As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shovel Knight] Strike the Earth!

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Maybe I'll get the other modes after NG+

Which is basically Zelda-style Hero Mode. Double damage, and all wall chicken has been replaced with bombs.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I has a shuvel

Got to the first town. Game is wonderful so far.

• Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Anyone know how to access the three extra character modes?

Unfortunately that content is not done via this post http://www.destructoid.com/psa-here-s-the-status-on-all-of-the-shovel-knight-kickstarter-rewards-and-stretch-goals-276858.phtml
    That being said all the extra goodies should be free once its done.

edited June 2014
    Ah, good to know I'm not just missing something.

Well, the base game is a blast to play, albeit fairly short. NG+ provides some nice new challenges by cutting down on healing and checkpoints (Use those ichors wisely). I'll await the other modes with great anticipation, as I want more out of this fun game.

Oh, by the way, that was just the best setup for a rematch gauntlet.

Enlong on
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh, by the way, that was just the best setup for a rematch gauntlet.

I didn't even mention it because there's no way I was going to spoil that for anyone.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Y'all mentioning this feels like an upgraded NES game reminded me of this article: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php

JtgVX0H.png
    Oh, to be sure, that's something to be experienced for oneself. I'm not gonna say anything more specific.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Something fun I discovered: You can shatter checkpoints for a nice wad of cash.

The downside, of course, is that you can no longer use that checkpoint.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    I discovered that by accident in the second to last level....

Also, anyone unlocked a last set of armor in that empty space? I bought everything but there's one spot left and nothing showed up.

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Some of the reviews mentioned that. It's an interesting way to give the player choice about upping the difficulty. I bought this for my 3DS as I'm going on vacation. Gives me a nice assortment of games.

Oh, cool. You can still find healing fish with the fishing rod in NG+

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The only small issue I see with destroying checkpoints is that money isn't as rare and valuable as I thought it was, more so since you can replay a stage if you need more. It's not the risk/reward system I first thought it was. It's really just something you can do if that's your thing, and the gem is a neat bonus.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Money shouldn't really be a problem, but losing bags when you die is a pretty nice risk/reward system in case you feel like being a quitter.

BTW, The Spectre Knight stage has the best music so far. Just beat King and Spectre. Spectre was probably the trickier one, but letting him come to you is the easiest option.

edzepp on
    I really hate the flashing lightning segments of Spectre Knights stage. It hurts my eyes pretty bad.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I wrapped this up last night, and played a bit of the New Game+ to work on finishing some Feats. This is such a solid game. Can't wait for them to add the additional content since it's just so much fun to play, but I'm thoroughly pleased with it as it stands. They made a really great world here.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I've only played through the King Knight and Specter Knight stages, but goddamn did the Specter Knight stage give me serious NES Castlevania vibes. Felt good.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I wish they had made a knight who wears semi-revealing neglige. With like, straps and lace and stuff.

They could call him the Nighty Knight.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Made it halfway through the Order of No Quarter, King, Spectre, Plague and Mole. Actually Plague Knight was the easiest. I figured out on the second try that as long as you stay in the middle and control your downthrusts, he's very vulnerable to multihit combos.

Oh yeah, and ran into the Baz. :P

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I wish they had made a knight who wears semi-revealing neglige. With like, straps and lace and stuff.

This is actually a pretty great idea

JtgVX0H.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

This is actually a pretty great idea

That's my one for the year. I'm going home!

Oh man, the Fishing Rod is so much more useful in NG+ you will need to stop and catch some healing fish every now and then.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    The e-mail that links to the original and super arranged soundtracks on their bandcamp pages are really nice.

I feel like Plains of Passage is the best track of the original soundtrack. So catchy and upbeat, and gives me all those classic Capcom NES feels.

Black Knight track comes a close second. :)

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

The gold armor that says it's useless in its description isn't actually completely useless.
    If you use a shortcut catapult, you'll stick the landing like a boss. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I'm looking forward to playing this game, hope it grows.

Imagine the spin off starring Shield Knight; use her shield to deflect attacks or ride it like a surf board. :D

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
    Or just shield-bash dudes into paste.

Also, pfftahaha. The track for the Bonus Gallery boss is "Backed Into A Corner".

...speaking of the soundtrack...

Oh man, I can't wait to everyone's reaction to the last Black Knight boss fight. Literally the hypest.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Do you ever upgrade your shovel? I know you can get moves for it, but I'm wondering if you actually do something to the weapon itself.

Magus` wrote: »
    Do you ever upgrade your shovel? I know you can get moves for it, but I'm wondering if you actually do something to the weapon itself.

Nah, the physical damage output and range of the shovel remain constant.

Well, I mean, there is the Dynamo Armor, which gives you a free charge slash if you can do 2 shovel bounces without touching ground, but that's it as far as direct shovel power boosts go.

I think that's fine. The subweapons give you a lot of versatility, and the shovel's starting moves give you a lot of power to begin with at any rate.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    That's a shame, I'm a sucker for upgradeable weapons. Right now I only have the charge attack for the shovel, I wasn't sure how good the others were.

Also none of the armor seemed worth buying, but maybe that's me.

edited June 2014
    The Dynamo Armor, at the very least, is a straight upgrade. No downsides, and it gives you a charge slash for free by doing 2 bounces. Unlike the manual charge slash, you don't move slow while holding a Dynamo Armor charge slash.

I also liked the Conjurer's Coat, for magic spamming, but the defense cut is tricky to deal with. I haven't even tried using it in NG+ yet.

The Ornate Armor is a joke armor, but it looks nice, and is no worse than the standard armor.

I feel the Final Guard is a solution looking for a problem, though, and I've not tried out the Armor of Momentum enough to say much about it.

Enlong on
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    The dynamo armor also builds that charge off destroying rocks and such too. Even if the attack doesn't hurt the enemy it'll count em up. So bounce on those shield using a-holes and then charge slap em.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    The Dynamo Armor, at the very least, is a straight upgrade. No downsides, and it gives you a charge slash for free by doing 2 bounces. Unlike the manual charge slash, you don't move slow while holding a Dynamo Armor charge slash.

I also liked the Conjurer's Coat, for magic spamming, but the defense cut is tricky to deal with. I haven't even tried using it in NG+ yet.

The Ornate Armor is a joke armor, but it looks nice, and is no worse than the standard armor.

I feel the Final Guard is a solution looking for a problem, though, and I've not tried out the Armor of Momentum enough to say much about it.

The Ornate Armor is not a joke, it makes you look cool. That's not a joke!

edited June 2014
    I believe the charge-slash pierces their shields as well.

Basically, Dynamo Armor is the armor you use if you don't want to deal with risk/reward armors.

Oh, and I now have the soundtrack and the arrange! Flowers of Antimony all day!

Enlong on
    I haven't really experimented with the magic armor, but I can some cheeze potential. Blast everything in the level with fireball/anchor/horn spam, and then abuse the hell out of the phasing bracelet for bosses. I'll admit to leaning quite a bit on the latter, and that's just with the default magic limit.

Phase Locket rules, this is fact.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Conjurer's is one of those things that become more versatile as you progress.

• EvilpolarbearEvilpolarbear Registered User regular
    Still super sad this got delayed on EU's 3DS eShop. I know Steam is there, but most of my gaming is portable nowadays.

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Whoever designed the freaking wolves, the freaking ladder axe throwers and the freaking dive-bombing dragon things on the freaking ice level can go freak themselves.

The guy who designed the cool statue/rainbow path spewer, you're all right.

It's getting to the point where the levels themselves are probably worse than the actual bosses.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Which platform seems to have best controls?