As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wii U Thread: THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Let's not forget Square finally showing Kingdom Hearts 3 and rebranding Vs XIII as XV.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I hope so. We haven't had an exciting E3 in years. I truly hope these 'bombs' are dropped.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Ah so they're doing the exact same thing again, huh? That worked out so well last year that they're doing it again this year!

I swear to God if we don't see any Zelda or Metroid I'm going to lose my mind.

Not really, no.

And they're gonna announce the new Zelda. It is the one thing that is 100% certain they're gonna do.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    I also hope for a new Metroid, but I'm hoping it's for 3DS personally. Then next year they can announce a WiiU Metroid.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Awkward?

Well, okay, yeah, on occasion. But Nintendo usually managed to place some fun spectacle into the event. Like the Zelda pit orchestra thing.

Sure, but there also all that wireless interference messing up the Skyward Sword presentation.

I dunno, I just don't really see the point of big, overblown presentations. They mostly offer very little insight into the actual games themselves and are often just a giant PR wankfest. If the majority of games are available to play on the showfloor, then everything's great.

The conferences are usually only open to the media anyway, right? They're gonna report on what Nintendo is showing either way, so for the average consumer it doesn't really make a difference.

Giant PR wankfests are the point of big, overblown presentations. They don't have to offer insight, just have to have some fancy shit to show and shiny things to grab attention.

And has been mentioned non-gaming journalists cover E3 so that's also a draw.

Viskod wrote: »
    Awkward?

Well, okay, yeah, on occasion. But Nintendo usually managed to place some fun spectacle into the event. Like the Zelda pit orchestra thing.

Sure, but there also all that wireless interference messing up the Skyward Sword presentation.

I dunno, I just don't really see the point of big, overblown presentations. They mostly offer very little insight into the actual games themselves and are often just a giant PR wankfest. If the majority of games are available to play on the showfloor, then everything's great.

The conferences are usually only open to the media anyway, right? They're gonna report on what Nintendo is showing either way, so for the average consumer it doesn't really make a difference.

Giant PR wankfests are the point of big, overblown presentations. They don't have to offer insight, just have to have some fancy shit to show and shiny things to grab attention.

And has been mentioned non-gaming journalists cover E3 so that's also a draw.

Well, if they cover E3 then they're gonna cover Nintendo's digital event and the showfloor demos as well.

Either way, I think you guys are overestimating the importance of the mainstream media in this case.

King RiptorBlueBlue
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I also hope for a new Metroid, but I'm hoping it's for 3DS personally. Then next year they can announce a WiiU Metroid.

Use the Gamepad as a visor, Nintendo. You know you want to.

Brainiac 8
    edited April 2014
    E3 prediction time hoooo!

Here's what I think they're gonna announce / show:

New Wii U Zelda (this is an absolutely certainty), release date 2015
    Hyrule Warriors - more info in general, will probably be playable on the showfloor, released later this year
    Majora's Mask 3DS - pretty obvious that they're gonna do it at some point, they've got most of the assets anyway from OoT 3D, released later this year

a new 2D Mario for 3DS, released later this year

Smash Bros - We're finally gonna know what the bottom screen / Gamepad will be for, release date for the 3DS version (I'm guessing August), Newcomer: Shulk

X: new trailer, new title, playable on the showfloor, release date: Christmas 2014

Bayonetta 2: new trailer, playable on the showfloor, release date: Autumn 2014

New Pokemon game: either a Ruby & Sapphire remake or a sequel to X&Y, release date: Autumn 2014.

Miyamoto's new IP he's been working on. Released later this year.

Animal Crossing Wii U, release date: 2015.

Mario Kart 8 DLC - retro tracks & characters, out now!

Yarn Yoshi: trailer, playable on show floor, release date: Christmas 2014

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem: trailer, release date: 2015

Nintendo DS Virtual Console games on Wii U, out now!

Maz- on
    Absalon
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Why do you think WiiU Zelda is absolutely certain? It would not at all surprise me if they don't even mention its name.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Why do you think WiiU Zelda is absolutely certain? It would not at all surprise me if they don't even mention its name.

They mentioned that they almost showed it off at last year's E3, but that it wasn't quite up to their standards yet. Since then, Aonuma talked briefly in a Direct about it, with the two key points being that they're re-thinking some Zelda conventions like "Zelda is a game you play by yourself" and "Zelda games have a very linear mode of progression and dungeons must be cleared in a specific order".

If they nearly showed it off last year, then surely it's ready 12 months later.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

Fairly sure at one of the directs they specifically said that there is a new Zelda in the works and that they'll have more information at E3.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Well alright then. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126

They mentioned that they almost showed it off at last year's E3, but that it wasn't quite up to their standards yet. Since then, Aonuma talked briefly in a Direct about it, with the two key points being that they're re-thinking some Zelda conventions like "Zelda is a game you play by yourself" and "Zelda games have a very linear mode of progression and dungeons must be cleared in a specific order".

A co op Zelda game where Link and Zelda are played together and a second player can drop in and out to control one of them would be a great thing to do. Single player mode, Link and Zelda each get different tools and you switch between the active one with the touch of a button to advance.

Sort of how the Wild Arms games handled dungeons.

Use the Gamepad as a visor, Nintendo. You know you want to.

Bring back the Virtual Boy just for this.

A co op Zelda game where Link and Zelda are played together and a second player can drop in and out to control one of them would be a great thing to do. Single player mode, Link and Zelda each get different tools and you switch between the active one with the touch of a button to advance.

Sort of how the Wild Arms games handled dungeons.

Zelda could handle stuff with magic while Link uses tools. Stuff like Fire Arrows would be team attacks.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Player two is new character Nonag a gruff desert dweller who never fights bosses

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Maz-Agahnim
    Or yes, they could shake up the formula even more and team Link up with Gannondorf against a much stronger enemy.

Or yes, they could shake up the formula even more and team Link up with Gannondorf against a much stronger enemy.
    7d2UVfw.png

SyphonBlueXerinkLBD_Nytetrayn
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular

Personally think that would be a difficult one to resolve, considering Gannondorf is meant to be straight up evil already.

I like the idea of having Zelda as a character to control though, and largely from the perspective it stops her from being the damsel in distress type character. (Not that that is always the case, mind)

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    As long as Zelda isn't relegated to periodically tossing you arrows and rupees. "Link, catch!"

urahonky
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    There's no point in catering to game journalists. They've had 8th grade syndrome for since the N64 years. Even when Nintendo was doing well with the Wii and DS the press only skewed their stories for Nintendo's doom.

I'm ok with this version of E3 but I would like for them to spend some additional money of TV ads which is something the competition has been doing much better.

reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
    LBD_Nytetrayn
    As per someone on Gaf:
    Garou wrote:
    Live Press Conference:
    - Everybody not at E3 watches a stream
    - The Press watches it and writes about it afterwards

Digital Event:
    - Everybody not at E3 watches a stream
    - The Press watches it and writes about it afterwards

So?

The only thing that is different here is that the journalists don't get their ego stroked.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    MNC DoverNiceguyeddie616LBD_Nytetrayn
    That's assuming the Press even gives a shit to watch something online after being bombarded by new game and new tech and new flashy things every hour.

That's assuming the Press even gives a shit to watch something online after being bombarded by new game and new tech and new flashy things every hour.

Their job is to cover E3 and Nintendo. They did last year, they will this year.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    skeldareMaz-
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    There are very few of the gaming press that would be willing to miss out on covering a story (company specific new sites excluded).

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    God the gaming press are bitching and moaning about this, but it shouldn't have been a surprise at all.

They'll watch it and cover and I'll enjoy the fuck out if it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Nah.

We have seven characters that can use unique playstyles.

Early on link gets the ability to call on sage descendants via crystals

Goron,Zora and Kokiri/deku play like majoras mask and obviously have themed dungeons

Gerudo and Sheikah have stealth and inflitration skills .

Time sage can have all sorts of stuff

Zelda controls light.

By the end you can summon all seven for crazy puzzles player 2 can use the second screen or you can swirch freely

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The press and the public get the information at the same time, delivered straight from Nintendo, and news sites, blogs, and streaming services don't get the hits and ad money because we don't have to go through them.

So it's just like a Nintendo Direct, only bigger. I'm not seeing the downside.

• SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    I rather enjoy Nintendo Directs in general. What matters to me at E3 time is more WHAT they reveal as opposed to what venue/vehicle they use to deliver it.

I have to admit at being a little disappointed with no keynote, but that is mostly because I just love watching those and posting in the relevant threads here at the same time. It's like Christmas. But it is unfair of me to expect Nintendo to cater to that, and besides, posting during the Directs is almost as fun.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
    Viskod
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The scale of the battles in the new Zelda sounds really appealing. I hope this Link ends up being Oni Link. That fits really well with this incarnation.

I'm so glad you have faith that they'll watch it and cover it.

To me the keynotes were all about hearing the crowd reaction and the hype building that came from that. Remember when Snake showed up in Smash Bros? To me nothing will be crazier than hearing the crowd's reaction after hearing the "beep beep" after the trailer.

That energy goes into articles and that energy then gets passed onto the consumers reading these articles.

Like it or not the keynotes were a pretty big thing. Notice a trend of the downward spiral of the WiiU and the lack of keynotes? I'm sure it's not just coincidence. But you guys can believe that they're basically the same thing. That's cool too.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

I'm so glad you have faith that they'll watch it and cover it.

To me the keynotes were all about hearing the crowd reaction and the hype building that came from that. Remember when Snake showed up in Smash Bros? To me nothing will be crazier than hearing the crowd's reaction after hearing the "beep beep" after the trailer.

That energy goes into articles and that energy then gets passed onto the consumers reading these articles.

Like it or not the keynotes were a pretty big thing. Notice a trend of the downward spiral of the WiiU and the lack of keynotes? I'm sure it's not just coincidence. But you guys can believe that they're basically the same thing. That's cool too.

There was no crowd reaction to that Brawl trailer.

It was privately shown halfway through E3 and then uploaded onto the internet.

Someone smuggled out a reaction from the private press screening and then synced it up with the video a couple months later, but you're misremembering if you think there was one during the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzQJpP8M7XA

What you're thinking of is THIS moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE2Dc1sx71U

LBD_Nytetrayn
    Okay but that reaction video for Brawl is what I'm talking about. Those people were pumped. It doesn't matter that the video released on the Internet was without their reactions. Play that video without the sound and it doesn't give you the same effect. They NEED to be building hype/interest for their console and they need to show it off live and get the crowd pumped so they go around talking about it all day.

Krathoon wrote: »
    The scale of the battles in the new Zelda sounds really appealing. I hope this Link ends up being Oni Link. That fits really well with this incarnation.

I do like Oni demon devil oni god majin Fierce Deity Link.

edited April 2014
    Okay but that reaction video for Brawl is what I'm talking about. Those people were pumped. It doesn't matter that the video released on the Internet was without their reactions. Play that video without the sound and it doesn't give you the same effect. They NEED to be building hype/interest for their console and they need to show it off live and get the crowd pumped so they go around talking about it all day.

If they show off something awesome, it's gonna get a positive / hype-building reaction no matter how they present it.

Maz- on
    Delphinidaes
    Will it? Has this worked before? Why do you think Microsoft and Sony wait until their keynote to drop bombs?

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Notice a trend of the downward spiral of the WiiU and the lack of keynotes? I'm sure it's not just coincidence. But you guys can believe that they're basically the same thing. That's cool too.

But the 3DS continues being successful, while Sony's live conferences have put the Vita in a downward spiral. I'm seeing a trend between a lack of live conferences and success of handhelds. I'm sure it's not just coincidence. But you can believe that they're unrelated, that's cool too.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    BlueBlue
    Will it? Has this worked before? Why do you think Microsoft and Sony wait until their keynote to drop bombs?

To go with a very recent example: the Smash Bros Direct was a huge hit and got loads of people extremely excited about the game.

Are you being serious here? Do you honestly believe it'll make any difference at all if the journalists writing about the event will be sitting in front of a stage or in front of their computers?

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Nintendo just needs to go Full Pokemon. Pokemon Z, Pokemon Fighting Game, Pokemon Colosseum Wii U, etc. I can't imagine any game that would push the system as quickly as a Pokemon Smash Bros game on Wii U only. Everyone loves Pokemon.

Notice a trend of the downward spiral of the WiiU and the lack of keynotes? I'm sure it's not just coincidence. But you guys can believe that they're basically the same thing. That's cool too.

But the 3DS continues being successful, while Sony's live conferences have put the Vita in a downward spiral. I'm seeing a trend between a lack of live conferences and success of handhelds. I'm sure it's not just coincidence. But you can believe that they're unrelated, that's cool too.

It sure does. And guess what they had when they brought the 3DS back from the brink of doom? That's right. A real E3 about it.

I get that this is the WiiU thread so we'll be cool with what they do. But honestly no keynote is hurting them more than helping them save a buck. Why couldn't they do both? Release a Direct or whatever they want and have a keynote? If this no-keynote thing is such a money saver then why aren't Microsoft and Sony doing it?

SyphonBlue