Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 5E] Barrowtown - A 5E PbP (Game's done! Post-game discussion is open!)

1356724

Posts

  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    "It's not much to start on, but at least it's something," Sophia says.

    Perrin takes a sip of his brandy and adds, "If we leave soon, we might be able to find any tracks your sister might have left."

    Sophia nods. "Yeah, definitely. You wouldn't happen to have a map of where those entrances are, would you?"

    While she waits for a response, she wracks her brain for any bits of information she might remember about the Old Barrows.

    Arcana or History for Old Barrows: 1d20 14 (16 for Arcana, 17 for History)

    Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Sophia, while Gidra talks you're reminded of something. You remember that Barrowtown was originally founded as a trading outpost, but steadily grew into a larger city as time went on. A lot of that growth started right after the founders discovered the barrows beneath the hills. Rumor has it that the founders found treasure in the barrows and used that wealth to build the city, but that was always dismissed as a coincidence.

    "Kids in the Old Barrows?" Gidra laughs, an exasperated sound that shows just how often she's had to deal with that particular problem. "They have their favorite spot, but I don't think that's where Chloe would go. Whenever I could get anything out of her she would talk about a different entrance, somewhere deep beneath Beggar's Ridge. I've never heard of it, to be honest, and I don't want to ask about it. Not now, anyway. Which brings me to my other request."

    Gidra lowers her voice, so as not to be overheard. "I'm sure you've heard people talking about the strange noises that they've started hearing. I'm worried about them too. Ordinarily I would shrug it off as a trick of the wind, but with what's been happening to Chloe, I just don't know. I want you to investigate the noises and see if you can find their source - discretely. Tensions are already high around here. I don't want to make things worse."

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Finishing his drink, Halath sets down his tankard and ponders the Mayor's words.

    Quietly he whispers, "Then I think we should find this entrance below Beggar's Ridge and see if we can put an end to the first of these problems. I hope they are not as related as they seem."

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    With her sincere thanks, Gidra hands you a hand-drawn map showing you how to get to Beggar's Ridge and where she thinks the hidden entrance might be.

    If you have anything else to say or do while in the inn, go ahead. Otherwise I'll just cut to you heading for Beggar's Ridge.

    Also, since we have some non-combatants here (Perrin and others), I should make it clear that they have decided not to go with you on this particular venture. They are going to stay put and see to your affairs and the affairs of the townspeople, hopefully keeping everyone calm until you get back. If you have specific tasks you'd like them to perform, let me (them?) know.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Halath is ready to go.

  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    "While, we're gone, Perrin, I'd like you to scour this town's library," Sophia says.

    Perrin raises an eyebrow. "For what purpose?"

    "Well, with any luck we'll go into the Old Barrows, find Chloe, defeat whatever's responsible for this and that'll be the end. If it's more complicated, though, we may need to know more about this place's history. Specifically look for records of events that occurred before the founding of the town."

    IKknkhU.gif
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Theresa gets up gathering her gear quickly, then waves and smiles over to her cohorts in the corner, doing, whatever it is they do when she isn't looking.

    "Alright then, off into the rain we go then."

  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Geoffrey nods to his companions, "It seems we've rested as long as was needed. The sooner we get out there, the sooner we'll find Chloe. In the meantime," he turns back to Gidra, "Regarding the noises, is there anybody you think we could talk to about them that could give us more information about what they're hearing?"

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    A little while later...

    Barrowtown isn't a particularly large city. In fact, population-wise it's quite small. The way it's spread out, however, over the hills and ridges that lead up to one of the few safe passages through the northern mountains, makes it difficult to navigate. Numerous bridges cross over valleys, canyons, and streams. Staircases and ramps lead you up and down elevations where streets and buildings cross over and into each other like some kind of bizarre painting.

    Thankfully Gidra's map has been accurate. You can see Beggar's Ridge ahead of you, just across the next bridge. There's nothing about Beggar's Ridge that gives any indication as to why it would have that name. It's basically just an old, weathered cliff overlooking a dry - well, normally dry anyway - ravine. Perhaps, like many other things, its true history has been lost to time.

    In any case, the rain is still pouring down and you're not getting any closer to finding the hidden entrance by just standing here.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Halath looks to the others and says, "I'll take a look around, let's see if we can find a way out this rain quickly."

    With that he draws his longbow and pulls his hood down a little further and heads across the bridge.


    I'll go ahead and throw out my perception roll.
    Geth roll 2d20k1 for Wisdom (Perception)

    Wisdom (Perception):
    2d20k1 8 [2d20k1=[8], 2]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Halath, the storm makes it remarkably difficult to see and hear anything at any kind of distance. As you try your best to scout across the bridge, the howling wind whips around you, nearly blinding you. You then quickly realize that it's not the wind that's howling, but four wolves, large and aggressive, stalking toward you.

    Roll Initiative!

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    geth roll 1d20+3 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20+3 10 [1d20=7]

  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    geth roll 1d20+3 for Geoffrey's Initiative

    Geoffrey's Initiative:
    1d20+3 5 [1d20=2]

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    geth roll 1d20-1 for Theresa's Initiative


    Theresa's Initiative:
    1d20-1 5 [1d20=6]

  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Shophia's Initiative

    Shophia's Initiative:
    1d20+3 5 [1d20=2]

    IKknkhU.gif
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    I was certain I was going last... Geth doesn't like us it seems.

    am0n
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Have you guys not sent in your dues?

    We accept PayPal and Google Wallet. :rotate:



    OrokosPA.png
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    In all seriousness, I haven't in a while and will do that right now. It's not much, but thanks for all the work.

    Nealneal on
    Infidel
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Wasn't intending to fish but thank you!

    OrokosPA.png
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Round 1

    The wolves are much faster than the four of you, and they don't waste any time before closing in for the kill. One lunges straight at Geoffrey, but doesn't find anything more than air with its first bite. The remaining wolves converge on Halath, using their skills as pack hunters to try to bring him down.

    Wolf 1 moves to D4, then uses Bite vs Geoffrey. The attack misses.

    Wolf 2 moves to E7, then uses Bite vs Halath. The attack hits for 3 piercing damage.

    Wolf 3 moves to E8, then uses Vite vs Halath. The attack hits for 4 piercing damage.

    Wolf 4 moves to F9, the uses its action to hustle to F8.

    enc01-round1.jpg

    Wolf 1 - HP 5/5; AC 12
    Loc: D4; Status: Normal.
    Wolf 2 - HP 5/5; AC 12
    Loc: E7; Status: Normal.
    Wolf 3 - HP 5/5; AC 12
    Loc: E8; Status: Normal.
    Wolf 4 - HP 5/5; AC 12
    Loc: F8; Status: Normal.
    Halath - HP 5/12; AC 14
    Loc: F7; Status: Normal.
    Geoffrey - HP 7/7; AC 15
    Loc: D3; Status: Normal.
    Sophia - HP 8/8; AC 14
    Loc: G3; Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 9/9; AC 18
    Loc: E3; Status: Normal.

    Up Next: @Nealneal

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Reeling from the unexpected onslaught, Halath fires an arrow at one of the attacking wolves and draws one of his short swords with his right hand.

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for To Hit Wolf 3
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for Damage

    To Hit Wolf 3:
    1d20+4 22 [1d20=18]
    Damage:
    1d8+3 10 [1d8=7]

  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Haha, your :10bux: is paying off already!

    OrokosPA.png
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
    am0n
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Halath's arrow pierces through the wolf, which falls to the ground in a lifeless heap. A moment later it disappears in a cloud of black smoke, which is quickly carried away by the wind.

    @Tox is up next.

  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Sorry!

    Geoffrey sighs, "Wolves. Why's it always gotta be wolves?" His humor is quickly broken by the large beast lunging for him, which he manages to fend off as he draws his twin blades, then returns with a lunge of his own, missing the beast but maintaining his own defense.

    Tox on
    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 2#1d20+4 for two shortsword attacks

    two shortsword attacks:
    2#1d20+4 2 # 10 [1d20=6] 8 [1d20=4]

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    "I don't think these are ordinary wolves, Geoffrey," Sophia says as she draws her rapier. "Though at least they still fall just as quickly."

    She moves up to one of the wolves still surrounding Halath and stabs at it.

    Sophia moves to E6

    Geth roll 1d20+4 to hit Wolf 2
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for damage

    to hit Wolf 2:
    1d20+4 10 [1d20=6]
    damage[/color]:
    1d8+3 6 [1d8=3]

    Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    @Melding I really hope your luck won't be quite as terrible as Tox's and mine.

    IKknkhU.gif
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    "That's the spirit! A minor annoyance at best." Theresa states, jabbing her spear at the closest wolf. "It'll get us warmed up for a real fight."

    get roll 1d20+3 to hit wolf one
    geth roll 1d6+2 for damage

    damage:
    1d6+2 6 [1d6=4]

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Seriously, go to hell H key.
    geth roll 1d20+3 to hit wolf one
    Next up is @ Denada right?



    to hit wolf one:
    1d20+3 17 [1d20=14]

  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Might I suggest a more concise rolling format? Some people may prefer it and I don't see it a lot, so I'm thinking maybe just aren't aware, so putting it out there... excuse me heh.

    Geth roll 1d20+3;1d6+2 for attack on wolf example

    Puts it all horizontal and groups things, which is even better for multiple actions / DM posts.

    edit: woops, hit the bug with Geth parsing that truncates if you use the word "on" :rotate: but you get the idea

    attack:
    1d20+3 6 [1d20=3]
    1d6+2 5 [1d6=3]

    Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Round 2

    The strange wolves continue their attack, with one of the remaining beasts succeeding in bringing Halath to the ground. The second wolf's response continues to belie their unnatural nature, since instead of dragging its prey away to be eaten, it springs forward in an attempt to shed more blood. In its haste, however, it fails to actually bite Sophia, instead of just snapping at her.

    Wolf 2 attacks Halath with Bite, hitting for 5 damage.

    Wolf 4 moves to G4, then attacks Sophia with Bite. The attack misses.

    enc01-round2.jpg

    Wolf 2 - HP 5/5; AC 12
    Loc: E7; Status: Normal.
    Wolf 4 - HP 5/5; AC 12
    Loc: G4; Status: Normal.
    Halath - HP 0/12; AC 14
    Loc: F7; Status: Dying (0 succeses; 0 failures).
    Geoffrey - HP 7/7; AC 15
    Loc: D3; Status: Normal.
    Sophia - HP 8/8; AC 14
    Loc: G3; Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 9/9; AC 18
    Loc: E3; Status: Normal.

    Up Next: @Nealneal to make a Death Roll, then @Tox

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20 for Death Roll

    Death Roll:
    1d20 13 [1d20=13]

    Elvenshae
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Geoffrey breaths a sigh of relief as Theresa drops the wolf attacking them, then grimaces as Halath drops to the ground, barreling toward the wolf
    Move to D6
    His blades stab into the wolf before it can make a meal of the elf.
    forgot Halath can't take actions, so no sneak damage

    Tox on
    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular

    Geth roll 1d20+4;1d6+3 for first attack on wolf 2
    Geth roll 1d20+4;1d6+3 for second attack on wolf 2
    Geth roll 1d6 for sneak attack damage (applied to first hit)

    first attack:
    1d20+4 7 [1d20=3]
    1d6+3 4 [1d6=1]
    second attack:
    1d20+4 18 [1d20=14]
    1d6+3 6 [1d6=3]
    sneak attack damage (applied to first hit):
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    "Woah! Down, boy!" Sophia exclaims as she dodges the wolf's jaws and counters with a thrust of her rapier.

    Geth roll 1d20+4; 1d8+3 for Attack on Wolf 4

    Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Oh, okay, I SHOULDN'T have hit the spacebar. Let's try again.

    Geth roll 1d20+4;1d8+3 for Attack on Wolf 4

    EDIT: WELP!

    Attack:
    1d20+4 7 [1d20=3]
    1d8+3 9 [1d8=6]

    Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Theresa scans the battlefield briefly, deciding that trying to end the fight quickly would do more to prevent harm she goes after the remaining wolf.

    move to F4
    Geth roll 1d20+3;1d6+2 for attacking wolf 4

    attacking wolf 4:
    1d20+3 14 [1d20=11]
    1d6+2 8 [1d6=6]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Wolf 2 has 2 HP left since Geoffrey doesn't add his ability mod to damage on the second melee attack. However, Wolf 2's next attack misses, so I'm going to go ahead and call this one.

    Everyone gets 40 XP. Normally this would be 20 XP each, but I generally speed up leveling to help offset the slower pace of a PbP.


    Although the last wolf tries one more desperate lunge at Geoffrey, the young rogue is too fast for it. One more strike from Geoffrey's blade brings the wolf down, and it disappears in a puff of black smoke just like the others.

    The four of you are now alone on the bridge again, though Halath is in bad shape. What are you going to do?

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Theresa quickly runs iver to the downed elf, casting Spare the Dying to make sure he is stable.

    "Well, perhaps a quick rest is in order. These wolfa mad e a bit of a mess."

    phone posting . Please excuse my poor typing. Will be back at a computer tomorrow

Sign In or Register to comment.