Options

Wii U Thread: THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    But Metroids are aliens.

True, but do they have acid blood? Think of the possibilities!

I even figured out the suit downgrade tradition, you have a scene where Samus spinesharks into a Xenomorph, covering her in the acid, and as it dissolves her suit she either rips it off with some injury or it takes emergency precautions and downgrades her to the zero suit. In a room with a few gangs of Xenomorphs roaming about with a few more hiding in the walls. It'd be intense!

Hey, anything's better than M:OM at this point

But what if it was made by Gearbox?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I disagree about PS4 not being amazing. Infamous: Second Son definitely has next gen graphics and motion capture. It hits that "uncanny valley" of looking almost real. That game should have been a launch title.

I get what you're saying but generally when people refer to the "uncanny valley" they mean it as a negative thing.

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    Here's my pie in the sky dream if I ran Nintendo for the next few years:

For Wii U, mostly stick with the plan this year, Mario Kart 8 in Summer, and release Zelda Dynasty Warriors in Winter along with Smash. Two big games. Have a promise of the New Zelda following after in Spring '15. At E3 this year reduce price to $250. Sell a single SKU. Have Nintendoland be a free download to anybody, and give a few eShop credits to foster their digital store. Roll in all Wii features into Wii U so there's no "split mode" - one of Windows 8 problems. Release cache of Virtual Console games, including Gamecube and Wii. Make sure the single SKU has 64GB onboard or at the very least open up the SD Slot to be used for game downloads.

Initiate "Project Merge" and use the Wii U as a test bed - hire a dedicated team to port all Nintendo published 3DS games to the Wii U. Tie this in with the universal account system. The Wii U versions would be digital only, and you'd get a copy of any digital 3DS game you already had. All buttons and control schemes are already accounted for, and Control Pad for 3DS is built in already. Throw those with a 3D TV a bone and have them playable in 3D as well. For the most part these would be uprezzed versions, lots of AA, maybe slightly better texture quality - and keep all multiplayer options intact.

Launch Project Merge with Metroid 2X: The Return of Samus. A full 2.5D remake of the game. Release simultaneously on the 3DS and Wii U. Include cloud saving and cross purchase, buy on one, own on the other system. Play on the go, get home and pick up on the Wii U. Second screen would be for the map the game never had. All other Metroid games are modern except this one, and it's incredibly important story-wise. Edit some of the maps, add some new areas, put in an easter egg that shows that maybe not all Metroids are dead.

Have this lead into a brand new Retro-made Metroid game exclusively for the Wii U. Use all the consoles strengths the way Tearaway did with the PS Vita. Gamepad scanning and map manipulation, have the game be incredibly isolating with little dialogue, a true return to form. This should take place after Metroid Fusion and try to tie up and fix any issues other games brought up so the series can start moving forward rather than sticking games in between when other ones happen. This should drop in Summer '15.

Fall '15 the system should have it's niche well carved out and a viable system for anybody to own. Release a brand new F-Zero. All along this year Nintendo should release a lot of new versions of some of their classic IP, but with the mindset that they are indies. Have small teams within the company work on these titles, stuff like Ice Hockey, Kung Fu, Ice Climbers, Gumshoe, StarTropics, Battle Clash, etc. Games that hit hard with nostalgia but for those who are unaware just seem like really polished bite-sized games that are a good deal.

Also throw in a brand new Star Fox in there. Since heavy hitters like various Mario games, Smash, Metroid, and Zelda will already be out with a long shelf life - make sure the tail end of the system has the F-Zero's and Star Foxes of the world.

Ride the wave of this through 2016. At E3 announce the new systems for release in Winter 2016, a culmination of “Project Merge”: Nintendo 8 and New GameBoy. By this point the Wii U will have been out 4 years, a short but not unreasonable run, respectable. The 3DS will also be almost 6 years running. Have them both run on the same architecture, with the plan being that for the way Nintendo runs the company in a lean fashion, both systems will play the exact same games - they can just focus on the games, which is what they do best. Stick with what works: pure game systems.

The New GameBoy would run the games at 720p 30FPS minimum, with the Nintendo 8 running them at 1080p 60FPD minimum since it has beefed up internals. Let them talk together and play with one another, with the GameBoy also serving as an extra controller. Have some content allowed to be used as a second screen, but optional.

The Nintendo 8 would be a box shipped with a standard Wii U Pro Controller type of design. The New Gameboy would be clamshell, single 1280x720p screen. Two thumbsticks. The widescreen on top with speakers, everything else on the bottom. Make it pocketable, and sleek out of the gate. Also sell both systems as a bundle, which would allow for 2-players out of the box.

Nintendo 8 priced at $250 at launch. New GameBoy at $200. A bundle with them both for $400. Launch with a brand new, full fledged Mario game, with Zelda following a month later. Don’t cater to or give a shit about EA, Ubi, Activision, whatever. If it’s a hot enough commodity based on Nintendo’s own games, the rest will come. By this point it would be powerful enough to run PS4 and Xbox One level games, so it would pick up those type of titles and same-day ports if people bought into the idea. And why wouldn’t Activision want a full non-watered down version of Call of Duty 2016 on the go with the GameBoy (and as a consequence, the new Nintendo 8).

Well this was much longer than I anticipated… but the gist is making the best of the current situation, and preparing for one hell of a launch with their next system(s) and letting them stick to one architecture regardless of whether it’s played on the go or the TV. That could be their new gimmick without it seeming to the mass market to be a gimmick in line with motion control, 3D, Kinect, tablet controllers etc. In another words, stick with what works, make it lean and cost effective. The 3rd party devs and publishers can then go port-crazy with Ultimate Edition Bundles of Mass Effect 4, 5, and 6 and the Titanfall 3 Extreme Edition.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    But the Gravity Suit resists acid.

I've never seen a Metroid game where she starts out with the gravity suit, at least I don't think I have.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Well, looks like I'll need to find a different HDD, as the Seagate I picked up just isn't working out.

I thought I could fudge it with a Y-cable after I accidentally bought one that wasn't AC Adapter'd, but it keeps shutting down during use.

Back to Amazon WITH YE!

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I disagree about PS4 not being amazing. Infamous: Second Son definitely has next gen graphics and motion capture. It hits that "uncanny valley" of looking almost real. That game should have been a launch title.

The problem is that so far it's the only one of its kind. The rest of the PS4's library are multiplatform games.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Here's my pie in the sky dream if I ran Nintendo for the next few years:

For Wii U, mostly stick with the plan this year, Mario Kart 8 in Summer, and release Zelda Dynasty Warriors in Winter along with Smash. Two big games. Have a promise of the New Zelda following after in Spring '15. At E3 this year reduce price to $250. Sell a single SKU. Have Nintendoland be a free download to anybody, and give a few eShop credits to foster their digital store. Roll in all Wii features into Wii U so there's no "split mode" - one of Windows 8 problems. Release cache of Virtual Console games, including Gamecube and Wii. Make sure the single SKU has 64GB onboard or at the very least open up the SD Slot to be used for game downloads.

Initiate "Project Merge" and use the Wii U as a test bed - hire a dedicated team to port all Nintendo published 3DS games to the Wii U. Tie this in with the universal account system. The Wii U versions would be digital only, and you'd get a copy of any digital 3DS game you already had. All buttons and control schemes are already accounted for, and Control Pad for 3DS is built in already. Throw those with a 3D TV a bone and have them playable in 3D as well. For the most part these would be uprezzed versions, lots of AA, maybe slightly better texture quality - and keep all multiplayer options intact.

Launch Project Merge with Metroid 2X: The Return of Samus. A full 2.5D remake of the game. Release simultaneously on the 3DS and Wii U. Include cloud saving and cross purchase, buy on one, own on the other system. Play on the go, get home and pick up on the Wii U. Second screen would be for the map the game never had. All other Metroid games are modern except this one, and it's incredibly important story-wise. Edit some of the maps, add some new areas, put in an easter egg that shows that maybe not all Metroids are dead.

Have this lead into a brand new Retro-made Metroid game exclusively for the Wii U. Use all the consoles strengths the way Tearaway did with the PS Vita. Gamepad scanning and map manipulation, have the game be incredibly isolating with little dialogue, a true return to form. This should take place after Metroid Fusion and try to tie up and fix any issues other games brought up so the series can start moving forward rather than sticking games in between when other ones happen. This should drop in Summer '15.

Fall '15 the system should have it's niche well carved out and a viable system for anybody to own. Release a brand new F-Zero. All along this year Nintendo should release a lot of new versions of some of their classic IP, but with the mindset that they are indies. Have small teams within the company work on these titles, stuff like Ice Hockey, Kung Fu, Ice Climbers, Gumshoe, StarTropics, Battle Clash, etc. Games that hit hard with nostalgia but for those who are unaware just seem like really polished bite-sized games that are a good deal.

Also throw in a brand new Star Fox in there. Since heavy hitters like various Mario games, Smash, Metroid, and Zelda will already be out with a long shelf life - make sure the tail end of the system has the F-Zero's and Star Foxes of the world.

Ride the wave of this through 2016. At E3 announce the new systems for release in Winter 2016, a culmination of “Project Merge”: Nintendo 8 and New GameBoy. By this point the Wii U will have been out 4 years, a short but not unreasonable run, respectable. The 3DS will also be almost 6 years running. Have them both run on the same architecture, with the plan being that for the way Nintendo runs the company in a lean fashion, both systems will play the exact same games - they can just focus on the games, which is what they do best. Stick with what works: pure game systems.

The New GameBoy would run the games at 720p 30FPS minimum, with the Nintendo 8 running them at 1080p 60FPD minimum since it has beefed up internals. Let them talk together and play with one another, with the GameBoy also serving as an extra controller. Have some content allowed to be used as a second screen, but optional.

The Nintendo 8 would be a box shipped with a standard Wii U Pro Controller type of design. The New Gameboy would be clamshell, single 1280x720p screen. Two thumbsticks. The widescreen on top with speakers, everything else on the bottom. Make it pocketable, and sleek out of the gate. Also sell both systems as a bundle, which would allow for 2-players out of the box.

Nintendo 8 priced at $250 at launch. New GameBoy at $200. A bundle with them both for $400. Launch with a brand new, full fledged Mario game, with Zelda following a month later. Don’t cater to or give a shit about EA, Ubi, Activision, whatever. If it’s a hot enough commodity based on Nintendo’s own games, the rest will come. By this point it would be powerful enough to run PS4 and Xbox One level games, so it would pick up those type of titles and same-day ports if people bought into the idea. And why wouldn’t Activision want a full non-watered down version of Call of Duty 2016 on the go with the GameBoy (and as a consequence, the new Nintendo 8).

Well this was much longer than I anticipated… but the gist is making the best of the current situation, and preparing for one hell of a launch with their next system(s) and letting them stick to one architecture regardless of whether it’s played on the go or the TV. That could be their new gimmick without it seeming to the mass market to be a gimmick in line with motion control, 3D, Kinect, tablet controllers etc. In another words, stick with what works, make it lean and cost effective. The 3rd party devs and publishers can then go port-crazy with Ultimate Edition Bundles of Mass Effect 4, 5, and 6 and the Titanfall 3 Extreme Edition.

This sounds way too smart and forward-thinking for Nintendo

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular

The problem is that so far it's the only one of its kind. The rest of the PS4's library are multiplatform games.

Not true, Killzone looked stunning as well on PS4. it had great looking environments and characters. Lots of content too if you were into the multiplayer

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    My strategy for Nintendo is simple - Pokemons.

• Options

Not true, Killzone looked stunning as well on PS4. it had great looking environments and characters. Lots of content too if you were into the multiplayer

That's right, I guess Knack too, but I had that chart on my mind that's been floating around the web recently that's comparing the first five months of PS4 and Xbox One games.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    My realistic prediction for this year and beyond:

Mario Kart 8 - May
    Hyrule Warriors - August
    X - September
    Yarn Yoshi - October
    Bayonetta 2 - October
    Super Mario Galaxy 3 - November
    Super Smash 4 - December

SMT X Fire Emblem - 2015
    Legend of Zelda Underworld - 2015

I think Mario Galaxy 3 is in the works, or I hope it is. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'll need new pants if Galaxy 3 is announced.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I'm sure they're working on a new Mario, but I doubt it'll be another Galaxy.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    My dream announcement is a Galaxy HD Collection released in the summer and Galaxy 3 released in the winter.

That would make E3 by itself.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Less HD remakes, more new games, kplzthx.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    I agree...except for Galaxy. I really need my HDification of those games. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind HD ports - not full remakes like Zelda WW - as download releases though. I'd rebuy Endless Ocean, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 or the Zeldas with just up-sampled graphics and remapped controls.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Honestly if I were Nintendo I'd have access to a bunch of sales, marketing, demographic, usage, and legal data that I don't now.

So my current idea is "Buy up a few indie developers and put them to work getting every single NES, SNES, GBA, N64, Gamecube, Genesis, Arcade, Atari, T-16, and Neo-Geo game up on the eShop" Talk to the companies that own the rights and say "we'll do all the work, and you'll just sit back and make 50% of all the revenue".

If they can flood, just inundate the eShop with games, and then start doing Steam-style sales, that's basically an endless supply of money for as long as the eShop remains up and running. Yes, some lesser known titles will get lost in the deluge, but they need content right now, and they need to get people in the habit of checking the eShop every day to see what's new and what's on sale.

But like I said, Nintendo has a metric fuckton of data that we don't. For all I know Earthbound sold fifteen copies, and three of them were to me.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Galaxy team worked on 3D World, so I'd be fucking shocked if they had a game ready to go by this Fall that came anywhere close to how dang good 3D World was.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I'm sure they're working on a new Mario, but I doubt it'll be another Galaxy.

It doesn't necessarily need to be called "Galaxy", but they really need another game in the 64/Sunshine/Galaxy tradition. I like SM3DW for what it is, but it's just not the Mario experience I'm looking for.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    I sure HOPE the next Mario installment won't be another galaxy :/

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I'm really hoping for something more 64 or Sunshine than Galaxy. Give me more exploratory platformers.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    The Galaxy team worked on 3D World, so I'd be fucking shocked if they had a game ready to go by this Fall that came anywhere close to how dang good 3D World was.

Galaxy 1 & 2 were made by two different development groups within Nintendo EAD. They could have a completely different group starting up or currently working on Galaxy 3.

In other words: Let me dream! :(

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    I sure HOPE the next Mario installment won't be another galaxy :/

33dxc8j.jpg

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    I feel like I'm one of the few people that really liked Sunshine. The water pack added a lot to your freedom of movement.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I love Sunshine. So you are not alone.

Edit: Except for the blue coins, because they are terrible and whoever put them in the game should feel terrible. Also, way way waaaaaaaaaay to few levels.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    XobyteXobyte Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    My dream announcement is a Galaxy HD Collection released in the summer and Galaxy 3 released in the winter.

That would make E3 by itself.

I'd love an HD treatment of the Galaxy games, as well as the remaining Wii Zelda games. TP especially looks particularly bad on my 55" TV.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Next Pokemon game to have two versions like always, but this time one version is on the WiiU.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Something as fun to explore and beautiful as Galaxy.

But maybe not the same setting.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Next Pokemon game to have two versions like always, but this time one version is on the WiiU.

That's so devious. So evil. It may be brilliant.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Two versions as usual. Both only available on WiiU.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options

Edit: Except for the blue coins, because they are terrible and whoever put them in the game should feel terrible. Also, way way waaaaaaaaaay to few levels.

Has it ever been proven that the game was released early (or rushed) and that the blue coins were just a game lengthening tactic or is that all just fan assumptions?

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options

Very nice - I was even thinking Pokemon Colosseum or Pokemon Fighting Game with 3DS connectivity to use your Pokemon from XY (or further back using the bank).

Truthfully a port of the Pokemon Trading Game from the PC would be huge. Imagine one digital card collection of Pokemon, playable on PC, 3DS and Wii U with the same interface? It would help both console sales and card sales.

They've never been shy about leveraging the franchise on consoles (PokePark, Snap, Hey You Pikachu, etc) - I'm surprised we haven't seen anything already.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

Well, as a comparison, the turnaround on Galaxy 2 was like, what, a year? And it is (debateably, I guess) better than Galaxy 1.

Granted, the team is also on record saying that Galaxy 2 was so fast because they had already effectively made the game during Galaxy 1's development, but they were 'extra' stages that they just finished and polished.

It could happen with a 3D World 2, but on the other hand, 3D World has so many maps, and the game like never ends, so, they probably blew their load there.

In unrelated news, why do I keep getting double quotes when I hit quote?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Some interesting info about the development of NES Remix:
    "From the company side of things, they really wanted us to focus on Super Mario 3D World, but I sort of snuck off on my own free time and worked on getting some of the Famicom games up and running on Wii U. One of the results from my experimentation was [the NES-inspired minigame] Luigi Bros., which we included in 3D World. The other thing that came to fruition was NES Remix.

Personally speaking, I didn’t get to play a lot of Famicom [the Japanese name for the NES] games as a kid. So one reason, that might be a little selfish, was I wanted to play these games at work. And this was one way for me to do that. I wanted to go back and experience some of those titles. That being said, as adults we're busy people and we don’t have a lot of time to play a game from beginning to end. For example, we don't have time to sit down with one of the early Zelda titles and play it from beginning to end. So I really wanted a chance to play some specific scenes.

I want these to be true to the spirit of the originals. There were things that happened based on the technology at the time. For example, there was object clipping. If too many objects were onscreen at the same time, the games would drop frames. I think it's really important to keep that flavor. To me, part of the challenge is, if you're dropping frames, you're moving slower. And the processing speed is dropping, but we need to recreate some of that because it did help make the game a little easier.

When we started development on NES Remix 2, we weren't sure if the first NES Remix was going to be successful. I was really worried what the response for this title was going to be. Luckily, once it was launched, the reception was actually very good.

[Each scene for each game] represents the fundamental criteria to play these games. They're the famous scenes that everyone wants to play. It just so happens they naturally contain a look back to some of the strategic tip & tricks you would find in game magazines and things like that. So a lot of these scenes are either encompassing things that you learned throughout the game, or they're the parts that taught you how to play the rest of the game. I really think that playing these scenes would actually lead back to success in playing the main game. It's an interesting effect.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/23/how-mario-3d-worldas-co-director-gave-nes-games-a-second-life

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    I really want a continuation of 3D world if only for the bite-size levels perfect for multiplayer.
    I played through the game with my fiance and it was such a great experience, we loved it, and I would like that to continue more than I would like to play through galaxy again alone. That's just me though.

I also would love to see another luigi's mansion game, i think that's a game that gets forgotten about when people say their favourite 3DS games. It's just fantastic all of the time. Also Pikmin but we won't get another Pikmin game for at least six years, IF EVER. Pikmin 3 was as perfect culmination of mechanics and intentions as a game can be. I think the series may have peaked there so while I would love to see another game, maybe it won't happen.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    A pokemon snap using the Gamepad to take pictures is such a gigantic waste of potential that I have no idea what Nintendo is doing. The majority of their new games barely even use the pad.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I used to print my pictures at Blockbuster's PokeSnap print stations! That would be such a great game!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      I feel like I'm one of the few people that really liked Sunshine. The water pack added a lot to your freedom of movement.

Free to explore the boring, repetitive, uninspired environments.

Then make Yoshi vomit all over tourists, then dissolve him in water.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    • Options
      jothkijothki Registered User regular

Has it ever been proven that the game was released early (or rushed) and that the blue coins were just a game lengthening tactic or is that all just fan assumptions?

I see what they were going for with the blue coins. Every other 3D Mario game has rewarded you for poking around with 1-ups, which are utterly worthless non-rewards. Sunshine actually gave you credit towards completion. They just set it up in a way that didn't work particularly well if you actually wanted to find all of them. I actually would like something similar in future games, just improved.

What I really miss is Sunshine's level design. Levels that you could roam around freely in and have fun while doing so, with the current challenge superimposed over that structure. It was exactly what I was hoping for in a sequel to 64, and compared to that, the linear, isolated structure of most of Galaxy 1 and almost all of Galaxy 2 was a disappointment.