Options

Wii U Thread: THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Mhm. Sure.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Actually the PC is the clear winner here. :)

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Another thing that isn't helping the Wii U is that the Wii was built like a tank. The only people I know with Xbox Ones and PS4s bought it because their 360s and PS3s died and figure they may as well upgrade.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Why didn't I think to include the PC when comparing console systems. I wonder.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Don't we have this conversation like ever few months? :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Viskod wrote: »

Why not? You can get just about everything out of a PC that you can a console. Including controller support and you can hook it up to a TV.

• Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Really? The one comparing the Wii U to the XB1 that takes into consideration near 6 months of sales date for the PS4 and the XB1?

• Options
    edited April 2014

Why not? You can get just about everything out of a PC that you can a console. Including controller support and you can hook it up to a TV.

Because it's not a console. I could have also talked about the Ouya but what would the fucking point of that be? This isn't an Industry thread its a Wii U thread, and I was talking about the Wii U.

Viskod on
  • Options
    If I had a chance to give advice prior to the Wii U?

Well, short of something vague like "make sure more games are made for it", I dunno. Probably tell them to freaking advertise it. Buy up commercial time.

Does anyone know Shovel Knight's current release date? I know it got delayed from March 31, but it occurs to me that I don't know what its actual release date now is.

• Options

Really? The one comparing the Wii U to the XB1 that takes into consideration near 6 months of sales date for the PS4 and the XB1?

No, the one where we all list all the reasons that Nintendo messed up with the WiiU.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options

Yes, but each time we have it there is a little less hope. Once Mario Kart and Smash Brothers fail to generate sales, there will be no more hope and we can have the conversation for the last time. The Wii U can then be placed next to the Soda Stream and Roomba on the shelf of things I regret purchasing.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Enlong wrote: »
    If I had a chance to give advice prior to the Wii U?

Well, short of something vague like "make sure more games are made for it", I dunno. Probably tell them to freaking advertise it. Buy up commercial time.

Does anyone know Shovel Knight's current release date? I know it got delayed from March 31, but it occurs to me that I don't know what its actual release date now is.

I thought they settled on "sometime in June" as the release window. I might be wrong though.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    I don't think games would make the difference. Because like I said, if you look at the difference between the PS4 and the XB1, games are not what's driving the PS4's lead. I think it really had turned out to be the fact that its cheaper than the XB1, you don't have something like Kinect that you're forced to buy if you don't want it, and the fact that games keep getting press releases stating that they run in a higher resolution at a higher framerate.

6 months ago I wouldn't have thought that the Wii U being drastically more powerful would make a difference, but looking at how the past months have gone for the PS4 and the XB1 that has changed my mind.

I do think now that if the Wii U was the clear technical winner it would be in a much better place.

• Options
    Dirk2112 wrote: »

Yes, but each time we have it there is a little less hope. Once Mario Kart and Smash Brothers fail to generate sales, there will be no more hope and we can have the conversation for the last time. The Wii U can then be placed next to the Soda Stream and Roomba on the shelf of things I regret purchasing.

I've gotten enough enjoyment out of it to not have "regret purchasing it" as a possibility.

Now, being really angry at the market, and at the internet for continually bringing the subject up? That seems an inevitability.

• Options
    Dirk2112 wrote: »

I personally don't think there is anything Nintendo could do to drastically reverse the WiiU's fortunes. Kart and Smash will bump sales some, but not enough to save the system. Even if they did reverse the sales prospects and make it a mild success, it would suddenly get third parties back on board. That ship has long sailed. All Nintendo can do now is ride the storm, keep releasing great first party games, and then try again in two to three more years.

Would it being a sales success but still with no third party support suddenly make you not regret purchasing it? I mean, it's a video game system. We are gamers. We like video games. The WiiU will still and currently has a pretty decent library of fantastic games. That only takes into account the games we know about. There are obviously games that we know nothing about and collaborations that Nintendo has set up that we know nothing about. The system still has some life to it.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I have absolutely no idea how the video game market works anymore.

The PS4 and Xbone are expensive as hell, have a fairly shitty lineup of games so far, the games don't look that much better than before and the Xbone was seen as literally worse than Hitler by the hardcore crowd before it was released, and yet both systems still sold like hotcakes.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »

The PS4 and Xbone are expensive as hell, have a fairly shitty lineup of games so far, the games don't look that much better than before and the Xbone was seen as literally worse than Hitler by the hardcore crowd before it was released, and yet both systems still sold like hotcakes.

Marketing.

• Options
    Smash won't do much of anything because it's coming out for the 3DS months before the WiiU.

• Options
    PS4 is selling like hotcakes.

Xbone isn't selling terribly, but it's not at hotcakes level yet.

But the last generation went on way too long, and people were ready for the next iteration. Nintendo dropped the ball hard and squandered their year lead. Live and learn, and hopefully Nintendo learns from this generation. The PS4/Xbone were the upgrade people were wanting with a new generation. Simple as that.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Depends on what unique features the Wii U version has, how good the online is, compared to each other, and what those eternally vague connectivity features are.

• Options
    Depends on what unique features the Wii U version has, how good the online is, compared to each other, and what those eternally vague connectivity features are.

While true I still think that they would have had a better chance to help the WiiU by putting that one out first and then follow it up with the 3DS version later.

• Options
    I've gotten enough enjoyment out of it to not have "regret purchasing it" as a possibility.

Now, being really angry at the market, and at the internet for continually bringing the subject up? That seems an inevitability.

I have definitely enjoyed the system. I bought it new for $350 at launch. I wish I would have waited and picked up one of the recent bundles or bought a used one.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Smash won't do much of anything because it's coming out for the 3DS months before the WiiU.

People keep saying this like handheld fighters are somehow ever better than their console counterparts .

The wiiu will be the definitive version
    People will double dip and some may skip the 3DS version entirely

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Maz- wrote: »

Like I said, it doesn't matter that the difference in minimal, it just matters that its there and reported. The PS4 is just $400 dollars, that's just $50 more than the original Wii U Deluxe price.

I mean, you think the PS4 is as 'expensive as hell' but compare it to the Wii U Deluxe at launch the difference between the two is quite drastic for just a $50 dollar difference in price, and the XB1 is $100 more than the PS4.

And while the XB1 went through a marketing nightmare of bad marketing as opposed to the Wii U's lack of marketing (which was bad for different reasons) Its still succeeded because of the number of people that owned a 360 that were waiting on the chance to buy their XB1.

PS4 is selling like hotcakes.

Xbone isn't selling terribly, but it's not at hotcakes level yet.

I think its selling terribly by comparison. I believe the last numbers were over 7 million consoles sold to customers for the PS4 and 5 million consoles sold to stores for the XB1.

The customers vs stores number is the distinction, which means that we don't actually know how many people have bought XB1's for certain, and as is always said in this business, if the numbers were good, they'd brag about them.

Viskod on
  • Options

People keep saying this like handheld fighters are somehow ever better than their console counterparts .

Would they double dip if they have to pay $300+ for the newer version? I feel it's unlikely.

• Options
    This generation, the Xbone is really the worst option all around, in my opinion.

PS4/WiiU or PC/WiiU will get you the majority of the major titles you'd want to play this Generation.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Well, graphically it'll be worse, but as long as the online is good, the fighters will be just fine. It's just too bad the 3DS's D-Pad isn't anywhere near as good as the Vita's or the DS Fat's.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Blah blah blah Wii U is failing...here's how to save it...Nintendo is doomed.

You know what I like? Playing and discussing games. How about that Super Mario 3D World? I just beat world 6 with all the green stars. Starting World 7 this weekend. It's super fun, but man are some of them a pain to get...and that's without trying for all the stampers. Great game though....next up is getting through Wind Waker or Pikmin 3 I think.

I know it's not a great game, but for the family I did pick up Sing Party at the Toys R Us Clearance sale - it rang up at $8. The track listing wasn't terrible for the price.

• Options
    edited April 2014

Would they double dip if they have to pay $300+ for the newer version? I feel it's unlikely.

Well there might be fewer of them that will have to.

I'm sure the people that would play Smash Brothers on the Wii U are also the type of people that would play Mario Kart on the Wii U, and while the 3DS does have a Mario Kart, it came out quite some time ago, and the Wii U Mario Kart looks fucking gorgeous.

I would guess that the inevitable bump in sales that Mario Kart gives the console itself will be a lot of people that were waiting to get the system until either Mario Kart or Smash Bros came out, meaning that there's a better chance of people having one for Smash U later this year.

Viskod on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Well. The WiiU could use some actual games announced for it outside of MK8. It's kinda in a drought.

Same for the 3DS, for that matter. Though that's gotten a few good game announcements lately, for which I'm thankful. The handheld started off very, very strong and has at least 10-15 games I'd consider must-own and utterly fantastic... but it hasn't been getting anything new to buy for a while. There's no retail game I'm personally interested in until September at this point and that makes me sad. :(

And yet I'm buying a new game for my Vita every other week as a constant stream of Japanese localizations and western Indies keep constantly getting announced and released for it.

What happened to the Nintendo game releases? ._.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I'm personally holding out on buying a Wii U until they release that Fire Emblem x Earthbound crossover game that the fanbase has been clamoring for.

>.>

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Wait until E3. Nintendo doesn't tend to announce things well in advance anymore. At least, not like literally every other company does with ever game ever. Zelda and Mario seem to be the main exceptions to that.

There will be a 2-month turnaround from announcement to release for Tomodachi Life. We can probably expect at least a few announcements at E3 that will be scheduled for release before the end of the year.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Well. The WiiU could use some actual games announced for it outside of MK8. It's kinda in a drought.

Same for the 3DS, for that matter. Though that's gotten a few good game announcements lately, for which I'm thankful. The handheld started off very, very strong and has at least 10-15 games I'd consider must-own and utterly fantastic... but it hasn't been getting anything new to buy for a while. There's no retail game I'm personally interested in until September at this point and that makes me sad. :(

And yet I'm buying a new game for my Vita every other week as a constant stream of Japanese localizations and western Indies keep constantly getting announced and released for it.

What happened to the Nintendo game releases? ._.

With the lack of third party support as well as the difficulty in transitioning to HD textures/resolution it has created a rift in the amount of games to come out. But you also have to remember the Vita's been out longer (and has better 3rd party support) so the games are going to come out like crazy.

WiiU will never really get a steady stream of games like I'd hoped. But since I own a decent PC I'm okay with turning my WiiU on once in a while when a great game comes out for it.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

You know what I like? Playing and discussing games.

Yeah, I don't understand why people would discuss the Wii U console in a thread dedicated to the Wii U console.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Speaking of lack of WiiU games... For the record, I'm kinda pissed at the lack of a Monster Hunter 4U. I have no desire to go back to the claw. I'm more interested in Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars and the like because of the lack of a console Monster Hunter.

And I'm hoping that Fire Emblem x SMT actually gets shown off at E3 and hasn't turned into vaporware.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Whoa 100+ new posts since I checked I wonder what's up.

Oh apparently VGAddict came back again with an alt account to stir things up, ok.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

You know what I like? Playing and discussing games. How about that Super Mario 3D World? I just beat world 6 with all the green stars. Starting World 7 this weekend. It's super fun, but man are some of them a pain to get...and that's without trying for all the stampers. Great game though....next up is getting through Wind Waker or Pikmin 3 I think.

I finally finished Luigi U and Wonderful 101. I need to finish the bonus levels of 3D World before Mario Kart comes out. My son and I are still working on Swap Force and I haven't even touched Black Flag yet.

My PC backlog is too large to post.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    It's easy to stick a number at the end of a new console if the console is just a more powerful iteration of the previous console with a few extra bells and whistles.

Look, the only time that the Big N has done that was when they also came up with a more powerful iteration of the last console. But Nintendo has done so much to stride in a different direction than adding more Hz's. The Wii was such a drastic departure from the Gamecube they could not (and it would have almost been suicide) to call it the Gamecube 2. The only reason the new console has the Wii name anywhere in it is because you can use all of the controllers and features that made the Wii really popular. It is difficult for a company that tries to do something different with a product to give it the same name as the previous product. People bitching about the name should just 'Let It Go' at this point.

People decry Nintendo for trying something different and yet most of the same people say there is no innovation. What they want is something very similar to what they had before with more power. Change is difficult and most people don't really want it unless it looks like what came before.

dipuc4life on
    NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Speaking of lack of WiiU games... For the record, I'm kinda pissed at the lack of a Monster Hunter 4U. I have no desire to go back to the claw. I'm more interested in Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars and the like because of the lack of a console Monster Hunter.

And I'm hoping that Fire Emblem x SMT actually gets shown off at E3 and hasn't turned into vaporware.

There is no claw on 3DS. Even if you wanted to claw, you can't.

But I had to get the Circle Pad Pro for 3DS Monster Huntering, so while I avoided accelerating the rate at which my hands turn into jagged claws, I had to drop $25 for the luxury.

Still, sucks for WiiU-only people who like their Monster Hunter.

Renzo on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Wait until E3.

whoa I'm getting deja vu to 2006 here

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126