As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 5E] Barrowtown - A 5E PbP (Game's done! Post-game discussion is open!)

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    @Denada do you mind if we reskin races? I.e., for fluff, I'd like to be a Half-Drow for one of my submissions, but I'd like to use the High Elf stat block. If not, I can modify my background a bit to actually be a High Elf, but wanted to ask.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    If anyone else here is like me and loves using fillable PDFs for their character sheets, I found a really nice one here:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1y1G8aH8qY2S21YbWlodnhjMWs/edit

I far prefer it to the one Wizards included in the playtest materials.

For some reason, when I try to save this, it says it can only save a blank copy. Is that how it's supposed to work?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited January 2014
    Below are two submissions. Both Rogues, but with slightly different twists. I've listed them in my order of preference, but am happy to play either of them depending on what might help to round out the eventual group. I haven't totally completed them (haven't had as much time today as I wanted, but have already started putting together the list of skills proficiencies, ability scores, etc., just haven't finalized it), but all of them will be done via Ability Point Buying. All will have the same name, but other statistics will change. I've included a brief bio for each along with an idea of the direction I plan to take that character in. Pending if one is selected I plan to elaborate more on the bio and such. I wanted to submit these those in case you end up deciding earlier tomorrow.

Character Name: Jeyza Re

"The Treasure Hunter"
    Race: Half-Drow* (High Elf)
    Class: Rogue
    Background: Guide
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Trait: Wanderer

BIO
    Drow culture has no room for impurity and weakness. So when Jeyza's mother brought her to the Underdark, offspring with human blood, there was never any place for her in their society. Lucky enough to not be murdered immediately, she led a tormented and troubled childhood. Unlike those around her, she lacked the ruthless planning and backstabbing of those around her. She found herself drawn to the non-Underdark denizens, the traders and travelers whom would take shelter in her town while in the Underdark. Their stories of the surface intrigued her and it was these events that led her to leave her family and venture off on her own.

Her curiosity, creativity and knack for exploration led her through several years of treasure hunting. Be it spelunking in caves, investigating rumors of lost relics or dodging traps in old ruins, she never felt more alive. Looking to apply her talents to bigger adventures, she sought out the aid of others, those who whose skills helped to supplement her own.

DIRECTION
    My plan with the Treasure Hunter is to take her along the line of someone who would be capable of things like finding/disarming traps, secret rooms, doors, etc., as well as being able to get places others can't to help progress (athletics and acrobatics) and be able to provide additional assistance to the group via skills like Nature and Survival. Kind of the guy (or girl in this case) in the back with all the tools you call upon when you need something done. Most likely I'd go down the 'Thievery' path for Rogue.

* Actual Drow get three languages (Common, Elven and Undercommon) and so do High Elves, so the bonus language would be Undercommon to represent her upbringing in the Underdark. If the refluffing of High Elf to Half Drow isn't acceptable, I'll update the bio, but the general jist will be similar (she didn't have the knack for magic and found the aloofness of the High Elves too much).

Stat Block:
    STR: 12 (+1)
    CON: 12 (+1)
    DEX: 17 (+3)
    INT: 14 (+2)
    WIS: 13 (+1)
    CHA: 8 (-1)

HP: 7
    Special Senses: Low-Light Vision
    Speed: 30 feet
    Saves: Dexterity (Proficiency), vs. Being Charmed (Advantage) and Magic cannot put me to sleep

Skill Proficiency: Athletics, Nature, Survival, Acrobatics, Perception (Advantage), Search, Stealth
    Tool Proficiency: Theives' Tools, Climber's Kit, Mounts (Land), Navigator's Tools
    Languages: Common, Elvish, Undercommon, Dwarvish, Goblin
    Spells: TBD

Will add more later.

"The Fixer"
    Race: Human
    Class: Rogue
    Background: Charlatan
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Trait: False Identity

BIO
    The streets are rarely kind to orphans. It takes a certain kind of person to thrive when the rest of society has already written you off. But, as it turns out, Jeyza is that kind of person. Growing up in a rundown orphanage on the seedy side of town, she never met her parents, but still found a "family" of her own. With a little black book of her own, things didn't happen around town without her knowing. Intelligent and charismatic, Jeyza could find you the right person for any job, or already knew if the job had been completed.

But not everything can last forever. A few big deals gone wrong and she found herself on the wrong side of the law. She knew she needed a new family, people she could trust and provide her specific skills to. And this lead her to decide it was time to leave her home town, off to bigger and better things.

DIRECTION
    This character would still be capable of handing traps and the such, but might be less capable of the exploration aspects. Instead, she will have a greater focus on Face skills like Insight, Deception, and Persuasion. With a good Charisma, she'd be someone who can find out information. This character could be either down the Thievery path or the Assassin path.

Stat Block:
    STR: 9 (-1)
    CON: 12 (+1)
    DEX: 17 (+3)
    INT: 10 (+0)
    WIS: 14 (+2)
    CHA: 16 (+3)

HP: 7
    Special Senses: None
    Saves: Dexterity (Proficiency)

Skill Proficiency: Deception, Insight, Sleight of Hand, Acrobatics, Perception, Persuasion, Stealth
    Tool Proficiency: Theives' Tools, Disguise Kit, Gaming Set
    Languages: Common, Two more TBD

Will add more later.

Other: I could also work on someone more focused on Combat (high con/dex and maximize feats), but that seems a bit bland.

Edit: Made some updates. Will continue to update them as time permits.

am0n on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Okay, catching up again. Sorry I haven't been responding earlier. Had a very busy day at work and evening at home.

1. Download links have once again been sent to those that requested them. If you requested a link and didn't get a PM from me, let me know.
    2. Spell DC: I'm going to rule that it's 8 + mod, because the Class document is more recent than the How To Play document.
    3. Reflavoring races is fine with me. If you want to be half-drow (high elf) or a particularly tall and lithe dwarf (wood elf) or whatever I don't care. 5E is all about, like, telling your stories, man.
    4. Keep those characters coming! Tomorrow is looking to be pretty busy too, so I probably won't be picking the party until later in the day or that night.

• wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    Finnian Goswick, Half-Elf Minstrel Bard

As long as Finnian could remember, taverns and inns have been his home. He was separated from his family at a fairly early age, but quickly learned the ways of the wandering minstrel, and found that it suited him. His wanderings take him to Barrowtown, Barrowburg... all over the greater Barrow district, really.

...but still he dreams of more. Everyone loves the great stories, and they are a key part of his repertoire. He occasionally sees adventurers in the taverns, in the midst of their own great stories. He wonders what it would take, to start his own.
    Race: Half-Elf
    Class: Bard 1
    Background: Minstrel
    Age: 70 (no age ranges were given for half-elves, aiming for just after coming of age)
    Height: 5' 8"
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Languages: Common, Elvish, two others

Ability Scores (using ladder, with Half-Elf plusses for Con and Cha)
    Str: 12
    Dex: 10
    Con: 15
    Int: 13
    Wis: 8
    Cha: 17

HP: 8
    HD: 1d6+2
    AC: 11 (leather armor)
    Initiative: 0
    Melee Attack Modifier: +2
    Ranged Attack Modifier: +1
    Saving Throw DC: 11 (12 if singing/chanting or holding a musical instrument)
    Medium Size

Low light vision
    Advantage on wisdom (perception) rolls
    Advantage on saving throws against being charmed
    Immune to magical sleep

Minstrel Trait: Noted Performer - can always find a place to perform

Proficiencies:
    Armor: Light armor
    Weapons: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, light crossbows, longsword, rapier, short sword
    Tools: Disguise kit, singing, lute, drums, flute
    Skills: History, Performance, Persuasion, Deception, Medicine, Survival

Equipment:
    Leather armor
    Longsword (+2 to hit, 1d8+1 or 1d10+1 slashing damage)
    Short Bow (+1 to hit, 1d6 piercing damage)
    Arrows (are we tracking ammo?)
    Lute
    Adventurer's kit
    Ink and paper
    85 gp

Climber's Kit: Rules state that when you are proficient with the Kit and use it to make a Strength (Climb) check, you can apply your proficiency bonus. Strength (Athletics) says you use that skill when dealing with difficult encounters while climbing. Does that mean you don't actually use Athletics to climb?

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Most "checks" are ability checks. If you have a skill that references a particular ability check, you can use it instead. So, normally you just use a Strength check to Climb, but if you have Athletics as a skill you can use your proficiency bonus to add to the ability check. If instead you are proficient with the Climbing Kit tool, you can use your proficiency bonus for that as a bonus. I need to check, but I don't believe that multiple proficiency bonuses stack on a given check.

Nealneal on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I haven't read about it, but it really sounds like it should stack. Then what's the point of using a kit? Does that mean only non climbers can benefit from a kit? Or does it mean that climbers are too good for a kit?

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize this wasn't the 5e discussion thread. I shouldn't clutter up the recruitment thread.

Steelhawk on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Lenore Lightfoot, Halfling Guide Monk

Lenore is an upbeat and happy little halfling who enjoys the outdoors, long moonlit strolls on the beach, and most of all seeing new places and new things.

Background: Lenore spent her youth in Human lands, an orphan to parents who either died or decided to give her up- she never knew which. Whether beause of a lack of halfling influence or just to avoid some of the nastier people living about the human settlement, she acquired at a very young age a bad case of waderlust. Unattached to family or traditional halfling values, she wandered from place to place for most of her youth. She met new people, saw new places, and occasionally rescued lost travelers she encountered (which turned into quite a lucrative business, even at a young age).

Eventually in her travels she discovered a monastery in the middle of nowhere filled with monks of all races. They were kind and gentle, but possessed abilities that seemed unbelievable- some said they were over 500 years old, others could speak to her in a strange tongue that she could somehow understand, and judging by their sparring they were all extremely quick and dangerous with their fists.

Lenore stayed with them a while (a rarity for her), and eventually joined them. Though as soon as her training was completed and she was allowed back into the world, her wanderlust propelled her back out to seek adventure and a chance to hone her new-found skills.

Now she had come across a party of adventurers with whom she could continue to travel the world and experience new and wonderful things that were too perilous to attempt alone. Whatever happened, she was sure that it wouldn't be boring!

Stats/Abilities:
    (Note- stat roll on page 1)
    Str: 14 (+2)
    Dex: 16 (+3)
    Con: 12 (+1)
    Int: 10 (0)
    Wis: 16 (+3)
    Cha: 12 (+1)

Alignment: Lawful Netural
    Attacks: Unarmed (1d20+4, 1d6+2)
    AC: 16
    HP: 9 HD:1d8

Traits:
    Size: Small
    Speed: 25 feet
    Lucky: When you roll a natural 1 on an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can reroll the die and you must use the new roll.
    Brave: You have advantage on saving throws against fear
    Halfling Nimbleness: You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than yours
    Naturally Stealthy: You can hide even if you are obscured only be a creature one size larger than you.
    Attribute Score Adjustment: +! dex, +1 cha
    (Background) Wanderer (Excellent memory for terrain, setttlements etc; can find food and water for 5 people/day)

Languages: Common, Halfling
    Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Nature, Survival

Background: Guide
    Background trait: Wanderer
    Background Skills:Athletics,Nature, Survival
    Background Tools:Climber’s kit, mounts(land), navigator’s tools
    Background Equipment (included below): Backpack, bedroll, hempen rope (50 ft), Navigator's tools, tent, tinderbox, traveller's clothes, waterskin, winter blanket, 40 gp, 8 sp

Class: Monk

Features: Flurry of Blows, Ki (2 pts), Unarmed Strike, Unarmored Defense

Proficiencies:

Armor: None

Weapons: Club, dagger, handaxe, light crossbow, longspear, quarterstaff, short sword, sling, spear, and unarmed strike

Tools: None

Saving Throws: Dexterity, Wisdom

Equipment: Backpack, bedroll, hempen rope (50 ft), Navigator's tools, tent, tinderbox, traveller's clothes, waterskin, winter blanket, Sling, 10
    stones, Quarterstaff, adventurer’s kit,130 gp, 8 sps
    Tools carried: Climbers kit, navigtor's tools, mounts(land)

In case you're wondering where Lenore got her last name, given her lack of parental involvement:
    She made up something that sounded halfling-y because having to continually explain to people "I don't have a last name because I never new my parents WAHH" was getting old fast

El Skid on
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, I guess what I was curious about is why the Climbing kit would call out Strength (Climb). From reading it, it sounded more like you'd use Athletics not to climb, but to deal with events when climbing (like someone trying to pull you down). It may be that a Climbing Kit can be made available to you without the Athletics skill also being made available, in which case then it'd just help you in a subset of actions.

It was more of me requesting clarification from @Denada in order to final my character (since Rogues get Expertise).

am0n on
    edited January 2014
    am0n wrote: »
    Climber's Kit: Rules state that when you are proficient with the Kit and use it to make a Strength (Climb) check, you can apply your proficiency bonus. Strength (Athletics) says you use that skill when dealing with difficult encounters while climbing. Does that mean you don't actually use Athletics to climb?

It took some digging, but I've found what I believe to be the answer.

Skill proficiency and tool proficiency do not stack. Tool proficiencies are supposed to give you a chance to use your proficiency bonus in a narrow application when you don't have proficiency in the broader skill.

In the case of climbing, normal climbs don't require a check. They just cost extra movement. Difficult climbs require Strength (Athletics). If you don't have proficiency in Strength (Athletics) but you do have proficiency with the Climber's Kit tool, you can use that instead to still get your proficiency bonus for a difficult climb.

What's unfortunate is that the only thing in the packet that gives you proficiency with a Climber's Kit is the Guide background, but that gives you proficiency in Strength (Athletics) anyway.

This means that most tools are a complete waste of money unless they have a specific use other than granting a proficiency bonus. So if you're thinking about buying a tool that you're proficient with, make sure you read the whole entry to see if it's actually worth it.

Denada on
    That seems...ill conceived. As someone who just made a guide character, I just assumed that the proficiency and tool bonuses would stack for the narrow set of circumstances that you can use the kit in.

Thanks for the info, Denada!

edited January 2014
    Yeah, I have no idea if that's what R&D intended, and I really hope it isn't, because if it is that's just ... bad. But them's the rules and I'm not making any houserules except where absolutely necessary.

Denada on
    edited January 2014
    Denada wrote: »

Skill proficiency and tool proficiency do not stack. Tool proficiencies are supposed to give you a chance to use your proficiency bonus in a narrow application when you don't have proficiency in the broader skill.

In the case of climbing, normal climbs don't require a check. They just cost extra movement. Difficult climbs require Strength (Athletics). If you don't have proficiency in Strength (Athletics) but you do have proficiency with the Climber's Kit tool, you can use that instead to still get your proficiency bonus for a difficult climb.

What's unfortunate is that the only thing in the packet that gives you proficiency with a Climber's Kit is the Guide background, but that gives you proficiency in Strength (Ahtletics) anyway.

This means that most tools are a complete waste of money unless they have a specific use other than granting a proficiency bonus. So if you're thinking about buying a tool that you're proficient with, make sure you read the whole entry to see if it's actually worth it.

Yeah, that was my other interpretation. Which is why I figured I'd check... save me money on the climbing kit and sounds like if I was going to use expertise on Athletics/Climbing Kit, it'd make more sense to do it on Athletics for the wider application of the stat (since Athletics already covers dealing with *stuff* while climbing).

Another one is the Naigator's Tools... allow you to use proficiency bonus on Wisdom (Survival) checks to prevent the group from being lost... except Guide also gives you Survival, which means you already have your proficiency bonus on preventing the group from getting lost. So, either they should stack, to make having the skill and tool useful, or it was a pretty big oversight from the designers and should have been intended more, like you said, to help people with a niche aspect of a wider skill (climber's kit to help climb, even if you aren't athletically inclined, navigator's tools to help you find your way, even if you aren't great at survival, etc.).

Fortunately, it does appear that Thieves' tools are useful, as you need proficiency with them to be able to try and pick a lock or disable a trap.

am0n on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Denada wrote: »

What's unfortunate is that the only thing in the packet that gives you proficiency with a Climber's Kit is the Guide background, but that gives you proficiency in Strength (Athletics) anyway.

So what you're saying is that my rogue shouldn't waste her expertise on her thieves' tools.

EDIT: Oh wait, they're the only way to pick a lock or disable a trap. Never mind.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    Choosing the party now. Stay tuned. Don't freak out if your submitted character needs tweaks. I'm not a stickler about such things.

edited January 2014
    Alright. The party has been chosen!

@Stilts as Sophia Baker the Human/Bard/Noble
    @Melding as Theresa Oriana the Human/Cleric/Noble
    @Nealneal as Halath Khaelan the High Elf/Fighter/Guild Thief
    @Tox as Geoffrey Allenahl the Human/Rogue/Artisan

To the rest of you, thank you so much for making characters and being interested in the game. I wish I could pick everyone but that would just be insane and not fun.

To the party, start talking about how you know each other and where you were going together before having to stop in Barrowtown. Feel free to make up the names of kingdoms, places, people, organizations, etc.

The game will probably start on Friday, but if not Friday then Monday.

Denada on
    Good luck every one!

Ah well. Have fun everybody who made it!

yay! Haven't played Geoffrey since 3.x so I'm looking forward to seeing him again.

Very strong likelihood that I'll be MCing into Fighter, btw.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Damn.
    Have fun those who got picked!

Barrowtown
    A D&D 5E Playtest Adventure

barrowtown1.jpg

"I remember the first time I came to Barrowtown. Just passing through, you know, stopping for supplies and such. Funny thing really. I was only supposed to be here a day or so, but one thing led to another and, well, I guess I never left. Heh. Still got my wagon tied up next to the house, you know. Good one, too. Don't make 'em like that anymore." - Darrin Harbrook, tanner

- - - - -

Port Charles seems like a lifetime ago. A place that far south always has such wonderful weather; even the rain is warm. In fact it was raining when the four of you finally made the decision to head north. The drops falling lightly on your cloaks was comforting, in a way, as though all the troubles of Port Charles were being washed away.

Nothing about the rain here in Barrowtown is comforting. It's cold and heavy, the kind of rain that soaks into everything and never seems to get completely dry, as though it wants to linger there with you, reminding you that there's nothing you can do to stop it from falling. People here talk about the rain as though it's alive, wondering what it wants or why it's bothering their poor old town.

Tonight, however, feels particularly menacing. A new sound has joined the storm's song: a faint howl - or perhaps a wailing, depending on who you ask. Sure, some of the younger folks say it's just the wind or perhaps a bit of thunder. But the majority - and a vocal majority at that - talk about old legends and creeping dangers.

The inn is already getting crowded, but now even more people are seeking shelter within its walls. They're whispering about monsters lurking in the storm, and they're looking for someone to do something about it.

And this is where we start. The four of you are at a table in the inn's common room. Someone from the town will probably approach you and start talking to you soon, but I thought I'd be polite and give you a chance to speak first, whether it's to each other or to an NPC.

Halath tries to catch the eye of one of the overworked barmaids. If he's able to do so, when she comes over to the table he motions to his compatriots and says, "Miss? I'd like another round of that mulled cider for my friends and myself. It's the only thing that seems to help shake the chill."

edited January 2014
    "This is seriously the worst," Sophia grumbles as she wrings the water out of her forest-green cape that's draped over one shoulder. "I should have at least brought something that had a hood. Perrin, why didn't you remind me to do that?"

The red-haired halfing--who's in the middle of checking how much of their belongings got wet--looks up at her. "I did remind you to do that."

"Why didn't you remind me louder?"

The butler shrugs. "Sore throat." As Sophia begins to open her mouth, he adds, "And your hair looks as fine as rain-soaked hair can possibly look. So stop worrying and enjoy yourself."

Feigning weariness, she sighs dramatically and says, "If I must."

She takes a sip of her beer, then looks over at Geoffrey. "Well, I guess you won't be doing much business here after all, huh?"

At Halath's cue, Perrin points at his empty glass. "I'll have another brandy, please," he says to the waitress.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    edited January 2014
    Geoffrey smiles warmly to the company, "Eh, 'snot so bad! Little rain never hurt anyone. Just gotta remember to be prepared for these things."

Ah, yes, Barrowtown. Nice place to visit.

Well

There's worse places to visit, at least.

Still, better than Port Charles. Better business contacts, as well, from the sound of things.

Will try to get an actual sheet put together tomorrow. Do we have to take starting packages, or can we opt for the 175 instead?

Also something of note, as both a merchant and cook, very little of Geoffrey's money is actual coin. Most of it is in the form of various herbs and spices.

Geoffrey taps the bar in front of himself, ordering an ale. "You never know. Could drum something up," he offers, scanning the crowd for potential customers, or possible marks, "if we really needed."

Tox on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    "I quite like the rain, really. Sure, it would have been nicer if it didn't rain so much, but we're inside for now."

Theresa smiles as she takes a drink from her cup, tapping her fingers with no real rhythm as she watches the crowd.

"Besides, rain adventures are sometimes the best, or at least afterwards when you get to come in, renewed with victory and a warm hearth. One of the best feelings, that."

edited January 2014
    "It's not the rain I mind, it's the blasted chill that clings to it."

When the barmaid brings the cider, Halath wraps his hands around the hot mug, as if to wring all heat from it. He looks around and notices that once again, he is probably the only elf. That and the rain reminded him of a party long ago.

"Remember that time at Baroness Quartermain's birthday party? It was a summer tea party that, I swear, almost got washed into the sea by a sudden thunderstorm. I seem to recall you not being nearly so fond of rain or rain related adventures that day."

Nealneal on
    You don't have to take the starting equipment packages.

Your drink orders are filled without too much delay, which is a credit to the staff here given how busy the inn has become. Of course, gratitude for the help that the four of you have provided over the last few days has probably gone a long way toward the good service you're getting.

A woman approaches your table after you've had a minute to taste your drinks. She clears her throat. "Excuse me," she says, speaking quietly but confidently, "I wanted to introduce myself to you. My name is Gidra Delmenth. I'm the mayor here. I just wanted to thank you for everything you've done for my people over the last few days. I know you're just passing through, but your help is very much appreciated." She gestures to an open seat at your table. "May I sit for a moment?"

edited January 2014
    Geoffrey stands, giving a slight nod to the mayor, "Of course, of course, we're happy to help. And even happier to have been hired to do so" he adds with a smile and a tap of his coinpurse. He gestures to the remaining, empty chair at the table, "Please, join us. The weather's not suitable for much but a nice drink and a warm conversation tonight."

Tox on
    Gidra smiles and sits. "Yes, well given that the Ingiray family is safe in their home instead of stuck on the west bridge, I would say it's been a wise investment." She sighs. "Unfortunately, warm conversation isn't the whole of my purpose here. I have a request I must make of you. Two requests, I suppose."

Sophia rests her arms on the table and leans forward. "Well, don't keep us in suspense."

IKknkhU.gif
    Theresa perks up her eyebrows, trying to hide her excitement. Request from mayors often lead to the most interesting of jobs. Or you're late on dues, either way, a lot of running and excitement!

As he sips the warm cider, Halath looks on in anticipation. He knew Geoffrey would easily handle the negotiations.

"I'll get right to it then," she says, before taking a deep breath. "It's my sister. She's gone missing, and I'm terrified of what might have happened to her in this storm. I need you to find her, please."

Oh god dammit I'm the face, aren't I?

Geoffrey shares a look with his company, than returns to the mayor's attention, trying to reason out the best questions to ask first. "How long has she been missing? What can you tell us?" he offers. Geoffrey's never really been much on an investigator type, and usually deals with missing cargo more than people, but he knows this is a big deal.

Gidra sighs again. You get the feeling she's been doing a lot of that lately. "Chloe hasn't been well for some time now. She hardly eats, barely sleeps, and often has these ... episodes where she claims that something is talking to her. She says the voices call to her and tell her to go to the Old Barrows. She says that she has to go 'wake them up' so that they'll leave her alone.

She's never actually acted on it before. We've always been able to talk her down and keep her inside, but she got worse when the rain started. I tried my best to take care of her, but eventually I had to see to the safety of the rest of the town. I finally made it back home yesterday to check on her, and that's when I saw that she was gone."

Theresa furrows her brow, that almost sounds like something she heard of before, almost. Oh well, probably nothing.

"Well, that does sound dangerous. Who knows what could be sleeping down there. I'm sure we would love to help, isn't that right?"

Halath gives a less than certain look to Theresa, but then nods and says, "What can you tell us about the Old Barrows?"

"I know that they're old, even older than their name implies. City records indicate that they were here before Barrowtown was founded. There are rumored to be hundreds of them in these hills, if not thousands, but only a few entrances have actually been uncovered. I honestly can't say much more about them, I'm afraid. Most of what's been written about them has been lost to time."

edited January 2014
    Halath seems a little more unhappy when faced with hundreds of things to explore in this damned rain. He says, "The Old Barrows sound irresistable to young folks. Any stories of local youth venturing inside?"

Nealneal on