As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wii U Thread: THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    It actually makes coverage of the Nintendo news easier. Journalists can scroll forward and backward through the conference instantly to pick apart every word and quote it all exactly.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Also the Vita isn't crashing and burning like the WiiU is.

It actually makes coverage of the Nintendo news easier. Journalists can scroll forward and backward through the conference instantly to pick apart every word and quote it all exactly.

Because they can't watch the replay later if they want to talk about it word for word?

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

It kinda is. It's doing kinda sorta okay in Japan but terribly everywhere else. The Wii U isn't doing much better but has two games coming out this year that will sell a hojillion copies (Mario Kart & Smash) whereas the Vita has absolutely nothing.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    Maz- wrote: »
    Will it? Has this worked before? Why do you think Microsoft and Sony wait until their keynote to drop bombs?

To go with a very recent example: the Smash Bros Direct was a huge hit and got loads of people extremely excited about the game.

Are you being serious here? Do you honestly believe it'll make any difference at all if the journalists writing about the event will be sitting in front of a stage or in front of their computers?

Explain why we even have the E3 then? Why have keynotes if you think it's a waste of time/money for the companies? Because it builds hype for a product.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Will it? Has this worked before? Why do you think Microsoft and Sony wait until their keynote to drop bombs?

Um have they? Because Microsoft in particular has pretty much forgotten about video games.

I guess ESPN was a bomb though

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Why do you think WiiU Zelda is absolutely certain? It would not at all surprise me if they don't even mention its name.

They mentioned that they almost showed it off at last year's E3, but that it wasn't quite up to their standards yet. Since then, Aonuma talked briefly in a Direct about it, with the two key points being that they're re-thinking some Zelda conventions like "Zelda is a game you play by yourself" and "Zelda games have a very linear mode of progression and dungeons must be cleared in a specific order".

If they nearly showed it off last year, then surely it's ready 12 months later.

A co op Zelda game where Link and Zelda are played together and a second player can drop in and out to control one of them would be a great thing to do. Single player mode, Link and Zelda each get different tools and you switch between the active one with the touch of a button to advance.

Sort of how the Wild Arms games handled dungeons.

Reminds me of Portrait of Ruin, which was pretty fun. I just hope in this hypothetical future Zelda, Link and Zelda don't get any voice clips.
    Jonathan! Charlotte! Jonathan! Charlotte! Jonathan! Charlotte!

It kinda is. It's doing kinda sorta okay in Japan but terribly everywhere else. The Wii U isn't doing much better but has two games coming out this year that will sell a hojillion copies (Mario Kart & Smash) whereas the Vita has absolutely nothing.

That's because they announce things at E3. If, after E3, the Vita still has no games set for release this year then I'll agree with you.

To go with a very recent example: the Smash Bros Direct was a huge hit and got loads of people extremely excited about the game.

Are you being serious here? Do you honestly believe it'll make any difference at all if the journalists writing about the event will be sitting in front of a stage or in front of their computers?

Explain why we even have the E3 then? Why have keynotes if you think it's a waste of time/money for the companies? Because it builds hype for a product.

..and they can still do all that via hands-on demonstrations, playable demos and stuff like the Smash tournament on the showfloor.

Plus, we don't know yet what exactly their "Digital Event" will look like. The fact that they're calling it that and not Nintendo Direct could mean that it won't simply be a pre-recorded video. Maybe it'll have some sort of live component? I dunno.

Notice a trend of the downward spiral of the WiiU and the lack of keynotes? I'm sure it's not just coincidence. But you guys can believe that they're basically the same thing. That's cool too.

But the 3DS continues being successful, while Sony's live conferences have put the Vita in a downward spiral. I'm seeing a trend between a lack of live conferences and success of handhelds. I'm sure it's not just coincidence. But you can believe that they're unrelated, that's cool too.

It sure does. And guess what they had when they brought the 3DS back from the brink of doom? That's right. A real E3 about it.

I get that this is the WiiU thread so we'll be cool with what they do. But honestly no keynote is hurting them more than helping them save a buck. Why couldn't they do both? Release a Direct or whatever they want and have a keynote? If this no-keynote thing is such a money saver then why aren't Microsoft and Sony doing it?

All the companies do things differently. Not everyone has to do the same thing.

Microsoft had a super expensive private showing of Cirque Du Soleil to promote Kinect. I think there were elephants. Why didn't Nintendo do that?

aYdwZt0.jpg

Maybe spectacle is more important to them than content?

Maybe journalist sites offer them incentives to put on live events to keep themselves relevant? I don't know. What matters are the results, and the results of both are that everyone in the world watches the presentation at home and all the journos do their jobs and write about it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

Um have they? Because Microsoft in particular has pretty much forgotten about video games.

I guess ESPN was a bomb though

Well, to them it was a bomb. :P But it sparked a lot of interest outside the gaming sphere, which was sorta the point of it all.

I also want to take a moment and say: That E3 Nintendo video they just released was pretty damn fun to watch. Mega64 is awesome.

..and they can still do all that via hands-on demonstrations, playable demos and stuff like the Smash tournament on the showfloor.

Plus, we don't know yet what exactly their "Digital Event" will look like. The fact that they're calling it that and not Nintendo Direct could mean that it won't simply be a pre-recorded video. Maybe it'll have some sort of live component? I dunno.

I think it's because they won't have Iwata talking throughout.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So I'm guessing it's that time of year again?

nintendodoom39nn.gif

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Why is George Clooney doomed? Or is the world doomed because of George Clooney?

Umm... When did I say Nintendo was doomed? The WiiU is proper fucked at this point but Nintendo's fine.

Umm... When did I say Nintendo was doomed? The WiiU is proper fucked at this point but Nintendo's fine.

You didn't but I could see where it was going and wanted to beat it to the punch.

And I guess George Clooney's doomed since he's getting married and is no longer on the market. Or something.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    There's loads of room for debate on whether skipping an E3 presentation in favor of a video is a good idea or not.

But what there's not room for debate is -- why the fuck aren't we talking about Reggie Fils-Amech?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghEhI4CJjAM

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRN4x-jj4lWt9ap8lbY_NGim7CieLgb1Q7PNRMOVdX33KCbzLNfLg

Seriously, I've never seen a company more willing to make their executives look ludicrous than Nintendo.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Wait, cancer is doomed? That's great!

Or is it saying cancer is doom?

I don't think I can trust that chart's metrics.

I wonder who contacted who first about doing that video. If you've not watched any Mega64 videos... Hop over to their website and watch a few while on break. The guys are great!

(Plus I met them at PAX)

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Also, Nintendo directs and virtual conferences still get reaction videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOqxe_-Ta1w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCzJwlT63uQ

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Gamexplain has been doing deconstruction videos on mariokart and smash for like six months and theyre still not done covering everything.

The directs get poistive attention

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    I've seen the videos. My friend hasn't. This is the problem with what you guys are trying to say. E3 contains a boatload of non-gamer news journos.

I've seen the videos. My friend hasn't. This is the problem with what you guys are trying to say. E3 contains a boatload of non-gamer news journos.

..and they will cover Nintendo's presence at E3, including their Digital Event.

I'm also very relieved that the rainbow stars do nothing in NES Remix other than bragging rights. I'm pretty sure Mario Bros will be the death of me.

I'm sure they will. :)

edited April 2014
    I wonder who contacted who first about doing that video. If you've not watched any Mega64 videos... Hop over to their website and watch a few while on break. The guys are great!

(Plus I met them at PAX)

They've been friendly toward Nintendo for a long time now, since they tracked down Miyamoto and made a video with him ages ago.

Also I think Nintendo has a huge hate/hate relationship with Geoff Keighley and they were making fun of him last E3 so maybe there's some element of enemy-of-my-enemy there. He interviewed them and they kept talking about Nintendo games and he kept trying to steer the conversation away from that.

UncleSporky on
    So had anyone downloaded Child of Light yet? Gonna get it when I get home but I'm curious about impressions.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I'm also very relieved that the rainbow stars do nothing in NES Remix other than bragging rights. I'm pretty sure Mario Bros will be the death of me.

I've turned out to be pretty terrible at Dr. Mario.

Haven't lost my Kirby's Adventure touch yet, though.

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular

Does the constant cynicism work for you most of the time? Just curious.

Does the constant cynicism work for you most of the time? Just curious.

Absolutely. That way I can be pleasantly surprised when good things happen and not shocked when it goes to shit in a hand basket.

edited April 2014
    Honestly, the big press events and the Nintendo videos pretty much amount to the same thing, it's just that one's live and one's pre-recorded. Like them, they'll be covered by the press and watched live by the big fans. Beyond that, it's life as usual, other than the fact that Nintendo won't be included in the conversation over who "won" the press announcements (which, I suspect, is the point). Really the thing that truly matters to the press is access to the games and the people who make them, which will happen regardless.

Beyond that, there's the question of what kind of an effect last year's event-skipping strategy had on sales. And while there's loads of other factors that could affect things, I'd guess not much. The 3DS did well; the Wii U a lot less so.

cloudeagle on
  • MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    Announce a Belmont in the new Smash and everything else can go to hell, imo.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

Even if it's a Lord of Shadows Belmont?

Anyway, if Castlevania is going to be present, I'd bet on either Simon or Alucard.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

I know exactly which Belmont to use, too.

Simon-belmont-captain-n.jpg

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I know exactly which Belmont to use, too.

Simon-belmont-captain-n.jpg
    You joke, but so many people would wig out and out him, Mega Man in a green costume, and Pit in the same battle to take pictures.

Perhaps facing down the Mother Brain trophy.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    But what there's not room for debate is -- why the fuck aren't we talking about Reggie Fils-Amech?

Because its stupid, pandering, and cringe-worthy?

I think the news from the video is just fine but I couldn't watch the video itself for more than a few moments.

NNID: Rehab0
    Rehab wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Because its stupid, pandering, and cringe-worthy?

I think the news from the video is just fine but I couldn't watch the video itself for more than a few moments.

Or it's a sign the company isn't above poking fun at itself.

Bk3A9R9CIAED3yr.png?af4e70

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    That's good and fine but using memes or forcefully trying to make something into one isn't actually a good replacement for humor.

If anything its a sort of anti-humor wherein repetition of a dumb thing is somehow the catalyst for amusement for the internet collective who have set a very low bar for what they are willing to find humorous. I just post this idiotic image macro enough and it will catch on! When you get down to it, memes are not too unlike the "comedic" stylings of Tom Green or Tim Heidecker. Video game related humor doesn't have to rely on them or nostalgia to entertain. Penny Arcade itself is proof of that.

Ranting about how I hate memes aside, I'm sorta with the consensus here that doesn't care that much about Nintendo not having an E3 presence.

NNID: Rehab0
    Rehab wrote: »
    Video game related humor doesn't have to rely on them or nostalgia to entertain. Penny Arcade itself is proof of that.

You mean the comic that repeatedly uses memes about how Jesus is just a regular guy, a cat and a demon who are uncritiqueable, a merch monster, or an ongoing fight over a gold watch?