write themselves.

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »

Are you positive? I could swear both were dated, with harts being later.

mmngZx1.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Not sure where you got those caps from, I'm looking at it right now and the date pops up after that.

It's April 26th, 2012.

EDIT: I'll go ahead and not be lazy, and cap it...

th_tddate_zps262399b4.jpg

mcdermott on
  • Options
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Not sure where you got those caps from, I'm looking at it right now and the date pops up after that.

It's April 26th, 2012.

EDIT: I'll go ahead and not be lazy, and cap it...

th_tddate_zps262399b4.jpg

My bad. I noticed it on a Reddit thread, but as it turns out they were discussing if Cohle's name not being in caps meant anything.

• Options
    Oh, no worries, I was curious what context the cap came from and that makes sense. Though of course now I'm wondering about that little inconsistency that I hadn't noticed, so thanks, ya jerk.

I actually didn't notice the dates and realize they might be relevant until the third time I watched it.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Good Lord.

• Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    Wow, this last episode just keeps up the high quality going.

• Options
    Rust sure can do a whole lot of drugs.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    holy shit that was tense

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    I'm like covering my eyes throwing this out there cause I'm only halfway through but
    YOU ARE LIKE THE MICHAEL JORDAN OF BEIN A SON OF A BITCH

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Zek on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

it

made me

i

that's it

true detective wins TV for 2014. i'm not going to see anything on that level.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    holy shit that was some intense television

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I don't want to classify true detective as best of 2014, because I feel game of thrones will be really amazing in wholly different ways than true detective

but really HBO wins at everything

override367 on
  • Options
    as far as cinematography goes. GoT isn't going to top that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    oh no, probably not

• Options
    edited February 2014
    also the names rust coal

and marty (martyrdom) hart (heart)

have to mean something

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    That was the most impressive unbroken shot since Children of Men. HBO really spares no expense, to have something like that in a TV show is fucking crazy. There's no way that any show this year tops this, just no way, it's already in my top 10 shows of all time.

Bubby on