Options

Wii U Thread: THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ShatterShockShatterShock Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I feel like I'm one of the few people that really liked Sunshine. The water pack added a lot to your freedom of movement.

Mario Sunshine is the worst 3D Mario.

The worst 3D Mario is still one of the best games in the business.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Awesome, Hex Heroes hit their funding goal.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Mario Sunshine has creepy Yoshis that dissolve in water.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I liked Mario Sunshine much more than 64 or Galaxy.

It was just more fun.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Sunshine is an incredible game. I enjoy it very much.

Of course, I would KILL for a Galaxy 1 & 2 HD port for WiiU. Oh man.. how awesome that would be.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Sunshine has a slightly undercooked feeling to it.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

It was just more fun.

You're like my polar opposite.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

I agree, and still feel that it's arguably the best. Everything since then has felt like they've been playing limbo on top of the polygon ceiling.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

I agree, and still feel that it's arguably the best. Everything since then has felt like they've been playing limbo on top of the polygon ceiling.
    Okay, you're going to have to explain that one to me.

Are you saying they're going after low-hanging stuff, and are barely on the edge of failure in the way Sonic used to fail, back in the '0[x]s?

Are you saying they hit a peak of how fun Mario can be, and have struggled to find a way to improve when the games aren't quirkily flawed to begin with?

Are you saying that Mario games nowadays are just ways to show off what the current system's graphics can now do?

Help me out, here.

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »

It was just more fun.

Just call me Eradleks.

• Options

It was just more fun.

Just call me Eradleks.

I most certainly will not!

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Are you saying they're going after low-hanging stuff, and are barely on the edge of failure in the way Sonic used to fail, back in the '0[x]s?

Are you saying they hit a peak of how fun Mario can be, and have struggled to find a way to improve when the games aren't quirkily flawed to begin with?

Are you saying that Mario games nowadays are just ways to show off what the current system's graphics can now do?

Help me out, here.

I'm saying that they managed to successfully transition from 2D to 3D where so many others failed by discarding some of the basic assumptions of what a platformer has to be like, but that they've now started reapplying those assumptions again instead of pushing the genre forward. They're taking a model that's fundamentally flawed and applying so much effort that it somehow ends up working, when they could be applying that same amount of effort on further improving their earlier innovations.

• Options

It was just more fun.

Just call me Eradleks.

I most certainly will not!

Don't be such a Gnolne.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Help me out, here.

I'm saying that they managed to successfully transition from 2D to 3D where so many others failed by discarding some of the basic assumptions of what a platformer has to be like, but that they've now started reapplying those assumptions again instead of pushing the genre forward. They're taking a model that's fundamentally flawed and applying so much effort that it somehow ends up working, when they could be applying that same amount of effort on further improving their earlier innovations.

Fundamentally flawed? What?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

Help me out, here.

You've completely lost me. How are platformers fundamentally flawed? There was good reason as to why they were the most popular genre in the 16 bit days.

Care to elaborate? How could ignoring the lessons of the past and improving upon "earlier innovations" make a better game?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I'm under no illusion that there is always room to innovate. Or I guess I should say, that remaining undiscovered innovations are going to be so novel that they change the world.

Sometimes you reach a really good standard that stays consistently relevant, and variations on that theme are going to be enough to keep things feeling fresh for years or decades.

I'm not saying that anyone should rest on their laurels, only that I don't expect another Super Mario World -> Mario 64 jump anytime soon.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

Help me out, here.

You've completely lost me. How are platformers fundamentally flawed? There was good reason as to why they were the most popular genre in the 16 bit days.

Care to elaborate? How could ignoring the lessons of the past and improving upon "earlier innovations" make a better game?

He's not saying platformers are fundamentally flawed. He's saying that applying the same gameplay aesthetics as used by 2D plaformers, in a 3D environment, is fundamentally flawed, and that games like Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy worked by bucking some of those aeshetics in favor of a more exploratory manner of play. And is saying that they have to put an extreme amount of effort into making a closer-to-old-style platformer, like Mario 3D World, work, which could instead be focused on making a game with a play style more conducive to 3D environments even better.

Personally, though, I don't quite agree.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Never thought I'd again see the day that there are more 2D platformers than 3D platformers being released.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I'm under no illusion that there is always room to innovate. Or I guess I should say, that remaining undiscovered innovations are going to be so novel that they change the world.

Sometimes you reach a really good standard that stays consistently relevant, and variations on that theme are going to be enough to keep things feeling fresh for years or decades.

I'm not saying that anyone should rest on their laurels, only that I don't expect another Super Mario World -> Mario 64 jump anytime soon.

To me the best 'innovation' of this currently is that we're pretty much getting everything. Like 2D Marios? Covered. 3D Marios? Covered. Portable Marios? Covered. Mini-game Marios? Covered. Racing Mario? Covered. Shit, even RPG Marios? Covered. And that's just one IP.

Crabapples can get itchy anuses about the WiiU but man if there has been a better time in history to be a Nintendo fan than now, I don't know when that'd be

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Where's my new Mario Teaches Typing Nintendo?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

Oh, shit. I had that game as a kid. It kicked ass.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Oh let's see, new trailer...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXZGpG5rXQ

WOW November!

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    There's no chance in hell that is WiiU footage.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    There's no chance in hell that is WiiU footage.

It's likely all bullshots run off of some insane computer that the average consumer could only hope of owning.

I'm really sick of the practice personally.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    While I doubt those are WiiU screenshots, I imagine they're probably at least PS4 level. It's not unusual for racing games to have crazy high fidelity on the vehicles themselves and a few other details then completely skimp on other things. For instance, even in that video sometimes you get a few glimpses of trees and holy shit we're back in 1999.

• Options
    ShatterShockShatterShock Registered User regular
    Can't wait for the comparison video between the Wii U, PS4 and PC versions of CARS. It would be a confirmation of the obvious, but watching the ensuing console warrior smack talk should be fun regardless.

Between Mario Kart 8, The Crew, GRID Autosport, the rumored Forza Horizon 2 and Project CARS, it's shaping up to be a strong year for racers, even if Need for Speed really isn't coming this year. Hey, maybe Drive Club might actually turn out to not be vaporware!

Oh god, I just realized there's just over five weeks left until Mario Kart 8. These are the final days of my life without a Wii U.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    For my money, and again not a racing game fan, I'll take the art of Mario Kart 8 over superduperhighrezcarsracer645523

• Options
    Plus, you know, Mario Kart is just plain fun.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    For my money, and again not a racing game fan, I'll take the art of Mario Kart 8 over superduperhighrezcarsracer645523

Mario Kart, F-Zero, and Wipeout are the only racing series I enjoy. :(

At least they're still making one of those! :D

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    The Extreme G series was pretty rad too when that was still a thing.

Mario Kart is easily my favorite racer though and always has been.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

It was just more fun.

And that game is the opposite of polar.

• Options
    fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    I may be wrong, but I think the last time a "serious" racing game was on a Nintendo console was World Driver Championship.

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    When you say serious do you mean like Forza? Or like Need for Speed? Because Most Wanted U is amazing.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Taramoor wrote: »
    When you say serious do you mean like Forza? Or like Need for Speed? Because Most Wanted U is amazing.

Took the words out of my mouth. By serious do you mean "Simulator" or can Arcade racing games count? Because you've got Most Wanted U on the Wii U, plus a few Need for Speed titles on the Wii.

Heck there was a Trackmania title as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fS2Mlr5owI

img_main.jpg

Pokemon has that market cornered these days.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options

img_main.jpg

Pokemon has that market cornered these days.

Just a shame it never reached North America.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

Of course, I would KILL for a Galaxy 1 & 2 HD port for WiiU. Oh man.. how awesome that would be.

Sunshine is better than Galaxy and 64 by default

Because you have to use a Wii remote to play Galaxy and the N64 controller to play Mario 64, both of which are incredibly unpleasant experiences

Admittedly I ended up having a really good time with Super Mario 64 on the Virtual Console, using the GameCube controller

Still felt Sunshine was superior though

• Options
    I'd say I've never disagreed with you more, but this doesn't even break the top 10.

• Options

Because you have to use a Wii remote to play Galaxy and the N64 controller to play Mario 64, both of which are incredibly unpleasant experiences

Admittedly I ended up having a really good time with Super Mario 64 on the Virtual Console, using the GameCube controller

I was wrong Viskod but this is my polar opposite.

I don't even know where to begin...

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

Mario Sunshine requires Analog Triggers for the level of 'water pressure' you apply. It's a core mechanic of the game and probably one of the reasons we will never see an HD remake or even a port over to the Virtual Console if they did GC games. It sucks but... there it is.

Galaxy won't require the Wiimote if they switch/give the option of moving the the pointer mechanic to the gamepad screen, or even use the gamepad itself as a pointer which some games use. This is something I hope they do because I love the feel of the gamepad, it's one of my favorite controllers. (I have big-ass hands)

Now, for Galaxy 3, there is nothing stopping them from adding Island Planets and re-introducing FLUDD there. The mechanics for pressure would have to be changed or removed, but the core mechanic would be the same. I think that would be a fair compromise.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud