As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[True Detective] CURRENT EPISODE SPOILERS UNMARKED!

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Wonder what Season 2 would've been if it had focused on Frank and Ray as the 2 main characters, with Paul and Ani more in the role of the New Detectives in Season 1. Would there have even been enough meat on the mystery bones without the character stuff?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Wonder what Season 2 would've been if it had focused on Frank and Ray as the 2 main characters, with Paul and Ani more in the role of the New Detectives in Season 1. Would there have even been enough meat on the mystery bones without the character stuff?

i think the character stuff kind of diluted the story in s2, especially with woodrugh

he had, what, four? five? different backstories that directly affected his story

it was just too much going on. fewer characters or tighter stories would have been so much better

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    There is no doubt that 1 is better than 2.

I just think 2 was unfairly treated because it was called the same thing season 1 was called.

If it was called Nevermind or p much anything else people probably would have enjoyed it a lot more / been less critical of it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The DmC: Devil May Cry effect, the game so inappropriately named, they named it twice.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

I just think 2 was unfairly treated because it was called the same thing season 1 was called.

If it was called Nevermind or p much anything else people probably would have enjoyed it a lot more / been less critical of it.

this is probably true to some extent, but the show was still a mess. it would just be compared unfavourably to the Wire, the Shield, etc. instead

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

this is probably true to some extent, but the show was still a mess. it would just be compared unfavourably to the Wire, the Shield, etc. instead

I mean, yeah.

But if shows have to be as good or better than The Wire to be enjoyable/watchable... there would not be much to watch.

I would say this season was good bordering on great, with some major issues of focus keeping it from reaching that mark.

Season one was just flat-out great. No qualifiers.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    yeah, i'm sure i still wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as s1, but i'd probably have a different frame of reference to compare it to

i'm aware of the shadow s1 casts over s2

but that doesn't make s2 as good of a season, simply with unfair criticism

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

But then it would be compared unfavorably to nirvana's nevermind

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I disagree that season 2 was bordering on great. I'd call it decent TV at best. I still enjoyed it, but it wasn't particularly good. I think Rotten Tomatoes has both seasons pretty much where they belong. Season 1 is 85% critics and 97% audience, with a few critics who no doubt were butthurt that there was no actual Cthulu committing crimes, and season 2 has 65% critics and audience, and I think that's right where it probably deserves to be.

I don't need every TV season I watch to be amazing. I watch a lot of shows that are worse TV than TD season 2 was. It entertained me and I found it compelling enough to keep watching, despite its issues, which were definitely present. There's a thing where some people think calling something average means they're calling it complete shit, which just isn't the case.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    So im done and its better.

Maggie is a jackass as much as marty.

So in the end they get errol- but they leave the cops to hunt the other folks in the video?

Again- i like season 2 but that was better if for no other reason than focus.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Nobody else was probably ever going down for S1's crimes. Senator/(maybe Governor when the season ends?) Tuttle(Billy Lee's brother) gets away with his part in it, really all the Tuttles get away with their part in it. Only Errol Childress and his cronies like Ledeux really went down for what they did. But really, I think season 1 was more about Errol keeping the family tradition alive when nobody else was, so it was never really about catching everybody on that tape. It's kind of a bummer that people aren't necessarily going to know about what the school did, and everything that went down, but that's part of the story. They did what they could do, but they couldn't get all of the bad guys.

I definitely agree that season 2 suffered for lack of tight focus. Pizzolatto originally set out to tell another similar story I think, but as he was writing it he realized he wanted to have too many characters to really do that. So instead season 2 had to transition to being more about the main characters than the story behind them. Unfortunately, I think even then he didn't manage to really make us all invested in the 4 main characters enough to carry the season just on their backs. Ray and Frank, sure. But Antigone, while interesting, simply never developed to the same level as those two IMO, and Paul definitely didn't. There just wasn't enough screen time, and what was there not all of the actors ate up the way more skilled actors do.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

i think the character stuff kind of diluted the story in s2, especially with woodrugh

he had, what, four? five? different backstories that directly affected his story

it was just too much going on. fewer characters or tighter stories would have been so much better

IMO Woodrugh's character brought nothing interesting to the show. And in a show with four leads dividing the screen, and a background plot bordering on labyrinthine, that's pretty bad.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Nobody else was probably ever going down for S1's crimes. Senator/(maybe Governor when the season ends?) Tuttle(Billy Lee's brother) gets away with his part in it, really all the Tuttles get away with their part in it. Only Errol Childress and his cronies like Ledeux really went down for what they did. But really, I think season 1 was more about Errol keeping the family tradition alive when nobody else was, so it was never really about catching everybody on that tape. It's kind of a bummer that people aren't necessarily going to know about what the school did, and everything that went down, but that's part of the story. They did what they could do, but they couldn't get all of the bad guys.

I definitely agree that season 2 suffered for lack of tight focus. Pizzolatto originally set out to tell another similar story I think, but as he was writing it he realized he wanted to have too many characters to really do that. So instead season 2 had to transition to being more about the main characters than the story behind them. Unfortunately, I think even then he didn't manage to really make us all invested in the 4 main characters enough to carry the season just on their backs. Ray and Frank, sure. But Antigone, while interesting, simply never developed to the same level as those two IMO, and Paul definitely didn't. There just wasn't enough screen time, and what was there not all of the actors ate up the way more skilled actors do.
    That's probably the series pattern. The wealthy criminals all got it away with what they did in season 2, minus the guy Ani stabbed.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Season 2 needed more time or fewer main characters. Don't feel like 8 episodes was nearly enough for this story

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Season 2 needed more time or fewer main characters. Don't feel like 8 episodes was nearly enough for this story

They needed to ditch Taylor Kitsch and turn Vaughn into a supporting character. Could have benefited from double the episodes.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

They needed to ditch Taylor Kitsch and turn Vaughn into a supporting character. Could have benefited from double the episodes.

I think ditching or downgrading Kitsch and adding maybe two episodes (so 10 instead of 8.5) might have been enough.

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    kitsch was my fave

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I think they had plenty of episode to develop the story and characters, but just didn't until the last few episodes.

Woodrough didn't need to be in the story. His arc added nothing. Frank and Ani should have been the focus on the police side and their relationship should have been developed earlier instead of feeling tacked on at the end. Ray was also great. Frank and Ani as the legitimate detectives with Frank and Ray as the illegitimate detectives.

I enjoyed it a lot as it is. And I liked the ending more than most apparently. It just didn't have the same umph as the first season.

• Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    I liked the Woodrough stuff, but if one was looking to cut out one of the 4 leads in order to make the story more focused then he is clearly the odd man out. A lot of his stuff kind of takes place in its own world and the pay off (being blackmailed and led into a trap) could have been done with something like half the baggage that he had.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    2 leads was great. 3 might have been doable. 4 was too much.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Thorn413 wrote: »
    I liked the Woodrough stuff, but if one was looking to cut out one of the 4 leads in order to make the story more focused then he is clearly the odd man out. A lot of his stuff kind of takes place in its own world and the pay off (being blackmailed and led into a trap) could have been done with something like half the baggage that he had.

I feel like many of his character traits / story beats could have been rolled into Ani's character. That said I thought Taylor Kitsch did a good job, but as many have said the show was too short.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Really, really disappointed with this. As a cop drama it was too full of itself and as Spooky Mystery Adventures it failed to have a single spooky mystery. I heard that the director from first season left and if so they should bring him back.

• Options
    Really, really disappointed with this. As a cop drama it was too full of itself and as Spooky Mystery Adventures it failed to have a single spooky mystery. I heard that the director from first season left and if so they should bring him back.

Not going to happen. Apparently he had a huge conflict with Pizzolatto, that bridge is burnt to the ground.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular

Not going to happen. Apparently he had a huge conflict with Pizzolatto, that bridge is burnt to the ground.

That's horrible news.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    So, season 3 starts next week apparently. My cable provider has ep 1 marked as a repeat, either by accident or maybe I missed the first showing. Going to give it a go. Anyone else?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    So, season 3 starts next week apparently. My cable provider has ep 1 marked as a repeat, either by accident or maybe I missed the first showing. Going to give it a go. Anyone else?

Yes, but only for Maharasala Ali.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    Season 2 lacked creepy Mythos stuff. I'll wait to hear if Season 3 contains any creepy Mythos stuff. I only really watched Season 1 for creepy Mythos stuff.

• Options
    Mythos was not the driving factor for me...

the one throughline in both seasons 1 and 2 is that the place is the most important character in the show.

The problem with season 2 is that the place was kind of boring and overdone.

Putting it in the Ozarks has a much greater opportunity to bring back the discomfort that season 1 so wonderfully wove.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    For me, mythos was a bonus in S1. It's going be about pace and setting.

That and don't make 4 main characters. Jeebus.

• Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I liked a lot about season 2, they just had too many characters and not enough time to really stick the landing on it

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »

That's probably the series pattern. The wealthy criminals all got it away with what they did in season 2, minus the guy Ani stabbed.

actually no
    All the russians involved with the land grab get killed in the house ambush. the players left on the field were the dirty cop, the mayor's son, and the real estate developer who handled all the paperwork.
    Something that still bothers me, how did the cartel members track down frank? Did the eastern europeans rat him out?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I completely forgot about True Detective after Season 2.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Yes, but only for Maharasala Ali.
    Yeah, this.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Carcosa and take off your mask was the best part of TD1

fight me

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I think S1's character writing and acting didn't have to be as good as it was for it to have worked because the "is it supernatural or are Rust and the killer just crazy?" angle was really interesting on its own. S2 suffered by losing both that hook and the really gripping characters who could have carried S1 even without the supernatural angle.

Given that writing and acting that good is pretty hard to pull off I'd rather have the weird stuff there to help carry it than rely on pulling off something that doesn't happen that often on TV.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Season 1 was so good...and like someone else said the location/setting was the main character. It really resonated with me as well because I went to high school very close to where it was set. They nailed the "feeling" of that region...I immediately had the same sinking feeling in my gut when I first moved there. Rust had some great sayings about that area:

"This place is like somebody's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. It's like there was never anything here but jungle."

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Off to a strong start thus far.

They are proud of their age makeup, that's for sure

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    So, I loved the shit out of season one, and season two fell so flat with me I didn't finish it.

Any reason to think I would need to finish it before watching 3? I'm like, real hard pressed to see significant connections between the first two.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    They are all standalone so no

Will be watching this later this year when we turn on HBO for GOT :D

• Options
    redx wrote: »
    So, I loved the shit out of season one, and season two fell so flat with me I didn't finish it.

Any reason to think I would need to finish it before watching 3? I'm like, real hard pressed to see significant connections between the first two.

2 eps in it feels very much like its own thing again, but tonally much closer to season one.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Stephen Dorff looks more and more like Dennis Quaid as he gets older

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades