As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[RUST] - If you build it, they will come. And then they will murder you. (New PA Server!)

• JunleaJunlea Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I'll make some next time I'm online.

I think what I really like about this game are the random moments you run into. For example, last night I was going to down pick up Damoven near Big Civ, and ran into downer along the way. We heard some shooting so kept our distance, and then I saw a naked guy running away that I thought was Damoven. I run down to pick him up, and discover another random guy down there before I found Damoven. We were friendly, but there were a few seconds there when it could have turned very bad, especially when downer showed up and the two other guys didn't know who he was. We ended up leaving the other guy and heading back to the base, watching our backs the whole way.

Here's video of it for reference. (NSFW due to exposed caveman dong)

Not a huge thing, but just an interesting random interaction that keeps you on your toes. Thankfully we all left alive, but it could have been worse, especially if whoever was shooting in Big Civ had turned up before we took off. I'm glad we didn't kill the random guy though, as he seemed pretty new still and I would have hated for his first impression of us to be stone-cold killers.

I have to ask since it was pointed out, is this Exposed Caveman Dong in the original code, or is it modded in for Pieman's server?

Also of note, there is a small group named Flapjacks on the server. It's me and 2 IRL friends, please don't murder us too much, k :D

Originally, everyone started off completely nude by default. However, when the alpha when live on Steam, too many people were posting screenshots of digital wangs and so Facepunch patched in a censor filter that automatically puts pants on everyone starting off.

However, you can turn this off in the console if you want to play the game naked as the developers intended. Hit F1 and type:

censor.nudity false

In fact, this is info that probably should be added to the OP because no one should play with the nudity sensor turned on. It's just not right.

I never turned it off and players on Pie's server are all donged out. Server setting, maybe?

Junlea :: Writer, Gamer, Bagel Fan
  • iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    Nudity is turned off by default. Not approving of this affront against au nautrale, I installed a mod that turns nudity ON by default for the server. I also added a new kit at the same time which you can get by typing /kit pants. For the prudish among the newly spawned.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Junlea wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Is anyone in the PA settlement able to craft Explosives? Not C4 but the explosives resources. I really only need one so that I can learn it myself.

Explosives aren't craftable, they are a drop only on the server.

Wait, what? That is contrary to the entry in the rust wiki which says they drop from Airdrops but can be researched.

The server has a custom research ruleset. You cannot research any of the top tier weapons besides the P250, and that is only through Blueprints. You also cannot research the Explosive components in the C4 to help keep them rare.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I'll make some next time I'm online.

I think what I really like about this game are the random moments you run into. For example, last night I was going to down pick up Damoven near Big Civ, and ran into downer along the way. We heard some shooting so kept our distance, and then I saw a naked guy running away that I thought was Damoven. I run down to pick him up, and discover another random guy down there before I found Damoven. We were friendly, but there were a few seconds there when it could have turned very bad, especially when downer showed up and the two other guys didn't know who he was. We ended up leaving the other guy and heading back to the base, watching our backs the whole way.

Here's video of it for reference. (NSFW due to exposed caveman dong)

Not a huge thing, but just an interesting random interaction that keeps you on your toes. Thankfully we all left alive, but it could have been worse, especially if whoever was shooting in Big Civ had turned up before we took off. I'm glad we didn't kill the random guy though, as he seemed pretty new still and I would have hated for his first impression of us to be stone-cold killers.

Pretty sure that was a buddy of mine that is new to the game. He was telling me on vent that there were 3 people watching him and we were on our way to get him and ready to defend him but he let us know you were friendly. Funny, we could have had a good ol fashioned mexican standoff.

Hah, that's awesome. I'm really glad we didn't kill him then. See, this is why you don't just shoot first and ask questions later!
    Nudity is turned off by default. Not approving of this affront against au nautrale, I installed a mod that turns nudity ON by default for the server. I also added a new kit at the same time which you can get by typing /kit pants. For the prudish among the newly spawned.

Pshhh, pants. My favorite outfit is everything but pants.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    Is anyone in the PA settlement able to craft Explosives? Not C4 but the explosives resources. I really only need one so that I can learn it myself.

Wait, what? That is contrary to the entry in the rust wiki which says they drop from Airdrops but can be researched.

The server has a custom research ruleset. You cannot research any of the top tier weapons besides the P250, and that is only through Blueprints. You also cannot research the Explosive components in the C4 to help keep them rare.

That's kind of a silly restriction that seems to only help the rich get richer.

Kittenlord knows where our base is FYI, apparently he followed someone back the other day. He shot me through a window while I was afk. Nothing lost, but worth noting.

That's kind of a silly restriction that seems to only help the rich get richer.

I don't really think that's the intention though. Not speaking on behalf of pieman of anything, but my take on it is that this ruleset forces you to get out on the roads and hunt down the stuff you need. If everything was craftable, once you had researched everything you could just comfortably sit in your base, doing the occasional resource gathering and otherwise crafting and hoarding weapons. With this ruleset, the only way to get the materials needed is to go out and get your hands dirty, either with zombies or other players.

I personally like that it kind of naturally forces competition and confrontation, which makes the game more exciting. It also makes it more difficult to recover from a raid, which can be good or bad depending on who's doing the raiding.

Steam | Twitch
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Kittenlord knows where our base is FYI, apparently he followed someone back the other day. He shot me through a window while I was afk. Nothing lost, but worth noting.

Well! That was downright rude of him. I'll have to have a talk with him anytime I see him around.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    It also keeps people from blowing your shit up just because they have a stack of 250 C4 and nothing else to do with them.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I am totally ok with c4 being hard to come by. It gives me a good reason to run off to the supply drop when it is near me. I managed to be the first person to the last few drops I have seen. It's mostly been schwag, though. Managed to get a few c4 that I promptly used to blow up the door to the nearest base I could find.

It was a total waste too. Only managed to find some cheap crafting materials.

Are there items that are completely unavailable on our server? Things that drop only from specific areas, etc... Is there a list of what is and isn't craftable somewhere? Sorry if this has been answered before.

edited January 2014
    I'm curious how many explosives people have gotten or how many C4 they have crafted from looted explosives. It's tough to gauge the C4 creation rate but I have a feeling that overall C4 has gone down.

As a side note, at the same time I put explosives back in the loot tables, I reduced max drop rate of C4 in airdrops from 12 to 8. and reduced the minimum number from 4 to 2 in the hopes that airdrops would be less of a source for C4 and that the looted explosives would slightly make up for it. Overall I wanted to keep the average C4 rate lower than before.

@Big Dookie basically has it right. You can only get the best weapons by entering competitive space. Now if you already have them you may be more competitive and own those spaces (airdrops and big zombie/loot crate areas). To counteract that dynamic, I moved the mid tier items like the P250, BAR and kevlar back into the general loot tables (previously air drop only) and made them craftable.

Now to give a slight advantage to established players over complete noobs but at the same time to not further increase the gap between the dominant players and merely established ones, I made the newly craftable mid-tier items non-researchable, blueprint only.

This has the further effect of evening the odds in the event of a raid by a larger force as you can just craft these items up while still leaving some items loot only to make sure all players had a risk of losing something not easily replaceable.

Maybe I over-analyze this stuff.

iamthepieman on
    edited January 2014
    Are there items that are completely unavailable on our server? Things that drop only from specific areas, etc... Is there a list of what is and isn't craftable somewhere? Sorry if this has been answered before.

There are:

Loot tables:
    {
            "ZombieLootList":
            {
                    "min": 1, "max": 1,
                    "oneofeach": false, "nodupes": false,
                    "packages":
                    {
                        "0": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 50, "object": "CivilianZombie" },
    					"1": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 17, "object": "PoliceZombie" },
    					"2": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 18, "object": "ScientistZombie" },
    					"3": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "MilitaryZombie" },
    					"4": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 4, "object": "ArchitectZombie" }
                    }
            },
    	"CivilianZombie":
    	{
    		"min": 2, "max": 4,
                    "packages":
                    {
                        "0": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 20, "object": "FoodList" },
    					"1": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 35, "object": "ZombieJunkList" },
    					"2": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "MedicalSpawnList" },
                        "3": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 20, "object": "GenericBuildingList" },
                        "4": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "WeaponSpawnList" },
                        "5": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 15, "object": "LeatherList" },
                        "6": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "AmmoSpawnList" },
                        "7": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 15, "object": "Pick Axe" },
                        "8": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 4, "object": "MetalBuildingList" }
                    }	
    	},
    	"PoliceZombie":
    	{
    		"min": 2, "max": 3,
                    "packages":
                    {
    					"1": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 35, "object": "ZombieJunkList" },
    					"2": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 15, "object": "LeatherList" },
    					"3": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 2, "object": "WeaponModList" },
    					"4": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "9mm" },
    					"5": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "MedicalSpawnList" },
    					"6": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 2, "object": "P250" }
                    }	
    	},
    	"ScientistZombie":
    	{
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "1": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 15, "object": "RadSuitList" }, 
    						"2": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "ResearchKitList" },
    						"3": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 2, "object": "BPList" },
    						"4": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "Blood Draw Kit" },
    						"5": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "Blood" }
                    }	
    	},
    	"MilitaryZombie":
    	{
    		"min": 2, "max":3,
                    "oneofeach": false, "nodupes": true,
                    "packages":
                    {
    					"0": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 75, "object": "ZombieJunkList" },
    					"1": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 4, "object": "KevlarList" },
    					"2": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 6, "object": "MilitaryWeaponList" },
    					"3": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 20, "object": "Large Medkit" },
    					"4": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 3, "object": "WeaponModList" },
    					"5": { "min": 2, "max": 6, "weight": 10, "object": "Explosives" },
    					"6": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 1, "object": "Supply Signal" }			

}	
    	},
    	"ArchitectZombie":
    	{
    		"min": 3, "max": 5,
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 20, "object": "MetalBuildingList" },
    						"1": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 35, "object": "WoodBuildingList" },
    						"2": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 35, "object": "Workbench" },
    						"3": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 15, "object": "Stone Hatchet" }
                    }	
    	},
            "ZombieJunkList":
            {
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "1": { "min": 20, "max": 30, "weight": 20, "object": "Cloth" },
                            "2": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 20, "object": "Flare" },
                            "3": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 20, "object": "ToolList" },
                            "4": { "min": 20, "max": 60, "weight": 25, "object": "Sulfur" },
                            "5": { "min": 20, "max": 60, "weight": 20, "object": "Gunpowder" },
                            "6": { "min": 20, "max": 60, "weight": 20, "object": "Wood" },
                            "7": { "min": 20, "max": 60, "weight": 25, "object": "Metal Fragments" },
                            "8": { "min": 5, "max": 10, "weight": 10, "object": "Paper" },
                            "9": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "ResearchKitList" },
                            "10": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "MetalBuildingList" },
    						"11": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "Furnace" }
                    }
            },
    		"JunkSpawnList":
            {
                    "min": 1, "max": 2,
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 18, "object": "FoodList" },
                            "1": { "min": 20, "max": 30, "weight": 20, "object": "Cloth" },
                            "2": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 20, "object": "Flare" },
                            "3": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 20, "object": "ToolList" },
                            "4": { "min": 20, "max": 60, "weight": 20, "object": "Sulfur" },
                            "5": { "min": 20, "max": 60, "weight": 20, "object": "Gunpowder" },
                            "6": { "min": 20, "max": 60, "weight": 20, "object": "Wood" },
                            "7": { "min": 20, "max": 60, "weight": 25, "object": "Metal Fragments" },
                            "8": { "min": 5, "max": 10, "weight": 10, "object": "Paper" },
                            "9": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "ResearchKitList" },
                            "10": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "MetalBuildingList" },
    						"11": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "Furnace" },
    						"12": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 2, "object": "BPList" }
                    }
            },
            "SupplyDropSpawnListMaster":
            {
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "SupplyDropA" },
                            "1": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "SupplyDropB" },
                            "2": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "SupplyDropC" },
                            "3": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "SupplyDropD" }
                    }
            },
            "WeaponSpawnList":
            {
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 27, "object": "Hunting Bow" },
                            "1": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 20, "object": "HandCannon" },
                            "2": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 24, "object": "Pipe Shotgun" },
                            "3": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "Bolt Action Rifle" },
    						"4": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 14, "object": "Revolver" }
                    }
            },
            "AmmoSpawnList":
            {
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 10, "max": 40, "weight": 20, "object": "9mm Ammo" },
                            "1": { "min": 10, "max": 40, "weight": 20, "object": "Handmade Shell" },
                            "2": { "min": 10, "max": 40, "weight": 20, "object": "556 Ammo" },
                            "3": { "min": 10, "max": 40, "weight": 20, "object": "Shotgun Shells" },
                            "4": { "min": 5, "max": 5, "weight": 20, "object": "Arrow" }
                    }
            },
            "MedicalSpawnList":
            {
                    "min": 1, "max": 3,
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 20, "object": "Small Medkit" },
                            "1": { "min": 1, "max": 2, "weight": 10, "object": "Large Medkit" },
                            "2": { "min": 1, "max": 5, "weight": 15, "object": "Anti-Radiation Pills" },
                            "3": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "Blood Draw Kit" },
                            "4": { "min": 1, "max": 5, "weight": 10, "object": "Bandage" }
                    }
            },

"SupplyDropA":
            {
                    "min": 4, "max": 5,
                    "oneofeach": true, "nodupes": true,
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "MilitaryWeaponList" },
                            "1": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "WeaponModList" },
                            "2": { "min": 100, "max": 100, "weight": 10, "object": "556 Ammo" },
                            "3": { "min": 100, "max": 100, "weight": 10, "object": "9mm Ammo" },
                            "4": { "min": 50, "max": 50, "weight": 10, "object": "Shotgun Shells" },
                            "5": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 20, "object": "ResearchKitList" },
    						"6": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 2, "object": "BPList" }
                    }
            },
            "SupplyDropB":
            {
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 4, "max": 8, "weight": 10, "object": "Explosive Charge" },
                            "1": { "min": 5, "max": 15, "weight": 10, "object": "F1 Grenade" },
                            "2": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 20, "object": "ResearchKitList" },
    						"3": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 2, "object": "BPList" }
                    }
            },
            "SupplyDropC":
            {
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "KevlarList" },
                            "1": { "min": 3, "max": 3, "weight": 10, "object": "MedicalSpawnList" },
                            "2": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 20, "object": "ResearchKitList" },
                    }
            },
            "SupplyDropD":
            {
                    "min": 2, "max": 2,
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 2, "max": 2, "weight": 10, "object": "MetalBuildingList" },
                            "1": { "min": 20, "max": 50, "weight": 10, "object": "Low Quality Metal" },
                            "2": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 20, "object": "ResearchKitList" }

}
            },
            "MilitaryWeaponList":
            {
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 40, "object": "9mm Pistol" },
                            "1": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 30, "object": "P250" },
                            "2": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 15, "object": "MP5A4" },
                            "3": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "Shotgun" },
                            "4": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "M4" },
                            "5": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 15, "object": "Bolt Action Rifle" }
                    }
            },
            "WeaponModList":
            {
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "Flashlight Mod" },
                            "1": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "Holo sight" },
                            "2": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "Laser Sight" },
                            "3": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 10, "object": "Silencer" }
                    }
            },

"MetalBuildingList":
            {
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 8, "object": "Metal Foundation" },
                            "1": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 8, "object": "Metal Wall" },
                            "2": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 8, "object": "Metal Pillar" },
                            "3": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 8, "object": "Metal Doorway" },
                            "4": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 5, "object": "Metal Window" },
                            "5": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 8, "object": "Metal Ceiling" },
                            "6": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 5, "object": "Metal Stairs" },
                            "7": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 5, "object": "Metal Ramp" },
                            "8": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 5, "object": "Metal Door" },
    						"9": { "min": 2, "max": 5, "weight": 5, "object": "Metal Window Bars" }
                    }
            },
    		"WoodBuildingList":
            {
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 8, "object": "Wood Foundation" },
                            "1": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 8, "object": "Wood Wall" },
                            "2": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 8, "object": "Wood Pillar" },
                            "3": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 8, "object": "Wood Doorway" },
                            "4": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 5, "object": "Wood Window" },
                            "5": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 8, "object": "Wood Ceiling" },
                            "6": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 5, "object": "Wood Stairs" },
                            "7": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 5, "object": "Wood Ramp" },
                            "8": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 5, "object": "Wood Door" }
                    }
            },
            "GenericBuildingList":
            {
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 8, "object": "Large Wood Storage" },
    						"1": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 8, "object": "Wood Storage Box" },
                            "2": { "min": 1, "max": 3, "weight": 8, "object": "Small Stash" }
                    }
            },
            "FoodList":
            {
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 5, "weight": 5, "object": "Can of Tuna" },
                            "1": { "min": 1, "max": 5, "weight": 4, "object": "Chocolate Bar" },
                            "2": { "min": 1, "max": 5, "weight": 3, "object": "Small Water Bottle" },
                            "3": { "min": 1, "max": 5, "weight": 3, "object": "Anti-Radiation Pills" },
                            "4": { "min": 1, "max": 2, "weight": 1, "object": "Small Rations" },
                            "5": { "min": 1, "max": 5, "weight": 4, "object": "Granola Bar" },
                            "6": { "min": 1, "max": 5, "weight": 4, "object": "Can of Beans" }
                    }
            },
            "ToolList":
            {
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 5, "weight": 5, "object": "Pick Axe" },
                            "1": { "min": 1, "max": 5, "weight": 5, "object": "Hatchet" }
                    }
            },
            "ResearchKitList":
            {
                    "min": 2, "max": 2,
                    "oneofeach": true, "nodupes": false,
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "Research Kit 1" },
                            "1": { "min": 1, "max": 10, "weight": 5, "object": "Paper" }
                    }
            },
            "LeatherList":
            {
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "Leather Helmet" },
                            "1": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "Leather Vest" },
                            "2": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "Leather Pants" },
                            "3": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "Leather Boots" }
                    }
            },
            "RadSuitList":
            {
                    "min": 1, "max": 2,
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "Rad Suit Helmet" },
                            "1": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "Rad Suit Vest" },
                            "2": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "Rad Suit Pants" },
                            "3": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "Rad Suit Boots" }
                    }
            },
            "KevlarList":
            {
                    "packages":
                    {
                            "0": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "Kevlar Helmet" },
                            "1": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "Kevlar Vest" },
                            "2": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "Kevlar Pants" },
                            "3": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 5, "object": "Kevlar Boots" }
                    }
            },
     	"BPList":
            {
                   "packages":
                   {
                           "0": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 1, "object": "Explosive Charge Blueprint" },
                           "1": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 1, "object": "Flashlight Mod BP" },
                           "2": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 1, "object": "Kevlar Boots BP" },
                           "3": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 1, "object": "Kevlar Helmet BP" },
                           "4": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 1, "object": "Kevlar Vest BP" },
                           "5": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 1, "object": "Kevlar Pants BP" },
                           "6": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 1, "object": "Rad Suit Boots BP" },
                           "7": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 1, "object": "Rad Suit Helmet BP" },
                           "8": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 1, "object": "Rad Suit Vest BP" },
                           "9": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 1, "object": "Rad Suit Pants BP" },
                           "10": { "min": 1, "max": 1, "weight": 1, "object": "Silencer BP" }
                    }
            }
    }

Crafting restrictions:
    {
        "BlockedBlueprints": {
           "Explosives BP": true,
           "M4 Blueprint": true,
           "MP5A4 Blueprint": true,
           "F1 Grenade Blueprint": true,
           "Shotgun Blueprint": true,
    	   "Laser Sight BP": true,
    	   "Holo sight BP": true
       },
       "BlockedResearching": {
           "Explosive Charge": true,
           "Explosives": true,
           "M4": true,
           "MP5A4": true,
    	   "P250": true,
           "F1 Grenade": true,
           "Shotgun": true,
           "Kevlar Helmet": true,
           "Kevlar Pants": true,
           "Kevlar Vest": true,
           "Kevlar Boots": true,
           "Holo sight": true,
           "Laser Sight": true
       },
       "BlockedCrafting": {
           "Explosives": true,
           "M4": true,
           "MP5A4": true,
           "F1 Grenade": true,
           "Shotgun": true,
    	   "Laser Sight": true
       },

"blockcraftingmessage":"This item is too complicated to craft with your crude tools",
      "blockresearchmessage":"You can't figure out how this item works",
      "blockblueprintmessage":"You can't understand this blueprint"
    }

iamthepieman on
    I'm curious how many explosives people have gotten or how many C4 they have crafted from looted explosives. It's tough to gauge the C4 creation rate but I have a feeling that overall C4 has gone down.

As a side note, at the same time I put explosives back in the loot tables, I reduced max drop rate of C4 in airdrops from 12 to 8. and reduced the minimum number from 4 to 2 in the hopes that airdrops would be less of a source for C4 and that the looted explosives would slightly make up for it. Overall I wanted to keep the average C4 rate lower than before.

@Big Dookie basically has it right. You can only get the best weapons by entering competitive space. Now if you already have them you may be more competitive and own those spaces (airdrops and big zombie/loot crate areas). To counteract that dynamic, I moved the mid tier items like the P250, BAR and kevlar back into the general loot tables (previously air drop only) and made them craftable.

Now to give a slight advantage to established players over complete noobs but at the same time to not further increase the gap between the dominant players and merely established ones, I made the newly craftable mid-tier items non-researchable, blueprint only.

This has the further effect of evening the odds in the event of a raid by a larger force as you can just craft these items up while still leaving some items loot only to make sure all players had a risk of losing something not easily replaceable.

Maybe I over-analyze this stuff.

No, I think overall this has been a very good thing. You can already see the change in dynamic as people have had to gravitate towards metal bases, where previously wood was sufficient. Groups are roaming more heavily armed, but even the most well geared people are hesitant to go out solo right now, because they can no longer be assured of dominance.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I am totally ok with c4 being hard to come by. It gives me a good reason to run off to the supply drop when it is near me. I managed to be the first person to the last few drops I have seen. It's mostly been schwag, though. Managed to get a few c4 that I promptly used to blow up the door to the nearest base I could find.

May have to take another look at the airdrop tables if you've been getting junk. I want airdrops to always be worth going for. I'm thinking of adding some crates that have lots of metal in them to provide a reason for defensive, mostly passive players to go get them to beef up their bases.

Maybe everything you need to get a small metal base going

May have to take another look at the airdrop tables if you've been getting junk. I want airdrops to always be worth going for. I'm thinking of adding some crates that have lots of metal in them to provide a reason for defensive, mostly passive players to go get them to beef up their bases.

We got two airdrops last night. The first was being looted by a guy when we killed him, I'm not sure what was his, and what was the drop, but at best we got a few metal pillars, a 9mm and 2 P250s. He may have researched a crafting pattern before we killed him, but I don't think so. We then got a 3 crate drop. From it we received some metal parts and low quality metal, I got the Kevlar Chest recipe, and I *think* there was Kevlar boots pattern in the 3rd one as the only thing of note.

Actually @iamthepieman, looking at the loot lists, if you nuke the research kits from them and add in ammo or med packs on the other lists, I think that would help a ton. You have a 1 in 3 chance to get a research kit, which is, well, pretty useless with the massively increased drops from zombies and crates.

yeah @Mvrck, taking a second look at the airdrop list - they need some rework

Thanks for posting those, @iamthepieman.

Huh... apparently there are 5 different types of Zombies. I only thought there was red and black... how can I tell the difference beyond that?

Huh... apparently there are 5 different types of Zombies. I only thought there was red and black... how can I tell the difference beyond that?

The zombie loot lists are actually independent of the "type" of zombie if I understand correctly. There's no way to control the loot of say, the Black zombies versus the Red or normal ones. They all just draw from the same pool of lists.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

I would like to see the drop rate of M4s and MP5s increased a little. I have managed to grab half a dozen drops myself, but I have only seen Kevlar, c4, research materials, explosives and pistols. I really like the idea of having a starter base as an option. Maybe 9 foundations, 12 pillars, 9 walls, 9 roof tiles, a window, metal bars, a doorway, and a metal door.

Unless the airdrop is right on top of me, I will usually not bother. I have been killed more times than I care to admit trying to get there or away with the loot.

I would like to see the drop rate of M4s and MP5s increased a little. I have managed to grab half a dozen drops myself, but I have only seen Kevlar, c4, research materials, explosives and pistols. I really like the idea of having a starter base as an option. Maybe 9 foundations, 12 pillars, 9 walls, 9 roof tiles, a window, metal bars, a doorway, and a metal door.

Unless the airdrop is right on top of me, I will usually not bother. I have been killed more times than I care to admit trying to get there or away with the loot.

Yeah it gets hard to calculate the actual drop percentages when you have sub tables of sub tables and then need to add percentages or subtract them depending on whether "nodupe" is set or not and how many items (min and max) from the entire table can drop at any one time.

A friend of mine made a really handy spreadsheet but it was too hard to maintain because all the fields were statically coded so adding items broke it.

If I up the M4 drop rate I'll have to start a "Metal for Guns" program to keep violence off the street of Rust.

If I up the M4 drop rate I'll have to start a "Metal for Guns" program to keep violence off the street of Rust.

And then someone will murder you and take both your metal and your guns.

Steam | Twitch

The zombie types are just names I made up for the different drop tables. I've got a bunch more I want to add but I'm limited in differentiation by the very small amount of loot items in Rust.

Junkie: antiradiation pills, blood, bandages, cloth pants
    Highway Worker: spike barricades, flares, bottled water Leather Boots
    Stay-at-home mom/dad: 10 each of every food item

eventually though you've got like 50 items and most of them are thematically similar to each other.

• CousyCousy Registered User regular
    Hey everyone. Just wanted to say hi and thank Pieman for the great server. Looking forward to playing here with you guys!

btw, if you don't shoot first, I won't shoot you.

Cousy wrote: »
    Hey everyone. Just wanted to say hi and thank Pieman for the great server. Looking forward to playing here with you guys!

btw, if you don't shoot first, I won't shoot you.

Nice to have you Cousy. I'm glad you're enjoying yourself enough to sign up on the PA forums just to post about it.

• YallYall Registered User regular
    So last night on the server I play on, hilarity ensued.

We discovered that the cat burglar (who robbed everyone on the server blind even after being warned that it was against the server rules to build ramps up to peoples windows...) was the player we least suspected, and was my "neighbor".

The server admin and I pooled our C4, raided his fort, and sure enough, most of our missing shit was in there. Once we'd secured our own loot, we announced in the game chat that there was an epic loot free for all at this dudes house. It was awesome.

Kittenlord is around the base, he is not friendly.

Bigity wrote: »
    Kittenlord is around the base, he is not friendly.

Hmm, that's twice now I've heard of him skulking around the base. As far as I'm concerned, that's enough to classify him as KOS.

Steam | Twitch
    I fired at him a couple times, thing I winged him once but he ran off and I had to log :) Just be careful on exiting/entering the base.

Yall wrote: »

We discovered that the cat burglar (who robbed everyone on the server blind even after being warned that it was against the server rules to build ramps up to peoples windows...) was the player we least suspected, and was my "neighbor".

The server admin and I pooled our C4, raided his fort, and sure enough, most of our missing shit was in there. Once we'd secured our own loot, we announced in the game chat that there was an epic loot free for all at this dudes house. It was awesome.

On the one hand, I would disagree with the notion that building ramps up to people's windows should be against the rules, since it is a valid strategy for raiding and there are ways to defend against it.

On the other hand, it's quite satisfying to hear that you guys found out who it was and were able to pay him back in kind. Good show!

Steam | Twitch
  • cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
    I found a couple of guns, and came across him near the coast, so I dropped one of them for him.

steam_sig.png
    Is kittenlord new to the server? I don't think I've seen him on before.

Yall wrote: »

Revenge is sweet isn't it. I do think that's a silly rule unless you're on a PvE server.

Well he killed me while I was afk inside the base, so as far as I'm concerned, he dies on sight. As a PSA, don't go AFK near windows.

edited January 2014
    I don't know what to say to that. On the one hand you were in the safety of your own base on your own turf. On the other hand, you were standing next to window AFK :o

iamthepieman on
    I don't know what to say to that. On the one hand you were in the safety of your own base on your own turf. On the other hand, you were standing next to window AFK :o

Oh I don't blame him for shooting me per say. But it also means he's pretty well stated his intentions on shooting first and asking questions later. He gets no quarter.

• Unbent, Unbowed, UnbrokenUnbent, Unbowed, Unbroken Registered User regular
    Hello everybody. The previous thread and this new one have kept me entertained while at work these past few days, so thank you. My brother and I play on this server, and while I suspect he already has a PA account, I just created one to get in on the convo. We play on this server and are friendlies. We definitely keep to ourselves as I think total we've only run into maybe 2 other players (and nobody died! Amazing!). I think we'd be open to joining your commune. I just hope eventually the PA people take the fight to Baconator.

We are decently good at this game, between the two of can craft all metal structures except for stairs and foundations, BAR, etc... In game names: ThePenIsMightier (me) Euron (him). We won't KOS unless it's necessary. I'll be getting on shortly.

Steam ID: ThePenIsMightier
    I just had the most incredible idea:
    in-game Rust Phalla