As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prince of Persia: Rival Swords - Wii

2»

• Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    brynstar wrote: »
    TL;dr The Wii version of Rival Swords is a solid game, and remains fun to play in spite of the censoring. The controls work well, but they're not revolutionary. I like it so far after one play session.

Thanks for the review, tl;dr added to the OP.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You know, I really want to laugh at this, but considering I'm interested in the RE4 Wii port, it'd be kinda hypocritical of me to be angry at Ubisoft for doing the same thing.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BladeofTheImmortalBladeofTheImmortal __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    The thing that pisses me off most about this trend is that it's more of that damn "Hey, we can replace the X button with the 'shaking the Wiimote'! How cool and innovative is THAT?" instead of trying to actually <i>design</i> a game around the wiimote.
    I'm trying to steer the conversation more to the game itself than "does waggle suxk olol," but remember that almost all of the first- and second-gen DS games went through this same exact cycle. Projects spent years behind the scenes before they become public, so there are a lot of quick shift-overs at the beginning of every console's life -- ever -- but within time all systems start to hit their stride and get games suited to their strengths. The first nine months of the 360's life were fairly slim and port-heavy, too, and I wasn't even interested in the DS until Kirby and Meteos were announced.

Anyway, I still want to hear more impressions about Rival Swords, but I'm not too optimistic, as I mentioned. The game is still really great, though; I skipped Warrior Within based on the bad buzz it got, but Two Thrones was a great return to style, even though I still don't like the complexed-up battle engine.

To be honest I still don't see that great of innovation going on with the DS. the best selling game doesn't even use the damned touch screen(Mario Kart DS)...but that is neither here nor there...point I'm trying to make is, I just don't see the hype for the thing still...

To get back on topic, I played this game 2 years ago.

BladeofTheImmortal on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I played this recently for the PS2. Great, awesome game. My favorite of the 3 in the trilogy.

Still not worth buying again at $50.

Try again, Ubi.

edit:This would be fine, if Two Thrones were just now coming out. The only thing that reaallly irks me is the fact that it's such an old game and they're really not doing anything for it. Except pricing it at $50.

slash000 on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You know, I really want to laugh at this, but considering I'm interested in the RE4 Wii port, it'd be kinda hypocritical of me to be angry at Ubisoft for doing the same thing.
    Except RE4 is coming out at $30 with new stuff in it. Rival Swords is the EXACT SAME as Two Thrones only with waggle combat and camera(hopefully they fixed the quality of the FMV's. Just played the gamecube version and that's blurry as all get out) and costs 50 buckeroos!

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    TL;dr The Wii version of Rival Swords is a solid game, and remains fun to play in spite of the censoring. The controls work well, but they're not revolutionary. I like it so far after one play session.

Thanks for the review, tl;dr added to the OP.

You're welcome! As to the FMV's they seem sharp, and I'm playing in 480p. I'd guess that the increased disc space with having DVD helped with that.

I think this would have been much better priced at 30 or 40 bucks, given that the base game is now 20. However, I bought it with some left over store credit so it didn't take a bite out of me cash wise, and as such I'm able to enjoy it for what it is, and it's still a quality game. I'll post more after I've played it more.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I guess I'll be picking up Two Thrones on the cheap for Gamecube instead. I don't like games where waggling is simply replacing button presses. Just seems lazy. Plus censorship? Come on.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was waiting for this as well but it looks like it's the GC version for me too. It's too bad they blew it.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I've played for a little while longer. The censorship really isn't that bad. Some things are still quite bloody.
    Like the chain going through the Prince's arm

It was clearly done to get a lower rating, and yeah censorship sucks, but it's not any less of a game. Also, the segments of the platforming that use weapons do use the motion controls. So, when you have to jump to plates and stab your weapon into them, you have to really stab your weapon into them. It's great. The combat as the Dark Prince is also fun.

All that said, I can still see why one wouldn't want to pay full price for this. They should have just upped it to 60 bucks and ported the whole trilogy or something, especially given how much better the story is when you've played all three. This Wii game may be the first exposure some players have to the new PoP, and it'd be cool to see the other games show up even though they probably won't.

brynstar on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't like camera controls in the nunchuck. The way I hold it, the camera is always turning. See Marvel: UA. I liked the game, but could never be comfortable.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Woodroez wrote: »
    I like where this is going.

Anyway, I'm going to be picking up the PSP version of this in a few hour's time. Word-life.

I'll pick up the PSP version, but only used and when it's $15-20.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited April 2007
    I haven't played any PoPs since Sands of Time, but this one looks to be pretty awesome. Only thing is, this game came out last year. I'd be perfectly happy to pay $20-$30 for it, and if I can't get it at that price, I'll just pick up the Cube version.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Developers have been using buttons for years. I think they're allowed a couple of 'practice games' to get them up to speed with working with the motion controls. It's only slightly a case of Ubi and such scraping in as much cash as possible with their grubby little paws.

We shouldn't expect them all to produce games with 'innovative' uses of such a new system yet. They haven't had time to make the necessary mistakes to learn from.

That said, I will not be funding these experiments... or at least not this one.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think the possible good that will come of this - if this game sells well, it's not a big stretch of the imagination, that they will eventually make a waggle-centric sequal on the Wii.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ...Actually, am I the only one thinking Nintendo should start a 'Wii have buttons too!' campaign or something. As fine as I am with the remake scene, the way in which the wiimakes are just control modifications is a bit annoying. It's as if its not a 'real' system or something.
    or something

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    IGN just reviewed it.

Says the game is still fun and some of the Wii controls add to the experience, but moving the camera is a pain.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/778/778269p1.html

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    oh man, i thought I was in the super paper mario thread when i read the above post. that almost freaked me out. whew.

anywho, 7.1 isn't a bad score from ign for a port.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I don't like camera controls in the nunchuck. The way I hold it, the camera is always turning. See Marvel: UA. I liked the game, but could never be comfortable.

Rival Swords uses the remote for camera control, or the D-pad. Using the remote is a little strange, you rotate it like you're turning a key to turn the camera left or right. If you want to move it up or down you have to use the d-pad. I can't imagine the nunchuck being much better, although I haven't played Marvel:UA on the Wii.

brynstar on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've played for a little while longer. The censorship really isn't that bad. Some things are still quite bloody.

Like I said before, they can't exactly go back and re-render the FMVs.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Like I said before, they can't exactly go back and re-render the FMVs.

Yeah the censoring is really minor. The biggest issue for most I think is the price.

brynstar on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wait, what censorship are you folks talking about?

I remember Two Thrones got an M for having some nude statues or something. They got rid of them, but the ESRB still wouldn't change the rating.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Wait, what censorship are you folks talking about?

I remember Two Thrones got an M for having some nude statues or something. They got rid of them, but the ESRB still wouldn't change the rating.

All of the blood in the game was removed and replaced with sand. It's pretty minor, but it makes the speed kills at the beginning and some of the boss fighting a little less satisfying. The sound seems unchanged, which is funny because you'll hear some spattering and then see some grains of sand list towards the ground.

EDIT: Also, enemies don't really dismember. So when you do one of the kills that cuts them apart or whatnot, they just sort of disintegrate instead. It still goes into slow motion, and it can also look a little wonky. But again, it doesn't really change the core game.

brynstar on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I had the pre-ordered thinking Ubisoft would come threw for me. After reading the reviews I went in and bought GC copy instead. :/

Accualt on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    I wish the 360 BC team would get around to WW and TTT. I want to do a complete run, but want to do it all on the 360, so the saves are all in the same place.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't even understand the censorship move in the first place. There was no shortage of blood, cursing, and violence in FarCry Vengeance. And it's not like Ubi is dealing with "1993 Nintendo."

slash000 on
  • Options
    BoredomBoredom Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I guess I'll be picking up Two Thrones on the cheap for Gamecube instead. I don't like games where waggling is simply replacing button presses. Just seems lazy. Plus censorship? Come on.

Play the GC version on your Wii, just to spite them.

Boredom on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was thinking about the PSP version when it gets cheap, but it's had the blood taken out too, and apparently it looks awful in motion (it's not that great in stills either frankly).

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    I don't even understand the censorship move in the first place. There was no shortage of blood, cursing, and violence in FarCry Vengeance. And it's not like Ubi is dealing with "1993 Nintendo."

It has to be money motivated. Some person, in some meeting at Ubisoft, managed to convince the rest of them that the game would sell more copies with the lower T rating. FarCry was targeted at a different group of gamers...those that like to play games which look really old and have no AI. :)

Sadly I uh...I kinda enjoyed Vengeance, so I'm one to talk....

brynstar on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    slash000 wrote: »

It has to be money motivated. Some person, in some meeting at Ubisoft, managed to convince the rest of them that the game would sell more copies with the lower T rating. FarCry was targeted at a different group of gamers...those that like to play games which look really old and have no AI. :)

Sadly I uh...I kinda enjoyed Vengeance, so I'm one to talk....

I enjoyed it too. It was like a shooting gallery, but I had fun for a few hours. It was just a rental.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018