As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[True Detective] CURRENT EPISODE SPOILERS UNMARKED!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I haven't finished Episode 2 yet and unfortunately I need to go to bed but something makes me think that...
    The girl interviewing the protagonist is Julie or her daughter. I guess it couldn't be Julie, age-wise. But she has a similar facial look.

Maybe I'm just being stupid since I am deliriously tired.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Starting the first episode. Jehosaphat on a pogo stick this title sequence is superlative.

• Options
    I guess no one is watching this.

Regardless, I'm going to post my extremely crazy theory, after having just watched Episode 3:
    Amelia is the culprit. She was the "white person" that old recluse saw in the brown sedan (she looks fairly light skinned compared to a darker skinned individual, like Mahershala Ali). In fact, it may even been him in the brown sedan. Anyway, she did it and Detective Wayne Hays (protagonist #1) either covered up for her at the time or started to suspect years later, which is why his memory is fragmented - a defense mechanism for not being able to cope with the truth.

Also, I think the blonde interviewer is related to the girl that disappeared. Her daughter or something. And she suspects Amelia, too, which is the real reason she is there.
    Again, it's a crazy theory.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Just caught up on e1 & e2. Yowsa, I'm liking it. This is exactly what I wanted.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Regardless, I'm going to post my extremely crazy theory, after having just watched Episode 3:
    Amelia is the culprit. She was the "white person" that old recluse saw in the brown sedan (she looks fairly light skinned compared to a darker skinned individual, like Mahershala Ali). In fact, it may even been him in the brown sedan. Anyway, she did it and Detective Wayne Hays (protagonist #1) either covered up for her at the time or started to suspect years later, which is why his memory is fragmented - a defense mechanism for not being able to cope with the truth.

Also, I think the blonde interviewer is related to the girl that disappeared. Her daughter or something. And she suspects Amelia, too, which is the real reason she is there.

My response
    Didn't they say a "nice" sedan? The car they are driving is not exactly what I call high rolling

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

I don’t think that works at all.
    They met after he’d already started investigating the case.

It’s possible she is involved somehow with the kidnappers but I don’t think there’s any chance of him being involved.

At least not in the initial crime.

He definitely covered something up. I initially was thinking he had killed his wife but I don’t think that works with his statement in the vision or whatever where he said “I don’t deserve this” and she agreed.

I’m curious what, if any, significance there is in the boy having a Backgammon doubling cube instead of a d6 in his D&D dice. I’d assume it was just supposed to look like a cobbled together dice set made without his parents knowing, but a d6 is the easiest sort to find whereas I don’t think I’ve ever seen a doubling cube in the flesh.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I think
    The missing girl is the woman now interviewing him in the present.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I’d be in on that theory except
    That scene early on where she’s lackadaisical showing him the subreddits talking about pedophile ring theories. I’d have a hard time image her doing that, in that way, if it’s her.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    I like the Amelia one, because as i watched Ep. 3, I thought the same thing about the interviewer being her. And I am an idiot, so if I noticed that and its true, its way too obvious. So, a more complicated version could be more satisfying.

I would love for that dream lady to be right somehow who called into Roland and he ignored her dreams about a snake farm in Huntsville.

• Options
    I think
    The missing girl is the woman now interviewing him in the present.
    That's my theory. It's either her or her daughter - but she looks really young. I dunno.

But it does look like her. In Episode 1 or 2 she had the same - forgive this description - bug-eyed look as the photo of Julie they keep showing in the newspaper.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Girlfriend and I have been watching S3 since we finished Maniac.
    We think that present day Wayne has serious memory issues. Young Wayne finds and incriminates wrong person, so 90s Wayne goes and finds the real killer and murders him himself, then present day Wayne's memory causes him to forget it.

• Options
    Girlfriend and I have been watching S3 since we finished Maniac.
    We think that present day Wayne has serious memory issues. Young Wayne finds and incriminates wrong person, so 90s Wayne goes and finds the real killer and murders him himself, then present day Wayne's memory causes him to forget it.

That’s probably better than my theory.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Caught up to e3 and now it's going to be appointment television on Sunday nights.

Maybe I'm just easy to please, but for me s3 is shaping up to match s1 in terms of greatness.

• Options
    It helps that it’s not a meandering drudgery.

• Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I won't be starting season 3 until probably the next few days, because my mother hadn't seen the first two seasons and was asking about this third, so we just blasted through the first two seasons together. Season 1 is still amazing, and I honestly do not understand the hate season 2 gets. Even at the time I thought it wasn't as good as the first season but I still liked it a lot, and watching it all again over three days, I like it even more than before. I understand people not liking it compared to season 1, but people just calling it trash and awful and writing it off completely is a super bummer to me.

Anyway, all this to say that I'm very excited to start season 3. I will be most interested to see what the story ends up being about, because so far the only thing I know about this season at all is Mahershala Ali and memory problems. My favourite thing about seasons 1 and 2 is how they are about the shitty corruption in politics, business, religion and law enforcement, so I would be truly disappointed if they did not keep that throughline going.

• Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I didn’t mind season 2. My biggest complaint is how they offed Taylor Kitsch. Based on how they built up his character and his prowess I didn’t think it was in character for him to get ambushed that badly.

Rhah on
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I def wouldnt say season 2 is trash

but its quality and depth seems alot more forced and less nuanced than s1

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Season 2 felt like a not-great adaptation of a graphic novel trying really hard to rip off Ed Brubaker.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Boy they’re really working hard in 1990 and 2015 to avoid saying exactly who the murder got pinned on in 1980 until the narrative demands it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    E4. Fuuuuuuuuuuck, what an end cut.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Last ep..
    So the people in his room were all people he has killed yea? Was the long haired guy the trash man? I guess next episode we'll see if he ends up needing to shoot him.
    If so then it's definitely confirmed, but then makes me wonder who the man in the suit was.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Really digging Stephen Dorff's performance. We were already in love with Ali and he has not disappointed.

Something this season has really nailed the way the first season did is in really pulling you in during what are basically just conversational scenes. I think it's a combination of direction and fantastic acting.

I remember thinking after the first season that I could watch a whole damn show that was just McConaughey's Rust sitting in an interview room with a six pack.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I like how the two detectives are
    Like genuinely supportive friends without washing over differences in outlook or social situation or turning it into a buddy cop thing.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    The age makeup this season is super tight. It's really beautifully done.

I'm reserving judgment on the actual narrative until we get further in. It feels good already, but there's always room to flame out spectacularly.

One thing I'm curious about:
    Is the introduction of D&D stuff (the manual, the dice in the forest, etc...) just clumsy foreshadowing, a red herring, or just aesthetically placed to drum up that late 70s, early 80s satanic panic vibe?

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    That’s gotta kill the director being Julie theory right? She was 21 in 1990, she’d be 46 in 2015.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Honk wrote: »
    That’s gotta kill the director being Julie theory right? She was 21 in 1990, she’d be 46 in 2015.

I think theres still a lot more to her tho

Re: D&D
    its hard to understate how much a thing satanic panic was. If kids went missing it was almost certain to come up

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Re: D&D
    its hard to understand how mucb a thing satanic panic was. If kids went missing it was almost certain to come up

This being Arkansas, it’s also definitely going for a West Memphis Three vibe. Keep in mind that that happened in 1993, too. Fucking *Pearl Jam* was advocating for those kids, and it was still all “wearing a Metallica shirt, must be devil worshippers” in those parts. In a trial that happened after Kurt Cobain died.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

I'm reserving judgment on the actual narrative until we get further in. It feels good already, but there's always room to flame out spectacularly.

Is the introduction of D&D stuff (the manual, the dice in the forest, etc...) just clumsy foreshadowing, a red herring, or just aesthetically placed to drum up that late 70s, early 80s satanic panic vibe?

As an old school D&D nerd who was playing in the 1980s...
    "Forests of Leng" is not an actual AD&D supplement, it is made up for the show. "Leng" actually comes from H.P. Lovecraft, where Abdul Alhazred describes it as a place where different realities converge, home a high priest in a yellow silken mask and a cannibal cult. It is referenced in a whole bunch of other fantasy, including A Song of Ice and Fire, which has the Islands of Leng.

Anyway, that book is not a random 1980s AD&D book that someone brought in for the shoot, it is a prop they custom made for the show, so it is probably a clue. Also, the style of the spine and cover art is from the post-1983 style of AD&D books, so it is a slight anachronism. In 1980, AD&D books looked like this:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=69151&d=1436277009

not this:

s-l300.jpg

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    This might be a completely stupid question, but the uniformed cop in the first sce

As an old school D&D nerd who was playing in the 1980s...
    "Forests of Leng" is not an actual AD&D supplement, it is made up for the show. "Leng" actually comes from H.P. Lovecraft, where Abdul Alhazred describes it as a place where different realities converge, home a high priest in a yellow silken mask and a cannibal cult. It is referenced in a whole bunch of other fantasy, including A Song of Ice and Fire, which has the Islands of Leng.

Anyway, that book is not a random 1980s AD&D book that someone brought in for the shoot, it is a prop they custom made for the show, so it is probably a clue. Also, the style of the spine and cover art is from the post-1983 style of AD&D books, so it is a slight anachronism. In 1980, AD&D books looked like this:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=69151&d=1436277009

not this:

s-l300.jpg

Good call on the Lovecraft reference! I recognized Leng as from that mythos but didn't follow the train of thought through regarding the name of the module.

This, then, recalls the first season's references to the King in Yellow, another Lovecraft reference.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Perhaps an interested party trying to hunt down Julie for good or I'll; and the documentary is a cover.

I expect more to come from the two wine glasses; material or not.

Re: Plateau of Leng

Where was this reference?

• Options

Perhaps an interested party trying to hunt down Julie for good or I'll; and the documentary is a cover.

The Forests of Leng book is on Will's desk when the detectives search his room. You see it right after they find the only Playboys under his mattress.

• Options
    I'm not sure the book means much on its own. They seem to be doing some of the thing they did in Season 1 where there's a feeling of unreality and the supernatural occurring when there isn't.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I'm not sure the book means much on its own. They seem to be doing some of the thing they did in Season 1 where there's a feeling of unreality and the supernatural occurring when there isn't.

It sure could be a red herring, but...
    They find the polyhedral dice near the murder location, along with the toy stash. The detectives are actively interviewing the kids they thought played with Will and discovered that this wasn't the case. So it is definitely a thread they are following.

I haven't seen Episode 4 yet, but my guess is that one of the teens riding around in the purple VW bug will also come up in the D&D investigation.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Unless it's a double-red-herring

Chekhov's Herring-Gun

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Something I hadn’t really considered until episode 4
    There’s a possibility that Hayes’ daughter is no longer alive in 2015, and nobody has the heart to remind him of that.

We see him talking to her in his office shortly before all the “ghosts” (which I’m going to assume are all people he killed or failed to save) show up. And in the earlier episode the son was being really vague about why she’s not around anymore.

On whomever got arrested or blamed in 1980
    We know it’s a man. We know Hayes didn’t think that man was the killer. We know Hayes’ career was sidetracked because he wouldn’t get on board. We know that the suspect has a family who still cares enough in 1990 to try and clear his name, and has the resources to make that possible.

My speculation: one of the teenagers gets blamed for everything in 1980. But in 1990 it turns out it was the CEO of the chicken processing plant. The detectives take him out because they realize he’s too connected to take in legally. 2015 Hayes is trying to make sure nobody finds out about what he did in 1990.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    E4
    Did I see 90s Roland has a limp? Shrapnel damage from the e5 claymore coming up, perhaps? They are in the yard, front and center for the explosion.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular

The Forests of Leng book is on Will's desk when the detectives search his room. You see it right after they find the only Playboys under his mattress.

Thanks for this! I could not remember this module for the life of me! I figured it was by design, but then I saw the old school DM handbook and thought it was just one I'd never seen.

Fun fact, my original DM manual, which I bought used to begin with, was confiscated by my Cub Scouts Scoutmaster in the basement of the church we met in PA while preparing for the Webelo exam (or whatever it was).

I still remember it. That shit is expensive when you're a kid!

• Options

Thanks for this! I could not remember this module for the life of me! I figured it was by design, but then I saw the old school DM handbook and thought it was just one I'd never seen.

Fun fact, my original DM manual, which I bought used to begin with, was confiscated by my Cub Scouts Scoutmaster in the basement of the church we met in PA while preparing for the Webelo exam (or whatever it was).

I still remember it. That shit is expensive when you're a kid!

No worries. I had a similar sort of thing - the book store in my town originally carried D&D material and then pulled it all in the late 80s after an incident where some teenagers knocked over some headstones in the cemetery.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    E4
    Did I see 90s Roland has a limp? Shrapnel damage from the e5 claymore coming up, perhaps? They are in the yard, front and center for the explosion.

It's been said that
    he was shot
    . When they meet up in the bar and he offers him the job in 90.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Dang. Missed that mention. Thought I was clever for noticing something that hadn't been talked about.