As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android: Netrunner] Creating and Controlling since 2012

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Keyhole with Doppleganger is like really, really good, right? Keyhole and then immediately run Archives for free to pick up whatever you drop there?

yes. that is an excellent idea. you wouldn't have to do it after one keyhole run, either. you could install keyhole, use it three times, and then use your extra run to go to archives

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I really can't wait to start playing with a larger cardpool and with more people, I really need to get OCTGN set up.

Because it is really hard for me to evaluate cards and stuff right now.

Because like, I've only played core set. So I facecheck Jinteki ice early game, because, really, its not a big deal. I mean, worse comes to worse early on its a Neural Katana and I lose a few cards and I can draw back up. It won't kill it, it will make the corp spend money, it will give me knowledge. So, Fenris scares me, because its something the corp can get early that would hurt me for the rest of the game, being brain damage, unlike net damage.

But like, that is core set only. I am really, really excited to broaden my horizons.

don't be scared of brain damage

one's not a big deal

two starts to be a problem

the main reason I don't facecheck against jinteki is because their scariest ice is neural katana and I can take care of that with mimic, it rarely takes me more than a turn or two to get to the point where I can check ice with impunity

Shorty on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Keyhole with Doppleganger is like really, really good, right? Keyhole and then immediately run Archives for free to pick up whatever you drop there?

yes. that is an excellent idea. you wouldn't have to do it after one keyhole run, either. you could install keyhole, use it three times, and then use your extra run to go to archives

Ooof that is vicious. I want to make a deck that does this now.

And yeah, I guess one brain damage isn't really a huge deal.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    I think I'm a little disappointed in Keyhole, and not because it isn't great, but because it takes the meta down a road I'm not interested in. I think it's pretty boring already how much emphasis is placed on R&D, and Jackson Howard is too valuable and too frequently used as it is. I don't see keyhole helping either of those.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    that is a fair point

keyhole makes the game faster

but to be quite honest I think the two MU and three influence is going to keep it from seeing a whole ton of use in most criminal decks

shapers already get R&D interface for no influence

and anarchs really needed the help
    Ooof that is vicious. I want to make a deck that does this now.

And yeah, I guess one brain damage isn't really a huge deal.

I would much rather take one brain damage than three net damage

Shorty on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Spoiler card floating around.

Currently unknown if it is real or fake.

If it's real, what would you personally do with this?

1607039_10202951572694481_181403846_n.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Alright. It's a new year, a new season, a new thread, and a new regionals training regimen.

This breeze of renewal shall refresh my OCTGN guidepost.

Veterans, if you still play, let me know. If you don't because you no longer check this thread or can't be bothered, I'm assuming you flatlined.

Tagbait (new players), if you want to join us online let me know. I'll do my best to set you up with someone in your timezone who can teach you the interface. Failing that I'll chug Diesel and teach you myself at whatever goddamn moonman time you're about.

Recall, gents, regionals are rolling around soon. If you're wanting to do well, now is the time to start sparring.

Y'all have a couple days to contact me before the new guide goes up.

• Options
    eh, if it's real it's probably not going to see a lot of use

more hyper-specific Jinteki ice that doesn't do anything useful by itself

at least swordsman does a net damage

and pretty much any ice that can't be broken by AI programs I have to see as a response to Atman

but the problem is, top-level Atman decks are using parasites with clone chips 100% of the time

which makes any ice-based solution a one-time proposition, at best

archer+corporate troubleshooter will probably be the only real response to atman for the time being

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    @Nisi Yes the above includes you. Pull your finger out and rejoin us. Someone needs to teach the young'uns to hate Jinteki so much they can no longer deal with the colour red.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I'd be down for some OCTGN shenanigans sometime, probably.

I am moontime, though.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    That's an awfully complicated piece of ICE. You need them to not have a code gate breaker, presumably an AI instead. You want that ICE to be the first thing on a server, ideally, because number of programs used during this run would = 0 at that point. Except they can just jack out after it. If you've Whirlpool'd them in, then you need a piece of ice behind it. So that's 3 pieces of ice in a specific order for any effect other than ending the run, which you can only do until they get a code gate breaker out.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Really they need to print a trap that can't be broken by AI programs which has a single subroutine that trashes an AI program. Give it a high res cost to balance it. It's still way too hard to break down the runner's RIG.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I like that breaking rigs is tough and has to be purpose built. These corps aren't going to notice a single person until they start causing some major damage. Unless you are Weyland, which causes major damage for fun.

Swordsman may as well be a trap if you use it right.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Drawing 1 Ice on the mulligan vs criminal is pretty rough.
    Luckily he was running a HQ slamming deck with Woman in the Red Dress.

I scored an early astro off a SanSan. Then he picked my Beale and Datapool from hand.

Finally drew into another 3/2 which I scored pretty cheap, then another Datapool. Hooray for power shutdown -> jackson -> triple shipment from sansan.

• Options
    msuroomsuroo Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    and pretty much any ice that can't be broken by AI programs I have to see as a response to Atman

I don't see this one that way. It's kind of like a chum, but out of Yog range. I immediately like this better (if real).

msuroo on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    It's definitely a very... Jinteki piece of ICE.

I kind of like it. It's got a pretty cheap rez cost, and a decent strength. Screws with people still using Crypsis to break everything, and can completely shut them out of a server if they don't have a alternate way to break in.

If they just jack out after it's fired, they've just wasted a click running. Mission successful?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    You know, I think Jinteki is like one piece of "solid" ICE from being actual good. Like a 4 cost 1 strength Barrier with 2 subs:
    Do 1 Net damage.
    End the run.

• Options
    There are only two AP Barriers:

Heimdall (1.0/2.0) and Wall of Thorns.

• Options
    Right. I think we could use another one.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I actually expect a 2v2 format at some point. I think Netrunner is the only major LCG of FFG's that doesn't have one.

I'd really like to see a 2v2 with mixed teams. Runners backed by corps.
    It's just so Shadowrun.

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    @Tayrun - I'm still about and occasionally play on OCTGN...

If anyone else fancies some games feel free to drop me a PM or post up here. I'm in the UK so GMT.
    If anyone in the UK is reading this, we should play... (If you live anywhere nearby)

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'd love to see that as well. My weekly nights of beer and netrunning have increased from 2 players to 3, and my girlfriend's office has some players as well, so I might be able to snag one of them, or teach her if she's willing.

Given my love of "Two Headed Giant" and "EDH/Commander" (multiplayer variants of Magic), I find that idea highly appealing.

Speaking of our nightly shenanigans, I think something has finally clicked. I'm getting the hang of deck building, of using the faction's resources at hand and then splashing for something to shore up a weakness/enhance the focus of the deck. Before I found deckbuilding with the cardgamedb site daunting, now I've got like half a dozen built, but mostly untested.

Played a Weyland Glacier deck and a Criminal deck against my buddies, didn't really take notes per se but our local meta is already evolving.

My biggest obstacle at the moment is that I'm not terribly fond of traces as a corp. Even with a solid economy, I generally find my buddies (intentionally or not) end up with like 4-6 link (after their identity, hardware and other odds and ends), so unless it starts as, like, a Link 6, I'm often blowing hard earned cash just to make them pay out (which can be useful at times, but a Ms Jones and others generally have their stockpile rebuilt in a few turns anyway.

Thinking I'll go heavy on traces for my NBN deck and see how that works out.

I've designed the beginning of what I can only imagine is a stereotypical Jinteki briar patch (damage everywhere!), now working up an HB and that NBN bit of shenanigans.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Some dudes at the LGS found a way to play 2v2 on BGG. You roleplay it like the corporation hires a runner to take down the enemy corporation. You win at 11 VPs or if the enemy corp's R&D is gone. Both corps take turns simultaneously, both runners take turns simultaneously. Credit pool is shared.

The best thing about this is that even if both runners flatline, the game continues.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    I'd love to see that as well. My weekly nights of beer and netrunning have increased from 2 players to 3, and my girlfriend's office has some players as well, so I might be able to snag one of them, or teach her if she's willing.

Given my love of "Two Headed Giant" and "EDH/Commander" (multiplayer variants of Magic), I find that idea highly appealing.

Speaking of our nightly shenanigans, I think something has finally clicked. I'm getting the hang of deck building, of using the faction's resources at hand and then splashing for something to shore up a weakness/enhance the focus of the deck. Before I found deckbuilding with the cardgamedb site daunting, now I've got like half a dozen built, but mostly untested.

Played a Weyland Glacier deck and a Criminal deck against my buddies, didn't really take notes per se but our local meta is already evolving.

My biggest obstacle at the moment is that I'm not terribly fond of traces as a corp. Even with a solid economy, I generally find my buddies (intentionally or not) end up with like 4-6 link (after their identity, hardware and other odds and ends), so unless it starts as, like, a Link 6, I'm often blowing hard earned cash just to make them pay out (which can be useful at times, but a Ms Jones and others generally have their stockpile rebuilt in a few turns anyway.

Thinking I'll go heavy on traces for my NBN deck and see how that works out.

I've designed the beginning of what I can only imagine is a stereotypical Jinteki briar patch (damage everywhere!), now working up an HB and that NBN bit of shenanigans.

If you want to get into traces, Net Police doesn't seem like a bad splash(not even a splash if you go NBN).

• Options
    msuroo wrote: »

I don't see this one that way. It's kind of like a chum, but out of Yog range. I immediately like this better (if real).

chum is out of yog range

• Options
    Tayrun wrote: »
    Alright. It's a new year, a new season, a new thread, and a new regionals training regimen.

This breeze of renewal shall refresh my OCTGN guidepost.

Veterans, if you still play, let me know. If you don't because you no longer check this thread or can't be bothered, I'm assuming you flatlined.

Tagbait (new players), if you want to join us online let me know. I'll do my best to set you up with someone in your timezone who can teach you the interface. Failing that I'll chug Diesel and teach you myself at whatever goddamn moonman time you're about.

Recall, gents, regionals are rolling around soon. If you're wanting to do well, now is the time to start sparring.

Y'all have a couple days to contact me before the new guide goes up.

I'm around intermittently. Always down for teaching new players, though.

• Options
    I would love to learn OCTGN, I know how to play Netrunner but am clueless about the OCTGN software.

Unfortunately my timezone is very inconvenient, being Tokyo time, but if anyone could find the time to help me out I would be suuuuuper thankful!

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Hey, @Tayrun. I PM'd you my stuff, but I'm just letting you know that I didn't mysteriously disappear again.

• Options
    I would love to learn OCTGN, I know how to play Netrunner but am clueless about the OCTGN software.

Unfortunately my timezone is very inconvenient, being Tokyo time, but if anyone could find the time to help me out I would be suuuuuper thankful!

If you have any time in the next few hours I'd be happy to

• Options
    sartorisartori WA, USARegistered User regular
    Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to. Examples of how it worked well for you?

I'm also able to help learn OCTGN (sometimes I'm up pretty late).

• Options
    Farangu wrote: »

If you have any time in the next few hours I'd be happy to

I appreciate the offer but I am stuck at work for the next 7 hours! :(

• Options
    Man you weren't kidding about weird times.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    For ease of reference when I get off work it is midnight pacific time (until the next time change, at least).

Which means, for most folks, weekends will be my only bets to get games in, but, we can figure something out I am sure.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Man.

I assembled my crazy Double-dealer deck, and... yeah. Andromeda doesn't feel right, but I don't want to make another Gabe. Just.. so many events and resources meant that I was drawing so much shit I didn't want on the first hand. I want to go back to my original instinct, which is playing this as Reina or a shaper, but I don't know if I have the influence.

It doesn't help that I was in a foul mood tonight either.

• Options
    I have made a Professor deck.

I don't know how to feel about it. According to convention, it's shit, but the Professor isn't meant to be conventional...

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    I actually expect a 2v2 format at some point. I think Netrunner is the only major LCG of FFG's that doesn't have one.

I'd really like to see a 2v2 with mixed teams. Runners backed by corps.
    It's just so Shadowrun.

I've played a version of this

I didn't much care for it, to be honest

it requires a completely different deck and strategy

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    @Inquisitor I'm only an hour behind you, so we should play some OCTGN sometime.

I just have no idea how to use it either.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    What do you guys think of Public Sympathy in an Andromeda deck? It seems like it'd be great if you can get it first turn, but maybe not so useful afterwards? I haven't seen it in many decks.

• Options
    I think the problem with Public Sympathy is that it's too vulnerable for not enough payoff. I keep dabbling with it, as it would make that first turn Andy draw more potent, but in the end it really comes down to more hit points and something for tags to target. Maybe as Jinteki gets more toys you'll see it get played more.

• Options
    Probably be one of those cards that comes into its own as the game goes on, like a year down the line, like professor. As more and more cards enter the game, there will probably come a day when holding the flexibility of a seven card hand could be really useful.