Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[True Detective] CURRENT EPISODE SPOILERS UNMARKED!

1686970717274»

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    A thought after this episode...
    Was West gay?

I kind of feel like that might be the forgotten tension between Hayes and West. Or at least a part of it?

Drez on
    Drake Chambers
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Regardless of whatever else in this season, watching him deal with his memory loss is just brutal. Oof :(

CaptainPeacockStyrofoam SammichKoopahTroopahDemonStaceyAresProphet
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Some of us are going to be just like that, if we make it that far.

Therein lies the real horror, as far as I'm concerned.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    DemonStaceyFawstBig DookieAresProphet
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Regardless of whatever else in this season, watching him deal with his memory loss is just brutal. Oof :(

The way he behaves is basically perfect for how an older person with memory loss works.
    Some of us are going to be just like that, if we make it that far.

Therein lies the real horror, as far as I'm concerned.

He's got it lucky honestly.

Styrofoam Sammich on
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    From experience with my grandpa, I know. Where it leads to is heartbreaking.

I just assume that it's getting started with Hayes, and that it's a long way down.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 11
    Detective Honk to the rescue
    Hoyt is the biological father of Julie but not Will, Tom doesn’t know. I imagine they met in the chicken plant but I can’t recall if the dates match up for that. Lucy is in on it somehow... the letter to try and console Tom. Possibly she was getting paid to keep that secret, maybe Hoyt had other heirs. For one reason or another Hoyt decides he wants Julie back but... in a bunker in the basement. Will fought back and was killed during the abduction. The one-eyed man worked for Hoyt and has been bringing gifts to the kids. Julie escapes at some point. Security guy disappears Tom right after the episode ending we saw.

Amelia will chase after the one-eyed man and probably die from an “accident” in 1990, I don’t think the one-eyed man is part of the evil crew. But Hoyt’s people are watching and security guy arranges for Amelia’s accident.

Security man will implicate himself and gets killed by our True Detectives, possibly in retribution for killing Amelia, they know he’s in on the kidnapping but can’t get further up the chain.

Interviewer been talking to grown up Julie.

DA was pressured by Hoyt to put it on Woodard in the first place, he’s not in on it but “wouldn’t it be nice if this was wrapped up so people don’t have to be afraid and also here’s 50k for your campaign”.

Twist: Tom is still alive in the basement in 2015 and is all the way fucked up.

Remember where you heard it first!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    CaptainPeacockKoopahTroopah
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 11
    And uncle gets merc’d before the detectives find the 7k. That’s why the scene is the first real one from a perspective not of any of our protagonists - what we learned in that scene will not be learned by the main characters. No witnesses, that scene and Tom at the end was for the viewer.

BONUS:
    Bunker theory: Amateur theory psychology and hippie drugs to condition her to forget her past and believe she just grew up at Hoyt’s.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 12
    Just watching episode 6 now.

Obviously the three leads are crushing it, but i haven't seen anyone praise the dad's performance

He blows it away, the utter annihilating despair and then rickety self-reassembly

And the mother is such a ragged open wound that it's almost impossible to tolerate her scenes at all

The casting in this is superb (and I think the direction as well, to get this consistent level of performance)

Evil Multifarious on
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
    Drake ChambersCaptainPeacockKoopahTroopahEddyFawstAbsalonBig DookieAresProphet
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular

Obviously the three leads are crushing it, but i haven't seen anyone praise the dad's performance

He blows it away, the utter annihilating despair and then rickety self-reassembly

And the mother is such a ragged open wound that it's almost impossible to tolerate her scenes at all

The casting in this is superb (and I think the direction as well, to get this consistent level of performance)

Yes, dad really gets to shine in Ep 6:
    His wtf reaction to being accused during interrogation is one of the most raw and gut-wrenchingly plausible I've ever seen
    Drez wrote: »
    A thought after this episode...
    Was West gay?

I kind of feel like that might be the forgotten tension between Hayes and West. Or at least a part of it?

Yeah, I was thinking that too.
    It's not over-the-top but I think West is demonstrably uncomfortable with Hayes' anti-gay sentiment during the car ride. From a modern perspective perhaps it's unfair to assume that his being sympathetic to a gay man means "he must be gay!" but it's not the only clue we've had so far and I think that's where they're headed.

steam_sig.png
    Drez
  • MsAnthropyMsAnthropy Our Lady of Perpetual Mazes The CageRegistered User regular

Scoot McNairy is pretty damned awesome. Was great on Halt and Catch Fire, too.

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
    The DeliveratorKoopahTroopahEddy
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I love that his name is Scoot. What a funny name. Good actor, but dang what a funny name.

?username=KoopahTroopah&theme=light

Steam - Battle.net - Koopah089 - PSN/Xbox - 1639-6388-9968/KoopahTroopah - Switch
    MsAnthropyEvil MultifariousEddy
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    He’s good.