As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shovel Knight] Strike the Earth!

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Quick Plague of Shadows question.
    At Pridemoor Keep, how do you get to Chester? The only way I could see is through the Shovel Knight opening, which Plague can't use.
    He can use it.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    At Pridemoor Keep, how do you get to Chester? The only way I could see is through the Shovel Knight opening, which Plague can't use.

Can he not? :P

Vyolynce wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    One of the first things you need to buy when you turn in your first batch of Cipher Coins is the Burst mod that lets you slowly float down from each one.

Burst Jumps instantly change from stressful panicking rocket jumps to you hope somewhere safe to rocket jumps that give you bonkers altitude while you casually float to where ever you want to go.

I've unlocked three different bursts after this one, and I see no reason to change from it thus far.

I switch to different bursts for boss fights. Usually the one with the big pink blast.

I use everything but the float burst all the time. You can't charge a burst during a float burst, so if you do have the rhythm down, you can just go so much further with the other bursts.

And of course, there is the Vat.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular

Can he not? :P

Oh, damn it. I thought I tried that, too.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    This game is really hard.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Finished up Plague Knight. This game is such a treasure. I know there's more Shovel content coming, but I really can't wait to see what they put out next, considering how different they made this feel compared to the main campaign.

I'm just blown away by what these developers have pulled off twice now.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Can't wait to see how specter knight plays.

I wonder if we'll get to fly.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Can't wait to see how specter knight plays.

I wonder if we'll get to fly.

Shovel Knight will be turned into a shmup

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    If I had to guess based on Plague

Spectre Knight will be super fast and focus on range attacking and summoning mobs He might not fly but I bet he has 4-5 jumps

King Knight will have air dashes be slow as hell and hella HP

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I think the creators said somewhere that they were considering making Spectre Knight function by constantly running out of health, that could be replenished by killing enemies

It'd be nice if he wasn't able to die from falling. Y'know, because he can fly.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    It'd be nice if he wasn't able to die from falling. Y'know, because he can fly.

Hopefully some of his stages would involve flying constantly, turning the game into a sort of shmup. That'd be pretty neat

JtgVX0H.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    The expansion is beautiful and I love it. I'm only half way through it, but I love all the attention to detail that they've done for it. It's really great.

Didn't they suggest King Knight would have a Swag Meter, or something? That you would fill by strutting around?

• Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    Yes indeed!

I wondered myself how close they struck to those original design possibilities back so long ago.

For Plague Knight,
    It's pretty dang close!

Play Style:
    • Bomb Arsenal – Multiple types of potion bombs
    • Bomb Jumping – Explosions can propel Plague Knight to new heights.
    • Invisibility – Escape into the unseen to avoid damage.
    • Resource Management – Break down objects to get raw resources. Use resources to create more powerful bombs.
    • Random Bomb – Blindly pluck a random bomb from your pouch but be prepared to think on your feet
    They hit it pretty much on the head. Smoke bomb is basically invisibility. The final upgrade is supposed to be "Random Bomb". That being said Resource Management doesn't really exist. The mana bar Plague Knight gets refills automatically. Cipher Coins are a very straight forward upgrade system. Nice to see that they backed away from ideas that didn't quite work for them though. Plague Knight is fairly complicated without trying to do alchemy on the go.

Cool stuff.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I'm halfway through Pridemoor Keep I think? And I really don't like Plague Knight's move set. The fact that he slows down for half a sec every time you throw a bomb really bums me out since it interrupts my momentum. And the charge jump and just general rules for jumping and momentum just don't feel right to me.

I feel like I'm expecting to be able to play Shovel Knight again, complete with the effortless movement and attacking that goes with that, and Plague Knight is not effortless at all. I died 10 or so times on one of the jumps in the tutorial level and I never once felt like I knew why or what I was supposed to do differently. I never felt like that with original Shovel Knight.

It's super frustrating to play right now. I don't think I'll get very far. At least it was free.

Renzo on
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Can anyone tell me how to update the Wii U version to Plague of Shadows? I had no trouble with the 3DS version but I've been trying to do this for half an hour and can't find how to do it anywhere. YCG site says it does it automatically but it hasn't. What am I missing?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Can anyone tell me how to update the Wii U version to Plague of Shadows? I had no trouble with the 3DS version but I've been trying to do this for half an hour and can't find how to do it anywhere. YCG site says it does it automatically but it hasn't. What am I missing?

Are you sure it hasn't? Check the version number in Options. If it's 2.0 then it's updated, but you won't have Plague of Shadows until you either beat the vanilla game or enter a code that the developers give you in one of their news posts.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    I'm halfway through Pridemoor Keep I think? And I really don't like Plague Knight's move set. The fact that he slows down for half a sec every time you throw a bomb really bums me out since it interrupts my momentum. And the charge jump and just general rules for jumping and momentum just don't feel right to me.

I feel like I'm expecting to be able to play Shovel Knight again, complete with the effortless movement and attacking that goes with that, and Plague Knight is not effortless at all. I died 10 or so times on one of the jumps in the tutorial level and I never once felt like I knew why or what I was supposed to do differently. I never felt like that with original Shovel Knight.

It's super frustrating to play right now. I don't think I'll get very far. At least it was free.

There's a steep learning curve going from Shovel Knight to Plague Knight but once you get used to him you'll see that in terms of movement and attack, Plague Knight can run, leap, and bomb toss circles around Shovel Knight.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

Are you sure it hasn't? Check the version number in Options. If it's 2.0 then it's updated, but you won't have Plague of Shadows until you either beat the vanilla game or enter a code that the developers give you in one of their news posts.

This was incredibly frustrating to me, since I had an existing New Game+ save sitting right there in character select. Yes, I have beaten the game, thank you.

Thank goodness for the cheat code.

(Impact Fuse and Cluster Powder is civilization)

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Thanks for that information. I'll check that out. I think I beat the game on Wii U. But not 100% sure.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oh! I see. So the Smoke Bomb is supposed to emulate his teleportation trick? I guess now I can feel like full boss-fight mode Plague Knight.

• carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    Yes indeed!

I wondered myself how close they struck to those original design possibilities back so long ago.

For Plague Knight,
    It's pretty dang close!

Play Style:
    • Bomb Arsenal – Multiple types of potion bombs
    • Bomb Jumping – Explosions can propel Plague Knight to new heights.
    • Invisibility – Escape into the unseen to avoid damage.
    • Resource Management – Break down objects to get raw resources. Use resources to create more powerful bombs.
    • Random Bomb – Blindly pluck a random bomb from your pouch but be prepared to think on your feet
    They hit it pretty much on the head. Smoke bomb is basically invisibility. The final upgrade is supposed to be "Random Bomb". That being said Resource Management doesn't really exist. The mana bar Plague Knight gets refills automatically. Cipher Coins are a very straight forward upgrade system. Nice to see that they backed away from ideas that didn't quite work for them though. Plague Knight is fairly complicated without trying to do alchemy on the go.

Cool stuff.

Oh wow... now I want the others too!
    Well maybe they could make some paid DLC?
    To be honest, after all their crazytalk about making a N64 sequel I don't want an actual sequel anymore, so they can keep milking this game for as long as it's possible!

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
    edited September 2015
    Shovel knight 64 is after they do Super Shovel knight. Their intent is to use SK to homage eras in gaming but at this rate it might not happen because they underestimated how much these free dlc would cost.

King Riptor on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Count me in for not liking Plague Knight. I don't mind the mechanics but he feels like shit to play. I hate his uncontrollable momentum, the delay in being able to do a real jump, the fact that his regular jump barely leaves the ground and he plummets like a rock.

And the health system is just..what. Why did anybody think it needed to go Dark Souls and punish you extremely hard for dying once? Like, I die to a boss and now it's fuck you, deal with it on the bare minimum of health or quit the level and do it again.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    I would have liked a Chalice or two.

Fyi his momentum is easily controllable. you move AFTER the jump not during. FLoat jump is ideal to practice this. You can also literally stop in midair at any point by attacking.

Rami wrote: »
    Count me in for not liking Plague Knight. I don't mind the mechanics but he feels like shit to play. I hate his uncontrollable momentum, the delay in being able to do a real jump, the fact that his regular jump barely leaves the ground and he plummets like a rock.

And the health system is just..what. Why did anybody think it needed to go Dark Souls and punish you extremely hard for dying once? Like, I die to a boss and now it's fuck you, deal with it on the bare minimum of health or quit the level and do it again.

if I remember correctly, every chicken just before a boss also comes with a max health potion. So you can go with +1 health, or stockpile the potions with each attempt.

• KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    I hated Plague Knight during the introduction stage. That introduction stage saying "hey, charge to get an extra jump" just made me think he had a single jump.

I played the entire introduction stage not being aware of a double jump until one of the town stage characters said so. Then it got somewhat better, but his momentum and travel distance during the blast jump is not predictable.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
    I personally like how you can chain two blast jumps together with the right timing.

• Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    I was very frustrated with the almost haphapzard movement style of Plague Knight at first too.

It took a while to break through.

It was particularly frustrating given that I knew I could beat the levels fairly easily with Shovel Knight's piddly movement. Dying to the same pit... again and again... with superior tools...!

...well, actually, that's just Shovel Knight for ya, ain't it...? Platforming is absolutely the hardest part of that game.

Shovel knight awoke my long dormant fear of bottomless pits.

I hardly ever actually get hurt as Plague Knight, so I keep my health potions in reserve until the boss of each stage and then I wreck face.

It's high risk, high reward, but I've never had an actual problem with bosses, especially with the float powder stuff. I just hover over the boss and rain death upon them.

Spectre Knight has been the hardest so far just because he far out paces you in speed and range the rest of the Order seem slow enough that you can take advantage of the health refill ability

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'ma say it again: Cluster Powder with Impact Fuse is civilization. It's three hits on a single direct hit, with the occasional hit or two on a near-miss. Normal enemies are trivialized. Bosses melt. If you are struggling, put those two things on, take your choice of casing, and suffer no longer.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Beat it last night.

Ending was so cute, omg.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So, there's been some updates about the physical release of Shovel Knight. Sadly, not a lot of it is good news.

Official statement here.

The Cliff's notes:

-Releasing Oct. 30 in Europe, Nov. 3 in U.S.
    -XBox One retail version canceled
    -Price increased to $24.99
    -All physical copies come with a digital soundtrack (though this is already pay-what-you-want)
    -No updates on a physical Vita version
    -No updates on the amiibo

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    Really sucks about the XB1 version. I wonder what the hold up on it was.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    dragonsama wrote: »
    Really sucks about the XB1 version. I wonder what the hold up on it was.

Microsoft had REALLY pissy policies toward indies in general when the One launched -- stuff like if they didn't release first on the One, they couldn't release on the platform at all. I thought a bunch of those had been loosened now that Ballmer's out, but I guess there's still a few left.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Don't forget: the Shovel Knight Amiibo comes out this Friday.

Though you might have to fight for him:

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Don't forget: the Shovel Knight Amiibo comes out this Friday.

Though you might have to fight for him:

What do you mean this friday. I've already seen half a dozen on shelves. Or does it come out later in America? 'Cause I'm in Spain. But yeah, if I bought amiibos, I could have come home yesterday with one no problem, they were already for sale.

Steam ID: Right here.