As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wii U Thread: THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Still slowly working my way through NES Remix I. I'm really tempted to buy Ice Climbers VC now. I checked out the eShop and it says that if you have NES Remix I & II, you can do the Challenge Mode that was from an old Nintendo tournament. Anyone tried that yet?

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Man, Nintendo should just hire me to walk around dispelling misconceptions about the Wii U. Had lunch with some friends today, one mentioned she still plays a lot of Mario Kart on her DS. Asked if she was hyped for MK8, and they launched into this rant about how they're never going to buy a console with baby's first tablet as the only control scheme, and they really liked the WiiMote and don't understand why Nintendo would ditch it.

Facepalm.
    So.
    Hard.

And then the learning began.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So, um, not that I badly want to play NES Remix stages from Mario Open Golf or whatever, but how do you unlock them? I've cleared pretty much every stage (Mario 2, Mario 2, Mario 3, Dr. Mario, Wario's Woods, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Zelda 2, Kirby, Punch Out, Remix 1, Remix 2, and Bonus), but the remaining games have not appeared.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    In Remix 1, Urban Champion, Donkey Kong 3, and I think one other game only appeared in the remixes and bonuses.

I'm assuming the same is true of Ice Hockey and Golf and such.

Well, I did see Ice Hockey in Bonus. But no Mario Golf, and I've cleared them all...

Side note: Shadow Link can go to hell.

corner crouch mode engage

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Like many of you I'm trying to wrap up NES Remix before I delve into its sequel.

But y'know what? Fuck those Golf challenges. I hated that game back in the early 90s and I hate it now.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    Like many of you I'm trying to wrap up NES Remix before I delve into its sequel.

But y'know what? Fuck those Golf challenges. I hated that game back in the early 90s and I hate it now.

I didn't mind them because they go by so fast. You can attempt one of them several times in the amount of time it takes to rainbow some of the other challenges.

• DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Still slowly working my way through NES Remix I. I'm really tempted to buy Ice Climbers VC now. I checked out the eShop and it says that if you have NES Remix I & II, you can do the Challenge Mode that was from an old Nintendo tournament. Anyone tried that yet?

I have. I got 29th place on launch day after one try. I have no idea how the scoring works for it. There's just numbers and multipliers. Probably won't try again unless I figure that out or it's explained to me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Please tell me there's a challenge where you have to beat him without moving

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    BlueBlue wrote: »

There's a shadow link challenge in A Link Between Worlds that asks you to beat him without taking a single step. Perhaps it's a coincidence, after all there are a lot of different challenges with varying requirements, but it made me think of Zelda 2.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Probably the strangest pre-order offer I've ever seen:

gascash.jpg

Yep, free gas with pre-ordering Mario Kart 8 at Best Buy.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I have. I got 29th place on launch day after one try. I have no idea how the scoring works for it. There's just numbers and multipliers. Probably won't try again unless I figure that out or it's explained to me.

You have six minutes and twenty one seconds to complete goals in two games, Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3, then use the remaining time to rack up points in Dr. Mario. The score you get in Super Mario Bros. is multiplied by two, the score you get in Dr. Mario is multiplied by 100, and the scores from all three games are added up for your combined final score. (As an aside, I'm kind of surprised that the Mario Bros. 3 multiplier was one and not ten.) And that's all there is to it. Now get out there and play!

As an aside, the leaderboard resets each day, so there's plenty of opportunity to try for a top score. You even unlock a Miiverse stamp if you get in the top 10! Here's my top score so far:
    NESRemix_Championship_1904700_s.jpg

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »

There's a shadow link challenge in A Link Between Worlds that asks you to beat him without taking a single step. Perhaps it's a coincidence, after all there are a lot of different challenges with varying requirements, but it made me think of Zelda 2.

I still haven't gotten that one. Unfortunately, not moving isn't enough; you can't let him move you (say, by hitting you), either.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

gascash.jpg

At least it's practical.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    MrBlarney wrote: »

You have six minutes and twenty one seconds to complete goals in two games, Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3, then use the remaining time to rack up points in Dr. Mario. The score you get in Super Mario Bros. is multiplied by two, the score you get in Dr. Mario is multiplied by 100, and the scores from all three games are added up for your combined final score. (As an aside, I'm kind of surprised that the Mario Bros. 3 multiplier was one and not ten.) And that's all there is to it. Now get out there and play!

As an aside, the leaderboard resets each day, so there's plenty of opportunity to try for a top score. You even unlock a Miiverse stamp if you get in the top 10! Here's my top score so far:
    NESRemix_Championship_1904700_s.jpg

Impressive.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

gascash.jpg

At least it's practical.

To hell with practical. I want a blue shell!

/pout

To hell with [X]. I want [Y]!

/pout

The Internet.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

gascash.jpg

wow, 2.5 gallons of gas!

• b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    Less than that for me, my bitch takes premium..

/pout

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

gascash.jpg

wow, 2.5 gallons of gas!

Enough to do one cup in Mario Kart!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

gascash.jpg

wow, 2.5 gallons of gas!

Enough to do one cup in Mario Kart!

Actually Gadd industries has perfected mushroom fuel.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    RE: Nes Remix.

I am two bonus levels away from rainbow starring everything.

Hopefully I'll mop that up today and I'll buy the new one. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    RE: Best Buy Pre-order

Apparently it's just a $10 MasterCard (and not even a physical card). So you can use it for whatever.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Whelp, looks like I'm preordering from BB. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!

/pout

The Internet human race because some people would surprisingly rather have some things instead of others because, free will.

Viskod wrote: »

/pout

The Internet human race because some people would surprisingly rather have some things instead of others because, free will.

That's true.

...I'm not sure, but were you saying I think that's not the case? I feel like I may have really mangled my non-point.

I said I'd rather have the blue shell that Europe is getting than 10 bucks worth of gas. You called me the internet. I felt like you were saying it was silly for me to prefer one thing over the other.

Because really, when are comparisons to the 'the internet' ever complimentary.

edited April 2014
    Nah, I was making a joke by generalizing the sentence to the point that it could be referring to any example of someone saying something similar, as the internet's full of that.

I even removed the part of the quote tag putting in a specific name, as I didn't want it to look like I was referring to anyone in the specific.

Clearly, it was a poorly-constructed and ill-conceived joke, whose implications I didn't fully account for. Sorry.

That last bit wasn't sarcasm or anything else insincere.

Enlong on
    Ah. Alrighty.

• Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Anyone know if the digital price of Mario Kart will be less than or the same as the retail price? I figure the retail will come with a plastic steering wheel, so that should knock $5 off the digital...

NNID = Zepp914
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the digital price of Mario Kart will be less than or the same as the retail price? I figure the retail will come with a plastic steering wheel, so that should knock $5 off the digital...

Since when is the digital price less at launch for digital? Especially on a Nintendo console?

Hint:
    It's not

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Since when is the digital price less at launch for digital? Especially on a Nintendo console?

Hint:
    It's not

They obviously want you to buy retail. They shouldn't bother offering digital at all then.

NNID = Zepp914
    Dirk2112 wrote: »

Hint:
    It's not

They obviously want you to buy retail. They shouldn't bother offering digital at all then.

No, they want you to buy digital, they get more of the money that way. However, they also don't want to piss off their retail partners, because they know that historically their market has been the "pick it up at Wallmart" type.

Everybody keeps the digital price equivalent to the retail price don't they? But at least with Nintendo when I want to buy a game digitally I can start that download like, right at midnight, and don't have to wait for an update "some time" later that evening or the next day.

Everybody keeps the digital price equivalent to the retail price don't they? But at least with Nintendo when I want to buy a game digitally I can start that download like, right at midnight, and don't have to wait for an update "some time" later that evening or the next day.

And while you're waiting for midnight, I'll be downloading it at 9 PM. Ha! :P

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Everybody keeps the digital price equivalent to the retail price don't they?

At launch, yeah, most games for most platforms have the same price physical or digital. Other platforms, though, seem to see big sales and permanent price drops on digital faster than Nintendo, but that may be confirmation bias on my part.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

At launch, yeah, most games for most platforms have the same price physical or digital. Other platforms, though, seem to see big sales and permanent price drops on digital faster than Nintendo, but that may be confirmation bias on my part.

Nah, there's loads of games on the Xbox and PlayStation platforms that have higher prices than you can find buying used on Amazon. Permanent price drops do happen but generally not fast enough to keep up with retail.

But they both have more frequent sales, which can frequently beat retail. Six of one, half dozen of another I guess.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Houn wrote: »

At launch

That's all I meant.