As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wii U Thread: THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• RegretRegret Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    Guys let's not pretend that Nintendo haven't done a press conference before. They know EXACTLY what sort of hype a press conference gets because they started the bloody things. They did them year after year after year. I think they know if it's worth doing or not. It's not like they've just FORGOTTEN what press conferences are and that they've done them before. They feel this online event is the best way to present the information and I agree with them.

Also they seem to be making more of an effort this year than anyone!
    They're using the theatre where they WOULD have had the press conference to host a NINTENDO SPONSORED professional smash tournament with the top 16 world smash players. They're opening their arms to the professional community - a big win for those types of gamers.
    What's more, they're live streaming it. They're really pushing their all in to that. That's their big conference, a gaming tournament for gamers rather than a "This is what tv stuff you can do on your xbox" for journalists.

Their e3 presence? Huge. Daily Livestreams done on their own website of all the new games? They cut out the middleman needing to do the live streams for them, and news joints are going to report on it ANYWAY.

They're promising big reveals, and big presence. They're not "Not showing up" and they're not "Lacking in publicising" because they've announced all of this, over a month in advance, when their competitors have just said "Ah we're probably gonna do what we always do."

Nintendo are trying something new and attempting to make a difference to the usual journalism numbers wank-fest echo chamber that this turns in to.
    But hey, what's the point if people can't cry DOOM like they usually do?

You are missing the point of E3. That is like saying why Sports have a live audience, because it is better that way. Having a conference live has its ups and downs, the ups are that really huge hitters have a better moment when a live audience reacts to it, like the reveal of Zelda TP or Sony's no DRM announcement.

Also having an E3 direct or hands on demos on select places are only talking towards Nintendo hardcore fans. How awesome would a live reaction for Megaman in Smash would have been? I mean it is free fucking PR and it doesn't cost anything to release the Direct on a side after the conference with only the trailer for the games.

It doesn't make sense for NIntendo NOT to do a conference. Either they are trying to isolate themselve from the rest or the industry or they REALLY think there are millions of Nintendo Core gamers that didn't bought a Wii U, which would be unwise because Wii U is only relevant for Nintendo hardcore fans.

• darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Last year they didn't do E3.

Then they had a bad year.

Therefore they should do the opposite this year and do E3.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Regret wrote: »
    Quical wrote: »
    Guys let's not pretend that Nintendo haven't done a press conference before. They know EXACTLY what sort of hype a press conference gets because they started the bloody things. They did them year after year after year. I think they know if it's worth doing or not. It's not like they've just FORGOTTEN what press conferences are and that they've done them before. They feel this online event is the best way to present the information and I agree with them.

Also they seem to be making more of an effort this year than anyone!
    They're using the theatre where they WOULD have had the press conference to host a NINTENDO SPONSORED professional smash tournament with the top 16 world smash players. They're opening their arms to the professional community - a big win for those types of gamers.
    What's more, they're live streaming it. They're really pushing their all in to that. That's their big conference, a gaming tournament for gamers rather than a "This is what tv stuff you can do on your xbox" for journalists.

Their e3 presence? Huge. Daily Livestreams done on their own website of all the new games? They cut out the middleman needing to do the live streams for them, and news joints are going to report on it ANYWAY.

They're promising big reveals, and big presence. They're not "Not showing up" and they're not "Lacking in publicising" because they've announced all of this, over a month in advance, when their competitors have just said "Ah we're probably gonna do what we always do."

Nintendo are trying something new and attempting to make a difference to the usual journalism numbers wank-fest echo chamber that this turns in to.
    But hey, what's the point if people can't cry DOOM like they usually do?

You are missing the point of E3. That is like saying why Sports have a live audience, because it is better that way. Having a conference live has its ups and downs, the ups are that really huge hitters have a better moment when a live audience reacts to it, like the reveal of Zelda TP or Sony's no DRM announcement.

I feel like if it cost the sport teams to host a live audience, and also only press showed up, they also wouldn't have them

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    darren66 wrote: »

It's not like they're not going to BE at E3. They're just not going to have a conference.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    H*R
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Question:

How is this ay different to the masses who either stream E3 conferences/watch them on TV, or read the reveal news from gaming sites after the fact, due to not being part of the press groups invited to E3?

How is the amount of hype generated by an unexpected trailer any different if the trailer is announced in a live event, compared to being announced in a pre-recorded video, played at the same time as a live event would occur? What difference is made to someone who's not watching it in person in either case?

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Enlong wrote: »
    Question:

How is this ay different to the masses who either stream E3 conferences/watch them on TV, or read the reveal news from gaming sites after the fact, due to not being part of the press groups invited to E3?

How is the amount of hype generated by an unexpected trailer any different if the trailer is announced in a live event, compared to being announced in a pre-recorded video, played at the same time as a live event would occur? What difference is made to someone who's not watching it in person in either case?

My cynical take on it is that it's 99.99% entirely an issue with gaming 'media'. For the end-user/viewer it makes absolutely no difference if the stream they're watching is live, or if it's just on the internet. The people attending those live conferences aren't just random gamers anyway, they're members of the press, gaming and otherwise, executives, and other invitees that aren't really just your people off the street. This is E3, not PAX, it's not actively for gamers as much as it is for media to pass that along.

Your joystiqs and kotakus and what have you don't like being cut out of the loop, and bitch incessantly about Nintendo not putting much effort into them and going straight to the gamers. If you don't think this is true, take a look at how Keighley treated Reggie and Nintendo at last years E3 (and pretty much any time he's put in front of Reggie) and there's really no arguing it. He (and other self-important game bloggers) treat Nintendo with absolutely no respect anyway, so why should Nintendo waste their money putting on a show at a big event that is solely for those people?

Obviously gamers get something out of E3, but as you, and many others, have pointed out, it's through live streams anyway, and Nintendo still has a huge presence on the show floor, just as big as anyone else. There is absolutely nothing that we, as gamers, would find out from Nintendo, would see from Nintendo, or would get from Nintendo, from a conference, that we can't get just as easily (if not better) from a 'Direct' (or whatever they're choosing to call it).

Yeah, we'll miss out on the meme-worth bits where Sony stomps on Microsoft, crazy Kinect shenanigans and almost unbearably cringeworthy embarrassment from people saying and doing dumb things on stage.

While last E3 was an aberration for just how thoroughly Sony made Microsoft their bitch, as far as content that we saw of games, what's coming, and information; I'd actually argue that Nintendos Directs were far more useful for me than the big hoopla of the other major conferences that were just filled with annoying shit and trailers of stuff leaked weeks before E3.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

MNC DoverQuical
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    darren66 wrote: »

And the same goes for everyone else!

If Microsoft does E3,

then has a bad year,

therefore they should do the opposite next year and just release a video!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Look, just give me some good announcements and make sure the stream actually works 90% of the time or more and I'll accept whatever crazy thing they do this year.

Jishian
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I didn't really expect a conference from Nintendo this year

Or any future years

I thought their approach last year was them saying "yeah we're done with this shit"

Megamaniaco
    So Child of Light is pretty great. Only been playing for an hour or so but I'm already in love.

Also picked up Amazing Spider-Man 2 today and played about 30 minutes. Seems good, some real improvements from the first though not enough time to tell for sure.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    That just says 'game chat'. Does that mean voice or are people jumping to conclusions?

edzepp on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    It's probably a selection of canned text messages.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edzepp wrote: »
    That just says 'game chat'. Does that mean voice or are people jumping to conclusions?

Apparently the other games that have voice chat have it listed as Game Chat in the eShop description.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Game chat must allow you to curse Blue Shells, or I walk.

dipuc4life
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    skeldare wrote: »
    So Child of Light is pretty great. Only been playing for an hour or so but I'm already in love.

I just went to download it on the eShop because it had said that it releases today and I find a thing that says it now releases on the 6th. /Australia

Edit: I'm confused. Today's not the 1st here yet. Gah. What's going on? I'll figure it out.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    http://youtu.be/kqjL1JQs9aU

They make an intetesting point that the Smash tourney might be replacing the traditional press conference and could happen earlier than the digital event. That makes sense since even with single elim/3 stock 16 people will take 2-3 hours at best and it may draw attention away from the treehouse streams .Im assuming theyll go one round at a time as well .

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

DAMMIT.
    Enlong wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Yea, it sucks mostly for journalists, because they thrive off being the ones to liveblog the events and perks that come along with attending them.

For us though, it shouldn't matter. We still get to watch a presentation and the websites will still put out the same articles about the announcements. Maybe the money they saved was worth not doing the whole live spectacle of an E3 conference.

It doesn't change it for us, but we aren't the people for whom Nintendo need to step up their advertising. We check all the news outlets and get game info wherever it comes from.

The less dedicated masses probably don't know a thing about livestreamong Nintendo's digital event, an probably couldn't tell you what a Nintendo Direct is. They will probably only hear about E3 stuff from that journalist coverage, or catching some of the event on TV.

And Nintendo kind of needs some of those masses to buy more systems.

I'm sure the same journalists who would be covering it live are receiving the same press releases the more dedicated gaming press got.
    Allforce wrote: »
    It's also just such a half-ass measure. I mean go ahead, release another Direct of Iwata mumbling in broken English about all your fantastic upcoming games, that's great. I get that's the direction you're going. But why even release it during the blitzkrieg of E3 at all? Come out a week before or even earlier with this stuff and let that be the build up to the show floor experience that journalists can then follow up with and report on. If you're going to "skip" the E3 press conference, then go all in and fucking skip it already and do something really memorable or different.

Instead we'll get a 40 minute YouTube video (that will likely crash and burn like it did last year) first thing in the morning, and then it's forgotten 6-8 hours later when the other competitors drop bombshells all over the mainstream media.

Press release or no, it tends to lead right into what's on the showfloor. If they revealed what they're showing at E3 a week early, that would give everyone (Sony, MS) else a heads-up to adjust their presence accordingly, if necessary.

I'm guessing that either way, they wouldn't want to tip their hand like that.
    Rehab wrote: »
    Video game related humor doesn't have to rely on them or nostalgia to entertain. Penny Arcade itself is proof of that.

You mean the comic that repeatedly uses memes about how Jesus is just a regular guy, a cat and a demon who are uncritiqueable, a merch monster, or an ongoing fight over a gold watch?

I thought it was a Pac-Man watch?
    Nintendo does this. They build up a face for the company. Humanize it. Microsoft and Sony have made attempts too

Remember Howard Lincoln?
    He had nintendo power comic for like a decade

Even Sakurai our gaming savior/troll is part of this.

Its not a meme its promotion. Reggie was hired for his charisma and presence in addition to his buisness accumen. And it worked. Hes practically a household name

Howard Phillips, not Howard Lincoln.
    Sakurai will attend in a power ranger helmet as Opponent X. He will use Mario and score all kos with Fludd

Better if he came dressed like this:

tumblr_inline_n4d7yh9qDq1rjw2mu.png

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    King RiptorPolaritie
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    King RiptorViskodWotanAnubisMNC DoverMegamaniaco
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Usually Nintendo is pretty good about shooting me an e-mail about upcoming Directs. Didn't hear anything about this.

Pleasantly surprised, though.

Sometimes they just release them out of nowhere. The Tomodachi Life Direct was like as well.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    This game looks gorgeous and this Nintendo Direct is crazy awesome.

Whaaat. Tournaments? Yes.

We better get that launch promotion in the US damnit.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    edited April 2014
    NoE is doing a pretty cool promotion:

HzoQS0d.png

Think I'm gonna go with either Pikmin 3 or New Super Mario Bros U.

Edit: Suck it, Braniac :P

Maz- on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Register Mario Kart 8 and get a free game!

Bmd-rypIgAALOFM.png:large

Games for NA :

- Pikmin 3
    - New Super Mario Bros. U
    - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
    - Wii Party U

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited April 2014
    Haha, those slow-mo sequences in the Direct when they're showing the customization features..Mario's moustache gently fluttering in the wind, Koopa's eyes as Rosalina speeds past him..:lol:

Maz- on
    Hahahaha that Clarkson sound alike is fantastic.

Nice, you can counter the blue shell with the Super Horn.

I appreciate the lengths they went to not just call her Platinum Peach including making a new color

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Damn stealth Directs are fun. Slightly disappointed that NA only gets 4 games to choose for the free game offer, I already have most of them.

Image gallery from GoNintendo:
    NfIGyRG.png
    9whq030.png
    ksLktlW.jpg
    YDyPhTX.jpg

Goddamn that space course. Metal Peach is sorta creepy.

Astronaut Toads floating in space are just entirely too cute.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Well I guess right about Baby Rosalina and the last space being your Mii. But Pink Gold Peach? Yeah, I never would have imagined.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So the spectator Toads need helmets, but not the racers?
    Sense of immersion destroyed, game ruined, pre-order cancelled.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Maz-
  • Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Great for SaucesRegistered User regular
    As someone who has been eyeing Pikmin for over a month, this Mario Kart deal is a gift from the heavens.

FFXIV:Iadrich Loffel
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
    3DS: 1005-8709-0277
    GreasyKidsStuffCustom Special
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The only game out of all of those that I'd want, is the only Wii U game I have.

Peach: Bite my glorious golden ass, peasants!

ViskodDarth_Mogs
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Deep Space Rainbow Road is looking pretty good.

• sockssocks Registered User regular
    This might just get me to finally pick up a Wii U after looking at them for months...

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/30/5667726/mario-kart-8-wii-u-bundle-north-america-release-date-price

That bundle is so good. Plus, I want to play Wind Waker badly.

Noggin
    Maz- wrote: »
    Astronaut Toads floating in space are just entirely too cute.

http://i.minus.com/ifHsnCaFvhHdD.gif

Maz-
    Free wind waker eh?

I was gonna wait until august but I might have to get that wiiu bundle.