As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Sorting Hat: A Quiz

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    (This suddenly went to all sorts of wrong places)

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I was in Raleigh House from age 7-11, and Bannister House from 12-16. They were basically just used for sports day, so my talents were largely useless.

The collegiate system of Oxbridge and some other universities is pretty much like having houses, too.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    (This suddenly went to all sorts of wrong places)

The best places

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I...

What?

How have you never heard of this.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I...

What?

How have you never heard of this.

I don't really have an encyclopedic knowledge of the British schoolsystem

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Neither do I, but like... I dunno, it's just so common in turn of the 20th-Century writing. I don't have any idea where specifically I learned about it, it's just a cultural underpinning to anything remotely associated with 1800-Present English Literature.

Like, I'm pretty sure there's references to it in Sherlock Holmes.

• Options
    Neither do I, but like... I dunno, it's just so common in turn of the 20th-Century writing. I don't have any idea where specifically I learned about it, it's just a cultural underpinning to anything remotely associated with 1800-Present English Literature.

I've never read Sherlock Holmes

I really don't know where I would have heard about it

None of my British friends have referenced it and no media I've seen/read talks about it except for Harry Potter which is in a magical wizard world

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Oh, dogg, you should read Sherlock Holmes.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

Go fix that.

• Options
    Fyndir wrote: »

Go fix that.

I read one Sherlock Holmes story and didn't really care for it

It felt like there weren't really clues there for the reader to figure out the mystery along with holmes, and it wasn't that much fun to read

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    House system wasn't in place in my school (two rival comprehensive schools were being merged together, you can imagine the fights that caused) but houses are also a good way of kids working together across the year for sports day and what not.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I can't really think of an analogous system for that in the American public education system.

That idea is pretty foreign to me.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Holmes isn't a mystery in the sense that the reader is supposed to be able to figure out the story before Holmes. They're more thrillers.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2014
    Our middle school divided the student body into black and gold teams. Mostly what it determined was when you ate lunch, and which teachers you got, though

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I can't really think of an analogous system for that in the American public education system.

That idea is pretty foreign to me.

Yeah Like our school system was all about school pride and togetherness and othering of other schools

We'd never other kids in our own school

Well except kids in other grades

Or kids of other races

Or kids of other cliques

• Options
    High School is fucking terrible

• Options
    When our two schools merged (I must have been 12) there was a perilous few weeks where the new tie for both schools hadn't been implemented and we were all in our old ties and it was very much Us vs Them and as spectator it was amusing but many people were beaten up, one kid got stabbed and a few classrooms were set on fire one weekend.

But then it was fine after that and yeah.

• Options

Go fix that.

It felt like there weren't really clues there for the reader to figure out the mystery along with holmes, and it wasn't that much fun to read

Yeah, I don't know if I would describe it as a "Are you as smart as the hero" type series. You are there to read about Sherlock Holmes and his superhuman ability to deduce shit.

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    When our two schools merged (I must have been 12) there was a perilous few weeks where the new tie for both schools hadn't been implemented and we were all in our old ties and it was very much Us vs Them and as spectator it was amusing but many people were beaten up, one kid got stabbed and a few classrooms were set on fire one weekend.

Jesus Christ.

• Options

Go fix that.

Yeah, I don't know if I would describe it as a "Are you as smart as the hero" type series. You are there to read about Sherlock Holmes and his superhuman ability to deduce shit.

Eh

If the shit wasn't there for him to deduce it it doesn't feel genuine

That's why even though on Detective shows as much as I hate the "sudden epiphany" it at least points out the clues in the episode

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

What!?!?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    just japes, jolly jolly japes

• Options
    edited February 2014
    It's always there, they set up the crime scene and describe what he's looking at. Doyle doesn't intentionally leave out information so he can go "NO ONE IS AS SMART AS SHERLOCK HOLMES".

But the stories just aren't written with that in mind. You're not invited to try and figure things out: there's no elaborate construction of context with actual London (even more inaccessible to someone who doesn't actually live in London), and frankly I think that's why the stories have staying power. The amount you would have to know to even attempt to figure out the mysteries that take place in Sherlock Holmes mysteries would be Herculean, putting the emphasis there instead of on the much more universal (and frankly easier) techniques of suspense and the relationship between Watson and Holmes and Lestrade is a much, much more effective choice than trying to write an "interesting mystery" for the reader to sink their teeth into.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Jolly japes!

No one was surprised, both schools had had a long history of meeting a lunch time to kick the crap out of each other so combining them was bound to result in a bit of violence.

• Options
    It's always there, they set up the crime scene and describe what he's looking at. Doyle doesn't intentionally leave out information so he can go "NO ONE IS AS SMART AS SHERLOCK HOLMES".

But the stories just aren't written with that in mind. You're not invited to try and figure things out: there's no elaborate construction of context with actual London (even more inaccessible to someone who doesn't actually live in London), and frankly I think that's why the stories have staying power. The amount you would have to know to even attempt to figure out the mysteries that take place in Sherlock Holmes mysteries would be Herculean, putting the emphasis there instead of on the much more universal (and frankly easier) techniques of suspense and the relationship between Watson and Holmes and Lestrade is a much, much more effective choice than trying to write an "interesting mystery" for the reader to sink their teeth into.

Gotcha

I just didn't find that angle very interesting and it didn't make me want to read more

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    in my primary school one of the houses was named after a Catholic minister

turns out said Catholic minister was directly named when the allegations of pedophilia in the church came out

there was a newsletter like two days later going 'THIS HOUSE IS NAMED SOMETHING ELSE AND THE COLOR IS DIFFERENT ASK NO QUESTIONS'

• Options
    Jolly japes!

No one was surprised, both schools had had a long history of meeting a lunch time to kick the crap out of each other so combining them was bound to result in a bit of violence.

Its times like these that I am forced to reflect on how sheltered a life I have led.

• Options

Gotcha

I just didn't find that angle very interesting and it didn't make me want to read more

Fair enough!

• Options
    Jolly japes!

Was one of these schools led by Bill the Butcher?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The public schools I went to had factions, to divide the school up across the year groups into four teams. Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow factions, in both of the primary schools and the high school.

It only mattered for sports day and the swim carnival. Two days out of the year you'd cover yourself head to toe in your faction colour and cheer like a maniac for anyone wearing the same colour no matter what year they were or what competition they were involved in.

• Options
    The public schools I went to had factions, to divide the school up across the year groups into four teams. Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow factions, in both of the primary schools and the high school.

It only mattered for sports day and the swim carnival. Two days out of the year you'd cover yourself head to toe in your faction colour and cheer like a maniac for anyone wearing the same colour no matter what year they were or what competition they were involved in.

Humans are weird.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

I think the Romans used the same colors for chariot race factions.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Jolly japes!

Was one of these schools led by Bill the Butcher?

Haha! Our headmaster was called Bill, actually.

I didn't enjoy school, I had a rubbish time making friends for a good chunk of it, but there were some excellent teachers. Don't want to make it sound too awful!

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Jolly japes!

A bit of the old ultra-violence?
    I've been trying to post that for half an hour, but my phone wouldn't finish it! :(

chromdom on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    My senior year of high school, some asshole thought he was hot shit when he crop dusted the halls every day for a week ...

With mace and pepper spray; little shit had a can of each hidden in his backpack and wired to a remote trigger in his jacket pocket. IIRC, he went to juvenile corrections for nearly two full years.

• Options
    My senior year of high school, some asshole thought he was hot shit when he crop dusted the halls every day for a week ...

With mace and pepper spray; little shit had a can of each hidden in his backpack and wired to a remote trigger in his jacket pocket. IIRC, he went to juvenile corrections for nearly two full years.

I just don't have any access to the thought processes that bring someone to this course of action.

I mean, I was picked on at school, and the furthest I ever went was "Man, I wish I was a superhero".

Clearly I had not learned any lessons from reading Spider-man.

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

I think the Romans used the same colors for chariot race factions.

White instead of yellow, actually

I always loved the simplicity of that. Just make four teams, give them a color and that's it, nothing more you need to make them into businesses and sporting heroes and political factions

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Nah, he was actually a terrible bully to anyone smaller than he was; since he had failed two years, that was a lot of kids.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    My school was really diverse my senior year. Like almost exactly 50/50 black and white kids

My senior year there was a bomb threat

A couple of the football players decided to blame it on the muslim students

We had a literal race for going for 3 weeks. The entire football team got jumped at some point

Which was great because they were all pieces of shit

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg